PS4-Watch_Dogs

3D Dot Game Heroes Trailer!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar + Posted by Aram Jabbari on Mar 25, 2010 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

PlayStation.Blog readers,

EPIC TRAILER MUSIC! EPIC TRAILER TEXT! EPIC TRAILER!

EPIC TRAILER IS EPIC!

3D Dot Game Heroes, the PlayStation 3 exclusive that promises to inject retro-saccharin goodness directly into your corneas (those are part of your eyes, whippersnappers), has a full video trailer… And here it is! (Well, it’s actually right above this text. We can see how that could be confusing.)

So why should you be excited? Aside from the retro 3D visuals, ear-gratifying musical score, and extremely addicting, nostalgic action-adventure gameplay, you mean? Well… BECAUSE IT HAS TRAILER MUSIC! Did you hear it? Like, the part with the chorus singing in the background? Who cares if the game is awesome (it is, by the way) when you have trailer music with voices chanting in the background!?

Oh, and to address a couple comments that have been popping up in posts relating to 3D Dot Game Heroes:

1. The huge swords evident in some screens/videos do NOT break the game. It is not a design flaw. You’re only that big when you’re at FULL health (intuitive, right?), and you’ll rarely be at full health for long stretches of time. Moreover, only near the end of the game will you have a sword THAT large, not to mention one with the ability to penetrate geometry (i.e. trees, rocks, etc). Many of the swords cannot and will not swing out all the way in those situations, making size… well… irrelevant. Ask anyone who’s played the game: it’s not about how big it is, it’s about… oh, nevermind.
  2. The game DOES look amazing in person; you’ll just have to trust us on this. Even videos often fail to do the game justice.
  3. There is no multiplayer component to the game.
  4. We’re not currently planning any pre-order bonus items. We view the super cool $39.99 price point as a rather nice bonus.
  5. The game has a number of significant improvements over the original Japanese version, including an OPTIONAL HDD install (approximately 1.2gb in size) to reduce/eliminate load times, dozens of new, North American-exclusive load screens that parody popular game box art, and more!

Thanks for watching the trailer and reading this far down. (And “nords!” to any of you who didn’t…I can make snide comments because you’re not actually reading this.)

Please don’t forget to pre-order your copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes, coming to PlayStation 3 on May 11, 2010 with an MSRP of only $39.99!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ jimfear on March 25th, 2010 at 10:02 am said:

cant wait anymore for this game

+ stlthriot on March 25th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

Looking great! Hoping to pick this one up.
It’s been an amazing spring so far for PS3 gaming!

+ LumarQQ on March 25th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

neat

+ PullusPardusUS on March 25th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

EPIC TEXT IS EPIC!

+ vr6GOLFr32 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

you know I never really paid attention to this game but after watching this trailer, I have to say it’s awesome! It’s really reminded me of Zelda: A Link to the Past (one of my favorite games as a kid.) I definitely have to check this out now when it releases.

+ Wompdevil on March 25th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

This game can not come out soon enough! I have had it pre-ordered for months now! =D

+ GT-420 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Agree with the Zelda reference, gives me that vibe certainly. Can we see an example of the box art parodies you mention?

+ MakulaTolkien on March 25th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

EPIC!

+ HeavyToka on March 25th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

I want this game Now!

+ DarkSeraphim666 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

may 11th is SO FAR away. im so amped to play this. excited as HELL for this game.

+ Gman2989 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

I hope PlayStation really tries to advertise this game, because it truly is awesome and I am scared to see this become a sleeper hit.

+ Buzzy42 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

Vid looks awesome! The more I see about this game the more it becomes a must have. And the $39.99 price is definitely the best pre-order bonus you could’ve had. I used to buy a lot more new games at launch when I could get them for these prices!

And thank you for making the install OPTIONAL… too many games are forcing these huge mandatory installs!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on March 25th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

It was something we were very set on, to try and make to HDD install optional. Thanks to some great work on the part of From Software and Silicon Studio, it’s part of the North American and European releases of the game.

+ jiggles on March 25th, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

Atlus, you are (as always) freaking AWESOME.

*wub*

+ NeoHumpty on March 25th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Looking forward to some retro love. How about making a turn-based RPG next? Lots of gamers would hop on it, I’m sure.

+ BOKE18 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Day 1 purchase

+ mariosmaker on March 25th, 2010 at 10:19 am said:

If EPIC could be any more EPIC, this would be it.

May 11th can’t come soon enough!!

+ edinhoUSA on March 25th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

compra-se um video game caro apra jogar um joguinho desse? vaia merda sony nem deveria aceitar isso

+ Quixote on March 25th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

nords to you too

+ Jeigh on March 25th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

EPIC!!!

I think that says it all.

+ Shane_O on March 25th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

The water….is so shiny and sparkly!!!

And, yes, “nords!” to those who didn’t read your whole post!

Consider 3D Dot Game Heroes Pre-ordered! It looks awesome!

+ Zarxce on March 25th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

I’d comment, but I think my head just imploded from all the EPIC.

+ dreamitdoit on March 25th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

I’m amped about this game, but one thing I don’t understand is why is it so UNCOLORFUL? The colors just seem so muted, dark, drab, and dirty, even. It’s not what I would expect from a game that’s trying to emulate the super-bright 8 bit world. I keep waiting for a trailer or screen that shows an outdoors shot that doesn’t look like it’s in the middle of a smog cloud, but it hasn’t happened yet. What gives?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on March 25th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

Dreamitdoit,

Color saturation is actually toggle-able from the options screen. Believe me, if colors that make your eyes bleed from their intensity is your thing, you won’t be disappointed.

+ GooieGreen on March 25th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

I’m supposed to wait until May? Go [DELETED] yourself, Atlus!

