PS4-The Order

PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 28, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

7,440 Comments

PAGE 1 147 148 149

+ Onna76 on April 25th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

Trying again, my former comment was too long and by pressing back on the PS3 browser my entire post was gone :(

By this I sincerly like to apologize to the entire PlayStation team for my unconvenient behavior under the update blog posts. It weren’t many posts but still enough to make myself a complete idiot. I haven’t been myself lately due to personal issues, but still that doesn’t give me the right to blow out to you guys and I bet everyone else will feel the very same way when they think through about what they’ve posted on the blog.

I’m still not happy about updates, dlc’s, patches and most likely never will, but pointing that aside I realized how much fun PlayStation has given me for over the past 12-13 years and also on the PS3 that I would miss it too much. So to say I’m back support PlayStation and… Nintendo. Microsoft? They’ll always be dust to me as they always have. The 360 has NO blu ray, NO WiFi, NO free online gaming, unstable hardware, so those who’re now stepping to the 360… good luck but you’ll be back.

I hope you except my apoligies and to make it even more up to you… I’ve just ordered a slim PS3 ^v^.

+ Skoniee_Skon on April 25th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

Mannn, all I know is Sony removed a feature I was very pleased with. I got a fat 80g ps3 for backward compatability and the other os on top of the fact that it plays blue-ray and ps3 games. Idk if I still trust’em. I really liked the surfing the web on Linux better than the PS web. The PS web always takes me to mobile sites asif I’m accessing the web from a phone. BOOOO to Sony. Bring back my Other OS.

+ Skoniee_Skon on April 25th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

Btw Sony I filed a complaint with the BBB and the FTC. You stole from me or better yet you did the long-term bait and switch.

+ irtz09 on April 25th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

now ps3 isame as xbox is

+ irtz09 on April 25th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

sony bring back the other os y dont u get it

+ Onna76 on April 25th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

7417, no its not

PS3 has blu ray – 360…not
PS3 has free online gaming – 360…not
PS3 has webbrowser (not the best, but still) – 360… not
PS3 has better liable hardware – 360… absolutely… not

+ p4p1rr1n on April 25th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

W/E hackers will find a way and sony just started it, for me now i will buy a used non updated ps3 and hold it till hacks come out, and wil keep my ps3 updated for online gaming.
Still, Sony has always done this, not caring about consmers, so why will i care about em, go hackers

+ maninashed on April 25th, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

PS3 has blu ray – At the moment
PS3 has free online gaming – At the moment
PS3 has webbrowser (not the best, but still) – At the moment

Let’s not forget Sony takes away whatever they see fit.

+ FT-FoxHounD on April 25th, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

well guys i can’t believe it… my little brother updated my system while i was at work…. im speechless right now… mega facepalm

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 25th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

OMG…….Dude, that really sucks. I’m sorry for your loss. I hope you didn’t have anything super important on your Other OS.

#7423

+ E1337DRAG0N on April 25th, 2010 at 5:50 pm said:

I swear to God I’m getting sooooo tired of Sony. Thank you SO EFFING much for screwing with MY system. Awesome. Thanks.

Security issues made you screw with my system. Hmm… ok. Let’s see if this solves your “Security” issues. Yeah. Right. Do you honestly think that a hacker is not going to figure out how to access this function? C’mon. I’m been getting the feeling that you’ve been pretty stupid for a while now, but I didn’t realize you were naive as well. All this does is piss off the people who AREN’T hackers, but got a PS3 precisely FOR THIS FUNCTION!

I’ll let you guess if I’m going to looking forward to the PS4 realease! Go ahead and guess!!

IDIOTS

+ SNIPEZ101 on April 25th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

ever since I got this update I have alot of trouble signing in on PSN!! sometimes my friend list wont load up and sometimes i dont even get signed in at all!!!

+ curiousecat on April 25th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

Let it be known use google maps create a review.
If you want to hurt them where it hurts 7,426 reviews will get there attention.

I can’t place a link here it will be censored. Come on, head to google maps compose a review. 7, 426 reviews. Can NOT BE IGNORD . I am only one voice.

Post not your anger here where it is censored, post it where people can see it.

