No Man's Sky

God of War: Ghost of Sparta Announced for PSP!

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on May 04, 2010 // SCEA PR Manager

God of War fans –

I’m pleased to share some exciting news involving our favorite Spartan warrior. Fresh off his incredible run in God of War III, Kratos will be coming back to PSP and PSPgo in God of War: Ghost of Sparta!

The last time we saw Kratos on the portable platform was in God of War: Chains of Olympus, a game that coupled stunning visuals with stellar gameplay and is still the highest rated PSP title of all-time on Metacritic.com. So what can you expect this time?

First of all, it’s developed by Ready At Dawn Studios, in close collaboration with SCEA’s Santa Monica Studio, so we have the same talented team that brought you Chains of Olympus — they know the franchise and know what it takes to create an amazing game. I can also tell you from
first-hand experience that we are pushing the limits of what PSP can do with state-of-the-art visual technologies, higher resolution environments, and greater depths of scale. We’re also providing over 25% more gameplay, an improved weapon system, and new magical powers — all enjoyed anytime, anywhere.

Here are a few screens to give you a taste of the action…

God of War: Ghost of Sparta God of War: Ghost of Sparta

As for the storyline, this new adventure will serve as a prequel of sorts, picking up where God of War left off. Ghost of Sparta tells the story of Kratos’ ascension to power as the God of War. In his quest to rid the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must face his dark past to prove his worthiness to the Gods — a journey that will reveal the origins of lost worlds and finally answer long-awaited questions about Kratos’ tattoo, scar, and family.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Well, that’s all I can tell you right now, but we’ll have plenty more to share as we move closer to E3 and our release later this year, so stay tuned for more God of War: Ghost of Sparta news and be sure to keep an eye on SpartansStandTall.com and http://forums.godofwar.com for updates.

+ polo155 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

cant wait for june 15th

+ Bethanator5000 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd I’m so happppyyy

+ krae_man on May 4th, 2010 at 9:17 am said:

I’d laugh if the game gets delayed to March.

+ WWESuperstar on May 4th, 2010 at 9:19 am said:

This is beautiful. I love PSP

+ acerazer1 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

I feel like I wasted my time checking Spartansstandtall.com, I thought it was going to be something epic.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad a new game is coming and all, but if I knew it was just a new game that we pretty much already knew was coming, I probably wouldn’t have checked it every other day.

+ mikemill on May 4th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

Eric Levine -

Will this release day and date in downloadable form for the PSP Go?? I will dying to play this and will really be bummed out if I have to wait a few days after the UMD version drops.

It was really disappointing when I had to wait a few days to download Little Big Planet PSP, for example.

+ HatmanTc on May 4th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

@54. I do have a job, so nice try there. $15 for five maps(2 of which are COD4 maps) is a joke, most gamers agree with me. They know that this is a ridiculous fee for maps especially when 40% of the content is old maps from the previous game. But have fun over spending on that bit of dlc. Once more devs start making their dlc at that price point you can look back and remember you gave them the ok that it’s acceptable to be over charged for content.

Damn now I became one of those off topic
commentors. Sorry guys

+ deathbysteriofx on May 4th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

when does the store update

+ tetsou9shima on May 4th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

Awesome…..loved the first one for the psp. This one looks great.

+ letherclad on May 4th, 2010 at 9:40 am said:

Why did you have to announce this today?

I have a lot of work to do and I can’t focus because of how excited this makes me.

+ NewYork214 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:50 am said:

I love the GoW series. I was hoping the new GoW would be on PSP2 but ill still be buying it no matter what.

+ db022190 on May 4th, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

sounds good to me! it’s a definite buy in my opinion, but a part of me is a bit disappointed… all that hype over spartans stand tall and the images it had before the official announcement would have lead me to believe the God of War story was going to continue on the PS3… like some sort of an epilogue dlc or a whole new chapter in the series after GoW3.

+ sdmf4ever on May 4th, 2010 at 10:00 am said:

I just knew this was coming! This is OUTSTANDING news! This game will surely be another one of the PSPs best yet. Oh…My…GOD of War!!!!!! Can……not…..wait…..for…..this….one!

+ KwietStorm on May 4th, 2010 at 10:03 am said:

My God, we even have Xbots with PSN IDs now. I can’t stand this generation of “gamers.”

+ Blakkternalx520 on May 4th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

i have been waiting for a reason to buy a psp again since my last one got sold… this is the news i needed to go out and get one again. gamestop! here i come lol! greatjob guys.

+ ERB88 on May 4th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

#9 (I’m not even gonna bother typing their name because they are not worth it) is just a fanboy. Wish there was a button to ignore such stupid, ignorant posts.

Anyway, this game is going to rock! It just gives me another reason to upgrade to a new PSP 3000! I wonder if it’s going to be a prequel. Most likely it is. E3 is going to great this year.

+ godofwar_fan on May 4th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

OMG

this news made my day,never saw it coming though.OMGOWOW.2 God of War games in one single year,speechless,freaking speechless now.Now please let me know the release date so that i can get a psp first since i am tired of borrowing psp’s to play Chains of Olympus!

+ Rabid619 on May 4th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

I’m absolutely sold on this knowing that Ready at Dawn is behind it. They did a fantastic job on Chains of Olympus and Daxter and I was sad when they originally said they were done with the PSP. Great to see them back for one more.

