PS4-The Order

PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 28, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

7,440 Comments

PAGE 1 146 147 148 149

+ Shigutso-BR on April 23rd, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

@7364 irtz09

yeah, it seems… :(

+ mebmebler on April 23rd, 2010 at 3:17 pm said:

I see that Sony isn’t much better with their new 3.30 update. Many users having issues. Nice… maybe it’s a good thing many of us haven’t updated.

+ stri on April 23rd, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

@ Sven_Viking 7363:

No they won’t!
That’s something they cannot do.
Not everyone that owns a PS3 even has internet.

That would be like forcing people to obtain an ISP.
You can’t make someone sign up for internet services.

…and if they do, they’ll find themselves in a certain creek…
It’s amazing to me that they haven’t already been sued over and over again because of this issue…

…all I know is, I was a fan…and now I’m not.
They want to steal from me, then they’ve lost any future purchases on my end.
Unless they fix this, and soon…I think they may find much more issues than they anticipated.

Sony is not what they once were.
How can they possibly think this is a good idea?
God they suck!
They haven’t got a clue…hire me, I’ll show you what’s up.
Starting with your eye!
WOW!

+ fuzzyclutter on April 23rd, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

I Challenge every single one of you drama queens to read the TOS of other online content providers , heck read the TOS of your ISP , i think you will find that SCEA ‘s TOS not so sensational . Now youl’ll have to excuse me … theres fun to be had on my ps3 , no sense in wasting too much of my time with individuals boohooing about nothing … and NOTHING it is .

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 23rd, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

@fuzzyclutter #7368

“no sense in wasting too much of my time with individuals boohooing about nothing … and NOTHING it is .”

You obviously have no idea why people are angry.

+ HerbertFortoon on April 23rd, 2010 at 7:53 pm said:

I just got a PS3 used from my job for $180.00!! I will update it and be back online in just a few minutes. It’s a slim 250 gb model. Too bad Sony didn’t get a dime. ;-p

+ dr_DOOM69 on April 23rd, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

i can no longer drop avi files from playstation 3 hdd to ext usb hdd with update 3.30 they take features away without even telling you in any kind of detail.

+ eddieMX07 on April 23rd, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

who do you work for?…

+ eddieMX07 on April 23rd, 2010 at 9:03 pm said:

FuzzyClutter people are made because they (Sony) “stole” (according to the people who are mad) a feature they used frequently. The Other OS is probably the only reason they bought a PS3. Personally I’m not mad about this firmware which is almost a month old, but I could see why they are mad since they relied on this for computering power. To these people this is EVERYTHING that’s why they did not update and looking for ways to bypass this. I’m sure they ready have since Other OS users are very tech savvy and know their way around a computers.

+ Eulentier on April 23rd, 2010 at 9:30 pm said:

A moderator deleted my comment about boycotting Sony and purchasing titles for the X b o x 3 6 0 instead to hit them in the w a l l e t. I then got an e- ma i l from them stating I need to re-read the Terms of Service.

That’s enough for me to permanently jump ship – and tell everyone I know to come with me.

+ fuzzyclutter on April 23rd, 2010 at 9:40 pm said:

@ everyone First… sony didnt steal anything . you are more than free to keep linux on your system . you just cant connect to psn . Why ? because some guy by the moniker of geohot managed to compromise that feature and SO sony took it . of which was a VERY wise choice . if your going to be mad be mad at geohot . because Sony did what any corp in their RIGHT MIND WOULD DO . because if you think the majority of the gamers here want to game on a compromised network just so a few others can splendor themselves in linux … thats your delusion . quite frankly i think they should have never put it on . Want to act like a bunch of pretentious princesses ? GO TELL IT TO GEOHOT ! Otherwise SUCK IT UP , and deal with it

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 23rd, 2010 at 9:53 pm said:

“you just cant connect to psn”

And you can’t play some games you already bought, such as MAG. Also, you won’t be able to play future games, or watch future movies, because they will require that firmware version. Also, I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of some DLC not working anymore as well.

” sony took it . of which was a VERY wise choice .”

