Minecraft PS4

Coming to PSN This Week: Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess! for PS3 and PSP

Paul Croft's Avatar + Posted by Paul Croft on Apr 22, 2010 // Co-Founder & Creative Director, Mediatonic

Hi Everyone!

Today we’re super pumped to announce that our first PlayStation Mini, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess!, goes live today on the PlayStation Store!

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

For those who aren’t familiar with the game, here’s a short summary.

Monsters have (probably) stolen your princess! Those fiendish and misshapen fools have (as far as we know) made off with your true love — and they haven’t even had the good grace to leave a shred of evidence to follow. Only sweeping accusations and devastating style can save her from the fate she will (possibly) face now!

Available exclusively from the PlayStation Store, MPSMP comes with a full story mode, six unique stages, awesome animated cutscenes and an incredible soundtrack the Duke himself would approve of. With 24 levels of monster pounding justice, this is (probably) the best deal ever.

Check out the trailer to see the game in action:

The game is available on both PS3 and PSP worldwide for the price of $4.99, so you can head to the store and grab it today! Be sure to let us know your best level scores: can anyone beat 2,300 on the first story mode level?

Thanks for all the great feedback and support! We’ve had an awesome time making the game. We’ve written a bit more about it on our blog here.

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

For more information on the making of the game, check out this blog post on our website, or follow Mediatonic on Facebook and Twitter.

PAGE 1 2

+ sazzrah on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:04 am said:

EU release? <3

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

The game is already out in EU :)

It should hit the US store later today

+ me2win on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:05 am said:

MPSMP looks great! Looking forward to picking that up!

+ rogXue on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:06 am said:

Hot Holy Hell I do believe I just found my first mini purchase! Thanks for making an awesome looking game!

+ loucetios on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:14 am said:

I’m gonna buy this game for two reasons
1) The game looks great
2) The name is sooo awesome

+ tsukasa1288 on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:15 am said:

I love the art for this game. And thank you for using a real vampire, I’ve seen enough of that Twilight crap.

+ hife on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:16 am said:

This might end up being an expensive Thursday update for me…, and this will be my first mini purchase too.

+ BigBoss712 on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

“available on both PS3 and PSP”? does that means I can play it on my PS3? or are minis just games playable on the psp?
anyways the game looks great.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

That’s correct, you can play it on your PS3 in addition to the PSP.

+ dinene1 on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:27 am said:

this game looks amazing.Im gonna get right away…probably

+ DZORMAGEN on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:45 am said:

This will be my 1st game!

+ DZORMAGEN on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

I will (probably) buy this game today! ;)

+ Spookymilk on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

@BigBoss

Yes, you can play Minis on your PS3. They’re not very clear about it, but I wanted to get a Mini for my daughter and figured 3 bucks was worth the risk, and it works.

+ Rahabib on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

I am not sure what I just saw. SO all you do is jump? Is there some kind of combat or something? This trailer explained nothing.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:43 am said:

The aim of the game is to hit the monster 3x before he escapes off the top of the level.

While doing this you need to build a combo (through not touching the same platform x2) in order to unleash bigger moves and rack up points (which unlock cool stuff)

+ BigBoss712 on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

@ Spookymilk thanks! that’s great I’m getting it.

+ tenshin78 on April 22nd, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

Looks like a plataformer in al rule, dont think there is “combat”, but I have seen the character doing some attacks to the bosses.

+ depward on April 22nd, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

This looks fantastic. Will be downloading when the store updates! Love the Minis platform…

+ mew_frenger on April 22nd, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

this might b my first mini. looks great!

+ Moosehole on April 22nd, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

I won’t even consider buying any minis until they support trophies on PS3. Sorry.

+ Rinaldus91 on April 22nd, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

Wow, looks FANTASTIC. Have a PS3, but this is a title I’d want to play on the go, so I’ll pick it up with my PSP come June 8th.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

It will come out on both PS3 and PSP today, so you should be able to grab it in a few hours with the store update :)

+ BlackIceJoe on April 22nd, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

I can’t wait to buy this game. I just need to pick up a PSN card first. I was looking on your website and I see Mediatonic made some other cool games like Must.Eat.Birds. & SteamWeavers. Is there a chance your other games will come to PSN?

I hope you get lots of game sales from Monsters (Probably ) Stole My Princess! Because the game looks great and I want to see you make more stuff for PSN in the future too.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Awesome!

