Minecraft PS4

New PlayStation Protection Plan provides added peace of mind

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on May 03, 2010 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hi everyone! Many of you can attest to the fact that the PlayStation brand has long been synonymous with the highest quality in engineering and design. For those of you looking for a little extra peace of mind, we’re now offering an extended service plan for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) and PSP (PlayStation Portable) systems that is backed by SCEA and leverages our technical expertise. Under the new program, PS3 and PSP owners in the United States can purchase an extended service plan of one or two years that begins after the original one-year manufacturer’s limited warranty expires.

PlayStation Protection Plan

With the PlayStation Protection Plan, you can extend the same coverage from the original manufacturer’s one-year warranty for one or two additional years. The pricing includes all shipping charges and repairs, which are performed by PlayStation-trained service technicians at SCEA-authorized repair facilities. The PlayStation Protection Plan is available beginning in May 2010. PSP owners can also choose the Accidental Damage Plan, which provides coverage for cracked-screen damage in the event of an unexpected drop. See pricing below:

• PS3 – 1-year extension ($44.99) or 2-year extension ($59.99)
  • PSP – 1-year extension ($29.99) or 2-year extension ($39.99)
  • PSP Accidental Damage – 1-year ($39.99) or 2-year ($49.99)

So, why are we offering this now, you ask? Well, we’ve heard your requests for an extended service plan that’s backed directly by SCEA. From the get go, we’ve been extremely committed to offering the best entertainment experiences possible. While both the PS3 and PSP systems are designed with future-proof technology and built for long lifecycles, we’re excited to be offering this service to those of you looking for a little something extra.

PlayStation Protection Plan Sticker

PS3 and PSP owners take note – the PlayStation Protection Plan is available to PS3 or PSP owners (both the PSP-3000 and PSPgo systems) who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. The PSP Accidental Damage Plan must be purchased within the first 30 days of owning a PSP system, and the plan is effective beginning on the purchase date. You can purchase the PlayStation Protection Plan by calling 1-866-716-7669. Additional details and are available at http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm. Web site will be accessible later today.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ Mosh_Pit on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

Only in the U.S. really?? Where is the love for Canada.

+ epyonscythezero on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

“Hi everyone! Many of you can attest to the fact that the PlayStation brand has long been synonymous with the highest quality in engineering and design.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This is a joke right?

+ Amir29 on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Aren’t our competitors offering the same warranty period free of charge?

+ T-Icey on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

Wait are you kidding me? what about if i don’t have credit card? this should be available in Gamestop, bestbuy etc…

I have the money but i don’t have credit card, and mom is not gonna give me her credit card.

+ allblu on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:06 pm said:

you’re all heart sony, at least you can admit you have a problem.

my 2nd 60gb died on friday night, and i baby the hell out of it. i’m in the process of fixing it myself, if i can’t, maybe it’s time to hang up my dualshocks.

+ Psikorps on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Its great that SCEA is offering this, though it should cover NA, which includes Canada. But as a long time Sony customer, lack of Canada luv is something I have (unfortunatly) grown accustomed to.

+ DarKaoZ on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:32 pm said:

Well I bought my PS3 at launch, if I buy this plan, will I get my 60GB repaired and not “REPLACE”? I think Sony has the tech to fix this original playstations, I seriously play my PS2 games a lot (Fighting Games) since I use it for tournaments and all. I also buy lots of PS3 games, but I really wish I could have it all in 1 consoles and not in 2.

+ SHINSPIKES on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:42 pm said:

Highest quality in engineering and design? So this is only available for new owners? What about those who bought the older ones? How bout fixing an already faulty system without stealing our money? I have 4 different relatives that bought the 60gb. All of them stopped reading disc, and yet yah charge each of them to fix this already broken console. Not only did you charge each 160 dollars, my latest cousin was charged 190. So yah wanna continue to charge us and raise the price even more to fix an already broken console? I now see why 99% of my friends and relatives only play the 360. They fixed it for free.

+ letherclad on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:08 pm said:

I was hoping I could get my launch day 60 GB PS3 covered, but that is asking a little much, haha.