Not really, since all they did was lure ha ckers to their system. They have a bone to pick with Sony, and I’m sure more things will begin occurring. It seems that seemingly random people are getting their PSN accounts ha cked into via some sort of chain letter. Apparently, you don’t even have to click the link inside for it to work. The ha cking seems to have been confirmed by Sony:

ht tp://w ww.iro nstar move ment.co m/prof iles/bl ogs/pla ysta tion-net work-use rs/

#7375

+ fuzzyclutter on April 23rd, 2010 at 10:56 pm said:

@7375 . Your full of it . nice try though . links within PSN messages have never been clickable or active. and no that is not a sony link . … the things people say when they TROLL LOL jeez atleast come up with something half believable .

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 23rd, 2010 at 11:17 pm said:

I caught this while reading through the comments:

Comment by Domo6090
“……The message I recieved on my ps3 had no hyperlink so I didn’t click on any lick or go onto a site and put any of my info on it…….”

That is only a section of his full comment. Also, I don’t know how I am being a “troll.”

#7377

+ fuzzyclutter on April 23rd, 2010 at 11:42 pm said:

do you believe every comment you read . the individual obviously doesnt even know that the system doesnt even allow active links . if their is such a comment . most likely a person who

1. is trolling

2 . handed out his log in info … and as is the norm for most … has to blame for something else .

What sony did was for the greater good , any complaints … take to geohot .

+ fYteRClef on April 24th, 2010 at 12:08 am said:

@fuzzyclutter
First, SONY advertised the PS3 to do EVERYTHING, including take the place of a stand-alone computer by letting the user install Other OS.
I understand that you and many other don’t care about this feature but there are people that needed, wanted and used this feature… Some only bought a PS3 because of this feature. That is a fact that even if you or other people do not care or believe is still a FACT.
Second, anyone in security would be out of their proper minds to even mention deleting a feature that was advertised. If you have a hole or breach in security you patch it, make it better, reinforce measures so that your system is more stable and secure. I’m pretty sure the people at Sony could’ve handled this better, they just chose not to. Sony security handled this like chickens with their heads cut off.
Sony: OH NOES GEOHOT HACKZORS!!! Other OS… DELETE = Problem solved!
But in reality this does not prevent the hackers from doing what they do, they will not update and that’s that.
Who suffers is the honest consumer that takes advantage of the system to its utmost.

+ fYteRClef on April 24th, 2010 at 12:08 am said:

And if you think that they should have never put it on, well that’s your opinion. An opinion that was not shared by Sony, since they advertised the PS3 with the OtherOS feature and so it should have this as a fully-functional system.
What they are doing now is blackmailing their user-base by making them choose between one functionality (PSN) or the other (Other OS).

+ Sven_Viking on April 24th, 2010 at 12:22 am said:

@stri
You won’t need an Internet connection — it will contain the update on the disc. Games like God of War 3 already require you to update to 3.15 (it updates from the disc, not from the Internet).

+ GMFCO311 on April 24th, 2010 at 12:23 am said:

Give me a break. All you people complaining and saying you’re gonna go to XBox because of this is pretty lame and childish.

But I guess if you guys are that dumb to do so, go ahead and see how many RROD you can get from Microsoft and we’ll see if you come back!

Suck it up and grow a pair! Geez!!! LOL

+ fuzzyclutter on April 24th, 2010 at 12:33 am said:

No… they didnt ADVERTISE as a feature….. ever . and no people dont want a compromised network just so some individuals could have linux . and i reiterate take the cry fest to geohot .

+ fYteRClef on April 24th, 2010 at 12:38 am said:

+ fYteRClef on April 24th, 2010 at 12:42 am said:

Try searching google for open platform playstation, compromised network? where did you pick that up? Linux had nothing to do with PSN

+ hosea8 on April 24th, 2010 at 1:10 am said:

Be Very Careful! This update kill your console. It certainly make my console worthless. It freezes the console. Totally bad. SONY cannot help as well. How can SONY release something that cause more problem? Now I cannot use my console whatsoever, it freezes at a warning screen that the system updates display. SONY cannot help as well, they got no idea how to fix this problem. They want me to send the console to them, but it’s out of warranty already! MAD!

+ Vash525 on April 24th, 2010 at 1:22 am said:

i find it funny there are still trolls on here over 7000 posts in saying the same comebacks. We have a reason to be here and complain, yet your supposedly updated and ‘having fun’ yet your still here trying to cause ruckus. That’s what I call lifeless.

