PS4-The Order

Sneak Peek: The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves

Mick Perona's Avatar + Posted by Mick Perona on Apr 26, 2010 // Associate Product Marketing Manager, First Party Games

Like UNCHARTED

As you may have seen on NaughtyDog.com, the developers of the 2009 smash hit UNCHARTED 2 have released details around the upcoming art book, The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves from Ballistic Publishing.

AoU2_three_editions

As described in Naughty Dog’s post, the Limited Folio edition is available in only 200 printed copies, but includes elite extra details beyond the standard paperback and the leather-bound Special Edition. The Limited Folio Edition of the art book is bound in black suede leather with gold-embossed cover art, and a matching hand-crafted, black suede leather-bound presentation case with a ribbon. Also included is a certificate of authenticity that have been individually numbered and hand signed by Evan, Amy, Robh and Erick. Each book is 272 pages and contains over 180 pages of concept art, and over 80 pages of production art and character models.

sham-wide-render-wire

drake-pose_upsize chloe-final-design

All three editions will be available this month and can still be pre-ordered NOW at Ballistic Publishing.

We gave Greg Miller at IGN a few of the first copies to show off and the result can be found here. For an in-depth sneak peek at the art in the book, as well as an in-depth look at each of the three print editions, visit the Ballistic Publishing site for an interactive book tour.

incentive1

53 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ Draicus on April 26th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Ooooh, pretty. Think I might pre-order.

Mick Perona's Avatar

+ Mick Perona on April 26th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

Gotta move fast if you want to snag one of those Folio editions! Only 200 of those babies!

+ Nintendo451 on April 26th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

Any chances that you’ll give it away through multiplayer, like the Special Edition of the game?

+ tearsofash on April 26th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

Looks pretty cool, I think I’ll pre-order! Hope I’m one of the first 300!

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on April 26th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

Can’t wait for UC3, hoping for a deeper multiplay & customized weapon loadouts on the next one

+ blindrocket on April 26th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

Looks amazingly nice. How about a contest to win one of the nice editions? :-D

+ Midgetguy on April 26th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

This looks REALLY cool!

Unfortunately, I’m a bit low on cash at the moment… but that “elite” edition with the signed certificate is pretty awesome!

+ fadecy on April 26th, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

+ lordofdarkness85 on April 26th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

Just for US? What about in UK?

+ phantomballa on April 26th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

will i cost quit a bit??

+ poweredbyzen on April 26th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

all the good numbers are taken – sigh. :\

+ Jetup on April 26th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

Me want that art boo

+ Link01 on April 26th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

* sigh *… it’s too much money for my budget * I want that 3D tv *. >.< and I'm probably one of the biggest Uncharted fans you'll find.

+ poweredbyzen on April 26th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

i’m saving for the metal gear bundle in june. i’ll just hold on to my copy of uncharted: drake’s fortune in original cover and shrink-wrapped, though i know this volume will be a real collector’s piece in the future.

+ fadecy on April 26th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

God this blog sucks. At least you get a reply on the EU blog if you ask a decent question.

+ WILLDWILL-BR on April 26th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

I just bought mine!

+ GameOverGreggy on April 26th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

Greg Miller and IGN are hot.

+ MLZ911 on April 26th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

any chance of a giveaway on the blog?

+ xaos on April 26th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

I managed to say “No” the first time you guys offered but dang it, now I just ordered one of the folio editions

+ Gibeon_da_Soulja on April 26th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

oooooh I want one of these. Are these limited other than the limited editions? Maybe im confused.

+ MGO_Count on April 26th, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

I NEED THIS. This is the job I’ve always wanted.! Background designing. And the one who made Uncharted 2′s background is my inspiration !!!

+ MGO_Count on April 26th, 2010 at 6:41 pm said:

But 300$ =_=;; :(

+ Rated-G on April 26th, 2010 at 6:42 pm said:

Proud owner of Folio Edition #16! I can’t wait for the book to get here, it’s supposed to ship May 3rd.

I love the artwork the folks at Naughty Dog have produced for this game, it’s truly inspiring, and I’d much rather spend my $375 dollars on this book than $345 on textbooks for this semester in art school, I’ll just use the school library for now!

+ Mosh_Pit on April 26th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

lol only U.S……..

+ Korbei83 on April 26th, 2010 at 7:07 pm said:

I want a sneak peak at Uncharted 3. I’m suffering from Drake withdrawals over here.

+ monterja on April 26th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

FIX THIS GD BROWSER THIS CONSOLE IS NOT A COMMODORE 64. PLEASE JOIN THE 21ST CENTURY & THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!!!
It would have been nice to watch the video from IGN.

+ CDubyahS on April 26th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

U3? Im still playing Drake’s fortune on CRUSHING! lol!

+ retro25 on April 26th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

Can’t wait for that book to come out. ^-^

+ nerdmanwhippy on April 26th, 2010 at 8:46 pm said:

I was super excited until I seen the $300 price tag. Even the 65$ is too much for me, it would have to be metal gear related or blizzard related for me be to pay that much.

+ COMBATCSOLDIER on April 26th, 2010 at 9:34 pm said:

This looks beautiful and awsome rolled into one. Cant wait to see who gets a copy.

