PS4-The Order

Persona 3 Portable Pre-order Bonus Revealed

Aram Jabbari's Avatar + Posted by Aram Jabbari on Apr 28, 2010 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

People of the Blog of PlayStation,

The purpose of this post is two-fold:

1. We wish to remind you of and/or inform you of the existence of our upcoming RPG epic, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable for the PSP.
  2. We would like to bring to your attention the below pre-order bonus for Persona 3 Portable (only at participating retailers, only while supplies last)

Persona 3 Portable: Pre-order bonus (Junpei cap)

“What is it?” you ask? Why, it’s a lovely collectible (and wearable, fortunately) cap modeled after the one worn by popular character Junpei Iori, Gekkoukan High School’s bantering, jabbering class clown.

Persona 3 Portable: Pre-order bonus (Junpei cap)

Not familiar with him? Or the game, perhaps? That’s where this post comes in.

SMT: Persona 3 Portable is the handheld version of one of the highest-rated, meatiest RPGs of all time. “What’s so special about it?” you ask as you click around multiple tabs in your web browser. Persona 3’s unique dichotomy of social sim and dungeon crawling elements shakes the genre to its core, offering a constantly refreshing blend of character development, sharp writing, a powerful narrative, and ultra fast-paced turn-based combat in the many varying levels of Tartarus.

Persona 3 Portable for PSP

Let’s face this enemy! (get it?)

In an interesting twist, the bonds you share with your friends are the source of your strength in battle. As your relationships, called “Social Links,” are increased and ultimately maxed out, you will unlock new abilities and grow much stronger when engaged in combat. The game is full of options in terms of whom you can befriend and/or choose to spend your time with, meaning that maxing out all your social links becomes a very tough, very satisfying challenge. The game is full of contrasts, which is most apparent in the disparity between the action of Tartarus versus the joys of spending time with friends.

The PSP system release of P3P offers the most refined, improved version of the game to date. In addition to new content, functionality and features, like faster load times, one-button menu shortcuts, streamlined team equipment changes, and part-time jobs, P3P also adds a new playable female protagonist.

Persona 3 Portable for PSP

Pretty in pink.

Playing through the game as this new character, series fans will notice a number of new and different dialogue (and since the original voice cast is intact, they’ll all sound exactly as they should). Other content additions include new social links, special events, and new romantic opportunities.

Persona 3 Portable for PSP

Look out, ladies/gentlemen! (depending on your choice of character, of course)

Already spent dozens of hours in the world of Persona 3? Now you’ve got reason to dive back in and experience it all over again.

And now you’ve got a reason to pre-order it, too. The Junpei Baseball Cap pre-order bonus promotion is exclusive to GameStop/EB Games (in stores and online in North America and Canada), Amazon.com, and Amazon.ca, and only while supplies last, so reserve your copy (and your collectible hat) today!

For more info, visit atlus.com/p3p, and be sure to look for SMT: Persona 3 Portable to land in stores and on the PlayStation Store on July 6th, 2010, exclusively for the PSP.

PAGE 1 2

+ reson8er on April 28th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Simply awesome, consider it reordered! Thanks AA!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

+ reson8er on April 28th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

*preordered

+ OnesOwnGrief on April 28th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Seriously? Junpei’s hat? To bad I have a PSPgo though most of the bonuses outside of Persona Portable were not worth mention.

+ DNAgent on April 28th, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

I’ve already played through Persona 3: FES. I think I am done with the game now.

+ Tyrsis on April 28th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

Well lookie here, you’re actually putting it on the PlayStation Store as well!

*dusts dirt off his PSPGO*

+ jorge197 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

wow looks good!! i thought it was going to look, not that good!!! but good job

+ socksandshoes22 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

Pre ordered earlier today. I don’t wear hats, but I like collectibles!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

Thank you very much for pre-ordering!

+ Azure_Flame_Kite on April 28th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

Me wants hat.

+ swaggteam-1 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

man i Hope they get infamous for psp!!!!!

+ mywhitenoise on April 28th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

I can’t believe you got Tiger Woods to model your promotional hat!

