PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

New PlayStation Protection Plan provides added peace of mind

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on May 03, 2010 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hi everyone! Many of you can attest to the fact that the PlayStation brand has long been synonymous with the highest quality in engineering and design. For those of you looking for a little extra peace of mind, we’re now offering an extended service plan for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) and PSP (PlayStation Portable) systems that is backed by SCEA and leverages our technical expertise. Under the new program, PS3 and PSP owners in the United States can purchase an extended service plan of one or two years that begins after the original one-year manufacturer’s limited warranty expires.

PlayStation Protection Plan

With the PlayStation Protection Plan, you can extend the same coverage from the original manufacturer’s one-year warranty for one or two additional years. The pricing includes all shipping charges and repairs, which are performed by PlayStation-trained service technicians at SCEA-authorized repair facilities. The PlayStation Protection Plan is available beginning in May 2010. PSP owners can also choose the Accidental Damage Plan, which provides coverage for cracked-screen damage in the event of an unexpected drop. See pricing below:

• PS3 – 1-year extension ($44.99) or 2-year extension ($59.99)
  • PSP – 1-year extension ($29.99) or 2-year extension ($39.99)
  • PSP Accidental Damage – 1-year ($39.99) or 2-year ($49.99)

So, why are we offering this now, you ask? Well, we’ve heard your requests for an extended service plan that’s backed directly by SCEA. From the get go, we’ve been extremely committed to offering the best entertainment experiences possible. While both the PS3 and PSP systems are designed with future-proof technology and built for long lifecycles, we’re excited to be offering this service to those of you looking for a little something extra.

PlayStation Protection Plan Sticker

PS3 and PSP owners take note – the PlayStation Protection Plan is available to PS3 or PSP owners (both the PSP-3000 and PSPgo systems) who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. The PSP Accidental Damage Plan must be purchased within the first 30 days of owning a PSP system, and the plan is effective beginning on the purchase date. You can purchase the PlayStation Protection Plan by calling 1-866-716-7669. Additional details and are available at http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm. Web site will be accessible later today.

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ curiousecat on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

ITS ABOUT TIME!

+ MadBow on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

Great idea and not bad pricing. Thanks Sony!

+ moose39 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

$60 for two years? Damn Sony, that’s not bad.

+ Otsego_Undead on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Would’ve been helpful 2+ years ago and $150 later…

+ COMBATCSOLDIER on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

This is absolutely wonderful.

+ AaronF on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

This would have been great for my launch PS3 that died and cost $150 to replace, which also resulted in my losing tons of copy protected save files.

+ ChaosSoul on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

why should we pay for it with the whole issues that happened with the leap year and the updates that froze the phat ps3s

+ UnnDunn on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

This is all well and good, but Xbox 360 has a 3-year warranty covering their most common problems. Paying $60 extra to get 2 years of extra coverage for Yellow Light issues seems disingenuous.

+ xKOROSHIYAx on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

You should make an extended warranty for your refurbished models that you send people back. A 90 day warranty isn’t enough. I recently replaced my original 60GB model and was hoping I could purchase an extended warranty.

+ fresh191 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

Good news!

Will this be rolling out in the UK/Europe?

We are after all the larger consumer base but you seem to look after your own without a care for the rest of the world, yes ‘rest of the world’. There are many countries outside the US!

John Koller's Avatar

+ Al De Leon on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

The extended service plan is only available to U.S. PS3/PSP owners at this time.

+ mixedkidbx on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

Nice idea but way to late for a ton of us who already had our PS3/PSP systems well beyond the 1 year date.

+ Lord_Orpheo on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

Good idea. Had this been around when I originally purchased my system back in 2007 I would’ve take advantage of this.