Look at everything rationally. Sony’s ‘security issue’ is hurting legit customers more then it would ever hurt the hackers (which now many of us are becoming so we can use our systems not to play burned games, but so we can play our systems as we payed for it).

+ Vash525 on April 24th, 2010 at 1:23 am said:

Numbers speak loud; Out of 1 MILLION owners of phat ps3′s, lets say a handful… 100 people own a phat ps3 and can afford a Blu-Ray burner (reasonably number considering how expensive those are) and the almost $20 BD-R discs…

Of those 100 people how many would be ready to do something unlawful as burning blu-ray discs (yes, trolls, some people have legit reasons to own a BD burner.. get your minds out of the gutter for once). Those numbers drop…

+ Vash525 on April 24th, 2010 at 1:23 am said:

How many of those people have any clue how to hardmod a ps3 chip?? In that, also how many would be willing to take the chance of destroying the system??? Those numbers drop even more dramatically…

Ever considered that if they have enough money and CPU savvy to pull this off, that they wouldn’t just rather BUY the games and have the added bonuses and such?? How about just wanting to support a game system/company that DOESN’T screw their customers instead of working out a solution?? Oh wait, too late for that one.

+ Vash525 on April 24th, 2010 at 1:23 am said:

Seriously, as I’ve said before (I’m sure the post has been deleted by now tho) both Wii and the 360 have been pirated long ago… does it look like either one of those systems are failing?? Didn’t think so. Guess whose will though??

I have since bought a Nintendo Wii a couple weeks back. I will no longer be buying anything Sony makes (Sorry Trico). I will continue to downtalk Sony and spread the word. Sony has acted like children about this (as have the trolls, coincidence?). As the providers of their income, much like a parent provides for a child… We need to say “NO!! BAD SONY!!!” and put them into time out until they learn their lesson.

#7389

+ stri on April 24th, 2010 at 3:07 am said:

@ 7381 Sven_Viking:

You can just cancel out of that you know…

+ Vash525 on April 24th, 2010 at 4:06 am said:

oh im awaiting moderation.. go figure… there goes some posts… dont worry, ill repost them :P

+ Sven_Viking on April 24th, 2010 at 4:20 am said:

You will be able to do that, but if so, you won’t be able to play the game, as explained in the blog post itself.

“Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later”

+ Sven_Viking on April 24th, 2010 at 4:21 am said:

@stri
Yes, but if so, you won’t be able to play the game, as explained in the original blog post. The game will refuse to run without the newer firmware, like on the PSP.

+ Sven_Viking on April 24th, 2010 at 4:24 am said:

(“Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version…” in the list of things you won’t be able to do without updating). Sony will begin to make games require the new firmware as soon as possible, to try to force people into updating.

+ UnholyxDarkxStar on April 24th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Wow Is it me or have we picked up several so ny cor por ate lac kies in here the last page or two

+ rogeriototh on April 24th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Because of the bad ones, the good ones loose things they love. Bad move Sony. #SonyNeverAgain

+ UnholyxDarkxStar on April 24th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

i dont know why SLIM owners are here bitc hing anyways they were the cheap Basta rds who didnt want to shell out the bucks for the real Ps3 i think the ones here Bitc hing about our complaints need to just leave because they truly have no clue as to what was lost and the futil ity of re moving the feature “Oh to make system more secure” that is such bullsh it anyone with any saavy at all knows linux was no real threat to the net work and i agree with vash with the exorbinate expense of cop ying games it is actually cheaper in the long run just to buy le git games but people just dont understand the simple fact that NOT everyone or even a reasonable percentage of linux users would have ever considered using it for illegal purposes

+ rogeriototh on April 24th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

@UnholyxDarkxStar I think there should be another reasons behind their decision (like maintenance costs they want to drop from their responsibilities), and of course saying it turns the system more secure is just the perfect excuse that hit the head of the non-savvy people.

Slim users will never know what we will miss (I haven’t updated yet), and therefore it is hard for them to realize it.

What I really feel sad is not about us who are loosing the feature, but the people who expent their time making PS3 oriented distros (like our fellows from PSUbuntu).

