Apr 27

ModNation Racers: Mystery Mods Revealed!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Chuck Lacson on Apr 27, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

I’d like to kick off this post with a brand new trailer. We’ve been talking a lot about the Mods you can get by pre-ordering ModNation Racers for PS3, but we’ve never seen them in action. So what do Ratchet, Clank, Kratos, and Nathan Drake look like when they finally take the wheel ModNation-style? Click on our latest trailer to find out!

ModNation Rackers gets Sackboy!

Sackboy officially joins the ModNation Racers crew with a sweet Cardboard roadster!

Please welcome the latest addition to the ModNation Racer family….SACKBOY! Congrats to everyone who guessed correctly.

ModNation Racers (Sackboy) ModNation Racers (Sackboy)

It’s only fitting that hero that started the Play, Create, Share movement joins the cast of ModNation. Now the question is, how do you get him?

Well, that part’s easy!

On May 25th, look out for specially stickered copies of ModNation Racers for PS3!

ModNation Racers with Sackboy bonus Mod ModNation Racers with Sackboy bonus Mod

Inside those copies you will get a PSN voucher good for the Sackboy Mod and his sweet Cardboard kart. Early pre-ordered copies will come with a packed-in Sackboy voucher. This offer is valid only while supplies last, so you’ve gotta be quick!

If you pre-order or have pre-ordered from a participating retailer (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, and GameCrazy) you not only get one of your favorite characters but you will get one of the four BONUS Mod and Kart packs below!

Each pack comes with an original Mod and Kart Body, PLUS you get special accessories that you can use in your own creations!

Which one will you get? Who knows? It’s the luck of the draw. Find out when you redeem your pre-order voucher code.

Till then, anyone got a favorite?

ModNation Racers: Mouse Trap ModNation Racers for PS3 (Mouse Trap)

Mouse Trap
Ready to catch his next meal, this clever cat speeds around a big wedge of cheese to lure in his next meal.

Mod Accessories: Feline Ears, Cat Eyes, and Claws
Kart Accessories: Cheese Wheel and Cat Toy Ornaments

ModNation Racers: Lil Tinker ModNation Racers (Lil Tinker)

Lil Tinker
Some kids were just born to race. Sporting a homemade Soap Box Racer and X-Ray Specs, this little rascal is ready to go.

Mod Accessories: X-Ray Glasses and Pot Helmet
Kart Accessories: Nail ornament and Trash Steering Wheel

ModNation Racers: Cowboy ModNation Racers (Cowboy)

MOO-ve over! There’s a new sheriff in town. If you don’t get out of his way, his truck will mow you into hamburger!

Mod Accessories: Cowboy Hat, Straw, and Chaps
Kart Accessories: Saddle Seat and Rope Steering Wheel

ModNation Racers: Woody ModNation Racers for PS3 (Woody)

You don’t have to watch Caddyshack to know you don’t mess with this gopher and his souped up Golf Kart. Whether on the fairway or on the race track, this guy likes to “drive”!

Mod Accessories: Golf Hat, Gopher Nose, Argyle Sweater Vest
Kart Accessories: Golf Kart Seat

+ ndw4 on April 29th, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

Yo Chuck, will there be a demo? I know everyone keeps asking, but I would like to know. Oh yeah, I preordered the game today. It’s gonna be sick!

+ mad_piper on April 29th, 2010 at 9:09 pm said:

Pre-ordered, can’t wait for it to show up at my doorstep! Currently enjoying the psp demo, but its pretty restrictive compared to the awesome beta.

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on April 30th, 2010 at 8:43 am said:

@135 ndw4, he confirmed in a couple of earlier replies that a PS3 demo is coming but he doesn’t know when yet.

+ ndw4 on April 30th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

@137-TH3_Hammer_29, Okay I didn’t that. Thanks for telling me.

+ skyreno on April 30th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

No helgasht mod >> i hope you guys can talk to them so
Helgasht to join race

+ skyreno on April 30th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

here good question when demo comes……>> the tracks we created in demo is it going be in game when launch ??

+ ArtOfWar12 on April 30th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

Do Ratchet and Clank come with karts or do you have to make them yourself?

+ pikeepikee on May 1st, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

I live in another country and I’ve preordered Modnation already, which skins do I get.
I don’t have a Bestbuy or Gamestop

+ Solar_Panel on May 1st, 2010 at 9:58 pm said:

if you pre-order at gamestop what mod package do you get Chuck???

+ Solar_Panel on May 1st, 2010 at 10:03 pm said:

How many codes can you reedem for the game like 5 or unlimited?

+ darian575 on May 1st, 2010 at 11:20 pm said:

Say, will we be able to customize Kratos and the lot of exclusive characters? Will we e able to use thier parts (like his eyes and such) for other mods? Can we customize the karts? Czn we use the kart parts for other karts? And, finally, I’d like to use the “LittleBigPlanet” sticker on Sackboy’s kart on my own. Will I be able to? Sorry for the slew of questions, but I’d really like to know for sure! But even if you don’t answer, I’m still 100% sure I’m buying this game. It will be the 2nd best game EVER! (#1 is LittleBigPlanet, sorry.) :P

+ Mister_Icee on May 2nd, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

@Solar_Panel It looks like Mouse Trap to me.

