Horizon Zero Dawn

Apr 26

Apr 26

PlayStation Move Developer Diary: Brunswick Pro Bowling

Bobby King's Avatar Posted by Lead Designer, FarSight Studios

Hey everyone, this is Bobby King. I’m the lead designer of Brunswick Pro Bowling and undisputed bowling champion of FarSight Studios! Well, Jeff Rice, the lead programmer of our bowling game is pretty darn good too, so he might dispute my title. More than half of our studio bowls regularly in a weekly league up here in Big Bear Lake, CA so most of us are decent bowlers and huge fans of the sport.

We are all very excited to be working with Crave and Brunswick to make the definitive bowling game. A big part of that excitement has to do with the real world data we get from the PlayStation Move motion controller. For more details how perfect the PlayStation Move is for Brunswick Pro Bowling, check out the video below.

There are many different styles to bowling and thanks to accuracy of the PlayStation Move, we can mimic the technique of all types of throws. Whether you throw a huge hook or toss a straight ball at rocket speed, the PlayStation Move will track your hand movement and wrist rotation perfectly to give us the information we need to match individual bowling styles and give you the most authentic bowling experience ever.

When we were introduced to a prototype of the PlayStation Move motion controller by Sony, we fell in love instantly with the tech innovations and possibilities it offers to Brunswick Pro Bowling. Our bowling game was at an early stage back in March when we first showed it; but even with just our first pass at the PlayStation Move motion controls, the game was already fun.

Our physics and bowling controls have come a long way over the past month. We can’t wait to show off Brunswick Pro Bowling at E3 this June!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

kmkaizen said:

April 26th, 3:10 pm

finlly some thing cool with playstation move

BlooodyCow said:

April 26th, 3:12 pm

Great, more of these me too games.

VincentVendetta said:

April 26th, 3:15 pm

If you put PlayStation Move support on High Velocity Bowling, it would ten times better than this!

Tim_Static said:

April 26th, 3:20 pm

yes, because going to a local bowling alley (which is so much cheaper) is totally out of the question now…

nothing can replicate the real. leave the house, peoples.

b_allerkb24 said:

April 26th, 3:21 pm

please sony don’t ruin e3 by devoting 60 percent of the show with playstation move please pretty please

Anti-Dentite said:

April 26th, 3:24 pm

Yes. This is the reason I paid $600 for a PS3. To play a bowling game that is a copy/paste version of Wii bowling. Great job Sony. Keep doing what you’re doing and maybe someday you’ll get out of 3rd place.

Subtenko said:

April 26th, 3:25 pm

Bring out the FPS’s with the PS Move and PS eye!

pgsdi said:

April 26th, 3:26 pm

I understand the Move is a serious new peripheral for the PS3.. but lets be honest here. Those graphics are embarrassing. This message goes out to you SONY. Do not shoot yourself in the foot.
by handing out shovelware to your loyal gamers. I already see this trend happening…. and for one I am not going to buy into it……

polo155 said:

April 26th, 3:27 pm

Hey Bob was that u at the nyc blog meet up?

DNAgent said:

April 26th, 3:30 pm

Speaking of bowling games…Will High Velocity Bowling get Playstation Move support like in a patch? That’s the kind of game that seems it would more a lot better with Playstation Move than the regular controller.

Stertzwalker said:

April 26th, 3:35 pm

I can’t wait!!

