PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow Heading to PS2 on June 1st

John Garvin's Avatar + Posted by John Garvin on May 03, 2010 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

Hey everyone, I’m John Garvin, creative director at Bend Studio. I’m excited to announce that Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow will be available for purchase on the PlayStation 2 on June 1!

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PS2

Originally released on the PSP in 2007, we were very pleased that game critics and press recognized all the hard work the team put into the game, honoring it with some of the game industry’s most prestigious awards, including PSP Game of the Year from IGN: It was also #6 on IGN’s top 25 PSP games of all time.

Coming just a couple of years after our first PSP game, award winning Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, our goal was to create another great chapter in the saga of Gabe Logan, blowing out both the game play and production values to create a state-of-the-art Syphon Filter experience. We got Azam Ali to write an amazing soundtrack, Syphon’s first theme song with lyrics and vocals. Azam’s haunting score is a large part of why this game is one of my personal favorites.

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PS2 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PS2

We got Greg Rucka to write the story: Greg’s written many novels and graphic novels, including two series of novels he wrote called Queen and Country and Atticus Kodiak. Greg liked the idea of playing with the notion of who Gabe’s “shadow” might be and he came up with the idea that Lian Xing, Gabe’s long-time partner, might have a past that’s catching up with her. Suddenly she disappears. Evidence piles up that she’s a double agent. I can’t say too much more without giving the plot away, but Greg brought a lot to the Syphon experience. You can read more about our collaboration here.

While the story, music and game play all translated perfectly to the PS2, we’ve made some important tweaks to the controller to please PS2 players. Taking advantage of the extra buttons on the DualShock 2, we’ve added a snap button to make getting in and out of cover easier; we’ve added “swing out and aim” to L1 to make fighting from combat more intuitive and of course, we’ve completely re-tuned the game for the extra analog stick. We’ve also up-rezed textures and effects to take advantage of the unique features of the PS2 hardware. So fans of the PSP game might want to re-experience Gabe’s adventure on the big screen with new controls, and those who have never played it have a treat in store for them.

Also, keep an eye out this summer for the first-ever Syphon Filter digital graphic novel.

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PS2 (Comic)

Over 120 pages long, Syphon Filter: The Opposition Effect is a story that bridges Dark Mirror and Logan’s Shadow, explaining what happens between the two games: Gabe’s hatred of Ghassan al Bitar, his troubled background with Robert Cordell, and more of his history with the irrepressible Dane Bishop. You even find out what happened to Cobra, the neglected rookie agent who worked for Gabe in The Omega Strain. Be sure to look for it on the PlayStation Store this summer!

87 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Brimstone_89 on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:03 am said:

Sick news, I’m gonna buy the crap out of this! I can’t wait to see how the graphic novel turns out either. It would be cool to have it done with voice overs similar to the Uncharted motion comics but I’ll take whatever I can get…also you can add another name to the PS3 Syphon Filter “petition” going on here!

+ Globox_82 on May 3rd, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

WHO CARES! Give us PS3 version, seriously come on! Have been waiting for SF for PS3 for couple of years.

+ Fenris007 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Why is this game rated T when Dark Mirror was rated M? I couldn’t set dudes on fire with the Tazer in this game. Was it because of the T rating? That’s funny since the original SF is also rated T and Tazing Bro’s tell they burst into flames orientated there. Sure it’s excessive but Video games are suppose to be.

+ cjtiger300 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

My question is, when will we see a PS3 version of Syphon Filter???? Come on!!!!!!!!!!1

+ RaidenRaids on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

My question is now that Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow has been announced for a PS2 release on 1st June 2010 for North America & Europe, When is the European/UK release of this game?

+ RaidenRaids on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

UPDATE : My question is now that Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow has been announced for a PS2 release on 1st June 2010 for North America & Candad. When is the European/UK release of this game or is it going to be a worldwide release?

+ SLADE47 on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

This is awesome news!!If Bend is putting a 3 year old game onto an even older system that can only mean they are still working on Syphon Filter!!Which hopefully translates into a PS3 title.It seems logical.I mean they already let loose GOW as far as exclusives go.So that leaves SF,Twistd Metal just to name a few.Im thinking we will see a SF on PS3 now.Maybe along the lines of Alpha Protocols.Sharpish!!!

+ zeldasushi on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

Yay! As a PS2 owner this makes me really happy! Could you guys please port more games over to the Playstation 2? There are still lots of gamers out there that haven’t upgraded to the PS3.