+ lil_c_sr on April 25th, 2010 at 9:28 pm said:

curiousecat

people around the net know what sgoing on, i been to many site, for now SONY looks like they have things under control but their so wrong, when the day comes for the big news that is almost here i bet yall that they wont know how to stop it, everyone here know what happen to the psp, well ill let yall think about this, moderate me i dont give a F””

+ lil_c_sr on April 25th, 2010 at 9:35 pm said:

i will so much enjoy the day SONY cant stop things just like they couldnt with the psp, i aint updating, not untill i have it they way i want it and so is thousands of users across the world

+ eddieMX07 on April 25th, 2010 at 10:11 pm said:

does any one know that this website is all about
http:// playstationnetwork.com / codegenerator

One of my PSN friends told me about that but have no idea what it’s about… scratching my head wondering…

+ flavyphil on April 25th, 2010 at 10:27 pm said:

I have been a fan of the playstation since the 1st one. Got the second one and it was still fun but mostly hype. I now own xbox 360 and PS3. The PS3 sucks im sorry its only worth the blueray player! I only play it when my 2 friends that own it also are on.
360 is polished online expeirience is WAY better! and sony just doesnt get it. they ruin everything good about the ps3 and the psp! this is one guy that will not be waisting anymore money on futer soney crap!!! GET A CLUE!

+ Sven_Viking on April 26th, 2010 at 12:35 am said:

eddieMX07: That was probably a phishing website (seems to be down now). They trick people into entering their login and password so as to steal their account.

+ f3rd_GREATEST on April 26th, 2010 at 1:11 am said:

Sony please fix at least the ability to play games online:)

+ lil_c_sr on April 26th, 2010 at 2:31 am said:

Sony is not going to listen to any of the coments that people post here asking them to bring back other OS, they ignore everyone, thats why we gona get it our way not the way they want to have us, we will use all their online features and play the games that require 3-2-1 and 3-3-0 and still be using other OS option, we just waiting, thats all, once its out the sony bring any update that you wat to trow at us, is as good as H-A-C-K-E-D

+ lil_c_sr on April 26th, 2010 at 2:40 am said:

for your info SONY, i work on ps3′s i have quite a few of them i will donate 8 to the H-A-C-K-E-R-S that are curently working on them so they can continue their good work to screw SONY up, for all that are still waiting i say just be patient, it will come, this is my last mesage here, im tired of this B-U-L-L S-H-I-T company

+ RobertC1985 on April 26th, 2010 at 3:38 am said:

reply @ 7270

youcantblockme | April 18th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Has anyone started a database of games that require this update? This should be done so we don’t get ripped off anymore than we have already…

i am going to play it safe and not purchase any games released after 2009

sony, as angry as i am over this decision, (i know i am not alone) i think you would be able to redeem yourself if you would re-enable the other OS feature on your own. instead of making us wait for geohot’s cfw. instead of retaliating with negative actions to our circumventions (blocking the DNS for example) you could easily save yourselves by just giving us what we asked for. i’m sure fighting with us is both more stressful and expensive then simply giving us back what made your system so great in the first place.
this is not the first mistake you’ve made. i’m hoping the thought of the failure of betamax videotapes would convince you to change your minds

+ GreatOldCthulhu on April 26th, 2010 at 5:05 am said:

Removing an advertised feature… That’s a no-go!

Give me back “Other OS” or give me back my money!

+ f3rd_GREATEST on April 26th, 2010 at 5:32 am said:

I guess imma have to use the “FAT PLAYSTATION 3″ as a heater cause it aint got no more purpose F u SONY!!!

+ Kageho on April 26th, 2010 at 7:50 am said:

I’m please to see that even after a month people are still pissed at Sony’s stupid move…
All they’ll from this is that not only pirates, but also regular users will jump on custom firmware when they’ll be out. And the craziest of all is that it will mainly be to get back what they originally paid for.
Some company I know should definitely be firing someone…

+ Kageho on April 26th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

so many typos, sorry about that…
s/please/pleased/
s/they’ll from/they’ll get from/

+ UnholyxDarkxStar on April 26th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

Seppuku is a reasonable request for otheros users to request of the corporate idiots who approved this very dishonorable action to be forced upon its once loyal customers

+ UnholyxDarkxStar on April 26th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

Oh Wait Its SONY the have no honor or respect for their customers

+ bubbles46 on April 26th, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

thats funny i do the same [DELETED] and my old skool 5 fan intercooler in over time fringin loud bastard, but exactly how many of u actually use ubuntu, or yellowdog, for thos of u that dont its really not a big deal, but for users like me it is a big deal, i paid 499.00 for mine and a 199.00 exented warranty and bought 18 games on its intial release bought all the accessories as well and im telling i like flipping it into a supercomputer and reverting backing to play my games, yeah linux is slow as hell but it is an option i paid for as for backwards compatibility 4 usbs etc…. i could of went with a 40 gb or maybe a 60 gb for 399.00 but i didnt i did my research and bought the ultimate 80 gb that supports other os and i will not make that update to 3.21 i will stay 3.15 till its fixed

