PS4-Infamous

Incoming: Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package DLC Hits PSN Tomorrow

Robert Bowling's Avatar + Posted by Robert Bowling on May 03, 2010 // Creative Strategist, Infinity Ward

Tomorrow, May 4th, will be an onslaught of Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer goodness on the PlayStation Network!

First and foremost, the first downloadable content for Modern Warfare 2 — The Stimulus Package — will hit the PSN Store for $14.99 and bring with it five new maps to the multiplayer of MW2. Included in those five new maps are two classic Call of Duty 4 maps that we all know and love, and three completely new locations that offer a variety of unique locations for your favorite gametypes. The Stimulus Package includes:

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package for PS3

Bailout – An American apartment complex that is amazing for objective gametypes, especially Capture the Flag, but one of those maps that works well regardless of what type of game you’re playing it on. Its long sightlines — like sniping from a blown-out wall of a second-story apartment suite — give it some nice spots for long-range sniping but also has plenty of flanking routes through the bullet-riddled gym, hallways, lobbies, and interconnecting units.

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package for PS3

Salvage – A snowy junkyard covered in debris, crushed cars, and my favorite aspect — no place to hide (well, maybe one, but hiding in the dog house isn’t going to win you the game). This aspect of beautiful but simplistic design is what makes Salvage my new favorite map for Hardcore Team Deathmatch; it forces you to rely on your speed, accuracy, and skill. It’s all about offensive, sorry campers! This map is about getting in and STAYING in the fight.

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package for PS3

Storm – A rainy warehouse district on the outskirts of a looming thunderstorm with booming lightning and rolling thunder. A massive interconnected warehouse with overhead walkways and plenty of machinery for cover makes this great for big team games. With plenty of surrounding outdoors areas for flanking or cutting through the connected buildings, this is a map that benefits from two teams working together to control their area and lock down domination points. This map has a great atmosphere and always results in some insane HQ games.

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package for PS3

Crash – A war-torn urban environment with a crashed helicopter surrounded by several great vantage points. Whether you’re taking pop shots from the three-story building overlooking the map, or covering the center objective point from the second story of the appropriately named “blue room” windows, Crash is the first fan-favorite map to make a return from Call of Duty 4, and is one those multiplayer locations that is perfectly balanced regardless of the gametype you throw on it. Team Deathmatch is king on Crash for me personally and we’ve maintained every cover, sniper vantage, and perfect ‘nade spot you’ve grown to love, but have also filled the map out with even more detail.

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package for PS3

Overgrown – A massive and open village divided down the center by a dried-up creekbed. Overgrown is a snipers paradise with its high grass, super-long sightlines, and earns its cred as one of our largest multiplayer maps. It’s back by popular demand from the community, and was one of my personal favorite maps of all time from Call of Duty 4. It’s been updated with some new lightning and atmospheric changes, yet maintains its trademark flow and appeal for big team games.

When you jump online to enjoy the new maps, you’re also going to be greeted with a few new additions to the playlists structure in multiplayer. You’ll notice two new playlists added to the bottom of the list: Stimulus & Stimulus Hardcore. These two playlists will allow you to play your favorite gametypes on ONLY the new maps. That way you get to experience them as much as you like.

Stimulus – This playlist will include all gametypes for 8-12 players and rotating through ONLY the new Stimulus Maps.

Stimulus Hardcore – This playlist will include Hardcore Ricochet Team Deathmatch, Hardcore Ricochet HQ Pro, Hardcore Ricochet Search and Destroy for 8-12 players and rotating through ONLY the new Stimulus Maps.

While these two playlists are reserved for those who download The Stimulus Package, the same day we’ll also be introducing an all new playlist for ALL Modern Warfare 2 players.

Team Tactical – 6-8 Players playing small team based games with Team Deathmatch, Domination, Capture the Flag, and Demolition. (First Person viewpoint)

This playlist is being added by HUGE demand from the community on our forums, Twitter, and other messages you’ve sent in to us; in addition to another requested change of adding the Ranger maps (Terminal, Skidrow, Highrise, Invasion) to the HC HQ Pro playlist.

When I said onslaught, I MEANT onslaught!

That’s not even all. When all these updates hit tomorrow on May 4th, we’ll also be flipping the Double XP switch for the first time, ON ALL PLAYLISTS, FOR ALL PLAYERS! So when you jump online you’ll be earning twice as many XP for your kills and objectives to help you finish off that Prestige you’ve been working on or, for all you level 70s, the deciding factor to take the leap into the next Prestige.

Tomorrow is all about adding even more mileage to your Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, giving you all new locations to play, new playlists to play them on, and Double XP to make it all that much sweeter. I look forward to seeing all of you online!