Anyway, this is really amazing and even more justification for my complete devotion to the playstation brand, great job!

+ gt90v12 on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:10 pm said:

In the interest of Sony being able to supply first rate customer service, I believe it would be in SCEA’s best interest to offer the new PlayStation Protection Plan to not only future Playstation owners but to the current owners which has made PS3 the franchise which it is, we’ve show our loyalty to you Sony, it is your turn to show it to us; the supporting early adopters. I currently have a PS3 160GB UnCharted Bundle and a PSP-3000, both which currently don’t qualify for the PPP (or P³). As to be fair to SCEA, the PPP should be applied to the original purchase date, and the expiration date figure from there. Hence in my example, if allow to purchase the P³, my original purchase date was November of 2008, my OEM warranty expiring November of 2009, and with the PPP it would technically expire November of 2011, which would leave me a 1½ left on the extended plan, which I would be willing to pay for. As too my PSP-3000, it was bought September of 2010, the same computation would apply. This would be the fair thing for Sony to allow for current owners. We should also be allowed to have the accidental buy in as well, especially if our PSP’s are in good working order.

+ bazelgolem on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:44 pm said:

Great, now just give us a way to play all of our UMD’s on the PSP Go without buying the same game again.

+ CDubyahS on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:57 pm said:

great idea thanx sony!

+ perrandy on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:08 pm said:

after the loss of my launch 60 gb ps3 console due to yold. i will definately hold out when the next gen hits.because sony hasnt shown any respect to the ones that supported them when everyone were putting them down due to the 600 dollar price tag.first, they release this plan a little to late and in doing this they are telling us that there’s a chance that our machines could crap out sooner than later(mine did last december)second,they removed backwards compatibility(because of costs so they said.third, they pulled an number 8 for those people that still have their machines functioning with the removal of the “other os” fourth, the drm on the machine is just atrocious even when you have a back up utility(most cases you have to re-download every game and thats not all. you cant use their movie store again because you didnt deactivate your account)so for all these reasons i will be waiting around 1-2 years before purchasing anything new just to see what bugs/hardware issues may have…no matter how many bell and whistles the next gen comes with…to be fair both HD consoles have stunk in the hardware department this gen!

+ SGTquig on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:25 pm said:

This is great for the PS3 owners who bought there system after you dropped the prices and brought out the PS3 Slims. Again, you guys are dropping the ball on those who paid over $300+ for the original PS3s. Way to go! I love getting screwed by the company that I have been loyal too for 15 years.

+ SGTquig on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:36 pm said:

The more that I think about this, the more pissed I get. I paid $600 for my PS3 at launch and I am getting no respect from Sony. I supported your system when nobody could and you won’t even sell me an extended warranty? Thanks for disrespecting me and everybody else who supported your product when nobody wanted to take a chance on it.

+ CWAL on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:58 pm said:

Pure B/S.

We bought the launch 60gb system and sony knows there is an issue and fail to solva and give us a better deal? plus dealing with the brainwashing c/s agents at sony which so want you to send you fat for some lame refurbished b/s.

I paid $500.00+ plus for my launch 60gb and you shaft me. At this point with 2nd gen here sony should give us a better deal for a fix. I would pay a $100.00 to $150.00 for a fix and 1plus year warrenty.

Sony you just put a bad taste in your customers mouth with your continuous B/S!

+ CWAL on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:02 pm said:

i feel you 216!

They gotta come better than a lame warrenty thet only helps a small percentage!

And FF13 sucks.

+ aldadevl on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

Hey , here’s an idea… How about making the ps3′s reliable in the first place? I’m on my 4th PS3 because I have had nothing but problems with your consoles and controllers. I just bought my last ps3 about a month ago and it makes really loud popping, crunching, clanking noises. it was purchased from a gamestop and it is an exchanged ps3 for one that did the same thing and had a terrible delay on everything. and now you’re trying to squeeze even more money for your piecesofsh*t station 3′s? who are you guys, capcom ?! screw your stingy ways! PS3′s are built to die anyway.

+ countdantes on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:24 pm said:

Ugh…..WHY, SONY, WHYYYYY?!!?? Along with scores and scores of other gamers, I have supported you since the PSOne and shelled out $800 within the first 6 months of the PS3 launch to get one of these beasts. I have, knock on wood, not had any issues with my 80GB semi-launch (bought in February of 07) system, but with the occasional game freeze happening I was STOKED to see the headline of Sony finally offering a warranty for PS3 owners. Then I read the details. And, once again, Sony continues the recent trend of poor business execution. Why would they intentionally create and market a new service, which we have to PAY for once again, and completely block out the most loyal of their consumers?! I know I’m just rattling off the same s#!t most everyone else with a system as old as mine has been spewing, but I mean seriously. This needs to be fixed. STAT. We should be afforded the same treatment and opportunities as the gamer base that either chose not to, or wasn’t able to, support the PS3 for the first 3+ years of its existence. WE are the reason Sony is what it is in the gaming world.

So disappointed….

+ millerdude75 on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:38 pm said:

Wow, too bad Sony didn’t think of this at the launch of the PS3. They might have saved a few customers from switching consoles. Still a shame to charge for what others offer for free. Sony Playstation 3… It only does everything (including YLOD 6 months after you purchase it)

+ Hurtbag on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

This seems very funny that only a week and a half after Firmware 3.30 bricked thousands of consoles you offer up this money grabbing scheme. Lots of options, a new PS3 $300-$350, a fix from Sony for $150, or extended warranty to keep your sketched out customer base free of TOO much worry.

+ strack94 on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:01 pm said:

wow sony thats really cool. And reasonable too!just mite take you up on that offer…

+ YungShep on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:40 pm said:

So no responses for the 60gb owners? ive been fortunate to have a 60gb that hasent suffered the same fate as other owners, but a little peace of mind for the old school 60gb would really be much appreciated. i can understand if phasing out the fatter systems to offer the plan is the idea, but this does nothing for me if i have to buy a ps3 slim when i can have the 60gb covered for a little longer..

+ IceRat23 on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:48 pm said:

added piece of mind would be if Sony would man up and admit their firmware is creating issues that are causing the PS3 hardware to stop communicating/recognizing physical media rendering their systems all but useless

no extended warranty, $150 refurb/temp fix, PS3 software, or blu ray movies for me

I’ll wait for the lawsuit before I give you guys another red cent

signed previous lifelong Sony supporter

+ aXe_MuRDeR_BoY on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:44 pm said:

This is cool and all, but if you add two years onto the one year warranty I had, the shiny new warranty that I would be paying $60 for has expired 5 months ago. Hows about more time for those of us that grabbed our PS3s when they came out?

+ mgsfoxhound2 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:47 pm said:

great sony, nice… just wish it would have been sooner for me

+ sid6581us on May 4th, 2010 at 12:29 am said:

Good timing introducing this now after most of the launch PS3s already got their YLOD. Well, you already got my money, being out of warranty I bought a second PS3, with OtherOS again, because I needed that. And boom, a few days later you are taking that away from me.

People, don’t be fooled, Sony tries to look consumer-friendly with this move but in fact they are playing their cards against the consumer time and time again.

+ Maggot on May 4th, 2010 at 1:30 am said:

Wheres the love for the loyal sony supporters. Frankly 90 days is a JOKE! for 150 refurbished machine. hell id take even just 1year extended warranty with 150 then your sorry policy in place right now thats not even worth spending the money for

+ the_miyamoto on May 4th, 2010 at 3:11 am said:

This protection plan is nice but people whose consoles are out of warranty are still screwed if their console breaks. Sony really needs to lower the standard price of repairs, because currently it costs half the price of a new console just to receive a refurb with a tiny 90-day warranty. This needs to change.

+ snooker8th on May 4th, 2010 at 4:24 am said:

Bring this to Australia!!