+ thekingtavy on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

Im confused so if my ps3 is already out of warranty I cant sign up to PAY for this? If so i dont understand why do it now. Most of the people who requested it wont be able to do it

+ vipergtx7 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

and kinda late. almost all my friends had the yellow light syndrome, the cannot read any kind of disk issue, and the awesome price of $150 for sony to check it out. This “Extended Service” should be provided free since Sony decided to remove the Run Different Operation System on the original fat ps3. What do you got to say about that John Koller??? huh?? lol

+ DZORMAGEN on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

So I had a system for about 3 years. System YLOD, and I spent about $200.00 to get a refurbished one. I have that now, can I get a warranty on that? If so I will do this! That way I don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to get a new system, when customers like me are so loyal to a company.

P.S. I am so pissed that they are doing this now, as apposed to begging of year! This should of been done since day one actually of the systems launch!!

+ spidersparlor on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

What about those of us still within the 90-day repair extension?

I have gone through two sendbacks on my PS3s. Original twice, then the replacement had issues.

I spent $165 (taxes and even taxes on shipping) that could have been saved by this a long time ago.

I am happy it is here, but what about some program for those of us who have already paid? Or how about a grace period for those who bought early, something along the lines of 180 days to purchase or left out?

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

if i may ask, what’s going on with blog.share no new ideas are posted

+ BlooodyCow on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

“who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty”

So no love for people who spend $650+ dollars on the PS3 back in 2006? This is complete BS the way 60GB PS3 owners are being treated by SONY. Why couldn’t you guys charge a little more extra for the people like me who did support you guys back in 2006 instead of waiting within the last year to buy a PS3 because of the lower price and more games available?

+ zophar53 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

Wow Sony, way to put this plan in place 8 months AFTER my PS3 died. Only 2 years after I bought it. Built for long life cycles my a–. Same thing happened with my PS2. Jerks.

+ hustleman24 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

awesome news better late then never.

+ poweredbyzen on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

never believed in warranties – i’ve never had a sony product break down on me. i live in a sony house – bravia tv, bravia sound system, wireless headset, PSP-1000, PS2, two PS3′s, camera, laptop, etc. and they all work great! but this is good for those who are prone to bad luck – hehe!

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

I have a question, I bought a psp go on my bday, NOV. 5, do i qualify for a warranty that’s extended? thank u

John Koller's Avatar

+ Al De Leon on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

If you bought your PSPgo on Nov. 5, 2009, then you’re eligible to buy the Protection Plan for PSP.

+ packy17 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:14 am said:

Great. The people who really need this (those of us with older or launch hardware) don’t even have an option. I still haven’t had any issues with my launch 60GB, but I wouldve bought the additional 2 years right now. Great idea, poor execution. Seems to be par for the course lately.

+ arnoldmcguire335 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

This is great. I should try this out in the future.

+ vipergtx7 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

John Koller needs to speak NOW!

+ Talon224 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:17 am said:

Also haven’t had issues with my Day-1 60GB, but would probably pay for the 2-year plan today just in case. Thanks for the non-help, Sony.

+ iFudge on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

I am with all of you who had to spend the $150. I too had the no disc read problem on my original and just had it serviced. Still in the new 90 repair warranty. I should be able to extend that. This is no help to me.

+ morrislevy on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:22 am said:

Hopefully this will run Best Buy’s protection plan into the ground, like it ought to be.

+ KazeEternal on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

While I’m very happy you guys are offering this now. It’s kind of lame that you are not extending this to all of us who purchased a release unit for the first couple of months this program started. I would love to get my PSP3000 and my PS3 60 gig an extra years warranty. Considering I’ve had both for years I’m suddenly getting the shaft yet again.

Anyway, thank you for starting this program. It’s just to bad that it’s 3 years to late.

+ gillettjoe on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

This is kind of like buying ‘protection’ from the mafia.

+ SPOOKULA209 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

be prepared for a lot of people to start complaining that this was added almost 4 years later lol

+ Cabanon on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

US ONLY ?? CAN I GET A REFUND OF MY SO LONG BROKEN PS3 THAT I HAD TO REPAIR AT MY OWN FEES ??? C’MON !!!

