PS4 - Destiny

PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 28, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

7,440 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 149

+ KingBroly on March 28th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

JST

Love it.

+ MAAZTER on March 28th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

this better be an april fool’s joke…

start\ but if it’s real then it’s really stupid because if sony are serious about their claim that the PS3 does everything and now they try and remove features that were promised to us is pretty lame, don’t they have better things to work on such as fixing the web browser, in-game voice chat that everyone is crying about than work on REMOVING content that isn’t harming the PS3 at all… if people hack the old fat ps3′s then soo what they are becoming obsolete anyways you guys aren’t making them and when they break you don’t fix them replace them with a [DELETED] model so really if someone who invested $600 on your machine you can say you got your moneys worth and let him do what he wants… sure after the fact it’s done it won’t be a big deal 3-6 months later but before that time people are gonna be pissed because it was a nice feature not useless like some of the other half assed [DELETED] you put on there… /end

+ Blazingluke on March 28th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

The people who are making positive comments don’t seem to have read the post.

Slim owners aren’t affected at all, considering the update doesn’t add anything new. The owners of previous models should either respond negatively or be neutral…

If this is an April Fool’s joke, it’s in poor taste.

+ Miles514 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Im a little confused. I got my ps3 2008. Does this effect me? lost.

+ sharpshoot on March 28th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Websites like bloomberg are reporting this april fools joke hahhah

+ AutomaticOcelot on March 28th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

#161 Such as? I see absolutely no indication that this is a joke. Joke releases normally:
1. Are posted on April 1, not before.
2. Don’t try to tick people off.
3. Don’t make a lot of sense from a business perspective.

This meets none of those criteria. It is neither surprising nor offbeat. April 1 just happens to be the end of this work week.

+ Hunter_xx_ on March 28th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

I can’t believe how people complain for something they never use, bad for you, as long this cut piracy I’m fine, I don’t linux on PS3, that’s why I own a computer

+ aXe_MuRDeR_BoY on March 28th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

OMG! You suck at making April Fools jokes. At least the guy that makes firmware announcements (Eris Lempel) make the post. Failure!

+ WillyMGS on March 28th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

Can someone tell me when the 3.20 came out?
No really…

+ aXe_MuRDeR_BoY on March 28th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

At least have*

+ AutomaticOcelot on March 28th, 2010 at 7:26 pm said:

#185. JST stands for Japan Standard Time. What do you love about it? :-)

Anyway, this doesn’t impact me but I’ll wait to hear more about it before I assume either way.

+ BlooodyCow on March 28th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

Is this a Aprils fools joke?

+ ROBster9004 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

Ive never used another OS, but i laughed at the features that wouldnt be accesible if the update wasnt downloaded. You can choose to have a different OS, but you wont be able sign into PSN, and you wont be able to play any new games. So basically its a required update. Wow. This doesnt affect me, but some people are gonna be real angry.

+ DarkAkatosh on March 28th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

I’m amazed at how easy it is to troll people on this blog. You have to be COMPLETELY dense to not know this is an April Fool’s joke.

+ kdiep on March 28th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

lmao a firmware just to remove a feature. nice one Sony, nice! Being an extremely loyal customer I have to say this has been like a stab in the back.

+ SprSynJn on March 28th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Blame the hackers guys, and yourselves for most likely hacking games at some point as well. Then go ahead and blame yourselves and the hackers for the extremely high movie ticket prices and copy protection on DVD’s due to the current infatuation with torrents. While you’re at it, blame those same people for the DRM movement with PC games and music off iTunes. Did you get all that kids? You are to blame for this just as much as the guy who hacked the PS3. So don’t go preaching about your “customer rights”, just take a good look at what you do instead.

+ robertmc8 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Clam down people relax lol

+ StopPanda on March 28th, 2010 at 7:33 pm said:

Like I was saying …go to the Sony site …there are no press releases..Right now it is 11:32am in Japan on a Mnday …so something would have been out.

+ K-Star-K on March 28th, 2010 at 7:33 pm said:

wtf…first remove the spider font,then the logo before starting a game,and now the Install Other OS?

what are you think about?all you need to do is listening to your consumers what they want.oh yeah i know.you never listen to you consumers any way.