+ snooker8th on May 4th, 2010 at 4:30 am said:

I think the YLOD launch owners are sad – and I am one too.
They had to replace my BD player also, (free) so I have a 2nd gen one of those.
If you take it apart yourself you can reflow it – so easy.
Then take off the back and add some usb powered fans.
Mine is still going.

Together with the cost of labour, parts and postage, a company like Sony cannot take on a massive and continuous returns policy like that for free.

Quit complaining.

+ BaronBrain on May 4th, 2010 at 5:56 am said:

I made a minor mistake when typing my posts (#152-156), which confused some folks:I erroneously typed “RROD” when I meant “RLOD” — my systems suffered the Red Light of Death (NOT the YLOD). Apologies.

@krae_man
I fully disclosed the circumstances of the failures, and specified certain checks to the CSR most people don’t know or attempt, which helped immensely. But I couldn’t get a free repair — It wasn’t a matter of “knowing how to talk to CSRs” or my lack of trying — the CSR understood my circumstances & reasoning and TRIED to swing it… but it’s now locked into place automatically by your SN and cannot be overridden. Along with SCEA’s recent service changes + increased fees, the consumer gets screwed — no more free repairs even if your PS3 dies within 2 mins. of service warranty expiration.

+ robyoung123 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

HEY SONY: Do you think you can at least offer REAL repairs and not your really poor “Out of Service” b.s.? I like my BACKWARD compatable PS3 80GB, not a crummy refurbished one. And I think $150 is alittle steep considering I could go to the store and buy the (really retarded) PS3 Slim for (at most) $300. Do you call this customer service? I don’t. Your customer service is a joke! The people don’t know anything about the product, and instead of anwsering a simple tech. question they say “You need to send it in for $150.” Or they tell you straight-up lies (if you wanna know fellow PS3 owners, add me on the PS3 Buddy list and I’ll tell you), name calling, and thinking that my town in the United States is somehow in Canada. These are just SOME of MANY things wrong with SCEA Customer Serice (if you can call it customer service). I think we all would like some anwsers Sony, and some more resonable services to your loyal customers who bought your products at launch date.

+ Ryoko_Demon on May 4th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

Does it cover 99% of the world? No sony things everyone outside of the USA doesnt exxist.

Does it cover the damage done by sonys deliberate firmware downgrades that brick consoles? No

Its another worhless cashgrab by a company thats fast become notorious for greed and underhanded slimey “business practices”. Deception, maliciouisly destroying customers systems, and outright fraud are not “acceptable business practices”. I for one am glad I’ve gone over to sonys competitors. A new AD slogan for sony is long overdue:

“Playstation 3 it puts the F U in fun”

+ BalramRules on May 4th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Sweeet 8P
Hopefully nobody abuses this system unlike Continuous Play.

+ phade2blaq on May 4th, 2010 at 9:14 am said:

Well having been an owner of a PS1, Ps2, and currently a PS3, I have to say that I totally disagree with the statement “PlayStation brand has long been synonymous with the highest quality in engineering and design.”

I went through 6 PS1 consoles after buying the first one at launch ! It took me all of 7 months before I finally got a PS1 that didn’t give me any issues out of the box !

About a year later, it finally died on me and I went and purchased another one that lasted about 2 years !

Upon buying the PS2 at launch, I went through 4 fatty’s and 3 slim PS2′s before finding one that lasted ! Keep in mind that I’m not a gamer who plays for hours on end and I always keep my consoles clean and sitting in an open space !

+ epyonscythezero on May 4th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

I can’t wait to buy a warranty plan from a company who’s terms of service state, in laymen’s terms, that if something they do screws me over they are not responsible. In fact I’ll do it right after I successfully build a ladder all the way to the moon using nothing but toothpicks and duct tape.

Well off I go to gather what I need. If I hurry I might be able to finish before I die and then I can buy this fantastic warranty!

+ SamTheMan91 on May 4th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

does this work if i already have a ps3 from 2 years ago

+ SGTquig on May 4th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

Way to not include your 1st generation PS3 owners, you know, the loyal ones who paid the ungodly price for the damn thing. Why don’t you get Kevin Butler to explain this to me so I can be entertained while I’m getting screwed.