You can follow official Modern Warfare 2 updates and news on Twitter by following @fourzerotwo.

4,061 Comments   74 Replies

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 82

+ krh60 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

i won’t pay $15 maybe $5

+ Arion87 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

How long will the double XP last? Does it also increase your match bonus? Is it applicable to all regions?

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

Double XP will last all week, until Monday the 10th and applies to all regions once they receive the title update / playlist update.

The Double XP applies to kills and objectives, not match bonus or challenges.

+ TurismoM3 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Nice to hear from you Robert. I’m almost about the Prestige for the second time. I’m not really sure if I will again, the payoff is just not there. It would of been nice to get an extra custom slot at every Prestige. I don’t understand why people are so negative when it comes to this game. Truly the best FPS ever made, the sales numbers speak for themselves.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

Hey!

Actually, when you prestige, you do earn an extra Custom Class slot each time (up to 10 total custom create a class slots). So it’s a nice pay off if you’re someone who likes a lot of options or has a class per gametype or mode. I personally like to have a core and hardcore version for each class.

+ jorge197 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Every one nedds to stop bit**ing about how $15 is to much!!! Get a JOB then you dont have to bit** about,that its to much. Anyways, happy about the double xp. good idea on bring 2 old maps!! GOOD JOB

+ martimusprime on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Wow, how is 15 bucks for five maps too much? That’s 3 dollars per map, figure in the number of times you are going to play on those maps and the price is miniscule. As an unemployed college student with a wife and child, you don’t have to tell me how tight money is nowadays, but come on people you have to take into consideration the amount of time you will use this product. Nothing wrong with being cheap, I’m the king of used games and hand-me-downs, but you have to acknowledge a good deal when you see one. And the two MW1 maps work out great for me, since I played the first one, but never owned it, so now I don’t have to go buy the entire game to enjoy them. Thanks IW.

+ BananaFish on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Thank Sony that MAG is getting DLC maps for FREE…just like back in the gool’ole PC days. Sigh. I heart MAG. I loath MW2. Loath you very much Activision!

+ Tomski_1991 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

While the price may seem a bit hefty at first glance, I personally feel I will be getting my money’s worth out of it.

How long will the Double XP be up for?
(I’m in the UK by the way so I shall be downloading this on the 5th)

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

See you online.

Double XP will start on the 5th for you (when the maps release in the UK) and will be available in all Playlists for a week.

+ toutski on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

All the maps are new to me so I’m in. Have you any UK pricing yet? How long will the double XP last? I might prestige again!!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

I believe European pricing is €13.99/£10.99 respectively.

You’ve got a week for Double XP, so you could probably prestige once or twice within that time.

+ adventfire on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

lol notice how Bowling ONLY responded to non negitive comments. Way to stick up for your company and it’s decisions. Just remember a consumer will only allow themselves to get screwed over a certain number of times (yeah that’s unfortunate fact of life) before they say, hey we don’t have to support you! and go play some other games.

+ speefreak01 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

Hey Rob Bowling do you have a release time on the new maps cause I am anxious to get these maps tonight, off from work tonight so would love to download at midnight. What’s the word?

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

I don’t have an exact time, but it will be later than Midnight.

+ adventfire on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Actually I stand corrected (at least when I’m wrong I admit it) the first comment was about overpricing.

+ Stoffinator on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

I’m glad you released this at the same time on all the consoles, oh wait.

+ Joee94 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

When is the EU/UK release for these maps, and if the maps come out later will we still get the Double xp from tomorrow?

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

The Double XP starts with the update, so May 4th for NA and May 5th for everyone else. Even though Double XP will be enabled for ALL playlists, the playlist update happens with the title update / DLC, so it’s timed the same.

+ emiru69 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

@ Mobius_124
1) HAHAHA You are right, I didn’t realize those pictures where from the other console! EPIC FAIL!!! They didn’t bother on using the ps3 for the captures. I’m guessing if I search the word lazy in the dictionary I will see the logo of Activision!!!
2) Right now you can have 4 games from Pixel Junk (they have an special package since Thursday). so for 15 bucks you can have: Eden, Monsters and Shooter.

+ wimbernuts on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Unlike most of you, I’m getting 5 new maps (not 3) for $15. That’s only $3/map…and considering I’ll put in HOURS of time on each map I’d say it’s worth every penny.

+ thedongtea on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Robert,

Will we ever see fixes for the following:

Pavelow and Sentry Gun not counting towards your killstreak
M240, M9, MG4 silencers not working
Tactical Insertion boosting
FAL Red Dot Sight being off center
One Man Army unlimited noob tubes

Really looking forward to these new maps!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

Hey!