Army_of_Lefty said:

April 26th, 3:36 pm

yea #9!

great work with all this stuff you guys have been doing with PS Move. Itll be a great way to get a family together especially with the bowling. really looking forward to this to really get my PS Eye out and about and same with my family. day one must buy for any and every PS Move product involving family and moving. Great Work :)

mikedo2007 said:

April 26th, 3:37 pm

Cool and intresting. Can’t wait for Playstation Move to come out. I wonder if No More Heroes: Heroes’ paradise will be Move support. I know that game came out in Japan, but delay the western release, I want the US and Europe version of the game to have Move support. JPN version should get patch for it when Move come out.

iComet said:

April 26th, 3:39 pm

PS Move + PS Eye + High Definition + 3D > Project Natal + Wii
Just bring the hardcore games, and Move will be a success ;D

daascender said:

April 26th, 3:43 pm

gonna buy move! when it comes out first day buy!

myz068u said:

April 26th, 3:47 pm

@12

I agree!! :)

KellyJaye said:

April 26th, 3:49 pm

@#7… I can agree but I have a little more faith here. Graphics are still a little first gen right now but im sure that will pass. This kind of stuff is being made by people who are fans and know what people want, and have seen what has failed. All the crazy stuff that came out in the NES days were mostly horrible and made by people who were not real game fans and knew what kids wanted because, well, they were adults who designed around the wallet. Now those people that played with that stuff know what suck and know what not to do. Same with why we are seeing tv shows and movies for things like Transformers and GI Joe….NOW, though the toys are 20+ years old when they were big. Its because all those people that played with them back then know what they would mostly work and are true fans. The Move is being made by people that have a real idea what gamers are looking for now! :-)

dragonmagician said:

April 26th, 3:55 pm

I’m hoping the “next gen” graphics are still being worked on, cause it looks worse than a Wii game right now. Either way, good job supporting the Move.

NESGamepro said:

April 26th, 4:02 pm

I’ve seen this before. Can I import my Mii’s?

ILOVEPLASTATION3 said:

April 26th, 4:13 pm

Poor, poor high velocity bowling… :( But this game looks cool!

DA_SHREDDER said:

April 26th, 4:16 pm

I cant wait to get Tiger Woods, MLB The Show, and a sick bowling game like this using the motion control.

NewYork214 said:

April 26th, 4:25 pm

You guys should make it Mod Nation Monday and Move Monday. i like these posts

Jeigh said:

April 26th, 4:37 pm

You guys are doing DAMN good job- both the developer here, and Sony in general in building up Move support. That statement that “there’s so much to work with” was very eye-opening for me: having tons of extra information can provide SO much more power and potential to work with. I was aware of this on some level for awhile, but that statement specifically really resonated with me.

footballrule said:

April 26th, 4:49 pm

Playstation Move is looking better an better everytime I see it. I hope it will be supported by Playstation Home someday. :p

nathan118 said:

April 26th, 4:55 pm

This looks worse than wii sports…

Roverxk9 said:

April 26th, 5:14 pm

I cant wait to see what happens with Move, however to be honest the wii bowling game still looks like it plays better. I hope I’m wrong though.

gus_xl said:

April 26th, 5:14 pm

If you could add Candle Pin as DLC, that would be fabulous! ( yes, I’m from New England )

akibake said:

April 26th, 5:22 pm

I’m sorry to make the inevitable comparison to Wii, but how can you get around it. Wii also tracks the wrist movements with its 6-way accelerometers, applying spin and velocity to the ball. So that doesn’t seem to be such a good talking point for Move.

smokey_vols said:

April 26th, 5:24 pm

Not impressed at all.

Natureboy99 said:

April 26th, 5:43 pm

put move on high velocity bowling…

S-E-G said:

April 26th, 6:02 pm

i hope high velocity bowling gets the move patch

ADR143 said:

April 26th, 6:06 pm

decent looking game. hate that move is pricey

jds07 said:

April 26th, 6:40 pm

I see this game has improved since the CES event. The game had about a 5 sec lag with the Move controller. If they were to add the Move controller to High Velocity Bowling, I would much rather it be a sequel instead of a patch. That way the controls can be built from the ground up. Not something that was just slapped on to the game.