+ brennan_uga on April 28th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

this is going to be a great game. Have not played the original but have read lots of good reviews. I love SMT: Digital Devil Saga and Persona PSP, they are so addictive! If you like deep dungeon crawlers and strategy RPGs you will enjoy this…going to preorder!

+ jayyy91 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

@mywhitenoise

I was thinking the same thing too lol

+ Dengarde on April 28th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

I’m a sucker for nerdy pre-order bonuses. I’ll pre-order it tomorrow, since this hat is freaking AWESOME to me.

Also, I hope to GOD that Junpei becomes a social link as the Female protagonist. I don’t care if I’m a dude, I’d make him my boyfriend in an instant.

+ emiru69 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

I have a dumb doubt, I’m kind of confused between Shin Megami Tensei and the Persona saga… Is this like the one that came on the PSP? because that battles every 3 steps and the first person kind of turned me off. Either way I have to say the cap is really nice!!!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

emiru69,

Persona is actually a sub-series of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, meaning that while many of the same concepts, mechanics, and demons appear in the titles, there are also some significant differences in terms of general theme/design.

Moreover, starting with Persona 3, the Persona games have changed a great deal, introducing social sim elements and a calendar progression of time. Really, Persona 3 (and 4, for that matter), are in many ways nothing like their predecessors, and it’s one of the reasons Persona 3 helped the games (and the franchise as a whole) break out, so to speak.

If you picked up SMT: Persona and were a little turned off by the frequency of the combat or the first-person perspective (it is a decidedly more retro, more hardcore experience), I can almost guarantee you that your experience with Persona 3 Portable will have close to nothing in common with that.

Hope that helps!

+ yukiboy23 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

that hat looks awsome

+ Blkant on April 28th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

After playing Persona 3 on my PS2, and enjoying it very much, I figured the psp version wouldn’t be worth it honestly just to play it all over again on a smaller screen. However, you are tempting me very much with that hat… Evil…

However, if there is to never be a PS3 version, idk… Is there any plans for the PS3 any more for any Atlus RPG’s? So quiet…

Also, why are you encouraging “FIRST”? O_o

+ OnesOwnGrief on April 28th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Any way we can get this cheaper as a digital download? Some of us don’t like having to pay the same price as the UMD when we aren’t even able to get the UMD Version (US PSPgo Owners).

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

OnesOwnGrief,

At this time (and most likely also at release), both versions (retail and PSN) will be at the same price of $39.99. A number of factors go into the pricing, and while I apologize for your frustration, hopefully future trends will shift more towards your satisfaction.

+ mauaus on April 28th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

about damn time, something to feed my old dusty GO

+ Trevelyan on April 28th, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

Beyond awesome. You rock, Atlus. Pre-ordered this morning!

+ Gazer13 on April 28th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Yay a date I can finally pre-order it :D Question though: will there be a limited edition like Persona for the PSP, that includes the soundtrack? I love the soundtracks in Persona and that they came with P4 & the remade P1 for PSP. I definitely wouldn’t mind paying extra for it to come with the game.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Gazer13,

At this time, there are no limited or special edition versions of the game planned.. Probably because the hat is both limited and special.

ZING!

+ megaplushie on April 28th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

@Aram Jabbari

Thanks for the heads-up! I couldn’t help but read this post in your voice because it is full of win. It makes me want to go listen to the Game Critics podcast that you were a guest on last year again. :D

+ the_lone_wolf_42 on April 28th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

This game looks pretty interesting. I have never heard of this franchise before. I have a few questions:
Will there be a PS3 version of the game? I don’t own a PSP.
Whats the ESRB rating?
The graphics in pic #5 look amazing, it is like that throughout the whole game?

+ Zezzler on April 28th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Junpei is sooo awesome! that hat alone just persuaded me that extra bit to get P3P! I already have P3F, so now i am goin to have this!

I have 2 questions:
1) with P3P have the Journey and the Answer from P3F? or just the one?

2) Besides Journey & Answer, is there going to be any additional story?

Thanks Atlus! lookin forward to the Next Persona in the series (PS3 hopefully :P )

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

Zezzler,

Fortunately, your question is an easy one to answer. Expect to find just about all of the enhancements and extras from the FES expansion in Persona 3 Portable, but not the actual “Answer” content itself.

