Bloodborne

God of War: Ghost of Sparta Announced for PSP!

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on May 04, 2010 // SCEA PR Manager

God of War fans –

I’m pleased to share some exciting news involving our favorite Spartan warrior. Fresh off his incredible run in God of War III, Kratos will be coming back to PSP and PSPgo in God of War: Ghost of Sparta!

The last time we saw Kratos on the portable platform was in God of War: Chains of Olympus, a game that coupled stunning visuals with stellar gameplay and is still the highest rated PSP title of all-time on Metacritic.com. So what can you expect this time?

First of all, it’s developed by Ready At Dawn Studios, in close collaboration with SCEA’s Santa Monica Studio, so we have the same talented team that brought you Chains of Olympus — they know the franchise and know what it takes to create an amazing game. I can also tell you from
first-hand experience that we are pushing the limits of what PSP can do with state-of-the-art visual technologies, higher resolution environments, and greater depths of scale. We’re also providing over 25% more gameplay, an improved weapon system, and new magical powers — all enjoyed anytime, anywhere.

Here are a few screens to give you a taste of the action…

God of War: Ghost of Sparta God of War: Ghost of Sparta

As for the storyline, this new adventure will serve as a prequel of sorts, picking up where God of War left off. Ghost of Sparta tells the story of Kratos’ ascension to power as the God of War. In his quest to rid the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must face his dark past to prove his worthiness to the Gods — a journey that will reveal the origins of lost worlds and finally answer long-awaited questions about Kratos’ tattoo, scar, and family.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Well, that’s all I can tell you right now, but we’ll have plenty more to share as we move closer to E3 and our release later this year, so stay tuned for more God of War: Ghost of Sparta news and be sure to keep an eye on SpartansStandTall.com and http://forums.godofwar.com for updates.

+ BigBoss712 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:21 am said:

Pretty cool but was hopping the spartans stand tall thing would be something for the PS3…?

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:22 am said:

This wouldve been a great surprise for E3..but i guess the Blogers couldnt keep thier mouth shut. ooh well ..i cant really complain..atleast we have an idea..and now they have us looking forward to the vidoes at E3..good job PS Blog :p

+ Othello500 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:22 am said:

Don’t milk the cow to hard, please.

+ Rastaman4200 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

@30- 15$ isnt overpriced considering the last map packs for WaW were $10 and only had 3 maps…so why not get a job if $15 is too expensive for ya.

+ JonJonXD on May 4th, 2010 at 7:30 am said:

I must say, the graphics look really good.

+ DZORMAGEN on May 4th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

HELL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

+ zombie9 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

Ready at Dawn? They said they was done with PSP?
Guess Peter Moore will be working for Sony soon. GOOD NEWS:)

+ Superstrokey1123 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

Very nice.

+ nino1911 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

awesome MGS PW GOW ghost of sparta kingdom heart BbB seems like a great year for psp

+ Tikicobra on May 4th, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

YEEEEEEEEES! Chains of Olympus was possibly my favorite God of War game, so I’m really excited to see Ready At Dawn doing another one. :D

+ TheGuardianFID on May 4th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

FREAKING SWEEEEEET, SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! 8)

+ DeforMAKulizer on May 4th, 2010 at 7:39 am said:

HOLY YES MAMA!!!!!!!
On my birthday such an awesome announcement was day!!! YES!!!!!
In the end there will be chaos, and BY THE GODS (Ya they might be dead but…) there will be chaos!!!!
Thank you sony, thank you Ready At Dawn, thank you Santa Monica Studios, for such an awesome awesome announcement on my birthday!!!! =D

+ daniel3334 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:40 am said:

awesome news!!! i was hoping the franchise wasnt dead. thank you sony!! day one buy as always!! yes yes yes!!

+ Skunk616 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:45 am said:

HELL YEAH!!! Can’t wait to put another GoW game into Pandora’s Box XD Kratos kicks ass!

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:45 am said:

Great news… just great news!

+ Berae on May 4th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

@9 maver1ck89

shut up dude.

On topic, it looks very nice wish it was for ps3 tho even if we just got gow 3 loll, its awesome anyway!

+ BlooodyCow on May 4th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

OMG, I have to buy a new PSP now since I sold my old one because it was paper weight

+ DZORMAGEN on May 4th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Can we expect to see it before the years end?

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on May 4th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

Yup, Ghost of Sparta will hit stores this year.

+ Tridon on May 4th, 2010 at 7:48 am said:

Awesome stuff. Now that MGS PSP is becoming even more tempting.

It’d be nice if these came to the PS2 like the Syphon Filter and Ratchet & Clank games, too, though.

+ mikemill on May 4th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

YEEEEESSSSS!!!! Chains of Olympus was by far the best PSP game I have ever played. I am counting down the days to Ghost of Sparta!!!

+ Destiny89 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

I was really hoping the next GoW game to be on PS3 again :(

+ Glacier928 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

Those graphics look unbelievable! Can’t wait for this game!!

+ Globox_82 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:56 am said:

This should have been released on PS3.

+ QuietstormRB on May 4th, 2010 at 7:56 am said:

This is great news. I recently purchased a PSP and CoO was the first game I bought and it was/is fantastic and I’m certain GoS will be even better. I’m confused, is Kratos officially dead at the end of III now that we know GoS will be taking place between 1 & 2 (1up.com has an article about it) or did he survive?

