Uncharted 4

ModNation Artist Spotlight: Toy Designer Huck Gee brings his “Art” to Life

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on May 10, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

The guys in United Front Games weren’t just inspired by the art and toys of the Urban Vinyl scene, they loved how the movement gave talented people a new way to express themselves. It gave artists a new way to be seen and to get recognized for their talents.

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Skullhead"ModNation Racers: Huck Gee

We hope ModNation Racers will be a way people can share their imagination with the world, just like these artists got to do with vinyl toys.

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee

This week, the Artist Spotlight stays in the world of Urban Vinyl to meet another one of its superstars, Huck Gee.

In this Spotlight, Huck shows us some of his favorite toys, boots up ModNation to bring his “Skullhead” character to life, and STILL has time to have a RACE with fellow vinyl artist, Jesse Hernandez!

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Ninja' ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Ninjas'

Huck not only has made a sweet career designing toys for companies like Kidrobot, but is one of the few vinyl artists featured in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It was great to see how he was able to realize his vision with the game’s tools and ultimately race it.

We can’t wait for you to do the same.

15 days and counting!

Any ideas on what you’re going to make?

PAGE 1 2

+ Psikorps on May 10th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

Those Ninjas Rock!

+ Chuckbait on May 10th, 2010 at 5:17 pm said:

I’d rather play Mario Kart. $60 for a cart racing game, oh please.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 5:35 pm said:

Hey, each to his or her own. But to quote IGN, ModNation is-

“much more than just a kart racing game”

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 5:21 pm said:

I’ve been waiting all day for this. You guys should keep doing spotlights even after the game is for sale.

+ woodenlore on May 10th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

I’d like to make a PS3 demo appear

+ PataponKiller on May 10th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game! But Will there be a ps3 demo?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

short answer- YES!

+ v1lla21 on May 10th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

ayo chuck.
well I have lots of ideas right now but im gonna make some aztec or ancient civilization mods and tracks and for the karts im going to continue making karts based on countries.
like these.

+ Pesico on May 10th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

Fun that you brought back Jesse Hernandez to play against Huck Gee. A vinyl art fight, on the track of course.

BTW, what is the song that was playing in the background?

As for what I’m going to make. I have a few ideas. Gonna make a track based on the town I grew up in and also a track based on my favorite number 8.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Looking forward to that! The song is from the in-game soundtrack which I must say is pretty darn good.

+ Standard_Gamer on May 10th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

@2 i agree. this game is so stupid. no wonders its only for the evil ps3.

+ ndw4 on May 10th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Chuck, I don’t know what else to ask, Modnation Racers looks to good to question.

+ Gundersniff on May 10th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Man his skullhead mod is sweet, only 2 more weeks of waiting!

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 5:33 pm said:

The only track I have planned right now is a sort roller coaster mine-cart track. Thus, it will be interesting to find out how exactly tunnels will work and if I can do the you’re-in-a-cave feeling diligence.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

I will confirm that you can totally have an “in-cave” track. One of my favorite in-game tracks is called “Miner’s Rift”.

Keep on concepting, you’ll be building it soon enough!

+ BlooodyCow on May 10th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

Why isn’t the load time fix for the final game? I remember UF saying that they fix the long load time, but early video says otherwise

@2 Chuckbait
Isn’t Mario Card also a stupid cart racing game that is $60?

@7 Standard_Gamer
Why are you on the PS blog if the PS3 is evil?

+ Ozbendigo on May 10th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

Can’t wait till game comes, i already preordered on gamestop. Also do you when the ps3 demo comes out?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:45 pm said:

soon…very soon.

+ jacob-813 on May 10th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

Napoleon dynamite
simpsons. (same look as the characters from simpsons road rage)
some other famous characters
Mario

+ Chuckbait on May 10th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

Not Mario Kart 64 :)

I actually think the game looks decent…just not my type of game. So I was just playing devil’s advocate.