+ undergroundgr on May 4th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

epic news.along with peace walker,great year ahead for us psp users.

+ iTofuMan on May 4th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Very nice to see devs supporting the psp its a shame most ps3 users dont own a psp(judging from the comments) they just got GoW3 and they are asking for this to be released on the ps3 aswell talk about selfishness.

anyway ill admit i was never really into GoW, but the games are really fun, cant wait for this to be released!

+ Plankfan on May 4th, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

So….Much….WIN!

+ Iceman3645 on May 4th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

too bad i dont have a psp =(

+ MRGamer01 on May 4th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

This is too awesome! I didn’t think another God Of War was going to be released and this…I can’t wait to buy it!

+ gdogg666 on May 4th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

funny thing is i so knew this was gunna happen

+ SGTquig on May 4th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

This explains what the meter was for.

+ Brapp347 on May 4th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

I played the demo on my psp go yesterday and thought, should i buy this?? Nah, they’ll probably make a new one soon. And WOW, here it is!

+ SGTquig on May 4th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Glad to see the PSP getting some love!!

+ angelspawn77 on May 4th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! (faints) (comes to an hour later) YES!!!! I cant wait for the new GOW psp game!!! the first on the psp was great and im definitely looking forward to this one!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

+ XxNo0b_H8rxX on May 4th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I was here hoping for a God of War IV and we get another psp game… I understand psp users will love this news BUT WE WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU KNOW WHO AFTER THE YOU KNOW WHAT IN GOD OF WAR III!!!!!!!

+ all-ant on May 4th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

so this is just another new game and has nothing to do with the spartanstandtall website does it? (i checked the website yesterday and its 3/4 full :D )

+ nino1911 on May 4th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

i got a good question i heard it will have more enemies on screen CoO had around 4 so will this one have like 6 like answer please

+ LegendSoldierX on May 4th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Seems cool, but I don’t have a PSP. Speaking of GoW, I have GoW Collection and God of War 3. I still have to beat 1 and 2, and haven’t played 3 yet :(

+ superphily on May 4th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

sweet, im happy that i got a psp and can play 2 god of war games. just don’t go the zelda route and maybe consider a bundle w/ chains of olympus? please?
at least now i know kratos will go on and the psp is still supported by sony :)

+ Hrist on May 4th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

This is awesome news indeed. The PSP needs more 3rd person action games!

Good stuff!

And confirmed digital release to boot? Sweetness! The PSP Go is a wonderous machine and deserves more support!

+ tropicalskin on May 4th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

yeah but… i platinum GOW III and i will love to platinum this new one on PS3 ! Any chance to us proud owners of the PS3 to see GOW: Ghost of Spartan for PS3 too?

+ Sarges24 on May 4th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

“and our release later this year” my ass. More like and our release next March. 4 titles to date, all pushed back to March. Do you really think Ready at Dawn will break the trend? I highly doubt it. My hopes are minimal for this year

+ Enigma777 on May 4th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

OMG! Thank you so much! I can’t wait!

+ dono_1994 on May 4th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

they updated spartans stand tall

+ cell989 on May 4th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

yes!!! it was about time

+ Kamahl_rg on May 4th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

nice, its been a while since i got a PSP game! Im getting this!

+ D-Squad3 on May 4th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

I was hoping to see what would happen after the end of God of War III, I was left unsatisfied with it and honestly I wouldn’t mind a God of War IV seeing as how God of War II did everything so much better from God of War I, I’m pretty sure that God of War IV would exceed God of War III.

+ dj128 on May 4th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

Yah. I love God of War

+ Letters2Kay on May 4th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

This is good news.

+ wolfzero1 on May 4th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

aw man, this games sounds really cool, too bad I got rid of my PSP (since I hardly ever used it)

+ andSpark on May 4th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

Esta será la mejor manera de despedir a la señora PSP, espero que este God Of War traiga consigo muchos extras y añadidos que alarguen la vida de tan buen producto, un saludo OH YEAH!

+ FireDragonGod on May 4th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

Cant Wait

+ doubleganger26 on May 4th, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

i dont want this game for psp it sucks on it. make it for ps3 it going to be better i want to play the game on a big screen. ye the fist god of war on the psp was great but it sucks playing it on a small screen and some of the movies take you a while to pull off with the analog stick.so please stop making god of war of the psp hardcore game should go where they belong ps3 not psp.so fans please put it out there you want it on ps3 its going to be great. so sony please stop with the psp and get on the ps3.dam it

+ JINXJX on May 4th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

Wait what…what does my eyes look upon??? more Kratos HELL YES! i sure hope they dont end it from this prequel and god of war 3….since Athena seems to be looking for power hope he lives and pursue her then on…now that would be a must by athena turns bad in greed of power

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on May 4th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Awesome, I want this. I’m actually replaying CoO again, cause I just bought GOW3 and I’m waiting for it to arrive

+ purechileno on May 4th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

What a huge disappointment! waiting all this time for the spartanstandtall.com site and they give us a psp game? sorry but god of war has been an epic franchise for me, and it can hardly stay like that on the wee psp, and yes I did play chains of olympus.