+ bubbles46 on April 26th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

its alright anyway till a fix is released any of u that played any other platform didnt have access to the internet so screw it play the game and soon something will come out

+ mattblack04 on April 26th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Thank you, geohot. You woke up a sleeping giant and now are trying to blame them for doing something about it. I blame you, you idiot. If you didn’t do anything at all, OtherOS would still be there and functioning as normal. If you didn’t publicly go “LOL I HACK IT” the company wouldn’t feel threatened.

It’s like a house. If a thief (you) breaks through one of the doors, they lock it up. If you did nothing, there would be no reason to lock the door. You people need to stop blaming the company for protecting its miltimillion dollar software and instead blame the whole reason they felt the need to do it.

+ maninashed on April 26th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

@mattblack04

You’re wrong, anyone who buys a PS3 is quite within their rights to do what ever they want with it.

If you buy a car and decide to install a new stereo, alloy wheels, go faster stripes, change the engine, etc, etc, nobody would consider that illegal why because YOU OWN THE CAR IT’S YOUR PROPERTY.

You buy a PS3, yet if you change anything you’re doing something wrong!

HACKING IS NOT THE SAME AS PIRATING but becuase it usually leads to pirating that’s why the companies WANT you to think it’s illegal.

And let’s be honest if all the Sony devs can come up with for new firmware is sorting trophies then perhaps hacking it will give us firmware that’s useful.

+ Nittany_Tiger on April 26th, 2010 at 8:40 pm said:

@mattblack04

They didn’t have to punish everyone for one person’s illegal actions. They could have easily banned Geohot or even arrested him if possible instead of pulling this move off.

Yes, Geohot started the ball rolling, but Sony re-routed the ball on the wrong course and now it’s causing a ton of collateral damage.

+ Sven_Viking on April 26th, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

By the way, be warned that comments to this article will probably close soon (usually comments are closed after 30 days). So somewhere else will need to be found for complaints and discussion.

Newer firmware update posts are one possibility. Assuming they still remove OtherOS, it’s relevant especially to those of us who haven’t updated.

+ DEADMANWALKING01 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:29 pm said:

Plug! :D

s14. zeta boards. com/ VG_Chronicles

Lol, I’m sorry, I just had to do it. The place may not be super active, but it’s only because all active members are in school or college right now and are busy. However, that’ll change in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, time to get back on topic.
@mattblack04

“It’s like a house. If a thief (you) breaks through one of the doors, they lock it up. If you did nothing, there would be no reason to lock the door.”

By locking those doors, you’re tempting those same thieves to find their way back into the house without setting off any alarms or otherwise alerting anyone.

#7449

+ Sven_Viking on April 26th, 2010 at 11:00 pm said:

It’s more like locking the door of your theatre so thieves (people sneaking in without paying), and also the people who booked and paid for tickets, can’t get in. If you refuse to give refunds, it’s just going to give a lot more people new incentive to find some alternate way in.

+ f3rd_GREATEST on April 27th, 2010 at 4:49 am said:

I miss being able to play online…I wanna know if something is being done to fix the problem?

+ maninashed on April 27th, 2010 at 5:33 am said:

———————————————————————————————————-

He’s done nothing illegal, in any country, so how could he be arrested!!!

People you must get your heads around the fact:-

HACKING IS NOT ILLEGAL

+ preludelinux on April 27th, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

well i think im gona cancel my psn netwrok account. this is garbage if the ps2 had firmware updates sony would never sold a ps3 i only want my system for offline game use and to install linux because thats a feature that sold me the system to begin with. i really think its this always online and need update BS thats the problem. its seems the ps3 is just an advertisement to buy buy buy off psn … please bring back game systems that dont need updateing and online to function.. the problem i see is all this content distribution needs to be protected. more protection less freedom for us customers. thanks sony you have done what Microsoft always wanted to have a fully controlled system locked down system.

+ preludelinux on April 27th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

It would be useful to start a new forum discusion off sonys controlled web. and lets all go there start collecting as much information about this topic as possible.

PAGE 1 147 148 149