Fexelea said:

April 26th, 6:52 pm

Whils I appreciate the technology behind this, I have no interest in games like this. Tell me how these can improve my rpg or action experience, without worsening my rsi from typing, and I’ll buy it.

station3fever said:

April 26th, 7:01 pm

I bought ps3 eye and only a few games that work (support) with it so this might be the same thing. This time i’ll wait and see how many games are going to support the “ps move”. Before i even think about buying. I’m not knocking it down as it does look promising but i’m gonna wait on this 1. :) (Give us Games that will support it “not just 3”)

CDubyahS said:

April 26th, 7:21 pm

kewl but I already have high velocity bowling…

x-former said:

April 26th, 9:21 pm

hmmmm looks interesting, i’ll keep my eye on it…and the price. But i agree with a lot of the people on here, High Velocity Bowling needs move support, or maybe a High Velocity Bowling 2??

Skater_Ricky said:

April 26th, 10:33 pm

Awesome.. Keep the Support up SONY.. I here for one am a Great Supporter here.

PlayStation MOVE Supporter Day 1 for me :D

The Controls are going to be way better then High Velocity Bowling and Wii Bowling by a Mile :D

No Cheaters here :P Come on people get off the Chair and..

MOVE MUAHHHAAAAA!!

Lirion said:

April 27th, 1:11 am

Love to watch these diaries.

Bodachi said:

April 27th, 1:19 am

Wow that just looks bad

maddymad said:

April 27th, 2:24 am

Can’t wait to find out what Sony has to show at E3 about Move.

The_Claw said:

April 27th, 2:43 am

ugh…i love sony, dont get me wrong…but the move is just a bad idea. its a exact copy of the wii motion controllers…even with the little wristband and all. their whole selling point is…how accurate it is? who cares? if consumers want motion controls..they will go with what they know…the wii. you honestly think that soccer mom is going to shell out 400 bucks for the ps3 move bundle? your out of your mind. please keep the move segment at e3 to under 10 minutes…your customers dont want this…

Daz_Genetic said:

April 27th, 7:01 am

I really hope those visuals and physics aren’t even close to finished. That is one of the ugliest and kludgy bowling games I’ve seen in a long time. And that includes Wii Bowling. At least you can see the reflections of the ball and pins in that game.

Shoddy, lowest common denominator stuff like this will only end up hurting the Move as a platform.

moix11 said:

April 27th, 7:46 am

I hate to see the slogan “it simply does everything” when the ps3 can’t reproduce the most common hd format i the world: MKV

Hitman-Merc said:

April 27th, 8:16 am

this is FUBAR Wii bowling for PS3 no no no no no no no
keep Wii to it self not for sony too copy that junk
buy a Wii if you want this garbage

DragonRay said:

April 27th, 8:50 am

worst bowling game around , I bought it for my wii and honestly , the wii sports bowling is 10 times better in controls and gameplay and even audio .
why would anyone want it on ps3 when they’ve shown with the wii that they can’t do motion controls very well .

I wouldn’t waste my money on this unless it includes the ps move controller and costs $5 more than the ps move by itself .

tcmdoc said:

April 27th, 9:04 am

Not too impressed with the graphics shown here, but if the precision is better, than I would happily pop this in over wii sports resort bowling. The kicker with bowling games is that we would never do as well on a lane as we do in our living rooms, yet we still complain about accuracy. If the accuracy on this game is really as good as they say, then I expect I will be more satisfied with the realism, but have a little less fun. But at least I’ll know it was me who screwed up the shot, and not a crappy motion controller.

JKC31 said:

April 27th, 9:09 am

Getting this company making games for your system is like going fishing for Bass and only catching Catfish. Your line is to deep and all your getting is bottom feeders.

JumpMan33 said:

April 27th, 9:32 am

I think part of the reason the flood gates were open for shovelware games on the wii was that Nintendo didn’t have any standards for graphics and control at launch, I hope Sony comes out with a high quality first party game on ps move’s launch to show other what the move is really capable of.

zombie9 said:

April 27th, 9:52 am

Wii= Yawn (Boring)
I get to watch people play with the Move controler for the next 6 months thank’s Sony! But I got news for U SONY video doesn’t work so that makes us even LOL:)

PAGE 1 2