(Mario Kart, not card.) My point is this game should be downloadable and not $60. But if it sells well, more power to ya.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:24 pm said:

All opinions are welcome. Karting isn’t for everyone. But MNR isn’t just racing, it about building your tracks, characters and karts. That kind of experience is a bit bigger than a downloadable game for PS3. Hope you give it a spin when the demo comes out. :)

+ DZORMAGEN on May 10th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

Hey Chuck don’t listen to haters!
Anyways today I won the DLC you talked about last week, but the code is invalid. I know I don’t have the game, bit i thought once we get the code we can nter it the PSN network to have it saved in our Download box. When will the code go live?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

The code goes live when the game launches. Just save it in a nice spot. :)

+ Hunter_xx_ on May 10th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

I’m still waiting for a video with naughty dog ;), mario kart is fun, but being able to make your own tracks and characters, nothing beats that

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on May 10th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

*sigh* I’ve given up on a PS3 demo anytime soon. At least I got a code for the Air Raid DLC from Gamespot today. Thanks for the heads-up on that, Chuck.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

Keep the faith!

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

That’s good to hear. Really good, actually. Day one buy for me. I should probably get another controller now too.

+ coolasia on May 10th, 2010 at 5:46 pm said:

Hi Chuck ITS ME COOLASIA

15 days left huh?

Still thinking about that time machine

Anyway demo releases tomorrow i so want to get that
i have media go for playstation store access
how much will it cost for psp?
hope you’ll know it by now!!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

ModNation Racers PSP is $29.99! Best deal since Patapon sold for $19.99!

+ Ashenshugura on May 10th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

I am hoping to make a track thats under water. Glass tunnel hopefully?

Also there is no way I can decide on what my racer will look like yet. Maybe a T.V. guy racing on a PS3 kart?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:27 pm said:

Draw it out now and see what you can make when you get the game.

+ Dave-The-Rave on May 10th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

How many more of these Artist Spotlights can we expect? I want to see more game developers.^_^

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:27 pm said:

More in the works.

+ Vex_Doppel on May 10th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

I like this guys style much better than the other guy. I’d like to see him make characters out of Modnation. *hint hint* He did a great job on his Mod too.
I hope there’s a patch coming for the load times, I’m already getting this game but it was a deal breaker for an online buddy.

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 10th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

sorry to post this on the wrong board, but there’s some a-hole that is bad-mouthing u guys in the comment section of one of my ideas(Modnations Racers PSP DLC), so if u, Sony, could do something, please do. Thank u

+ Zezzler on May 10th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

LBP2 will feature cart racing!? *GASP*
Watch out MNR you better be thinking of the future. that might be the app killer you have been fearing (just kidding)

Cant wait!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

Congrats to Media Molecule for their recent announcement! It’s going to a LBP Holiday. (After a MNR Summer that is!)

+ TopBanana0769 on May 10th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

Having vinyl artists featured in artist spotlights was a stroke of genius. Really cool stuff and this one really highlights how easy the tools are. Only 2 weeks left! I’m hoping the demo comes out tomorrow. I’ve been itching to race since the beta ended.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

PSP Demo Launches tomorrow!

+ MarioHead on May 10th, 2010 at 6:04 pm said:

When making a track, can you make the road split into different ways you want it to go? Such as shortcuts, junctions, etc?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

Definitetly!

+ jr-beast1221 on May 10th, 2010 at 6:15 pm said:

That guy was alot better than the Jesse guy. But my bets for the next 2 mondays are naughty dog and of course, Media Molecule.

Anyway, snatched up my DLC off gamespot, and was wondering if you could answer when we redeem them? I’m assuming the 25th but just curious. And can i haz demoz plz? =)

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

You got it! The 25th.

+ Noitcartsba on May 10th, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

i got the gamespot codes, and i’m sure there’s still more available. I don’t doubt modnation will be a good game, but it is very slightly depressing how the play create share genre features a forced story mode in order to unlock stuff. i’d prefer if it was all available from the getgo, and then i could do the story at my leisure >.>”

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

Believe me, there is a ton of stuff available to use without playing the story mode. But with that said, the story mode is tons of fun and isn’t a chore at all. (unless you just don’t like racing.)

+ DZORMAGEN on May 10th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

Are all the mods, and karts featured in the weekly ModNation Artist Spotlight going to be in the game, or FREE DLCs?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

We shall see!

+ Pesico on May 10th, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

@28: All to their own of course, but I’m the opposite. From what I’ve seen, the campaign will be awesome with 3 tasks for each race that will be increasingly difficult. It should be given that you get awarded for completing them. And it will feel much better when you know you worked hard for it.

+ iTofuMan on May 10th, 2010 at 6:31 pm said:

I SOOOOO want those “Hello my name is” figures may i please have one!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

You’ll have to ask Huck! huckgee.com

+ DNAgent on May 10th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

I’ll probably pick it up once the long loading times are patched. That was the main problem from the beta and it still seems like a problem.