The Pavelow killstreak glitch will be fixed in the title update you download tomorrow. In addition it will include the ability to kick players from your Private Match lobbies, prevent “elevator” exploits, make tweaks to One Man Army, have a fix for XP hacks (also working on a leaderboard cleansing), as well as some matchmaking updates.

The others you mentioned are not in the update tomorrow but are being looked into.

+ A_GIANT_SMURF on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

When can we expect the DLC giveaway on twitter? And how many are you doing?

+ Bailers77 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Well, in the month that 360 has had it, I’ve instead played MAG, BC2, and other games. And now with Lead and Gold coming out on Tuesday as well, guess which one I’m spending my $15 on?

I feel bad for fourzerotwo. He’s got the toughest job in the industry right now. Regardless of my feelings for his employer, I wish him well and hope everything works out no matter what he does in the future.

+ Dr_Evil_Genius on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

@Robert Bowling: Is there any way to fix the clearly-screwy hit physics?

Shots that clearly miss get one-shot kills.

Shoot someone in the back 10 times and they turn around and stab you from 20FT away.

Stabbing someone in the face and nothing happens – until they knife and get kill credit.

Getting knifed with the killer’s back to you.

…and other weird and more-than-annoying occurrences…

One more thing: Any way to get rid of Tactical Insertion? I love the idea but in FFA matches, too many dudes are running to corners to Tact Insert and let the other guy kill them to get nukes. I have to leave too many games where dudes are straight-up cheating.

Please help!!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Hey Dr_evil_genius -

Tomorrow title update, that will release before the DLC, includes some matchmaking updates that will help you find more games more suited for your personal connection which will hopefully reduce your occurrences which sound lag-related.

As for FFA, there are no plans to remove TI from them at this point.

+ Kornkid52 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Thanks for comin to the Playstation Blog and updating us. You should stop by more often. IW has been having problems but you guys should start coming here more often
Will the new maps be playable in the 3rd person TeamTact.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Tomorrow the maps will have their own dedicated playlists (as outlined above), however once more people have downloaded them and there is a large community for both DLC and non-DLC players, we’ll add them to the rotation of ALL playlists (including 3rd person Team Tactical).

+ worldlib777 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

Do the new maps work for local 4 player split screen? or Just On-Line? Thank you.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

The DLC is available for all multiplayer modes, including Online public games, online private matches, or offline splitscreen.

+ Draicus on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Any news on Modern Warfare-related dynamic themes or avatars ever coming to the PSN?

+ superjunior76 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Will buy the DLC. The double XP will hopefully take me to rank 70 and that sought after AK-47.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:49 pm said:

You should definitely be able to reach Rank 70 (twice) during this week of Double XP. Good luck!

+ EPRaider08 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Thank you Robert!!! Picking this up as soon as it comes out.

+ Turbocharged420 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Hey Rob! Nice to see you on here! I was the one on your FB page b!@#$%n for a date for so long. Anyway, wondering when the double xp starts and ends. Also when can we expect the DLC to drop on PSN? And any news on the future DLC? Any clues you can give us? Thanks in advance! And look forward to finding out when you’ll be online on PS3 on the DLC. I’ll be looking for you!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Hey Turbocharged420!

Thanks, it’s nice to have a chance to talk more directly to our PS3 users. An opportunity I hope to have more often in the future!

Double XP starts as soon as you get the playlist update / title update tomorrow (if in North America). It’ll go until Monday the 10th.

As to when it will drop, no set time is given, it will be early tomorrow, but not Midnight.

As for future DLC, there are no details I can share at this point but we do have some in the works. Some really cool stuff still coming!

+ Unzipit on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

So will the DLC be available at midnight? Oh yea n happy b-day!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Thanks for the Happy Birthday.

Also, the update comes later than Midnight. Not sure exactly when but between then and the start of the work day for most people I’d imagine.

+ mike1318 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

So how long exactly will the online portion of the game be messed up this time around? Should I wait a week for IW to fix the glitches that occurred like last time?…

+ bjs9051 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

In addition to all of this great stuff I would like to see the HCHQ Playlist updated allowing us to play all the maps in MW2.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

Done and Done.

The remaining maps (Ranger maps – Invasion, Skidrow, Highrise, Terminal) will be added to the HCHQ rotation tomorrow.

+ IcemanSam_5150 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

I miss the simplicity of COD4, Mw2 broke my heart, all anyone ever does is camp for kill streaks, you guys just lost a fan.

+ BROHAM666 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

not sure if anyone asked this question but how long is double xp gonna last..btw happy birthday robert..

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

Thanks, and it’ll last till the 10th (Monday)

+ imajinetion on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

Haha, I think its funny that instead of actually using PS3 footage, they just cut out the part with the D-Pad.

