PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

ModNation Racers Artist Spotlights: Sucker Punch rebuilds Empire City!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on Apr 26, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Greetings all and Merry ModNation Monday,

Just like the past two weeks, we’re kicking the week off with a new Artist Spotlight video. Last week we had the mind behind Twisted Metal and God of War, David Jaffe, give us his uncensored opinion about making games and his thoughts on ModNation Racers (okay, it was kinda censored). If you visited GameSpot at all last week, then you might have learned that we handed a copy of the game to the talented folks at Sucker Punch Productions to see what they could do with the ModNation creation tools.

So what happens when the crew responsible for the PS2 classic Sly Cooper franchise and the recent PS3 hit inFAMOUS decide to have some fun in ModNation?

Sly Cooper in ModNation Racers

Empire City gets rebuilt… ModNation-style!

This is an example of what happens when you combine some time and imagination with ModNation Racers. We look forward to bringing you more examples of this in future installments of the Artist Spotlights video series.

ModNationTV Spot hits the Airwaves

If you caught Peter Dille’s post last week, you know all about Kevin Butler‘s new ‘stache and uh…orange shorts. The VP ModNation Motivation hits Comedy Central on April 28th during the South Park season finale!

If you liked the orange shorts online, you’ll like them even better in HD!

(shiver)

Pre-order Mystery ModNation Mods and Karts Revealed Tomorrow!

If you pre-ordered ModNation, you scored either Kratos, Ratchet and Clank, or Nathan Drake. But you ALSO scored one of four mystery mods and kart packs!

??? in ModNation Racers ??? in ModNation Racers

??? in ModNation Racers ??? in ModNation Racers

Stay tuned on the PlayStation.Blog this week as we announce not only the Mystery Mods and Karts you will have a chance to score by pre-ordering, but a NEW familiar character who has decided to get a kart and join the RACE!

??? in ModNation Racers

See you then!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BrianMcGuinness on April 26th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

pre-ordered my kratos kart. can’t wait for this game.

+ illmatic610 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

lol, that’s sackboy. game looks great!

+ SPARDA on April 26th, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

I got to remember to pr-order this. Looking forward to it

SPARDA

+ iCubPro on April 26th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

That is *so* Sackboy in that final silhouette. Love the inFamous track, and I think that that’s the first decent look at the game’s 4th “city” theme…

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

We’ll find out very soon! (I can’t wait to race that track too!)

+ BlooodyCow on April 26th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

David Jaffe video was more entertaining because he is Jaffe, but the Ted Price and Sucker Punch video was more informative. Nice to see a good balance with these video informing us gamers from a developer perspective.
I hope we get SMS and ND next :)

For the mystery mod and racer, I am going to say its Cole from InFAMOUS:)

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Not a bad guess at all. Stay tuned.

+ Zookey on April 26th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Lord. Please make this track available! Please tell me it’ll be a free download—PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Stay tuned on the blog and we will let you know. :)

+ poweredbyzen on April 26th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

love the work of sucker punch – cant wait for infamous 2! :D

+ Aggie_CEO on April 26th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

BAD ASS!!!

+ FeistFan on April 26th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

Saw this video a while ago — I just hope the track is either on the disk, or available for (free?!) download. It looks like a blast!

And it shows how amazingly varied the tracks for MNR are going to be, right at the start. I’ve never bought a PS3 game first day before, but this one’s preordered!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

Sweet. You won’t regret it my friend. As for getting the InFAMOUS track we will let you guys know right here on the blog.

+ NewYork214 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:26 am said:

that is obviously sack boy lol. which i was wondering why he wasnt in there lol. Cant wait for this game. This is my most hyped game of the year(besides GoW3), unless R3 is announced for the fall.

+ TL2 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:26 am said:

Yes hopefully that track is showcased, it looked incredible, that was one of lbp’s biggest problems it was sometimes too hard to find the great levels that you knew were hidden there somewhere

+ Jetup on April 26th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

Ahhhh…..Sack Boy….should have seen it

+ the_Hedgehog on April 26th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

THIS TRACK NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH! Great job Sucker Punch!

+ ER-nut on April 26th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

i don’t care if i have to pay for it, i want that track!

P.S: Those pictures are going to keep me in suspense for hours lol

+ Airek on April 26th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

All I’ve really seen thus far is cool little outdoor tracks with the sun shining and trees as your surrounding. This really opened my eyes as to how much you can actually do.

Very impressive.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

Believe me, it opened a lot of eyes in the office too. Very similar to LBP, you never know what is possible once you get the game into capable and imaginative hands. We can’t wait to see what the community does with it!

+ coppi6976 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

wow, i want that infamous track!!!!!!!