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on April 26th, 2010 at 10:18 pm said:

wow, all other art books i usually get from games are nothing…

its like comparing pamphlets to novels when looking at this

+ Balthaser on April 26th, 2010 at 10:44 pm said:

After 5 minutes I read this post, there’s a new hole of $300+ in my bank account~~~

Just can’t help it.

+ Invert_Time_Rift on April 26th, 2010 at 10:52 pm said:

Pretty sweet, except for the price that is…..

+ AlcesAlces on April 26th, 2010 at 10:59 pm said:

“Are there any plans to release this in the UK, via Amazon UK or something? I would love to own this.”

We’re a global publishing company – we’ll ship nearly anywhere on the planet :)

The limited editions all come out of Australia as it happens :)

+ Balthaser on April 26th, 2010 at 10:59 pm said:

@Invert_Time_Rift,

Well, I can only say I’m glad the monthly pay day is around the corner

+ Andrefpvs on April 27th, 2010 at 12:36 am said:

May I have this in Europe? I’ll buy.

+ angelspawn77 on April 27th, 2010 at 1:00 am said:

damn I would LOVE to have that in my possession and put it next to my GOW3 ultimate edition guide and art book that came with the ultimate edition box, I never managed to win a fortune hunter edition and this would have made up for that, but the price is a bit steep so ill have to pass due to money issues :(

+ Marcellino on April 27th, 2010 at 4:58 am said:

THREE-HUNDRED DOLLARS? Holy crap! Are the pages printed on SOLID GOLD?

+ VenomUK on April 27th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

ONLY 200 copies and many people will be disappointed.Why not also do a budget release for the masses?

Any UK/EU release plans?

+ roseofmayix on April 27th, 2010 at 8:58 am said:

Holy over priced artbook! I thought ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2 $30 artbook was overpriced, but this is just ridiculous!

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on April 27th, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

waiting for this to come out in the UK :)

got the Uncharted 2 special edition so this would compliment it perfectly :)

+ Cyris on April 27th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

I was going to get the Folio edition, but I can’t afford it now that I’ve seen that it costs $76 to ship.

+ ken_kimura on April 27th, 2010 at 9:30 am said:

Amazon has a more reasonable price, $41 for the softcover instead of $65.

+ Tridon on April 27th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

Well, I was going to buy the Limited Folio Edition (even though I personally think no book, no matter how pretty it is, is worth $300) until I was met with the disturbing news that it’d cost an additional $95 to ship here to Canada. I mean, it’s not even like it has to go overseas. On top of that, it can only be shipped by Fed-Ex who also bill the customer a seperate shipping bill at a later date (usually $10-$15). So, in the end, as much as I wanted the Limited Edition, I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s no way I’m spending one month’s rent on a book. Come on… it’d be near $450 Canadian when it’s all said and done. That’s ridiculous.

+ napkin on April 27th, 2010 at 10:22 am said:

Just got the softcover one. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I love these kinds of artbooks that come with the games.

300$ for that last one is crazy though, you could get a PS3 for that much jesus.

+ ShaoranLi on April 27th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

Too bad don’t have the money for the limited 200. I’m just gonna go for the slick timeless special edition cover one.

+ Rated-G on April 27th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Actually Tridon, it IS shipping overseas. From South Austrailia. And, if you’re going to put 300 dollars down on a book that’s going to ship overseas, you’re definitely going to want to get it shipped the best way possible. Ballistic takes out the lower options for their pricier books to make sure they don’t get any complaints when the books arrive.

Also, someone said they thought $30 was overpriced for an art book, seriously? Maybe for one of those little 48-96 page books that typically comes with a special edition of a video game, but for a full sized portfolio grade professional art book $40-$70 is about average. The folio edition is likely for a serious collector or art enthusiast, the person who likely spent more time in the game staring at the detail in the textures on a rock than shooting at enemies.

Yeah, you could get a PS3 for that amount of money, but some people, love this kind of stuff. As I said earlier, I’d rather spend $300 dollars on a book I actually want and will continue to enjoy for years, than on a textbook that I’m going to use about 70 pages of during a semester of school and then never use again.

+ Chrisius on April 27th, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Okay, somebody has to get me that Chloe art Elena-fied. PLEASE!

+ AceBeeDee on April 27th, 2010 at 12:53 pm said:

neat book…u should offer a digital version on PSN. you know, for those who just want to have a looksee. 5-10 bucks, what the hey, right?

+ Tridon on April 27th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

@ Rated-G

Yes, I know they ship overseas. I was saying that $95 to ship to Canada when it’s not even overseas was ridiculous. I could see it being that much to go to Europe, Australia, etc., but to just go across the US/Canada border, you don’t think $95 is insane?

+ ErwinR55 on April 27th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

I was one of the first who bought the Folio AND special edition :D

Looking foreward to receive these. I really really liked the ODDWORLD First 10 years book.

( I even own the limited editions, special folio and hard cover versions of the Oddworld edition)

One advise to all: BUY VELVET GLOVES, because the paper is very gready with finger prints! And you don’t want your big dollar books to be smudged with finger prints in them!

PAGE 1 2