PS4 - Destiny

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles Exposed

Vernon Mollette's Avatar + Posted by Vernon Mollette on Apr 07, 2010 // Producer, SCEA San Diego Studio

Hi guys! If you haven’t already, be sure to check out my first post where I laid down a track for ModNation Racers PSP, created some water, brought up some hills and cliffs and painted the terrain to give it some flavor.

In today’s post, I’ll be populating that same track with a variety of the props available for use in our Track Studio – Seaside Theme. While I’ll only be showing one theme for this post, be sure to keep in mind that we will have four themes available when the game launches on May 25th!

So I’ve got the foundation of my track already in place and am now ready to throw down some props. There are some things on the HUD worth noticing. On the left side of the screen is the “Prop Thermometer.” As you start placing props, this gauge will start to fill up. It’s a quick visual representation of where you stand while you’re placing props, so you don’t get caught unaware if you’re not quite finished populating your track! The other important HUD element to note is the prop panel on the right side of the screen. This panel can be expanded by pressing the Circle button, which brings out a large, categorized prop menu, so you can browse through the props and categories with ease!

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview

After finishing up the terrain, I like to populate all the track obstacles first, so I can get a feel for how the track will race. In this part of the track, I’ve placed some interactive track obstacles for the racers to contend with. Each interactive obstacle can have their “Dynamic Options” edited. That means you can adjust the speed at which the obstacle occurs, the frequency, trajectory, the initial delay, and so forth. If you want to make the obstacles easy to navigate, crank down the values. Want to test the skills of the people playing your track? Crank those values up!

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview

Here’s a section of the track that has a tunnel built, with a kart launcher guarded by some “Wanderers.” These particular wanderers have their “Dynamic Options” set to stay in one place and jump up and down. I’ve got to get my timing just right to sneak under them to hit the kart launcher, which I have set up as a shortcut. If I mess up on my timing, those wanderers will explode my kart and I will have wasted precious time re-spawning. You can set up endless scenarios such as these, as you create a track that you can publish to the world and show everyone your track building prowess!

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview

In these pictures I’ve started to populate the beach area of my track with buildings, boats and some signs. I’ve also changed the track surface to a cobblestone pavement with red brick run-offs. You’ll also notice I changed the racing style fence to a lamppost and chain style of fence. The combinations are limitless when customizing the track to your needs! Each theme boasts their own style of pavements, run-offs, fences, buildings, trees, rocks, plants, wall rides, skies… You name it!

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview

ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview ModNation Racers PSP: Props and Obstacles preview

In these screenshots I got the buildings set up to my liking, touched up on the heights of the environment a little bit to fit the buildings, threw in some boats, some trees, a communications tower and changed up the default fences, pavement and run-offs. This track is just about ready to race! I’ve still got a lot of space left on my “Prop Thermometer,” so stay tuned for my next blog post. It’ll include the small details that make a track look pro, like checking the different skies to see which lighting and backdrop settings look best for my track or placing plants, chairs, tables, phone booths, rocks, trees, signs, chevron signs, rumble pieces… so many choices!

I’ll also showcase the whole track with all the fixings as I take it for a test drive! See you next time!

+ Jetup on April 7th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

looking good now

+ LILBUDDY2000 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

Looks great! I’m really looking forward to both the ps3 and psp version.

+ bendeboy on April 7th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

man i sure hope these games don’t disappoint.

Vernon Mollette's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 7th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Once you play it, you’ll be hooked, speaking from experience :-)

+ Link01 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

video?

+ TheGuardianFID on April 7th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

Freaking Awesome!!!8)

+ kowhoho on April 7th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

@ZerglingLove
There is now an entire web page dedicated to sharing your ideas with Sony, I suggest you use it rather than wasting our time with your complaints.

On Topic: Originally, I couldn’t bring myself to be excited enough to want to buy this game, but I made sure to keep an eye on it and the recent trailers/gameplay videos have swayed me. I will definitely be buying this game. I’ll be sure to spread the word at my lunch table too! ;) Every sale counts, right Modnation team?

Vernon Mollette's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on April 7th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

I played this sucker at GDC and was MIGHTY impressed. Tight controls, addictive drifting. I’m not a big kart-racing fanatic, but this one honestly caught my eye, and the track editor is really easy to use.

+ artform-fazeone on April 7th, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

COOL!

+ ZerglingLove on April 7th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

@Kowhoho

Don’t be an idiot and just ignore what I wrote.

+ Brapp347 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:35 pm said:

whoaa!…

+ Brapp347 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:35 pm said:

yeah to #5. Can we get some videos?