+ Maguss on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

So I can’t buy this?!? Damn it Sony why always manage to include some bad news with your great ideas? Ugh oh well guess you don’t want my money

+ iFudge on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

By the way…just called them and they will not extend the service repair warranty. This is for new systems ONLY.

+ Loy310 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:25 am said:

You guys really need to fix the DRM issues we have with the PSN and PS3.
I want my movies that i paid for on my now dead fat PS3 on my new PS3 slim. Why can’t i/we re-download movies once the PS3 breaks? That sucks and to be honest it is really keeping me away from the PSN store because i would hate for my slim to break and lose all my movies and save data again.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

It would be nice if the Phat series owners could take advantage but I do understand if they are not. It just adds more value to the fact that you can during the first year of ownership purchase an extended warranty if you want to.

@UnnDunn:
I don’t think that the 3 year warranty is still in effect since they consider the reason for that warranty behind them and no longer needed, I remember reading many articles about it on the Internet.

And this sounds like the Premium Service may be ready to roll-out soon for all PS3 owners.

+ gillettjoe on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

@21 I only just replaced my Sony Trinitron of 15 years. Never had any issues with it. Hopefully the Bravia has a similar run.

+ vipergtx7 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

#30 is funny. buying protection from the mafia. lmao. thats true

+ Trigg on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

$20 at Walmart wins.

+ b1gm1ke2521 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

a little too late for me. My system busted out on me about 3 weeks ago. If this was available at the beginning of march I would be jumping for joy. Now I don’t care anymore

+ Loy310 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

And being that this is exclusive to new purchases only all you guys basically did was effectively raised the price of the PS3, now 120GB slim will cost $350, while the 250GB slim will now cost $400……hmmmm…. rip off much.

+ UnnDunn on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

@SpeedRacer155:

The 3-year Xbox 360 RROD/E74 warranty is still in effect.

+ Huuuze on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

I’m happy to see Sony offer this option and at a (seemingly) reasonable price. However, it would’ve been (or will be?) really slick if Sony had baked this into their upcoming Xbox Live clone.

+ Loy310 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:32 am said:

Where is the plan for the people that own both the PS3 and PSP? why cant i pay $60 or $70 for 2 years for both my PS3 and PSP?

+ siccxx on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

thats nice and all but i got my ps3 long time ago and my 1 year is up so you want me to go buy another one to get this well that sucks for all the people that spent $500.everybody that bought a ps3 and a psp should get this. and i thought xbox was greedy

+ Enforcer_X on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

I have two 60GB systems how does this help me?
Can I get 2 more years?
Also can I pay for repairs? Being that if I receive a different system back on an exchange I can’t restore copy protect saves etc.
I would pay for repairs with a guarantee I would get my original system back.

We need more people answering questions on the Blog Sony!

+ Destiny89 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

Not bad.. Canada too??

+ MAAZTER on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:40 am said:

i like how they don’t mention that the older ps3 models are NOT eligible, they mention which psp units are but not PS3… they funny thing is that the main concern is with people with the older PS3 models not the people with a new system… i would say its a good idea but because it’ only for new systems whose original warranty hasn’t expired yet is sorta stupid… but whatever keep trying to screw the people who trusted you early on…

+ curiousecat on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

One other quick comment,
Those of us that leased the unit, won’t be covered as of yet.
I got transfered to 3 techs before I could get an answer.

It also seems that the right hand doesn’t quite know what he left is doing.

The Tekkie did say that the plan is not amiable for the older units as of yet. and is not sure if one will be made for the older units.
How ever a leased Unit if being New, might be covered in the feature again he wasn’t sure.

I paid 1,723.15 for the unit plus an extra controller, and blue tooth remote , and Formula 1 racing game Which I no longer have.
There had better be something for this..or..there could be a very unhappy customer in the very near Future.
When I pay money I expect something to last! and I expect to be treated with respect and not have features removed.

+ roseofmayix on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

..So..Let me get this straight, acts of god are not covered but acts by Satan are?

Sweet.

Satan destroyed my PlayStation. Plz fix it nao.

PAGE 1 2 3 6