+ Shacojin on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

Yay thank GOD I have a BC PS3, but they need to make a new Syphon Filter for the PS3, I love that series

+ BIGCHIEF on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

Hey Garvinator! You rarely post on the blog so I have just this opportunity to let you know that we need a Syphon Filter game on the PS3. Sam Fisher has been on the PS3 and Solid Snake has also been on the PS3, I think it’s time for Gabe Logan to make is debut. Please make it happen! Oh yeah I Definitely will be picking up Logan’s Shadow on PS2.

+ EnterTheTekken on May 3rd, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

The Platstationation has spoken we want Syphon Filter 7 on PS# ASAP with a huge budget.If you build it they will come.

+ EnterTheTekken on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

I love the original trilogy from the bottom of my heart, Thankyou.

+ Maverick10 on May 3rd, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

I’m buying this for 3 reasons

1. I want to play Logan’s Shadow on a TV screen

2. I buy everything Syphon Filter. I even have doubles of a few Syphon Filter games that are still unopened

3. Logan’s Shadow on PSP was amazing. Awesome story and incredible score. Excellent game

+ lobotomies4free on May 3rd, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

Any word on a PS3 Syphon Filter?

Heck I’d love to play the psp ones on my ps3

+ Kchow23 on May 3rd, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

A little bit too old? I know there are ppl with PS2s and if my PS3 was backwards compatible then I would be interested but come on and make a sequel for PS3

+ Nick-30 on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

why not for ps3 i would’ve have bought it too, but since its ps2, no way.

+ ADR143 on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

we want PS3 syphon filter!

+ xiked on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

Where is my Syphon Filter for PS3?!!? Releasing a PS2 version is very weird. I hope I see it on E3!

+ YellowMegaMan on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

On PS2, wow.

So, when’s the Genesis version coming out?

+ Demonhunter84 on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

A bit too late? Should of been released in 2008 but still I’ll be getting this for PS2.

+ CDubyahS on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:59 pm said:

how about releasing the PS2 on PS3 emulator before this disc hits market?

+ DEADEYEZ on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

Syphon Filter for ps3 please…..

+ IIIKAGEIII on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:43 pm said:

why ps2! i have been eager to play ps3 syphon filter for ages.

+ liquidsnake1010 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:49 pm said:

they need 2 focus on getting us more ps1 games in the playstation store dino crisis 2 please bloody roar 2 theres nothing i want to spend my money on

+ mgsfoxhound2 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:52 pm said:

Awesome I love that PS2 games are still coming out! keep up the good work Sony and thanks Bend Studio!!

+ mgsfoxhound2 on May 3rd, 2010 at 11:54 pm said:

I’m happy i have a backward compatible PS3! worth the $500 bucks!

+ DarkOne_PR on May 4th, 2010 at 1:58 am said:

Sony just leave the ps2 to die already and focus on the ps3!!! jesus christ! just give PS2BC to the ps3 via update and let the ps2 die with honor. PS3 it only does everything except Ps2 games..

+ jacob-813 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

I like that Sony still supports the ps2 but this would be better as a ps3 game. I loved the psp version and am dissapionted that it is for the ps2 and not ps3.

Ps: when is the third one coming out?

+ ShaoranLi on May 4th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

This is cool. Just too bad some people won’t be able to bring this to the bigger HD screen (upscaled) since some PS3s don’t support PS2 backwards compatibility no more … (hint Sony: bring it back)

+ Elvick_ on May 4th, 2010 at 8:43 pm said:

Kind of late isn’t it? You should be pushing new games on the PS2, not PSP hand-me downs. Hopefully the PS3 gets better treatment after the PS4 comes out.

+ Shadow_Dancer on May 8th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Wow, talk about mixed messages. Syphon Filter is coming to PS2? Really? This coming from the same company that says most people they surveyed don’t care about BC and have moved on to playing PS3 games!? Why should anyone even care? Aren’t we all supposed to be playing PS3 games now?..That’s so great about BC, you can switch between them and enjoy all of your Playstation library. Apart from those of us who do have backwards compatibility, releasing this is alittle pointless.

Of course ALL of this would have avoided if you LISTEN to the millions of people screaming for BC.

+ Ryusennin on May 10th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

Mucho kudos to Bend for keeping the PS2 spirit alive.

+ Tyrsis on June 1st, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

…Why?

+ somethingatt on June 1st, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

PS2 games on PSN please.

+ KoruptDawg on June 1st, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Funny, back in May when I 1st saw this I was like “SWEET! Syphon Filter’s comin to PS3!”. Then I saw the “Heading to PS2″. -_-’ …… T_T

+ jhd_1 on June 1st, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

Hope to see Logan in Next Generation game.

+ CDubyahS on June 1st, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

would be kewl if ps2 compatibiliy came in next update….

PAGE 1 2