We are doing more games for PSN – we’ve just started work on our next Minis title.

No plans on Must.Eat.Birds or Steamweavers yet but we’ve had a great experience with Sony so far, we’re hoping to do a lot more games in the future.

+ UnholierThanThou on April 22nd, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

@Rahabib I was thinking the same thing. The art and soundtrack are great, but the gameplay looks repetitive and boring as hell. Like the kind of thing I’d play up to the third level before I got so pissed off at the impossible jumps I just delete it in a rage. I’ll pass on this one and stick with Zombie Tycoon considering it’s still the only Mini I’ve seen worthy of a purchase.

+ DoctorJJ on April 22nd, 2010 at 9:37 am said:

I might wait until I hear GameOverGreggy’s take on it. :)

+ Anti-Steven on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:19 am said:

First mini purchase, looks fun!

+ Invert_Time_Rift on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

Been looking forward to this game for a while now. Finally it’s here… well almost here.

+ vampireLich on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

This actually looks pretty good, don’t know how long its been since i’ve downloaded something but i just might get this…

+ RibbonParadox13 on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

I just checked out the store atm. No sign of the game anywhere :) how would I know the store updates? Can’t wait to try out this game looks awesome :D

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

I’m not sure – it’s already live here in the UK.

The store updated around 4pm for us so it will probably be around this time in the US I think.

+ nerdmanwhippy on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

Looks awesome. I find the price point a little steep, but I’ll bite this time due to all the cards I stocked up on and haven’t had anything to spend on lately.

It’s nice to see you guys answering questions on the blog as well.

+ nerdmanwhippy on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

I feel I should clarify, in the above post when I mentioned I found the price point to be a little steep, I did not mean specifically for this game. I’m an owner of a ps3 and only a ps3, and I feel awkward about making purchases meant for the psp, even when it can be played on the ps3.

I think the game looks rad and I’m sure it’s worth the $4.99, it’s just when I purchase things, I prefer them to be developed for the actual system I will be playing them on.

So while I’ll purchase this game, and if you guys make any more rad mini’s I’ll most likely pick them up as well, I think you guys should consider trying out a game designed for specifically the ps3 for the network.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Sounds good!

We’ve started work on our next Mini already and we are talking about something larger though no plans yet – watch this space! :)

+ saintaqua on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

I really wish the PS3 version of the minis had trophies. Maybe one day. :D

+ megamanxzero35 on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

Is this game anyway related to Monster Surprise talked about by IGN’s Ryan Geddes on Game Scoop?

+ nerdmanwhippy on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

@28 I know what you mean. I would of made so many more impulse buys by now if that was so. I feel ashamed… stupid trophies and the urge to get more.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

We would also like trophy support :)

+ RibbonParadox13 on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

Oh, thanks Paul! its 1:33 P.M Atm, I shall wait till 4PM and complain if I don’t get it by then hahaha Jk. :D Spank you.

+ Hooligantuan on April 22nd, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Where can I download that hot jam?

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

I think you mean the music? It’s likely we’ll release the soundtrack to the game in a couple of weeks time if there is enough interest in it :)

+ plaztiksyke on April 22nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Let me add my voice to the chorus asking for a PS3 native version of MUST.EAT.BIRDS. (Not a mini if you please — the low-res gfx look bad on my 50″ TV, and I needs my trophies.) I think it would be a great casual for for the PlayStation Move. Maybe you could partner with Capy to get their awesome animation team to help!

+ manobon on April 22nd, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

Have been waiting on this since the first trailer/screenshots- really hope it’s as fun as it looks! (Also, good price point!)

+ plaztiksyke on April 22nd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Oh, and is the audio in this mini 16-bit losslessly compressed? At least 256kbit/sec AAC? Audio quality will be my deciding factor.

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:09 pm said:

Audio is MP3 compressed so not lossless – we did some neat remixes of old classical tracks for the main music though so I would recommend checking it out!

Thanks for the vote on MEB for the PS3! We’ll see what we can do :)

+ Axecution on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

@35

lmao your deciding factor on a 2D sidescroller PSP/PS3 Mini game is whether or not it supports uncompressed audio?
*facepalm*

Anyways! The game looks RIDICULOUSLY amazing. Especially for 5 dollars. I would easily go 10 bucks for this. Will be getting it the second the update hits as well as the Uncharted 2 content and the free MAG stuff. :) Pretty awesome update today.