+ kingkobra0098 on May 4th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

will this plan ever be available in canada? also is there an option for renewal of either plan once it expires?

+ sscoolChea on May 4th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

People are really stupid . Best Buy has had the best warranty of them all . 49 bucks 3 years , your shlt breaks they replace it no question ask . If you paid 600 bucks for it on launch day , they give you 600 bucks back or a slim ps3 for 300 and 300 credit .Folks need to realize that shlt breaks and so stop freakin crying and go get yourself a warranty . ps1 never had a problem ps2 i bought 1 and got the other one free from warranty and ps3 launch died and got the 80 gig for free and 200 bucks credit from best buy because of my warranty .

EVERYTHING YOU BUY FREAKIN BREAKS , YOU JUST HAPPEN TO BE THE UNLUCKY ONES SO BE SMART AND SHELL OUT THAT EXTRA 40 BUCKS ON A WARRANTY .

+ DeuceCam on May 4th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

@231 -

I just love your logic. You’re telling us to take a part a ps3 console and reflow the solder on the cpu because it’s easy, riiiiigghhhhtt. If it’s really that easy no extra parts should be needed, just postage and labor (since it’s so easy like you say labor shouldn’t cost much) – sarcasm.

@ the rest of the naysayers -

1. It’s easy to say quit complaining when your system hasn’t broke. If your system one day suffers the same fate you will understand. It’s even worse when you find out the problem is actually pretty common, yet nothing is done about it. Class action lawsuit anyone?

2. If you’ve had a system that broke and are still telling us to stop complaining please send me some of the endless supply of money you have – it obviously means nothing to you. Otherwise, I suggest you stop jocking Sony and the like. If you keep supporting them in blind ignorance by the masses they will gladly continue making sub-par quality products. Wake up!

+ SGTquig on May 4th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

@ 241: Thanks Capt. Obvious. The reason why people are pissed off is because Sony is discriminating about the people who bought the original PS3 consoles. They said that it only covers the PS3′s that are currently under warranty, which would be the PS3 slims that came out last summer.

As for you brilliant comment about purchasing the Best Buy warranty. Not every store offers an extended warranty. I purchased my PS3 when I was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska. There wasn’t a Best Buy up there at the time. Yes, the Best Buy warranty is great, except for the fact all the stuff purchased from them does the day after the warranty runs out, for some odd reason.

+ Fryed_Mustard on May 4th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

Awesome! My PS3 has worked amazing for almost two years now but its good to know if it ever starts acting up i can just buy the warranty and get it fixed for cheaper lol!

+ pontarokun22 on May 4th, 2010 at 6:18 pm said:

That’s great idea!
I was planning to buy a 2nd PS3 for my brother within this year.
This deal will give him a peace of mind.

+ IceRat23 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

My PS3: “It Only Does Everything…………… Except Recognize Media”

thanks Sony

+ bdarmofal on May 4th, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

Can I protect my ability to use Linux in future PS3 firmware updates??

+ Elvick_ on May 4th, 2010 at 8:47 pm said:

Thanks Sony Computer Entertainment of AMERICA for once again thinking that America = United States.

My original 1 year warranty has expired already anyway, but still. Principle.

+ Kinney1 on May 4th, 2010 at 11:38 pm said:

Congrats Sony!!! You Confirmed that your products don’t have quality. Instead of backing your products by improving them so that they don’t break down, you’ll just leave them be so you can get more $$$. If I get Yellow Light or something else fails with my PS3 it’s Game Over for Sony, I WANT QUALITY!!! Something that lasts a good amount of years. PS Sorry for flamming ;)

+ CantaloupeKing on May 5th, 2010 at 11:46 pm said:

Well, I’m not really complaining. My 60GB from a few months after launch got the yellow light about a year ago. No way warranty still covered it, but I sent it in and Sony sent us a brand new backwards-compatible replacement for FREE. Heaven!
Still, I’m buying the PSP Accidental Damage plan for the soon-to-be-mine Peace Walker PSP-3000. Taking no chances with my first PSP of my own!

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6