Horizon Zero Dawn

Apr 02

Apr 02

ModNation Racers PSP: Track Studio Walkthrough

Vernon Mollette's Avatar Posted by Producer, SCEA San Diego Studio

I’m here to give you a quick walkthrough of one of the themes available in ModNation Racers PSP Track Studio. Our goal for Track Studio was to give you the fun and freedom of the PS3 version and wrap all of it up into a version that fits in your pocket. I like to think that we have done just that. Check it out.

We start off by selecting one of the four available ModNation Racers PSP themes; I am going with the Seaside Theme. In this post I’ll explore the ability to drive the “spline” for the first time (to create the foundation of the track) and also shape, sculpt and paint the terrain to give the track some personality.

So, first we start off by deciding where we want to plop the Start Gate down by pressing the L button… and then we’re off! You’ll notice a couple of things on the “First Drive” screen.

ModNation Racers PSP 1b

The first thing of note is the mini-map in the lower right corner of the screen that gives you a birds-eye view of what shape your track will be. Another thing that you’ll notice is the leader lines ahead of you. These are the “Auto-Complete” lines that, if you hold down the Triangle button, will auto-drive the rest of the track for you. For this particular track though, I want to get a little more creative. You’ll also notice the “Track Remaining” meter, but we’ll get to that in a minute…

Okay, so I am going to go ahead and start driving my track using the same controls as in the game (accelerate and steer). If you want to get even more variety out of the First Drive, pressing the X button raises the track and the Square button lowers it (changing elevation gives you a lot of unique situations to set up when we get to preparing the race).

ModNation Racers PSP 2b ModNation Racers PSP 3b

All right, we have a pretty good track spline going right now and you’ll see that the Track Meter at the bottom is nearing full. At this point I can just hold the Triangle button to complete the track. Easy, huh?

That brings us to one of my favorite parts of track creation, Deform Terrain. So here we have the green selection cursor (which is one of the main tools used throughout Track Studio) and on the right side of the screen we have the Terrain Brushes. Now the first thing I like to do is press the L button to Zoom all the way out and check out my track and how it fits into the rest of the environment.

From this starting view I can visualize where I want a… seaside community. So I choose the Terrain Brush at the top of the list and hold the Square button to sink the terrain, creating some water. By pressing the Circle button I can control the size of the brush to something that’s more to my liking! Now let’s bring in a little water from that Ocean out there…

ModNation Racers PSP 4b ModNation Racers PSP 5b

The Deform Terrain tool is quick and intuitive to use, allowing you to create some great cliffs, hillsides, lakes and mountains in just minutes! Here, I’ve decided to make the raised portion of the track my mountainous area. All said and done, I’ve spent about three minutes in Track Studio so far.

I’ve got some hills set up, a nice beach near the water and a mini-archipelago. Now I’m going to give the track a little bit of flavor by painting the terrain. With the Paint Terrain tool, you can change the terrain color in big swipes for quick changes, or you can get really detailed by breaking out the precision sized Terrain Brush and highlight changes in the terrain. I took a couple minutes to really flesh out the environment in the custom colors to add a lot of depth to the terrain. You can get as detailed as you want!

ModNation Racers PSP 6b

As you can see, you’re only really limited by your own imagination! Here are a couple more pictures of my track to give you all a good view of how quick and easy it is to set up and beautify a track in ModNation Racers PSP! And we’re just getting’ started…

ModNation Racers PSP 8b ModNation Racers PSP 9b

Be sure to check out my next post, where I’ll take this track and populate it with a wide selection of items! I’ll be throwing down buildings, interactive objects, kart launchers, trees, chairs, vending karts, restaurants, billboards, fences, spectators…well, you get the idea.

Add Your Own

KazeEternal said:

April 2nd, 11:22 am

Don’t suppose there is anyway to to transfer certain builds from the PSP version to the PS3 version so we can make tracks on the go and then use them on the big screen later.

dotCody said:

April 2nd, 11:22 am

Ergh…another PSP game that isn’t Final Fantasy…

xxPIETROxx said:

April 2nd, 11:33 am

I don’t know whether to buy this for PS3 or PSP now! Grrr , tell you what! If you make Media go available to Mac users i’ll buy both sony :)

Reinheart said:

April 2nd, 11:42 am

I want to buy this game really bad, BUT I can’t play it because I don’t want to upgrade my system to 3.21 I have to keep my Linux…

Reinheart said:

April 2nd, 11:42 am

meh this is PSP one so I guess I can buy this one lol

Sonicfan11589 said:

April 2nd, 12:10 pm

is there any chance that as DLC, there will be more themes available as well as more characters or anything related to track building and it would be great if this comes out on ps store on actual release date of retail game, but if its the following Thursday, so be it, as long as it comes out, I’m happy

Sonicfan11589 said:

April 2nd, 12:11 pm

this is one psp game i am really looking forward to aside from Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and hopefully the PSN release of Crisis Core if there’s any chance of that.

iTofuMan said:

April 2nd, 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if the psp version will have any special Pre-order bonus like the ps3(kratos, drake, someone else, but all from different store)

And if there is if we buy it from the Psn store will we have all the pre-order bonus?

mlo93 said:

April 2nd, 12:52 pm

Hey i been doing my part to promote modnation racers for both ps3 and psp systems. I convice 16 people to buy the game. But they including myself wonder if a demo for modnation racers either ps3 or psp will be release before the full game comes out. Oh another thing is that i other blogs about modnation racers i seen alot of people asking if a battle mode will be include in the game. Thank you can’t wait for modnation racers.

mlo93 said:

April 2nd, 12:59 pm

They should make commercials to promote modnation racers just like little big planet did.

WhiteF8ng said:

April 2nd, 1:19 pm

And that was only the PSP… I getting the PS3 version for sure…

punisher18 said:

April 2nd, 2:00 pm

FYI I love how easy mod racers looks like a game anyone can pick up and play.

COMBATCSOLDIER said:

April 2nd, 3:04 pm

I was a beta tester for this game on ps3. Simply incredible. I look forward to getting my hands on both the console and hand held versions.

Mynor1 said:

April 2nd, 5:53 pm

Can’t wait for this game, it’s going to be amazing. Going to buy both.

crowsticky1234 said:

April 2nd, 7:02 pm

Is this really the PSP version of Modnation Racers because it nearly look like the PS3 version of the game. If that’s the PSP version, that looks amazing.

COMBATCSOLDIER said:

April 2nd, 8:14 pm

@15

ye brother that is the psp version. Thats why im so excited. It does look great and worth while. Guess Ill be seeing you online whent the game comes out.

Zoomguy53 said:

April 2nd, 8:30 pm

Umm… the camera looks a little… wonky… and everything else too. I think I’ll stick with the PS3 version, which is gonna be AWESOME!!!

TheRealAlpha2 said:

April 2nd, 9:34 pm

How does the camera look wonky? they’re all photos. You cant tell how the camera will look without video.

Link01 said:

April 2nd, 10:17 pm

I’d personally like to see some video of the psp version

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

April 2nd, 11:17 pm

I would like to have this title on PSP2 with trophy support. Kthxbye.

TopBanana0769 said:

April 3rd, 11:54 am

You guys are going to make me buy a PSP. lol

mommymatters said:

April 4th, 12:59 pm

I already preordered this game. I lost faith in it seeing some screenshots Now this. Right now Im saying AWSOME