+ coolasia on May 2nd, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Hey, Chuck! I’ve gotta great comment for you about this! This game will be the next playstation OBSESSION!!! This is like the mix of Gran Turismo and Little Big Planet into a great combination! Racing and creating! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!! WISH THERE WAS A TIME MACHINE TO TRAVEL TO MAY 25!!!!!!!!

+ Skunk616 on May 2nd, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

PRE-ORDERED!!!! I can’t wait XD Kratos, Sackboy and random character :P On top of those awesome goodies my girlfriend is gettin an awesome Anniversery present and I’m gettin more Kratos :P Sony is so the best company EVER!

+ Navani456 on May 2nd, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

I thought the preorders came with their own karts, like Ratchet gets the Hovercraft or something. Am I wrong? And I (like at least one other person mentioned) feel like they should have a battle mode like Twisted Metal or some sort of demolition derby! That would be the best DLC ever.

Pre-ordered and anxiously waiting =)

+ Elvick_ on May 2nd, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

Woody is too cute. I just preordered. :3

+ Broge_Soede on May 10th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I have a problem, I am going on vacation and will be 300 miles away from my PS3 on May 25th. What is going to happen to my pre-order? Will I still be able to redeem it? I would be really upset if since I pre-ordered this around Christmas and don’t get my share of the bonus mods. What is going to happen to that?

+ Broge_Soede on May 10th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

My mistake, I see now that it expires 1 year after the release date. Thus giving me plenty of time.

+ Matimooo on May 15th, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

I preordered my copy from Amazon yesterday, will I still get Sackboy?

+ chiffmonkey on May 19th, 2010 at 1:31 am said:

Preorder stuff from different shops is nothing but nasty. It means its impossible to buy the complete game.

But anyway what retailers have what characters in the UK?

+ MrJak- on May 19th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

I’m thinking of pre-ordering it but will the karts be customisable? like will you be able to get Kratos’s golden skull.. thing on his kart?

that would be so cool to have on a kart.

+ shane_1105 on May 19th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

let me get this straight…. if you preorder from amazon ratchet and clank will just appear on the game or will i recieve a code. I hope i don’t sound stupid…..

+ justino99 on May 20th, 2010 at 6:13 pm said:

when you get the game inside the box will be a voucher with a code that you have to put in for it to unlock in the game

+ sdmf4ever on May 21st, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

I have my copy pre-ordered at Gamestop, therefore I will be getting the Kratos costume; however, is there any other way to get the additional costumes without pre-ordering from Amazon or Best Buy? Will they be available for purchase or download on release day? Me hopes so…………..

+ quickfire123 on May 21st, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

I really need you help chuck i want the cat one badly but idk which one im getting. When i went to gamestop they showed me the the cards to the exclusive and i saw the rascal kart in sithlout with orange will it show the sithlout of the cat one or the gopher like for the rascal. Plus its no fair i want the cat one bad, but i cant trade cause idk what i have or they have. Are the codes reusable.

+ IronSkullKid99 on May 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Can you use the DLC’s from LBP to customize Sackboy in ModNation Racers?

+ RACROX on May 23rd, 2010 at 1:00 am said:

lol, i was soooo wanting ratchet n clank n sackboy so badly, i ordered it on may 19th, i live in canada, it comes out on may 25th, yeah… but a lot of people have been saying “I HOPE THE PRE-ORDER CHARACTERS WITH BE RELEASED ON DLC”…. well personally, i dont, cuz since i live in Canada, i technically cant get MNR delivered to me from Amazon.com but lucky 4 me, I have an uncle in Florida, it cost me $15 extra dollars just to pre-order! So, if i find out, that i cuda just got em off psn, im gonna be pissed!!!

+ quickfire123 on May 23rd, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

That happend with mag and everyone was yelling

+ GREEKBARON on April 27th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

Iv`e already pre-ordered!!!! This game looks amazing!!!!!!, but I have 1 question.

1. Iv`e seen desert races, wooden races, street races,farm races, some water here and there… etc…but would you be able to do a snow or ice race???? …. would we be able to make the terrain become ice or snow when we build up a track???? that would be so cool!!!! drifting and drafting on ice!!!!! any idea???

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:24 pm said:

Haven’t seen an Ice Theme yet, but I agree, that would be COOL! (See what I did there?)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

I KNEW IT WAS A COWBOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

Nice catch.

+ rynofire on April 27th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Do any of the beta testers get an exclusive kart/mod?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

If they pre-order. :)

+ Ecko_25 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

Sackboy looks awesome! o:
I kinda wish some of the preorder exclusive mods would come with their own voices though, but its not a big deal.
@rynofire That’d be sweet if we did.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

You can always give them a voice if you have a PS3 headset and play online!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

and hopefully you can answer this Chuck I got a code for the mnr demo on the psp in my email anyways i downloaded it and all i could do was make a basic track and test drive it once was this just a “preview” of the demo?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

You should be able to race on 2 full tracks. The Track creator lets you make a track and test drive it, but you can’t race it.

That would be giving too much away. :)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

hey hopefully you respond once again but i dont even have qore was it just a mistake that i got it????????????????????

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

If people had registered on ModNation.com they got one. Also some lucky LBP or Racing fans got picked to get it as well.

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Chuck, you have totally made my night/week/month :) Thanks for the reply with the great news!

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

Happy to be of service.

+ v1lla21 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

yo what up chuck.
i got a question.
so I decided to go pre-order my copy at gamestop.
but I didn’t pay the whole thing i only reserved a copy.
will this till get me the character it is supposed to come with and the mystery pack or do i still have to pay the whole game off.?
either way i’m siked for this game and can’t wait to get my hands on it.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

Congrats for being the first “What up Chuck” of the day and for your pre-order!

While I can’t speak for GameStop, if you pre-ordered the game you should be getting a voucher for Kratos and Kart, PLUS a mystery mod and Kart when you receive the game. The game will come with a Sackboy voucher packed inside as well.

For that to happen, you will have to pay in full at some point though. :)

Call or email GameStop to confirm to be sure.

+ halebound00 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

Chuck….I was already gonna buy this for my wife and daughter so I can smoke them like I do in Rag Doll Kung Fu, but now I am gonna make sure all my friends pick it up just because you have been so cool at replying to people. Way to build up the goodwill with the fans. Other devs should take note.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Thanks halebound00! I really appreciate it. This is one of the perks of the job. Seeing how excited folks are getting and interfacing with them. Hope you and your family and friends have a blast with the game once it comes out! :)

+ ndw4 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Sackboy looks really creepy.

+ Permafry_42 on April 27th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

Is LittleBig Planet going to get a Modnation Racers Map/costume Pack? Please consider this if you aren’t planning on it. also, if you could give some exclusive DLC to Qore members(or if not exclusive then the preorder bonuses) when the games come out? that would be awesome since subscribed to Qore just to get in the ModNation Racers Beta.

btw I agree with 49; you ARE playing dirty with us by taunting us with the prospect of playing as Sackboy. And like him i plan to preorder tonight.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

If you a Qore subscriber you already got early access to the MNR PSP Demo! Not a bad perk at all. :)

As for an LBP Costume pack, be sure to make that comment on this weeks Sack-it-to-Me post. Mark will be sure to take down that request.

+ ajritchie on April 27th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

The level shown in the vid looks like Sucker Punch’s Empire City level. I can’t wait to race that track.

As much as I appreciate all the support you’re throwing behind MNR, it almost adds too much torture to the wait. Please, please, please can we have a demo soon? We were able to play the God of War III demo more than a month in advance. I want to play now. No other game is giving me the racing fix I crave.

Demo now?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

Ha! Sorry to add to the torture. We will announce the Demo as soon as we hear it’s ready to go. I promise.

+ Army_of_Lefty on April 27th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

Ah yes something i forgot to mention Chuck is that if u ever wanna race it up just add me or even message would be fine.. that is unless ur friendlist is full which is completly understandable cause… well ur Chuck Lacson with too many fans to offer. just let me know

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

Ha! Once things settle down after launch and I can just relax and just race, I might take you up on the offer. :)

+ NeoGuardian86 on April 27th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

can we expect to see Sucker Punch and Insomniac bring their Cole McGrath/Sly Cooper, and Chimera over as well?

idk… i’ve been sitting on the fence for a long time now.. but the more i see it the more i’m interested.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

I hope so! :)

Glad you are interested. Hope you hop off the fence and join the Nation.

+ Ashend on April 27th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

And now… I have the game pre-ordered.

+ Chuck Lacson on April 27th, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

Thanks for the support!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

and u answered my question as i ws writing it

+ SteamPunkGnome on April 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

So you haven’t made a group feature YET. Can we expect this in the future? Or is there some way to get a private ModSpot?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 28th, 2010 at 12:31 am said:

Too early to tell. We gotta launch first! :)

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

ur right just checked andthere were 2 tracks in the bottom open

+ Noaxzl on April 27th, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

I totally knew that was gonna be Sackboy!

Anyways, I do hope you guys have DLC plans that include all the pre-order characters. This whole retailer-specific DLC program is irritating enough as it is (this applies to a lot of games, not just this one). Why can’t Sony ever put all of these pre-order items in a standard Special Edition, like everyone else?

+ SUPERGAMER247 on April 27th, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

ok thanks anway i guess i’ll have to look again it looked like everything was locked out except track creator and then u had to make it all before you test drove because after that it was gone maybe either ufg or sony sent out a smaller one to random people after the qore one

+ Ecko_25 on April 27th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

Forgot to ask…
Does Most Skilled have a statue as well? I remember Top XP did in the beta, just wondering if they added one for skill(or if they share the statue o-o)

+ Woollymonster73 on April 27th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

can people upload the preorder characters?

+ Chuck Lacson on April 28th, 2010 at 12:32 am said:

don’t think so. Wouldn’t be exclusive if you could. :)