+ MGO_Count on April 26th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Wow, that infamous car and track looks so crazy!!
Man, can’t wait for this game..

+ Jetup on April 26th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Green One = Golf theme
Yellow One = Mice theme
Brown One = Railroad theme?
Purple One = Samurai theme?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

Not bad! We will reveal very soon. I love the Samurai guess…I didn’t see that until now. Now I have to make a Samurai mod and Kart the next time I play. I haven’t see one of those yet.

+ Wipeoutt31 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

This game is gonna be insane!

+ dono_1994 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

@Jetup-no i think purple is cowboy, no idea what brown is though
P.S. had no idea you could make tracks that detailed, please have it up for free!

+ GabeP on April 26th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

Infamous track is looking great, nice job. That city theme is definitely one I’d like to get my hands on when I get my copy of MNR.

At first I was going to get the Nathan Drake pre-order because I’m loving that jeep and come on, Nathan Drake is a bad ass. But now I’m seeing what looks like a Sackboy and a Samurai (or cow?) character.. I can haz both plz?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Go ahead and pre-order to get your Drake on. If you stay tuned this week, you’ll see why everyone who has pre-ordered will have smiles on their faces.

+ Darkpen on April 26th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Oh wow. That track is super impressive. Now THAT’s the kind of stuff I want to see in these artist spotlight vids :) I want to play that track :D

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

I do too!

+ GabeP on April 26th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Yeah, purple is definitely a cow-cowboy. Would much rather have the Sackboy and Drake. Don’t deny me these things UFG!

+ poodude on April 26th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

I….WANT…NOW!

+ rogerwilco on April 26th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

I’m so utterly stoked for this game; The PlayStation 3 is THE console to have for user generated content – nothing else even comes close. It’ll be great to sit down with friends to create a custom track to race on – and be racing only a few minutes later.

Congratulations, Sony. You’ve delivered on the promise of next generation consoles.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Thanks. You and your friends are going to have a BLAST with this game. Nothing like beating a buddy on his own track. :)

+ TopBanana0769 on April 26th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

Thank you so much for the weekly posts. It makes the waiting a little easier. I’m extremely excited for the game (had it reserved since June and paid off since December). Can’t Wait!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

Gotta love ModNation Monday. :) A lot more great stuff to come in the weeks heading to launch.

+ NoobianGod on April 26th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

Nate Fox rules! SuckerPunch is just a fantastic game developer company and watching them get their hands on MNR is amazing!

inFAMOUS is in my top 3 PS3 games list and my only Platinum trophy game and just WOW on this track! Wow! This shows off amazing detail on this track editor.

I gotta find out what retailers are giving out what for the pre-orders and quick.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

It’s all on ModNation.com.

I agree, SUCKER PUNCH rocks.

+ Imputed7-14 on April 26th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

After seeing Sweet Tooth in the last video, then seeing Cole and Sly I am really hoping that Sony took this as an opportunity to create a Mario Kart-like game with a cool style and even cooler characters. Yes, I want to make my own Mods, but still it is cool to have the option of picking from these well loved characters.

Personally, this is the game that sold me on the PS3. I have been looking forward to it since last summer. Very excited to make tracks, mods, karts and race until the cows come home. Though it should be noted that no one seems to know where the cows actually are.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:41 am said:

We understand and who knows? There just might be more characters on the horizon.

In regard to Cows. They are in ModNation. :)

Make Giant Cows (and Donkeys and Camels and Sheep…) in and jump over them. Nothing really satisfies quite like that.

+ reson8er on April 26th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

That. is. Awesome. I just pre-ordered the game and look forward to playing it and seeing all the tracks people come up with :D

+ dragonmagician on April 26th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

Is the ‘NEW familiar character’ for people that preorder as well? Or some kind of DLC for everyone?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:41 am said:

You’ll find out very soon right here on the blog. :)

+ S-E-G on April 26th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

meh..
graphically it’s not that impressive
let the dlc milking process begin, a la lbp!
come on GT5!!

+ Korbei83 on April 26th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

Looks like Sackboy to me too. The shape of the head is quite telling, as is the barely noticeable stitch in the top right corner. We’ll see. Anything for another MNR post.

I pre-ordered through Amazon just this weekend. Very excited. I am completely behind the ‘Play. Create. Share.’ genre. It attacks my weak point for massive damage.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

Thanks for support! All will be revealed very soon.

+ elixus on April 26th, 2010 at 11:29 am said:

Wow. i hope i can recreate all the Motorstorm tracks with this game. Cant wait for this game to come out.

PS: Just got Infamous yesterday and this comes out. What are the odds?

+ StargamerX on April 26th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

Quick question: Do I have to already have the game pre-ordered to get the mystery mod?