Thanks for the question!

+ EatDeath on April 28th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

Awesome choice of preorder items. The item definitely made me preorder the game immediately, lol.

I cant wait for the next video of the game as well.

+ denpanosekai on April 28th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

Is the hat comfort-fit?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

denpanosekai,

No, it is a traditional strap/buckle setup in the back, but internal tests at Atlus have revealed it makes everyone’s head look better, even the people who strongly contend they never look good in hats.

So, unless your head looks as though it was constructed in a government lab from pieces of lesser heads, making all other heads look like those of infants (i.e. your head is really, really large), you should be perfectly comfortable (and quite cool-looking) wearing the Junpei cap.

+ Exypher on April 28th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

I’d hear this hat. Looks casual and fits my style of clothing. Needless to say, especially as a huge fan of the Persona, I’m pre-ordering first thing tomorrow.

Oh the things I’d do to have Persona on PS3.

+ Exypher on April 28th, 2010 at 5:15 pm said:

Wear* …The hell?

+ Enigma777 on April 28th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

It sucks that people who buy the PSN version can’t get cool stuff like this… At least Gran Turismo gave us a free car for buying it on day on.. I’d love to see more games do that.

+ Rinaldus91 on April 28th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

Jabbari comments “FIRST” on number one’s comment.
I laugh wholeheartedly.

+ RDespair on April 28th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

$40 for the PSN version? Bleh. Looks like me and my PSP Go will pass. Shame since I liked FES (which was only $30 BTW).

+ juujigai on April 28th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

I always enjoy your posts Aram, your humor and light hearted nature make your comments and posts fun to read. I’m sure you aren’t able to comment on anything at this time, but I’m really, really, really hoping for a Persona 4 Portable, as Persona 4 is my favorite in the series.

I do have a more tangible question if you don’t mind. I was curious if there would be any option to change the spoken language to Japanese? I played Persona 4 almost completely in Japanese and when I played a friend’s American copy I really couldn’t get behind a lot of the voice acting. I know Atlus typically does single language tracks, but I just thought I asked. Also, will the PSN release coincide with the UMD release or will we have to wait?

Either way I’ll be getting this for my PSPGo at launch. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the American release ever since I heard Atlus decided to do one. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

juujigai,

Thank you for the kind words.

As for your question, the inclusion of the original Japanese VO track is something we explore on a case-by-case basis. When possible, we certainly try our best (e.g. Odin Sphere, the popular PS2 action RPG, boasted dual VO tracks).

We know it’s something people appreciate.

Thanks for the question.

+ XreptarX on April 28th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

I am seriously considering buying a PSP just for this game. P3 on the PS2 is one of my personal favorite games and having it on the go with added features is just too good to pass up. Also, the hat is pure win.

+ ndw4 on April 28th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

Woah, for a sec I thought that was Tiger Woods with the hat on.

+ juujigai on April 28th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

@ndw4

lol, you too? I was like “What does Tiger Woods have to do with Persona….?”

@Aram, thank you for the reply!

+ midnightshade on April 28th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

YES!!! I can’t wait for this! And 3d dot heroes, and heyx force. I just got into Persona last year, and i stopped playing P3fes when this was announced. I have been playing other atlus games though like Devil summoner 2 (make a 3rd game on PS3 or PSP , PLEASE!!! ), SMT Strange Journey/dev. survivor and Demon souls. I can’t wait for this game.

You guys are the best dev in the industry for rpg nuts.. Really! Nowhere else can I get innovative dungeon crawlers…(without using a dos emulator). SMT games are great and I love the main series and PErsona line. Please make a Persona 5 for the PS3!!!

+ VofEscaflowne on April 28th, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

I guess I’ll be the third that thought that was Tiger Woods… haha…

It would be neat if pre-order bonuses could be offered to people with a PSP go. Would this be possible in the future? To perhaps offer limited pre-order bonuses on online downloads? The first 10,000 to pre-order for example could have received the hat.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on April 28th, 2010 at 6:27 pm said:

VofEscaflowne,

We’re certainly aware that bonus items for retail copies leave digital customers out of the loop and we’re constantly working to figure out how we can reward ALL of our customers for their support, but at present the infrastructure doesn’t seem to be there to allow an offer like this to be mirrored.