+ RGS-14 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:34 pm said:

Most people don’t use this feature. I’m sad to say it but I’m ashamed to be a PS3 Fanboy today. This is a reason people hate fanboys. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT A FEATURE YOU DONT USE OR EVEN CARE ABOUT! This is a the right move by Sony, don’t want the PS3 to end up like the PSP one day.

+ vanlandw on March 28th, 2010 at 7:34 pm said:

Another disappointing move by Sony. After the hugely disappointing 3.0 update cluttering up the XBM with spam advertisements worse the the 360 Sony has done nothing positive with firmware updates f/ the PS3. Me personally being a MGS4 PS3 owner it’s just been a downhill user experience. Almost embarrassing. After Sony telling me to pretty much not use my $500 console after the time issue debacle with nothing provided in return ugh I didn’t think it could get worse.

The main reason this change bothers me is the “Other OS” feature I’m sure was a selling point for users. Maybe a small set of people but still this was a feature that was sold and now it’s being removed. We are also getting nothing in return. According to the post we have a “safer” way to spend more money with Sony. Thanks a lot….

+ Dramscus on March 28th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

best thing is that some unknown amount of peoples ps3′s will also fail after this, like every other update. HA

+ Brapp347 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

If only there was a way to stop those psp hackers.

+ wamerocity on March 28th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

What the hell Sony? You seriously can’t figure out how to patch Geohot’s exploit without COMPLETELY removing the feature? WTF? You guys have some amazing programmers, may you should try fixing the problem instead of removing the feature.

+ drivatar on March 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

I don’t know what to say. This is just unacceptable!

OtherOS was one of my reasons to buy a PS3. You basically disable my system for playing future games.

I can’t express how disappointed I am without violating Terms of Use.

+ Destiny89 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

Its a good move but arent you guys adding anything? at all?

+ MS_XNA on March 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

How about you guys FIRST make a decent backup tool that ACTUALLY WORKS and then you remove whatever you want from the system? Last time I did a backup to remove the “Other OS” partition your lame backup utility failed miserably to restore my backup and I LOST EVERYTHING!!! Stop fooling around with the system and give us something we can actually benefit from, the actual PS3 is not even 30% of what the original PS3 was supposed to be and now because you can’t patch the hole found by GeoHot we have to pay the consequences for your ineptitude to properly secure the system. Shame on you Sony, we’re loyal to the company and we support you buying games and accessories and what do we get from you? NOTHING! I will not tolerate all this crap and I DON’T WANT TO LOSE MY FINAL FANTASY XIII SAVES because your backup tool is just a big pile of Bantha Poodoo. Enough! Geeeeezzzzzzz! >_<

+ coyote4 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

I honestly have to say that waiting for an update just to remove a feature on the system is pretty stupid assuming sony wants to take the next step on the console. Whatever happened to the supposed online chat during different games feature rumor. why don’t they work on something that will enhance the system more, instead of wasting time for months on an update just to disable a feature.

+ Brapp347 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

someone hacked the psp go with the text “nice try sony” like wtf!? They bought your system and now they’re being a-holes. it doesnt make sense

+ Zezzler on March 28th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

WTF? why would sony bother to GET RID OF A FEATURE?
I mean i don’t use it, but i know people who do.
The people who use the feature have to chose if they wanna keep an awesome feature, or play new releases? Bad move.
We should have some kind of compensation (us with older consoles).

I AM DISAPPOINT!

+ Atari4Ever on March 28th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

I smell lawsuit! You can’t sell someone a product based on a certain feature set, then at a later date take some of those features away.

Do I get money back for having a system which is now less capable? I don’t think I will.

This is purely to try and stop people from hacking the PS3…Sony should just ignore this small group of people, they’re a drop in the ocean of profits.

+ aliendude5300 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

This is totally lame… I actually USE this feature. :(

+ X_Reaper on March 28th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

So, you’re going to give us something cool in return, right? RIghhhttt?????? :/

+ Seshat on March 28th, 2010 at 7:38 pm said:

Would we be able to regain the hard drive space where we installed the other OS with this update?