So yeah, thanks Paul Croft for more 2D sidescroller awesomeness that the world is so lacking of. :D

+ iTofuMan on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

This looks really nice i might buy this today.

+ RibbonParadox13 on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

And yet it still not up :( Is there a way we can get a certain time/date for it ? :O Thanks :)

+ Paul Croft on April 22nd, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

I’m afraid not – it will definitely be today. I think generally updates are between 4pm – 6pm so it should be anytime now :)

+ Darth-Krayt on April 22nd, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

Funny, just before visiting the blog on my PS3 just now, I wondered to myself when this game was going to come out. Very excited. I just picked up a $20 PSN card from Best Buy and this will be my first minis purchase, and Monopoly will be my 2nd, seconds later.

This comment is directed towards Jeff and Sony because I STILL can’t watch this video on my PS3.

I find it odd that last night’s PS3 update secretly updated the Flash player, getting youtube working again with it’s new format. But yet we still can’t watch the PSBlog videos. If you guys went out of your way to update the Flash player, why not go all the way, so we can at least view Blog videos? It makes no sense. And stop with these hidden update features in the first place. Tell us everything……full disclosure.

+ RibbonParadox13 on April 22nd, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Sweet :) Just got updates gots me mah Munsters :)

+ wolfzero1 on April 22nd, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

looks pretty cool

+ DZORMAGEN on April 22nd, 2010 at 6:13 pm said:

Ok so I bought the game, and I love this game!! Everything about it. The art, the music, the humor, I already want more!! I wish there were more maps, and monsters!! But I will play until I fully complete the game! Great job, keep them coming, and make #2 already!! :)

+ poisonedsodapop on April 22nd, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

Picked the game up and beat the story mode pretty soon after. It’s pretty short but I can see playing more of it. I love the classical music in it I must say. That made me very happy.

+ Invert_Time_Rift on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:44 pm said:

Bought it and loved it! Keep up the great work!

+ Tengaport on April 23rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

just bought it as well! only had a chance to play the first level. good times so far :)

+ DoctorJJ on April 23rd, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

GameOverGreggy gave it his enthusiastic seal of approval! That’s good enough for me to get my first mini! Congrats Mediatonic!

+ CantaloupeKing on April 24th, 2010 at 3:51 am said:

Great first Mini, thanks for that!
Hey Paul, awesome game. I love the style and humor. It’s great in small doses, but also a mini-time sink, it’s deceptively tough when you’re chasing extras. This great game deserves heaps of praise. I’m looking forward to more, for PSP and (probably) PS3. Go Mediatonic!
It’s also great to see someone replying to comments on the Blog, obviously Grace or whoever doesn’t do that for the store updates.
And if you’re still monitoring these comments, I’d like that soundtrack, too. I recently had a favorable experience downloading the Flower soundtrack, I’d have no problem picking this one up. Woot!

+ Paul Croft on April 24th, 2010 at 4:51 am said:

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

The whole team here have been refreshing this page and others constantly looking out for more comments! It’s great to hear the game is going down well :)

We’ll have the soundtrack out in a couple of weeks time.

+ CantaloupeKing on April 24th, 2010 at 4:02 am said:

Oh, my. I read your challenge up in the article, booted up the game, and beat 2,300 points on the first level! 2,459 pts with a 50/50 combo! Sweet, I took pictures too. Yes, this game just keeps making me happy.

+ Paul Croft on April 24th, 2010 at 4:52 am said:

Awesome score!

Have you found world six yet? :)

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2010 at 4:12 am said:

Gonna get this after my boyfriend wakes up, so I can use my PS3.

+ Axecution on April 24th, 2010 at 7:33 am said:

Hey Paul! Bought it the second it went live yesterday. :D My first Mini. I’m kind of disappointed at how short it was, but whatever it was still an amazing game. >.>
I beat it in about 15 minutes though. Did it all during my period one class lol. Maybe you guys could consider turning it into a full game? I’d pay 20 bucks to play it for a few hours or so. Just saying… >.> Anyway i had a lot of fun with it. I’ll probably go and try and get higher scores and whatnot with it. Might play it on the PS3 too just for the hell of it. :D OH CRAP IT’S THE DUKE.
Gotta go.