+ Arckonlcon on April 24th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

I am one of those people who bought the ps3 as both. and now I have to go to the library to even use the internet I did not update but I wont turn on the ps3 until this whole thing is done. Because I cant loose that function to an “optional” update. I go to school for engineering I bought the ps3 becaus i can run cad programs very fast. and I get a game console out of the deal. however i do not own another computer (that’s right I only bought the ps3 because it WAS advertised ans being able to do everything) now to do the CAD work I have to request time in the Engineering lab just to do my work. so for some of us this is a huge issue. I personally don’t care about the people who don’t undersatand. but for me this is a huge issue.

+ ccfman2004 on April 24th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

@7401: I agree.

+ fuzzyclutter on April 24th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

@ 7385 fYteRClef , The link you provided is not an ad , its an online guide one that has been amended btw . secondly , Apparently SCEA , which is familiar with its own system , does think that the recent success of an individual to use the openplatform feature to gain access and control the hardware is a security breach to the network . Somebody mentioned patch . WHY ? They guy had already worked his way through layers of software to gain access , whats another layer ? So I guess folks could go to the xbox … oh well . perhaps stay there for as long as it takes them to pee in ya’ll s cheerios , just ping pong back and forth because you all cant deal with the uncertainty of everything . The unfairness of life itself is the only certainty . Do what you will … you will still be guaranteed nothing .

+ KSPRAYDAD on April 24th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

@7401…

Um…you don’t have to update…you can keep running your CAD on linux and playing single player games that you already have…you don’t HAVE to request time in the lab.

+ MirthlessSmile on April 24th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

I bought the PS3 because I knew I could legally install Linux on it. Now they took the feature away in order to enjoy the full gaming part of the PS3. Long-term bait & switch. I won’t buy from them any more, and neither will my friends.

+ lil_c_sr on April 24th, 2010 at 7:14 pm said:

i know there is moderators in here, i will continue to play your games no matter what firmware you trow at me, i have many acounts i made from diferent ip adress so good luck sony

+ lil_c_sr on April 24th, 2010 at 7:15 pm said:

but it wont be the way SONY wants me to play them is gona be the way i chose to play them, patch firmware baby

+ lil_c_sr on April 24th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

people just be patient, update 3-2 1 is being worked on and soon update 3-3 0, all you have to do is be patient, SONY feels treaten by this and they know it, a money gobling company will soon lose alot of it on the ps3

+ KSPRAYDAD on April 24th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

@7407

Um…all corporations exist to make money…are you a bit dense? You threaten them (developers) by pirating games…great, developers abandon the system and because of your selfishness 34 million people are screwed over. Awesome goals you set for yourself.

+ lil_c_sr on April 24th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

thats the reason why they say the update 3-3 0 is mandatory, wtf is sony thinking of by mandatory, so sony releases games that you can play online and sells the ps3 to costomers and then the costomers realises that all of this that is bought is not completely theirs, because you cant play if you dont do the mandatory update, what a bunch of b u l l s h i t

+ lil_c_sr on April 24th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

@7407
this reason why all this is happening is because of the wrong move your company made, the move is what has cause thousands of legit users to become piraters, if you search around the net you will see what i mean, let SONY keep that up and see what piraters around the world will do

+ Sven_Viking on April 24th, 2010 at 9:44 pm said:

@fuzzyclutter
Removing OtherOS hasn’t stopped the hackers from hacking. They don’t need to update, so they don’t lose OtherOS. All it did was give them more incentive.

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 25th, 2010 at 12:24 am said:

Exactly. Oh, and while I’m thinking about it, fuzzyclutter, I’m pretty sure that OtherOS was in fact an advertised feature. I seem to remember seeing someone a couple pages back referring to a time when some Sony executive advertised it on live TV a long time ago.

But enough arguing over the facts. If you don’t care about the fact that Sony is stealing capabilities from legitimate users who PAID for those capabilities, that’s fine. That’s your loss. Even if we lose, we’ll sleep better at night knowing that we stood up for what is right. To quote Independence Day:

“We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!”

Lol, sorry everyone, that just randomly popped into my head.

+ uwibern on April 25th, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

this is a big big let down for SONY!!!! I bought this console for that and the features including the ps2 compatibility…..but you remove it too….and the ps3 now sucks…..i dont care about the 3d features….their is no 3d games yet….

PAGE 1 146 147 148 149