+ coyote4 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:38 pm said:

MS_XNA, that’s exactly what I mean!!!

+ Solid_Ian on March 28th, 2010 at 7:39 pm said:

When’s Sony gonna get their heads out of their asses?

+ MarManHollow on March 28th, 2010 at 7:40 pm said:

I really hope that this is an aprils day joke, cus I can’t, in good conscience, continue purchasing Sony products if you follow through with this.
And are you that frakking lazy, that you can’t fix the hole? Where is our money going to???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

+ Haseo_Uchiha on March 28th, 2010 at 7:40 pm said:

Wow, I’m suprised no one caught this one as proof of an April Fools joke.

one of the features being removed;

- Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later

Now read that carefully. “Removing Playback of software titles or Blu-ray disc movies that require 3.21 or later” hmmm… removing the ability to play PS3 games and Blu-ray movies on your PS3 after 3.21? Now doesn’t that sound strange to you? No? Well I’ll lay it out for you. Once you update to firmware 3.21, you can NO LONGER play PS3 games and can NO LONGER watch Blu-ray movies that require 3.21 on your PS3.

+ SirTrigalot on March 28th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

I love it how so many people are saying this is a fail on Sony’s part. Have any of you even used the Linux on PS3? It is horrible. It won’t be missed

+ plaztiksyke on March 28th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

I can’t believe this and really don’t know what to say.

When an exploit for the DTCP player is discovered, will you disable all streaming media?

When the crypto keys are leaked from the SPU, will you disable the whole system?

You just bricked tens of thousands of PS3s for people around the world who use this feature on a regular basis. This makes you no better than Microsoft or Apple. All that good will you built up by having this feature is now out the window, for good.

At least Sony is now on equally slimy footing with their competitors. Way to go.

A very, very sad day. I sincerely hope this bites you in the end.

+ X_Reaper on March 28th, 2010 at 7:42 pm said:

Also, why am I reading this on other sites then?
“Following up on this post where it was rumoured OtherOS may possibly be removed in a later firmware update has been debunked by SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment). In a mailing list post from Geoff Levand, PS3-Linux maintainer, he says SCE management has provided this tidbit:

Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.”

+ ThE-AnNiHaL8R on March 28th, 2010 at 7:43 pm said:

LOL. Nice April Fool’s joke. Check out the JST Time. Midnight JST? Since when did Japan become the center of focus on a North American Playstation Blog?????

+ poisonedsodapop on March 28th, 2010 at 7:43 pm said:

Lol released on April 1st… I love how many of you fell for this. PS Blog be trollin’. XD

+ aliendude5300 on March 28th, 2010 at 7:45 pm said:

@228 Since Sony was started in Japan?

+ MikoNeko on March 28th, 2010 at 7:46 pm said:

This better be an April Fool’s joke.

I’ve been using Linux on my fat PS3, configured as a nice networked Media Center (mplayer), I do a bit of Cell programming on it and web browsing (Firefox).

Now you’re telling me I won’t be able to use it anymore?

Wow, what a let down.

Mark my words: This will only increase the amount of effort of the hacking community. Before long, they’ll have cracks so they can run un-signed executables on the newer models and pirating will follow soon after.

Big mistake, Sony.

+ Maguss on March 28th, 2010 at 7:46 pm said:

You guys should blame that idiot hacker for this. And you know what I prefer this then a hacked PS3 that starts rampant piracy on the PS3, look how the PSP is doing we don’t need that on the PS3.

+ dotCody on March 28th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

So, this Firmware adds nothing? Not even better music playback or some other BS? Sounds like April’s Fools to me…

+ X_Reaper on March 28th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

@Haseo_Uchiha:
I believe you misread the post. It says:

“Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available:
-Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later”

It’s saying that if you choose not to update, then you cant sign in, and ultimately cant do things (like play games, etc.) that require firmware 3.21 or later.

+ x187um on March 28th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

Fail

+ StopPanda on March 28th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

I originally believed this Blog post …but like I said..Japan is well into their Monday Business day and there is no offical message from them…I think this one pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 149