+ T3mpr1x on April 7th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

@ZerglingLove (9), don’t be a bigger idiot and just go vote on the idea that I’m sure is already there on http://share.blog.us.playstation.com – the feature is there so that the comments here are relevant to the topic the post is about.

+ T3mpr1x on April 7th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

Back on topic – I too was skeptical when I heard this game was going to launch on the PSP. But recent showings like this are getting more impressive! Like LBP on PSP, I’m confident it will essentially be the console game on the go! :)

+ zombie_56 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

looks good can you play custom maps while playing 4player split-screen on ps3?

+ Pirate43 on April 7th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

video action would be nice. “A pictures is worth a thousand words, and moving pictures are worth millions of words”

+ jhernandez360 on April 7th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

I would buy it if it had trophies but it dont so no money from me

+ wolfzero1 on April 7th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

so does anyone know if this is available for pre-order at Best Buy yet? I checked last weekend, & couldn’t find it in the store. I really don’t want to pre-order it from Gamestop as I really want the Nathan Drake car

+ R1LEY62 on April 7th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

Do you guys have any plans for PSP DLC yet? Or is that super top secret? ;D

+ DZORMAGEN on April 7th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Hope you can answer this Sid, or Chris. Best Buy still does not have the Mod Nation Racers Pre-Order voucher? What gives? I really want the Nathan Drake Mod!!

+ Unknown_Hero on April 7th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

@jhernandez360: How lame is that…

+ HatmanTc on April 7th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

@15 so judging by that statement that means you dont own any PSP titles then. Since no PSP on the market has trophy support. Trophies dont make a game, the actual game play is the reason to play again, not an arbitrary reward system.

is there a demo slated for this game?

+ Cstrfrk on April 7th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Sweet! Any idea when we’ll get a peek at some video? These pics look amazing and after reading a preview over at modnationracershq.com, I’m even more excited than ever for the PSP as well as the PS3.

+ PushinNshovinMe on April 7th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

vote for my “ModNation JetMoto DLC Level Pack” idea on BlogShare!

looks amazing for the PSP, almost like a more cartoony engine than PS3

+ XYZHiro06 on April 7th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

hi just wanted to know if there will be any cross-connectivity between the ps3 and psp versions?

Vernon Mollette's Avatar

+ Vernon Mollette on April 7th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

Hey, thanks for all of the killer comments! We have had a blast working on this here at San Diego Studio and can’t wait to see what you guys create with our Track Studio.

And btw Cstrfrk, Pirate43, Brapp347, and Link01 as far as video of Track Studio? Should be coming at you soon since we just wrapped it up!

Thanks again everyone…-VMo

+ HeroOfTime95 on April 7th, 2010 at 6:03 pm said:

@Sid Shuman
Holy crap! It’s Sid from Gamepro, didn’t know you joined the PS blog team!

+ HeroOfTime95 on April 7th, 2010 at 6:04 pm said:

BTW can’t wait for MNR I’ve been waiting for a kart racer for psp.

+ Hooligantuan on April 7th, 2010 at 6:18 pm said:

Will we be seeing playable demos in the PlayStation Store of the ModNation Racers titles?

+ GAMEWIZ_101 on April 7th, 2010 at 7:10 pm said:

Can we hope for a demo?

+ DamnBoxes on April 7th, 2010 at 7:50 pm said:

looking forward to this, and word on a uk/aus release date?

+ tobz1000 on April 7th, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

Man… looks like I’m gonna have to buy both versions of this.

+ Kluzot on April 8th, 2010 at 4:19 am said:

Hi !

Why when i’m looking for pre-order Modnations racers on Bestbuy.ca I can’t find the special offer with Drake ?
This offer is only available for USA ?
Have a nice day

PS : If there is a better place to post this kind of question let me know, thanks

+ BalramRules on April 8th, 2010 at 6:25 am said:

SWEET, I love these updates coming from United Front Games =)

+ Sindred on April 8th, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

Definitely getting both versions. May is going to be a tough month with this and 3D Dot game, but this needs to be on my PSP, if the PS3 beta was anything to go by.

I’d still like to suggest a boost element when coming out of a successful skid, but the game mechanics are tops anyway.

+ laZardo on April 8th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

What’s the RNN stand for on that race tower? Wasn’t it supposed to be the MRC in the PS3 version?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 8th, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

Will tracks created in this version be played on the PS3 version and vice versa?

+ Nick_392 on April 8th, 2010 at 9:54 pm said:

Preordered this game for ps3. looks awesome, can’t wait.

+ mommymatters on April 9th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said: