PS4 - Transistor

Flood Warning: Heavy Rain Surpasses the Million Mark

Jefferson Dong's Avatar + Posted by Jefferson Dong on Apr 13, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Heavy Rain PS3 Packfront

Hi everyone, I’m pleased to announce that since its launch in February, Heavy Rain has hit is millionth mark in sales worldwide! Congratulations Quantic Dream!

Praised by media for its gripping storyline, thought-provoking themes, innovation and engaging example of non-linear storytelling, it’s no surprise that more than a million gamers agree.

Don’t believe us? If you haven’t played Heavy Rain yet, then take a look at the following trailer highlighting the award-winning, critically-acclaimed, and one million unit-selling Heavy Rain!

In addition, the only true way to experience what makes Heavy Rain so unique is to download and play the PSN demo for Heavy Rain straight from the PlayStation Store.

We hope you’re enjoying Heavy Rain, and the newly released Taxidermist Level (available on PSN for $4.99). But, if you’re looking for more, continue to check back here on the PlayStation.Blog for the latest updates!

84 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ FATHASUN on April 13th, 2010 at 4:16 am said:

I am 1 in a MILLION.

+ MadMeat001 on April 13th, 2010 at 4:18 am said:

God of War III did the same right?
yay!

+ kowhoho on April 13th, 2010 at 4:32 am said:

Weeeee!

+ Jackal888 on April 13th, 2010 at 4:38 am said:

Good job Sony advertising such a different title to gamers.

+ BalramRules on April 13th, 2010 at 4:49 am said:

next up, 2MILLION! XD

+ bigrob8706 on April 13th, 2010 at 5:05 am said:

game was great and am i the only one to notice ps3 just keeps making game of the year quality games while 360′s best games are from 3rd party developers…..ps3 4 life

+ Callahan09 on April 13th, 2010 at 5:10 am said:

Congratulations, Quantic Dream and Sony! I loved this experience. Please, make more Heavy Rain Chronicles downloadable chapters, and consign Quantic Dream to make another PS3 exclusive that’ll blow my mind again.

+ Hobartbob on April 13th, 2010 at 5:12 am said:

This is amazing, considering i never saw a commercial for this game. This game is truly a classic!!

+ Berae on April 13th, 2010 at 5:23 am said:

Congratulations! It was an awesome experience so it deserves it. I hope we will see more original titles like this one, i have no doubt tho. Thats what i like about Sony, they take risks and they try different things to give gamers a unique experience.

+ Mattchewie on April 13th, 2010 at 5:44 am said:

This is great news! Especially in a game industry where big players take less and less risks with unproven game mechanics and the lot.

Hats off to you Sony for publishing and of course hats off to Quantic Dream for creating such a game!

+ pgsdi on April 13th, 2010 at 5:55 am said:

This game is absolutely amazing! I am proud to be part of its history. Amazing, Amazing Game!! More DLC Please!!!

+ Darkpen on April 13th, 2010 at 5:55 am said:

Ohhhhh, I get it, flood warning, ha ha, cute.

+ C-Murph666 on April 13th, 2010 at 6:01 am said:

Where the heck are the next Heavy Rain Chronicles downloadable chapters~?!

Also, Congrats~! Make more~!

+ SPARDA on April 13th, 2010 at 6:06 am said:

That is great news!!!!!
I also plan to contribute to the units sold when I pick up a copy of Heavy Rain tonight

Congrats and I can’t wait to play it

SPARDA

+ remanutd5 on April 13th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

Congrats Quantic Dream and sony , i hope we see more unique games from QD , i know i will buy anything they come up with next and God of Warrrr 3 should be at least in the 2.5 millions already and i hope to see another God of War psp game soon

+ Sub-Zero on April 13th, 2010 at 6:41 am said:

I love this game, still need to go back and finish some of the endings.

Im pleading though the Taxidermist was cool….But why no trophy support? I cant buy any more episodes without it. Its a standard now. Being a 1 party title it needs to set the mark.

+ Fallen_Guardian on April 13th, 2010 at 6:44 am said:

Can you please confirm that you are going to update Heavy Rain to use the move motion controller?

+ reson8er on April 13th, 2010 at 6:51 am said:

When I’m finally caught up with the hoard of games I have to finish, I’m going to go back to Heavy Rain and see if I can do all there is to do in the game.

I LOVE IT!

Congrats on the 1MM mark, and here’s hoping for many more.

I hope this is a LOUD AND CLEAR signal to the industry and Sony that there is a market for games made for adults, or more accurately games that don’t treat the player like they are a kid. I can’t wait to see what Mr. Cage is up to next!

+ Marauderxt on April 13th, 2010 at 7:02 am said:

So glad, there needs to be more games like this. With less plot holes of course.

+ xiked on April 13th, 2010 at 7:15 am said:

I love this game and I have tried to promote this game in my store. I recommend this game to as many as I can and I have sold allot. This game needs more DLC and make some advertisement that it is on PSN. Need more Heavy Rain!

And as I have said before, many of the sold copies I sold, beside the hardcore gamers that comes to the store, has been older people. Many of those people that have bought PS3 only to use as blu-ray has bought Heavy Rain. The PS3 attach rate has been suffering because of this big group of people but this may change if SONY continuing to make games like this. This game is something that attracts a older and more mature audience. That is a goldmine to explore because they have cash and they don´t mind paying 60buck for it.

Congratz SONY and Quantic Dream! Well done!

+ ATOMS11 on April 13th, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

Hopefully the industry takes notice!

+ dragonmagician on April 13th, 2010 at 7:33 am said:

Congrats! Hope it continues to sell.

When is the next Chronicles chapter going to be released? I’m excited for any new information.

+ UnKn0nSldr86 on April 13th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

Heavy Rain goes platiumned and i also platiumned the game myself :)

congratz Quantic Dreams!

+ BloodiedWraith on April 13th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

I actually just bought this the other day. It was in my list of games I needed to buy, but there were too many major releases in the time frame. I found it at a price that I knew I couldn’t beat, so I jumped on it to put in the backlog. I really hope it’s as good as everyone says it is!

+ NewYork214 on April 13th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

Grats, i still havent played it but thats because some jerk spoiled who the killer was for me and im waiting a year or how ever long it takes to forget about it. was really looking forward to it though

+ UNCyrus on April 13th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

Such a great game

+ mcx on April 13th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

“When it rains it pours” .. Keep pouring on the DLC.

+ SPOPS on April 13th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

I really really tried to like this game. I gave it a shot, and well it just was not the game for me. Nothing against it or anyone who enjoys it. But it was just not something that I enjoyed.

+ TheTwelve on April 13th, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

Give me more!!!

+ Kchow23 on April 13th, 2010 at 8:12 am said:

hope there is more DLC coming!

+ RedBullRacer on April 13th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

That is such good news! Hopefully more people will make games like this, I want more of Heavy Rain and story based games, brilliant news!

+ BlooodyCow on April 13th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

congrats to QD. Hope it sells another million by the end of the year

+ CRAIG19C on April 13th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

Yay! Congratulations! :)

+ marseall on April 13th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

This game deserve much more, but it’s success in these times. Wonderful game, masterpiece, which cannot be forgotten…Thanks, Quantic Dreams and Sony.

+ scorpio182 on April 13th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

I too still have to buy this. I had GOW3 to get and playing through it now. My next game will be Heavy Rain.

Congrats on the million milestone….

+ V1ctIm on April 13th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

Great news! The game was more amazing than I thought it would be (and I had grand hopes indeed).

Thank you to everyone at Sony for giving this team and game a chance in a market that is typically too scared to invest in creativity. You guys show your devotion to gamers time and time again by believing and investing in unbelievably brilliant new IP and we appreciate it.

+ i_like_toast on April 13th, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

glad to hear the game sold well, hopefully this will encourage more developers to offer story oriented games and we can work to equaling the medium between a movies ability to tell a story and a video games ability to let you live a story.

Who knows, maybe one day it can be on the same level as books.

+ nov_17th on April 13th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

Nice going French guys. Glad to see you’ve made some money.

+ ElektroDragon on April 13th, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

Why not celebrate landmark by lowering the price to $29.99 to pick up the NEXT million why the iron is hot? I am not buying it for anything more than that, sorry.

+ SLURPEE__QUEEN on April 13th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

& NOW THEY ARE MAKING A HEAVY RAIN ” THE MOVIE ” WELL DONE I LOVED PLAYING ” HEAVY RAIN ” KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK”

+ SLURPEE__QUEEN on April 13th, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

BUT ON THE DOWN SONY YOU SHOULD OF advertised MORE MAYBE WE COULD OF GOTTEN ” SPLINTER CELL ” FOR PS3 INSTEAD OF SPLINTER CELL ” JUST FOR X-BOX ” SHAME ” BUT HEY GREAT WORK” “

+ CapinChronic on April 13th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

Congratulations Quantic Dream.. Keep making great games on our console!! ^_^

+ Neil on April 13th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

Well deserved. This game was brilliant.

+ weezyf85 on April 13th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

OMG!! IVE HAD MY EYES ON HEAVY RAIN FOR QUITE SOME TIME–IT SEEMS SONY JUST KEEPS TOPING THE LIST WITH INCREDIBLE PS3 EXCLUSIVES!! THE EPIC GAMES LIKE INFAMOUS-KILLZONE 2-UNCHARTED 2 –METAL GEAR 4 GOP–AND ALL OTHER THIRD PARTY TITANS LIKE GTA IV– C.O.D WORLD AT WAR BAYONETA-FALL OUT THREE!! WICH IM STILL TRYING TO FINISH! AND THEN MODERN WF 2 STEALS MY HEART–AND SONY UNLEASHES THE TITANIC MONSTER THAT IS GOD OF WAR THREE!!! AND NOW IM BALANCING HEAVY RAIN– SONY HAS CONQUERED GAMING AS A WHOLE!! I HAVE PURCHASED EVERY ONE OF THESE TRIPLE AAA GAMES AND MUCH MORE AND I MUST SAY THAT THE PS3 REIGNS KING ABOVE ALL THAT IS CONSIDERED GAMING AND ENTERTAINMENT—PERIOD..DONT BELIEVE ME–(JUST ASK US–AND EVERYBODY ELSE HERE ON PSN—PS3 ACROSS THE GRAVE…(SALES DONT LIE)–(GOW 3)–(HEAVY RAIN)- BOTH TAKE GAME OF THE YEAR-IN MY BOOK..WE RULE!!!!!

+ l0rdh3lmit on April 13th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

This game was playing great until the dreaded 3.21 update. Since then my 60G PS3 freezes constantly. I tried playing this game again last night and had it lock up on me 4 times in an hour as well as creating a very choppy gameplay which could only be fixed by restarting the PS3. So for 2 hours of gameplay, I got about 30 minutes due to having to constantly reboot.

I hope Sony fixes this issue quick. however, I suspect that they will dump it on us as usual.

+ JaY_Ci_415 on April 13th, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

I have to play this game again but after I finish GOW3. I played it for a few days and got hooked immediately but then got caught up with a few other things. Can’t wait to see what happens when I get back on it.

Major props to Sony for all these great games they’ve put out for the PS3. I really feel that the PS3 is on a major role and a lot of people now are catching on.

2010 is going to be huge when it’s all said and done, imo.

+ TheGuardianFID on April 13th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

Classic!!! 8)

+ chaindrive30 on April 13th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

This is def great to hear! I just downloaded the taxadermist and am looking forward to more DLC for this game no this experience of epic proportions!

+ letherclad on April 13th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

I’m so glad this is doing well, its a masterpiece

PAGE 1 2