Can’t wait. I’ve been mixed on it, but I’m now ready to play it. Still unsure of the dullness of the overworld color (seems very muted) and how fair it is to have a sword that can take up the whole screen.

+ Gorvi on March 25th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

I love you, Atlus. Don’t ever, ever change. :)

+ Fausk on March 25th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

Already pre-ordered and paid it off. Can’t wait for May 11th.

+ Neil on March 25th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

Pre-ordering games is very important to publishers. If you enjoy offbeat games like this and want more of them then pre-order now!

Any word on a limited edition?

+ KazeEternal on March 25th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

hmmm 40 dollars…. shaved 10 dollars off that and stick it on the PSN and you have yourself a deal.

+ Arzod on March 25th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

Umnn!! the game remain me the classic Link from NES and SNES…

+ Thrasher20 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

I’m definitely buying this game

+ Midpipps on March 25th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

I will have to preorder this it looks completely EPIC :)

+ Drencrom on March 25th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

This game should be released in Europe too :(

+ SirTrigalot on March 25th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

already on preorder

+ BigBoss712 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

Looks great, $40? not bad i will definitely be checking it out. also there have been some rumors of you guys working on a new Persona game, if true hope its for the PS3. ;)

+ Pelt_Hunter on March 25th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

I want to get this but I’m not really sure a pre-order is necessary if there’s no incentive. Then again this is kind of a smaller release so maybe I need to pre-order just to get a copy. I heard my Gamestop only got in two Just Cause 2s… other than the 2 pre-ordered ones. Which luckily I did pre-order because the guy wasn’t going to sell me the other public copy. But that’s a whole other story.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on March 25th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

Actually, there’s another reason beyond just securing a copy. Retailers look at pre-orders as one of the primary indicators of demand/interest in a game. It’s one of the reasons you see so many games offer pre-order incentives. If the game isn’t a widely known commodity (i.e. big license, sequel in a popular series, etc), a lack of pre-orders usually informs how the game will sell, and so it becomes a priority. In the case of 3D Dot Game Heroes, we’re making our bonus the price point (the aforementioned, totally awesome $39.99).

In short, if you’re interested in 3D Dot Game Heroes, we appreciate it if you’re able to pre-order a copy. It’ll help us get as many copies into stores at launch as possible!

+ Carl-G on March 25th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

If future games have ‘HDD installs’ can they all be ‘OPTIONAL HDD installs’?

+ any Demo incoming? :)

+ Voozi on March 25th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Thanks for the optional install, reduced load times are better load times.

@GT-420
Here you go; http://blog.livedoor.jp/maxell011/archives/1022850.html

Can’t wait to see what North American ones will be involved. End result may be me nostalgiaing all over myself.

+ RandomEarthling on March 25th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

This game looks like so much fun. Does it offer any incentive to replay it?

+ xBlackBloodx on March 25th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

Can anyone say A complete story remake of A Link to The Past… Man, this is bad. I can see why they would make it though. Being a pretty big fan of that big, i just might pick it up…

+ Destiny89 on March 25th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Day 1 buy

+ LokeSTL on March 25th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Pre-ordered this on Amazon as soon as it became pre-order…able. Can’t wait to get my hands on this. I’ve been waiting for an anouncement that it’s release has been moved up. Looks like that’s not gonna happen. :-(

I hope you guys will keep localising (and perhaps making) games like this and Demon’s Souls. A lot of what made games enjoyable has been lost in the quest for fantastic visuals. Games like these bring back the gameplay and simplicity of good design to this new age of gaming.

I hope that sequels are made for this and a possible turn-based RPG series as a homage to games like the original DQ and FF are being thought about.

As a show of support, I will also be buying this for every birthday and gifting holiday until all family and close friends own it. Please keep it on shelves for at least a year before stopping production.

+ adolson on March 25th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

@35

The demo costs $39.99. As an added bonus, it comes with the full game!

+ pgsdi on March 25th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

Atlus continues to show why they are without a doubt the best publisher bar none. Bringing us the very best in RPG’s

I hold you guys in the highest regard….
Well done!!

+ gumi42 on March 25th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Epic Game, Not Epic Price! Awesome thank you guys so much for bringing what looks and sounds like a grand epic adventure.
I can’t wait till May. If I didn’t see it before is the game in 720p or is it available in 1080 as well?

+ HealyHQ on March 25th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

As a hardcore Legend of Zelda fan, this game has piqued my interest. Hope a demo comes by so I can try it out to better make a decision. Then again, this is Atlus we’re talking about. I love practically all of their games!

Looking forward to this then. Haha! :)

+ boxmyth on March 25th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

Pre-ordered and awaiting release.

+ Korbei83 on March 25th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

Ugh.. if you keep pimpin’ this, I’ll have to pre-order it a second time.

+ SDkngsht on March 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

i don’t want a trailer i want a release date! lol. can’t wait for this.

hey i think someone suggested it before but releasing the create a character tool before the game’s release date would be cool. we could all have our hero ready to go day one.

+ Jocis on March 25th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

best rip off ever lol

+ KaiserSosate on March 25th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

I’ll buy it, it reminds me of zelda a lot. That is a good thing.

+ SteveW928c on March 25th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Booo hooo :o( I’m sad about no multi-player. When I first watched the trailer, all the fun I, my friends, and my wife have had playing Gauntlet over the years came to mind. While I’m sure it is still fun as a single-player, I’m sad so many games on the PS3 lose the ‘in the same room’ fun of gaming with multiple players. This seems to be the perfect kind of game FOR multi-player. Would it be possible at this point to ever add that as a feature?

And to PS3 developers…. THERE ARE still people out here would like to see more multi-player games (in the same room, on the same PS3). I LOVE the the single-player on-line experience, but don’t forget the multi-player aspect. Thanks.

PAGE 1 2 3