I wouldn’t think so, but you worded it in the past-tense so I’m a little confused.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

All pre-orders get one mystery mod and kart pack. A nice little bonus on top of what you already get.

+ Army_of_Lefty on April 26th, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

Green = Golfer and Caddy Cart
Yellow= Racer Mouse with Racing Cheese
Brown = Pan boy with a Old Makeshift type car (a tomboy)
Dark Brown= Cow King and Tractor from the one MNR video

good guesses huh lol. and a guess for the familiar face is definitly sackboy and the car from the story mode. this game is gonna be great even BETTER now that sucker Punch worked they way into it and did a great job

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

Confirmation coming soon. :)

+ Vex_Doppel on April 26th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

It would be awesome if we had dynamic items to put on our Mods. Like for Cole, electricity. Dynamic flames on Sweet Tooth. Kratos’s blades of Chaos would glow. Just throwin out ideas that would rock.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

Ideas always welcome! I’m sure UFG is paying attention.

+ Grouch on April 26th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

I hope you guys don’t forget about the DYNANMIC DUO!!! … And I ain’t talkin’ about Batman and Robin, either.

Jak and Daxter!!

MNR was already a MUST have, but now with all the recent announcements you have to be crazy not to get this game!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:49 am said:

I would have to agree with that statement. :)

I agree, Jak and Daxter would be SWEET!

+ Noaxzl on April 26th, 2010 at 11:45 am said:

I already pre-ordered my copy of ModNation Racers from Amazon, so I’m getting Ratchet and Clank. Are the rest of the pre-order characters/karts gonna go up on the PSN for sale, eventually? I wanna get the Kratos one too, but I’m not gonna shell out another $60 just to get the other pre-order DLC.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

Not sure when or if those will be available post launch, but if they ever go on PSN we’ll be sure to announce right here.

+ poodude on April 26th, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

I have the same question as #38. I’m going to pre-order from Amazon, but I want the Nathan Drake kart. I perfer Drake over Ratchet (though they’re both awesome), I just perfer to shop from Amazon than Best Buy, or wherever Drake is available in Canada.

+ fedex682 on April 26th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

I preordered this game the day I got GOW3! and yes I will be getting the Kratos cart but I would love to have the other carts as well..Will there be an option for us to download the other carts & characters? I so want Ratchet!

Also how about a Madison Paige character and her bike? Now that will be awesome!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

Ha! That would be awesome to get Heavy Rain folks in there. “Jason!” If we get confirmation about making the Mods and characters available after launch, we will be sure to let everyone know.

+ GiorgiPorgie on April 26th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

Most impressive artist spotlight thus far. Huge Sucker Punch fan and not surprising to see that they really put the creation tools to work.

Been meaning to preorder for a while now, looks like that needs to change right now!

+ spunnups on April 26th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I can’t believe how real Empire City looked as a ModNation Track. Can you imagine all the possibilities? People are going to go bananas creating some really cool stuff. Can’t wait to be apart of it.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

What is crazy is that all Sucker Punch used were the in-game tools. No development tools at all. SICK!

+ Airwalkinman17 on April 26th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I will be getting this game! That video was awesome btw, I think that infamous stage looks so damn amazing. By far the most creative Modcreation of the 3 videos I’ve seen thus far (sorry- I don’t mean to step on Price/Jaffe’s toes!). Can’t wait

+ Xanthene on April 26th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

Question… i preordered but not from amazon, bestbuy, or gamespot. i know i will not get the special kits but will i still get a mystery kit?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

I don’t know which store you pre-ordered from so I can’t answer that. :(

+ theteam916 on April 26th, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

:bowdown: so amazing

+ twooh on April 26th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

@31

You took the words from me.

This game will milk dlc to extreme measures. And that’s the reason I will never buy this or any new LBP.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

Sorry you feel that way. I think LBP was a great game with or without DLC add-ons. Additional DLC isn’t necessary to have a great time with the game. Totally up to the individual person. MNR will be a totally full and fun experience right out of the box. Hope you reconsider! :)

+ WhiteF8ng on April 26th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

sackboy is that u? He would fit in. Will the other characters become DLC?

+ dono_1994 on April 26th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

@46 u kno u dont have to buy the dlc rite? i understand were you’re coming from but if ppl want to buy it, let them

+ Sparky_117 on April 26th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Wow! I thought the next video was going to be the spotlight for Naughty Dog, but boy was I wrong. Regardless, Sucker Punch is still awesome and it’s neat that they got a chance to play Modnation Racers. I also liked the Sly Cooper Mod and Empire City track. Sucker Punch FTW!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 26th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

To clarify, the Sly Cooper Mod was actually made by a fan on the Beta. I thought they did a great job too!

+ kpcox1016 on April 26th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said: