PS4-Watch_Dogs

ModNation Racers: Mystery Mods Revealed!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on Apr 27, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

FIRST, A NEW TRAILER

I’d like to kick off this post with a brand new trailer. We’ve been talking a lot about the Mods you can get by pre-ordering ModNation Racers for PS3, but we’ve never seen them in action. So what do Ratchet, Clank, Kratos, and Nathan Drake look like when they finally take the wheel ModNation-style? Click on our latest trailer to find out!

SACKBOY JOINS THE RACE!

ModNation Rackers gets Sackboy!

Sackboy officially joins the ModNation Racers crew with a sweet Cardboard roadster!

Please welcome the latest addition to the ModNation Racer family….SACKBOY! Congrats to everyone who guessed correctly.

ModNation Racers (Sackboy) ModNation Racers (Sackboy)

It’s only fitting that hero that started the Play, Create, Share movement joins the cast of ModNation. Now the question is, how do you get him?

Well, that part’s easy!

On May 25th, look out for specially stickered copies of ModNation Racers for PS3!

ModNation Racers with Sackboy bonus Mod ModNation Racers with Sackboy bonus Mod

Inside those copies you will get a PSN voucher good for the Sackboy Mod and his sweet Cardboard kart. Early pre-ordered copies will come with a packed-in Sackboy voucher. This offer is valid only while supplies last, so you’ve gotta be quick!

BONUS MYSTERY MOD and KART PACKS REVEALED!

If you pre-order or have pre-ordered from a participating retailer (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, and GameCrazy) you not only get one of your favorite characters but you will get one of the four BONUS Mod and Kart packs below!

Each pack comes with an original Mod and Kart Body, PLUS you get special accessories that you can use in your own creations!

Which one will you get? Who knows? It’s the luck of the draw. Find out when you redeem your pre-order voucher code.

Till then, anyone got a favorite?

ModNation Racers: Mouse Trap ModNation Racers for PS3 (Mouse Trap)

Mouse Trap
Ready to catch his next meal, this clever cat speeds around a big wedge of cheese to lure in his next meal.

Mod Accessories: Feline Ears, Cat Eyes, and Claws
Kart Accessories: Cheese Wheel and Cat Toy Ornaments

ModNation Racers: Lil Tinker ModNation Racers (Lil Tinker)

Lil Tinker
Some kids were just born to race. Sporting a homemade Soap Box Racer and X-Ray Specs, this little rascal is ready to go.

Mod Accessories: X-Ray Glasses and Pot Helmet
Kart Accessories: Nail ornament and Trash Steering Wheel

ModNation Racers: Cowboy ModNation Racers (Cowboy)

Cowboy
MOO-ve over! There’s a new sheriff in town. If you don’t get out of his way, his truck will mow you into hamburger!

Mod Accessories: Cowboy Hat, Straw, and Chaps
Kart Accessories: Saddle Seat and Rope Steering Wheel

ModNation Racers: Woody ModNation Racers for PS3 (Woody)

Woody
You don’t have to watch Caddyshack to know you don’t mess with this gopher and his souped up Golf Kart. Whether on the fairway or on the race track, this guy likes to “drive”!

Mod Accessories: Golf Hat, Gopher Nose, Argyle Sweater Vest
Kart Accessories: Golf Kart Seat

+ Thrasher20 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

I love the sack!

+ Morphweasel on April 27th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Any chance we can get Sackboy in Europe too? :D

PS: I won a dutch MNR promo disc, which I will get at the MNR release date by mail. Any chance I can still play with Ratchet/Sackboy? Can you tell me if the promo disc will support (future) DLC at all?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

Sorry, I don’t know. But I’ll pass your question on to my European counterpart. :)

+ cool_trainer on April 27th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

@Chuck Larson
Oh, i see. Thank you for the response though, still looking forwrd to the game =]

+ WowahNoah on April 27th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

What if you gat it on the psp?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

Then you got a SWEET game on the PSP!

+ Sparky_117 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

@Chuck Lacson: I already know about the contest, I’m not really crazy about getting the real-life kart, but thanks anyway.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

Cool. (But it comes with a BUILT IN PS3 and Bravia TV!)

What hurts is that I can’t enter any of our contests. Weak.

+ Sparky_117 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

Oops! I left a comma after the word “contest” instead of a period. Oh well.

+ AWESOMEgamer875 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

This game wasn’t that appealing at first but with all of the new content that’s been revealed I’m really looking good, I will buy this!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

Glad you are starting to dig it.

+ ShatteredRaven77 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

…that’s what she said

+ iTofuMan on April 27th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Please make a pre-order bonus for the psp version…ill be your best friend!

+ SykoTech on April 27th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Nice vid. All this promotion you guys are doing has done a great job helping ModNation Racers land on my hype radar. Can’t wait to play it.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Thanks! More stuff to come.

+ Army_of_Lefty on April 27th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Holy cow! (literally) this not what i expected in the least and im glad i was suprised!!! i thought each retailler got a certain mystery kart cause of the picture thing on Modnation.com but this is great! i really want either the Mouse Trap or Woody cause im a golf fan, but to know ALSO i get my one and only great SACKBOY from LBP is just tooo much top handle. so i get 2 great characters already, Sackboy & Kratos PLUS one of four great guys also. im too anxious right now to just get started. holy cow man thank u so much Chuck for keeping me and everyone posted every day/ week. hope to see u playing too man

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

My pleasure! Racing and downloading tracks is all I plan to do after we launch.

+ angelspawn77 on April 27th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

awesome! I want this game NOW! sackboy in modnation, it just had to happen, both play create share game characters must be in one game kicking ass! I hope you guys release all the pre order bonus costumes as dlc later on, I will be getting Kratos, but I want drake and R&C too.

+ Zookey on April 27th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

Do Amazon pre-orders automatically get Sackboy? I pre-ordered on Amazon for Ratchet…

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Yup! Pre-orders a promised a Sackboy. If you don’t pre-order, you have to look for a stickered copy in the store to get the one with the voucher.

+ TubaDude49 on April 27th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

UFG, can you take a look at my Axl mod I made in the beta?http://www.flickr.com/photos/45800055@N03/4206567228/

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Im not from UFG, but nice work!

+ TapDatApp on April 27th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

“Early pre-ordered copies will come with a packed-in Sackboy voucher.” – This is Fantastic News as I LOVE Sackboy and before I pressed “Read More” I was freaking out because I thought he might not be included in my copy of the game from GameStop! This just keeps getting better & better, thank you so much United Front & Sony!

P.S. What exactly do you mean by “packed-in voucher”? Where should I look for it when I open up my game or is it like automatically already on the game disc?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

There is a voucher card inside the stickered package. Scratch off the code, redeem on PSN, and BOOM! You can get your Sack-On!

+ justins123456 on April 27th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

have they announced if this game will support sixaxis or playstation move because even tho i will be using analogs i think sixaxis would be fun for the casual

+ TapDatApp on April 27th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Also, are the mystery mods pure random or will all pre-orders from (for example-) GameStop get the same mystery mod?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Pure Randomness! Good luck.

+ footballrule on April 27th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

I’m all for Sackboy!!! Modnation Racers rocks! :D

+ M7261998 on April 27th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

is this offer good in Canada? And GO CANUCKS!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

I believe so, but please refer to the retailer to confirm.

+ R1LEY62 on April 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

So even if there won’t be any pre-order bonuses for MNR PSP, can we expect some future dlc off the PSP Playstation Store? ( like what Sony Cambridge did with LBP PSP) :D

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

I don’t think we have anything confirmed but I’m sure that comes up we will announce right here.

+ BlueRangerSuo on April 27th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Any chance of Modnation PSN Avatars? I really enjoyed the LBP ones, and would gladly pay $0.20 for a Modnation one.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Definitely a chance.

+ CapinChronic on April 27th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

How bout some MNR PSN avatars???/ Pretty please!?? ^_^

+ wolfzero1 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

hope I can get the either the Cowboy or Woody. May 25 can’t get here fast enough

+ Keyeszx on April 27th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

I’ve been wondering. Is the creation going to be similar to LittleBigPlanet where you do some main story, for racing a grand prix, and get materials and stuff for creating whatever you want? Also won’t the created levels look very generic if the buildings are the same? How will we be able to change? Unless you guys really put that many different themes and styles into the game that it can be different, but that would be amazing if you really did get that much variety.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

There is a full Career mode (which we will go into very soon) where you can earn more creative materials as you progress but you can create right from the beginning without playing through. The Sucker Punch video yesterday is proof that levels can look VERY different depending on the creator. The tools are very deep and there are enough themes and props for a lot of variety.

+ escosia1 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

my parents are traveling to the us on may getting it day one but dificult to pre order or get sackboy…needing these stuff in south america we are so underapreciated by the world we ahve money people

+ SteamPunkGnome on April 27th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

Hey, I think this is all dandy and sweet, and it’s great to know that you guys are taking a route like LBP did with all the add-on characters. But if you ever do reach the decision to sell them on the PSN, I really think you shouldn’t wait a whole year and a half like Media Molecule did with their’s. Once this game comes out TO EBAY I GO.

And about the mystery characters, are they pre-order exclusives like the rest? If they are, any chance they’d have a better chance at being sold on the PSN? I really dig the Cowboy and Woody, but I don’t think I’d be willing to spend that much money for some codes that are random, or does it say what they are on the voucher?

One last thing, is there going to be a sort of “party up” system like in LBP? Like, can you create tracks with 2-4 people? I have a friend, and we used to play LBP to death, and this would be just as fun, if not, ten times more if we could create a track together.

Thanks!

I look forward to buying ModNation Racers!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:44 pm said:

No Group create feature yet, but that would be interesting.

The Mystery Mod isn’t on the voucher. You won’t be able to know your mystery mod until you download it. Like the other Pre-order characters, I don’t know when these guys will be available but I think it would be cool to offer them on PSN at some point.

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

Please tell me a PS3 demo is coming. I preordered 2 copies already, but a month is a long time to wait!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

It is coming!

The question is when?

The answer will be here on the blog soon I hope. :)

+ halebound00 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

Chuck….I was already gonna buy this for my wife and daughter so I can smoke them like I do in Rag Doll Kung Fu, but now I am gonna make sure all my friends pick it up just because you have been so cool at replying to people. Way to build up the goodwill with the fans. Other devs should take note.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Thanks halebound00! I really appreciate it. This is one of the perks of the job. Seeing how excited folks are getting and interfacing with them. Hope you and your family and friends have a blast with the game once it comes out! :)

+ ndw4 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Sackboy looks really creepy.

+ Permafry_42 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

Is LittleBig Planet going to get a Modnation Racers Map/costume Pack? Please consider this if you aren’t planning on it. also, if you could give some exclusive DLC to Qore members(or if not exclusive then the preorder bonuses) when the games come out? that would be awesome since subscribed to Qore just to get in the ModNation Racers Beta.

btw I agree with 49; you ARE playing dirty with us by taunting us with the prospect of playing as Sackboy. And like him i plan to preorder tonight.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

If you a Qore subscriber you already got early access to the MNR PSP Demo! Not a bad perk at all. :)

As for an LBP Costume pack, be sure to make that comment on this weeks Sack-it-to-Me post. Mark will be sure to take down that request.

+ ajritchie on April 27th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

The level shown in the vid looks like Sucker Punch’s Empire City level. I can’t wait to race that track.

As much as I appreciate all the support you’re throwing behind MNR, it almost adds too much torture to the wait. Please, please, please can we have a demo soon? We were able to play the God of War III demo more than a month in advance. I want to play now. No other game is giving me the racing fix I crave.

Demo now?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

Ha! Sorry to add to the torture. We will announce the Demo as soon as we hear it’s ready to go. I promise.

+ Army_of_Lefty on April 27th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

Ah yes something i forgot to mention Chuck is that if u ever wanna race it up just add me or even message would be fine.. that is unless ur friendlist is full which is completly understandable cause… well ur Chuck Lacson with too many fans to offer. just let me know

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

Ha! Once things settle down after launch and I can just relax and just race, I might take you up on the offer. :)

+ NeoGuardian86 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

can we expect to see Sucker Punch and Insomniac bring their Cole McGrath/Sly Cooper, and Chimera over as well?

idk… i’ve been sitting on the fence for a long time now.. but the more i see it the more i’m interested.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

I hope so! :)

Glad you are interested. Hope you hop off the fence and join the Nation.