Still, we like spoiling our fans, so we’ll continue to explore options.

Thanks for the feedback.

+ Tr3p1dat10n on April 28th, 2010 at 6:03 pm said:

I have a really large head, no hat for me =(

+ juujigai on April 28th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

@VofEscaflowne

I agree, I’ve been thinking about that for some time. Those of us that do digital purchases get hosed on things like the soundtrack CD’s unless we buy two copies of every game that has a nice bonus.

+ Berae on April 28th, 2010 at 6:15 pm said:

Nice, cant wait for 3d dot game heroes too

oh and tell From software to make a demons souls 2 :)

+ VXLbeast on April 28th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

@Berae: Agreed on both accounts. I can’t wait for 3D dot, although the first demon’s souls will keep me busy for a time to come.

+ VXLbeast on April 28th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

Persona 3 is the only reason I am buying a PSP…well that and Disgaea.

+ jackthemayor on April 28th, 2010 at 6:57 pm said:

Well i have a fat head so we shall see if it fits. If not it can collect dust. I would have preferred the soundtrack so then I wouldn’t have to hunt it down. Can you offer us any news on Persona 5 other than the fact that it was announced?

+ gdogg666 on April 28th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

well any chance for free psn codes for it for thoses who might be broke around the time it comes out? pretty plz :D btw persona rules i have the psp one and persona 3

+ VofEscaflowne on April 28th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

Thanks for the reply Aram, but I’m just curious about the current infrastructure not allowing you to reward digital customers. Do you mean on Sony’s side of things or simply Atlus not being able to manage such info to mail out actual physical rewards? For one, LittleBigPlanet PSP had pre-order bonuses for both in-store and digital download purchases. On the download side of things, it was offered for those who purchased the game within a one week time period after release. Maybe something similar could be applied in the future?

+ Hooligantuan on April 28th, 2010 at 7:51 pm said:

That game is one of the most interesting titles I played on the PS2. The characters were great, the art was well considered and visually interesting, the story was intriguing, the gameplay engaging, the music catchy and memorable…

And Aigis!

So is this the FES version of Persona 3 or the original?

+ krae_man on April 28th, 2010 at 8:35 pm said:

I came here to ask about Download pricing.

Dissappointed to here that “digital has to be the same price as retail” policy that has been killing PSP download sales is STILL in effect.

Not to mention that insane $40 price point in the first place(that is still often bumped up to $50 in Canada) sticking around.

Its so frustrating being a PSP Go owner and not buying anything because everyone is refusing to change the pricing structure. How much longer do I have to not buy your stuffs before you wake up change your pricing stratagy?

+ Hooligantuan on April 28th, 2010 at 8:59 pm said:

That really is a valid concern.

Digital transfer means the publisher saves on the production and transfer of a physical software unit, the purchaser foregoes any interest in potential aftermarket collectibility, the purchaser foregoes the tactile experience of handling the purchased product and perusing its printed materials, and the purchaser foregoes the safety of having that software stored in a physical medium apart from the gaming hardware.

While I understand that the value of the commodity is the intellectual property of the software rather than its mode of transmission, that absolutely does not mean that the fully produced and published, packaged, and shipped physical medium for the software is worth the same as the essentially infinitely reproducible and exceptionally inexpensive digital transfer of that same software.

That’s gotta be worth at least a few bucks off, you guys. :D

+ Jeigh on April 28th, 2010 at 9:07 pm said:

Bah. Junpei was a loud-mouthed punk. So whiny and ingenuous. Now Yukari…

I’m sorry I think I was saying something, but….

What?

+ Sekoku on April 28th, 2010 at 9:10 pm said:

… Interesting. But I already played Persona 3: FES to completion.

Maybe if you gave the Junpei hat to pre-orders/purchasers of the PSN version (through a code at Gamestop or something? *shrug*) I’d bite. But I’m not planning to get a UMD ever again if possible.

+ Jeigh on April 28th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

And while I do not have a PSPGo, I can relate and fully support their request for a cheaper launch price. Hooligantuan (45) explains it very well: just read his post again, but imagine my name and this post’s number instead of his.

PAGE 1 2