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on May 4th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Ghost of Sparta will take place in between GoW and GoWII, so it’s a prequel of sorts.

+ ULRA-1- on May 4th, 2010 at 7:57 am said:

Honestly I’d rather DLC for god of war 3 then a whole other gow game on the psp..

+ KVG88 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

Another awesome title hitting the PSP this year – Sony, you’re hurting my wallet lol

Between this, Peace Walker and a load of PS3 exclusives dropping this year, I might not be getting the stimulus package for MW2, but I’m sure gonna need a stimulus package to get myself out of debt for all these great games lol

+ hush404 on May 4th, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

OMG YES.

+ Kirkpad on May 4th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

I just got a used PSPgo (for pretty cheap I might add) yesterday, so this makes me happy. Moreso, because it likely means COO will get a bit of a price drop. I am happy that fellow PSN users are complaining about PSP pricing, because there are way more used UMD’s than what is on the Network.
If I am just buying the non-sellable rights to a piece of data, it should be CHEAPER THAN A TRANSFERABLE PHYSICAL COPY. You guys don’t pay for shipping or printing, and I know that hosting a gig of data doesn’t cost as much as producing UMD’s.

I’ve been so happy with the PSN and it’s releases on PS3, I actually expected to see a better marketplace when I logged in with my PSP. Picked up Breakquest, and Mosters (Probably) Stole My Princess!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on May 4th, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

We need this on PSP2 with dual analog support and trophies.

+ xaos on May 4th, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

Amazing news; from some of the stuff RaD has said recently, I had my suspicions, but I was afraid to hope. Can’t wait!

+ SPOOKULA209 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:05 am said:

that’s what I’m talking about

+ mikemill on May 4th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS IS READY TO DOWNLOAD ON LAUNCH DAY FOR THOSE OF US THAT OWN THE PSP GO!!!

I don’t want to have to wait a few days like I did for Little Big Planet PSP.

+ KazeEternal on May 4th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

@43
??? Gaping plot holes? Did you not play God of War 2? Doesn’t matter what thrown he was sitting on at the end of GoW1 given the events of god of war 2. There are mutliple versions of the Blades of Choas, again God of War 2 pretty much makes that obvious so does god of war 3.

Anyway this game is going to be awesome.

+ eyesofreality03 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

yes!!! finally!!!!! this is awesome, release date set for later this year? omg!!!

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on May 4th, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

Yup, later this year!

+ rbanke on May 4th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

I’m excited, but there is no need to mislead people with bullshots ;) Most PS3 games dont even have as much antialiasing as those “screens”

+ station3fever on May 4th, 2010 at 8:19 am said:

loved all ps3 and psp, (have them both) this is great news.
So i get to visit hell again! BRING IT ON BABY, LOL. I jumping with joy :)

+ scorpio182 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:26 am said:

AWESOME!!!!

Can’t wait, two new GOW games in one year!!!

+ NoobHunter91 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:27 am said:

I knew it was gong to be a PSP game lol

+ Globox_82 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

So spartans stand tall site has nothing to do with this?

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on May 4th, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

Keep an eye on SpartansStandTall.com, we’ll be updating it shortly.

+ remanutd5 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

wow i wonder what would be sony new announcements for the psp , this is superb news for psp fans , Chains of Olympus ranks among the best titles in the history of the little system in my opinion , i cant wait!!!!!!
Man , God , LEGEND!!!!!!!!! long live Kratos!!!!

+ BlackIceJoe on May 4th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

Is this a prequel to Chains of Olympus too or a sequel. This is cool. But I am wondering how you can make all these new story’s that were not told about. Then bring them into GOW. What I am meaning is making sense of it all. Does Kratos forget stuff that will happen to him? I want to know with this new GOW game will there ever be a GOW game that take place before GOW1. This way people can find out all the things Kratos did before he worked for Ares. I can’t wait for E3 to see what other new games will come out for the PSP. Maybe an Uncharted or Sly Cooper game.

+ kirafung on May 4th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

Can’t wait for this!
(Though I haven’t had the chance to play GOW:Chain of olympus and GOW III yet)

+ letherclad on May 4th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

Holy crap, can’t wait, this is turning out to be another incredible year for playstation!

As a side note, when I first saw spartansstandtall.com after I got the GOW3 platinum, I guessed it was a psp game :P

+ Kchow23 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

Awesome news… now I can get a PSP for Peace Walker and this. kinda confused about where it takes place if it’s where GOW left off from then he is already a god why does he have to prove himself?

P.S I hope Sony Santa Monica is still doing the epilogue DLC for GOW 3

+ Still_Free-666 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

Time to buy a PSP!!!!

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 4th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

Hellz YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Best year for psp EVER!
Peace Walker next month+Ghost of Sparta THIS YEAR!
=best year in portable gaming

+ LEEONE on May 4th, 2010 at 8:58 am said:

Great news! I hope they make a limited edition psp & pspgo bundle.

+ Zookey on May 4th, 2010 at 9:02 am said:

Any chance (if you make a collector’s edition) that a collector’s edition could come in both disc and downloadable varities? Only have PSP Go ATM but would love it if you guys did a collector’s edition like GOW3 and just included a download code in it.

+ DjD808 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

Thanks RAD Studios, I finally have a reason to dust off and fire up my PSP…

+ Moosehole on May 4th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Don’t get me wrong, this is awesome. But 25% more of a 6 hour game is what… a 7 1/2 hour game? hmmm…