+ lalinde77 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

is it 5/4/2010 at midnight that its avail?

+ StealthCre3pEr on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

I can’t believe all the people complaining about 15 bucks…

+ Modster79 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

Will definately be downloading this!

I spend hours on MW2, but exams have stalled my progress on prestige 1 :/ but believe you me I’ll be straight back on.

Glad to see Overgrown back, my fave map from COD4!!!

And Happy Birthday dude, you should be relaxing!

See you online ;)

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

Thanks! Overgrown is definitely awesome to have back, Domination on Overgrown is quite possibly the greatest thing ever.

+ cooler900 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

How are you going to patch the leaderboard hack? You know its done by bypassing the patch right? So whatever patch is released tomorrow people can still bypass it and do the hack again…

+ zopi-san on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

double xp???????????????????

+ Stealthur on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Hi Robert,

Don’t you think it would have been a better fan service to release the 2 CoD4 maps for free, and then charge like $5 for 3 maps? That way, people wouldn’t think IW are the blood sucking, baby killing machines you appear to be.

Alternatively, if you weren’t an IW employee, would you honestly pay $15 for 3 new maps and 2 old maps?

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

As a gamer, of course I would loved if it was decided to do a free flashback pack for everyone and then the optional paid DLC with more maps. Kind of like we did with COD2 (first pack free, second paid).

However, to your other point, as a gamer who plays Modern Warfare 2 alot, I’d still buy the map pack. Simply because for me, I get a lot of extra playtime on these maps and it’s worth it to me for the amount of time I play on them.

Regardless of my personal feelings though, business is handled by the business end not my end at the developer.

+ speefreak01 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Thanks for the response on time release Rob. No matter what time it is still looking forward to the download. Thanks again.

+ Lex1982 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Robert,

Just curious if this will be hitting with the PSN update at approx 6PM EST or if it will be available sooner than that ???

Thanks for the hard work.

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

I don’t know the exact time but would suspect you’ll get it BEFORe 6PM EST on May 4th. Well before.

+ midnight_rider37 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

How do I pay for it?

+ Hunter_xx_ on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

for how long is the double xp??? I expected a double xp weekend, since too much work :(

+ Starbuck-ITA on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

After all the departures from IW, how much support can we expect for the game? I understand that there is another DLC coming but what about patches and fixes to the game on all three platforms? Will it be as consistent and as fast as it was in the past?

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

Yes – we continue to have a great team here at Infinity Ward (including the original MP designers that brought you MW2, and this map pack), so the same support structure is there and we plan to continue to update the game with more DLC and fixes as needed.

As I’ve said, tomorrow will introduce another title update that fixes a lot of things as well (like Pavelow killstreak counter, Ability to kick in private match, elevator exploit, XP hacks, etc).

+ bhansen99xj on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

Which exploits are being fixed with the upcoming patch? It is nice to know in which areas of the game I will no longer be getting screwed over!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

Fix so Pavelow correctly counts towards future killstreaks
    Matchmaking Improvements
    Allow ability for host to kick players from Private Matches
    Improved Party Stability
    Prevent “elevator” glitches
    Prevent players getting into geo
    Prevent XP hacks (negative or positive)
    One Man Army Tweaks

+ bro12345 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

so what time… 12 am est? oh and i cant wait ive been wantin the 2x xp

+ speefreak01 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Oh yeah how long is double XP going to last? and happy birhtday!

+ Robert Bowling on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

Thanks! Double XP is all week (till Monday)

+ SpiderJ95 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Sorry but no. I’m not going to pay $15 for 3 NEW maps and 2 old ones. Be reasonable with prices for once. With that I could get a good PSN game or a used game at Gamestop. Or I could get reasonably priced dlc such as the ones for Uncharted 2 which for $12 I get 4 new maps, a new game mode, and extra characters. OR I could get maps for FREE since I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 after MW2 so they give people who bought the game free content. I hope you see my point. I will wait until greediness is put aside when the maps are $10 at the most. While your at it maybe you can also fix disfunctional servers and connection/migrate host problems. But thank you for double XP. At least I don’t have to pay for that.

+ KrAzYGiO on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

What time will the map packs come out?
Add me guys PSN:Krazygio
:D

+ trustter on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

This is abuse. I didn’t buy the game, I won’t get it. Now this expensive DLC.

I don’t think you guys will see the color of my money any time soon.

Good luck with it.

With $15 I can buy at least 2 good games on the psn.

+ snowninja85 on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Robert,
I sent you a message on twitter. it’s from @jibsteezy420. Could you please take a look?

+ Huuuze on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Wow. I’ve never seen this much hate towards a single DLC pack. Here’s hoping that Robert takes these complaints back to Activision and that we’ll see a change in the future.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 82