+ v1lla21 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

yo what up chuck.
i got a question.
so I decided to go pre-order my copy at gamestop.
but I didn’t pay the whole thing i only reserved a copy.
will this till get me the character it is supposed to come with and the mystery pack or do i still have to pay the whole game off.?
either way i’m siked for this game and can’t wait to get my hands on it.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

Congrats for being the first “What up Chuck” of the day and for your pre-order!

While I can’t speak for GameStop, if you pre-ordered the game you should be getting a voucher for Kratos and Kart, PLUS a mystery mod and Kart when you receive the game. The game will come with a Sackboy voucher packed inside as well.

For that to happen, you will have to pay in full at some point though. :)

Call or email GameStop to confirm to be sure.

+ rynofire on April 27th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Do any of the beta testers get an exclusive kart/mod?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

If they pre-order. :)

+ Ecko_25 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

Sackboy looks awesome! o:
I kinda wish some of the preorder exclusive mods would come with their own voices though, but its not a big deal.
@rynofire That’d be sweet if we did.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

You can always give them a voice if you have a PS3 headset and play online!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

I KNEW IT WAS A COWBOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

Nice catch.

+ GREEKBARON on April 27th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

Iv`e already pre-ordered!!!! This game looks amazing!!!!!!, but I have 1 question.

1. Iv`e seen desert races, wooden races, street races,farm races, some water here and there… etc…but would you be able to do a snow or ice race???? …. would we be able to make the terrain become ice or snow when we build up a track???? that would be so cool!!!! drifting and drafting on ice!!!!! any idea???

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:24 pm said:

Haven’t seen an Ice Theme yet, but I agree, that would be COOL! (See what I did there?)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

and hopefully you can answer this Chuck I got a code for the mnr demo on the psp in my email anyways i downloaded it and all i could do was make a basic track and test drive it once was this just a “preview” of the demo?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

You should be able to race on 2 full tracks. The Track creator lets you make a track and test drive it, but you can’t race it.

That would be giving too much away. :)

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Chuck, you have totally made my night/week/month :) Thanks for the reply with the great news!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

Happy to be of service.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

hey hopefully you respond once again but i dont even have qore was it just a mistake that i got it????????????????????

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

If people had registered on ModNation.com they got one. Also some lucky LBP or Racing fans got picked to get it as well.

+ Ashend on April 27th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

And now… I have the game pre-ordered.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

Thanks for the support!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

ok thanks anway i guess i’ll have to look again it looked like everything was locked out except track creator and then u had to make it all before you test drove because after that it was gone maybe either ufg or sony sent out a smaller one to random people after the qore one

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

and u answered my question as i ws writing it

+ SteamPunkGnome on April 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

So you haven’t made a group feature YET. Can we expect this in the future? Or is there some way to get a private ModSpot?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 28th, 2010 at 12:31 am said:

Too early to tell. We gotta launch first! :)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

ur right just checked andthere were 2 tracks in the bottom open

+ Noaxzl on April 27th, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

I totally knew that was gonna be Sackboy!

Anyways, I do hope you guys have DLC plans that include all the pre-order characters. This whole retailer-specific DLC program is irritating enough as it is (this applies to a lot of games, not just this one). Why can’t Sony ever put all of these pre-order items in a standard Special Edition, like everyone else?

+ Ecko_25 on April 27th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

Forgot to ask…
Does Most Skilled have a statue as well? I remember Top XP did in the beta, just wondering if they added one for skill(or if they share the statue o-o)

+ Woollymonster73 on April 27th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

can people upload the preorder characters?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 28th, 2010 at 12:32 am said:

don’t think so. Wouldn’t be exclusive if you could. :)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 7:31 pm said:

@woollymonster73 no it looks like you can’t mod them or do that but maybe with the mystery ones