+ Kenshin71 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

Game looks great but think Sony should have gone for a slightly cheaper price point. There is a lot of chatter about the long loading times too so I hope UFG are working hard to reduce them before release.

+ macling on May 10th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

I’m really excited for this game, but my one concern is the load times. Hopefully, we get a demo tmr so I can see for myself just how long they are (hopefully not very)

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

I played the BETA and this game is VERY IMPRESSIVE! Mario Kart was FUN…but this game is just BETTER! IMO. From the CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS to the weapons,which might seem simple but they are very effective,this game is a MUST HAVE KART RACER.I honestly cant wait for the demo…which i hope is out b4 the game..to ease my anxiousness :p Thanks SONY for support such GREAT GAME DEVs.- IT ONLY DOES XCLUSIVES!!! lol

+ phinnv8 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:07 pm said:

Modnation Racers looks great and there have been some rave reviews but I’m really concerned with this “very long load times” business I keep hearing. Especially considering this game has an install I’m thinking it wasn’t designed very well. I’m hoping this is the number one thing your looking into tweaking after release (especially considering how much UC2 was sped up for loading online games).

All that been said I still look forward to a demo and plan on buying it when it arrives.

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

I heard it will be $30 for PSP but is that the same price for PSP go owners or is it a different price? Just want to make sure and please read what I posted on #23, thank u

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:15 pm said:

$29.99 is standard price for PSP for EVERYBODY!

PSP Demo hits TOMORROW!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

$29.99 is standard price for PSP for EVERYBODY!

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:13 pm said:

Also I heard the drifting was criticized in a review I read of the PSP version. Any thoughts on that if any?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

Play the demo tomorrow and make your own opinion. :)

+ WWESuperstar on May 10th, 2010 at 7:21 pm said:

I really can’t wait. I want to create some WWE Superstars and Hayley Williams of Paramore lol

+ zaltar on May 10th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

This game looks truly incredible. The game that I spent the most time on when I had my PS1 was Crash Team Racing, so I was really excited to see Sony doing another great Kart Racer!!

I’m so glad that I pre-ordered it!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:14 pm said:

I started my career here with CTR! LOVE that game.

+ Reginthorn on May 10th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

Dude I now want this game. IGN just convinced me. By the way is the trophy Knocking Boost a reference to Gamescoop?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

I think it’s a reference to Knocking Boots. :)

+ Kchow23 on May 10th, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

cool stuff… can’t wait to pick it up at Gamestop

+ jvasq on May 10th, 2010 at 8:05 pm said:

what the heck? mario kart? why are you talking about such a poor developed game with SOOO many restrictions and no freedom to do anything but race. weak. MRN is going to revolutionize gaming in ways that mario will piss his pants. you cant tell me that after watching this video that you didnt want this game. you just saw that anything is possible and lets be honest, how many mario games let you create your own stuff? lbp and mrn are the only games that give you so much freedom as a gamer that it inspires you to want to do more. i want to be a game developer and i want to use this creation idea on other games. man i cant wait for this game. i love the freedom the options and how cool this game looks. i LOVE my ps3 and no one can beat what they have created here. mario your old and repetative, you need to get a new gig. i think i saw daisy with sac boy. thank you so much UFG for this game. i have already pre-ordered and any dlc you release will be mine.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 10th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

Thanks for the passionate support!

+ spunnups on May 10th, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Two things. Are the load time going to be fixed via a patch or before the release? Also, have you been in Talks about doing any more PS3 exclusives with Sony? If the game sells well, maybe a sequel? I saw you guys are working on True Crime, but what else? Thanks. I know its a loaded paragraph, but hey, im curious.

+ spunnups on May 10th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

^^^It would be nice to know about load times, it’s a huge thing with anyone who is on the fence about this game. I’m getting the game regardless because it looks like a ton of fun. But please, try to find out for us. Thanks.

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 8:46 pm said:

@spunnups
The load time can’t be ‘fixed’ because it isn’t broken. However, I do agree that it would be nice if it was reduced.

What I’m curious is how it would work. I’m hoping it’s something that can be amended with a patch. If it turns into something where they ship a new disc entirely in a couple of months, I might be forced to get a little mad. I have more faith than that, though, and assume this is something UFG can work through!

+ spunnups on May 10th, 2010 at 8:49 pm said:

@Jak I’m not 100% sure, but I believe the LBP load times were reduced by a small amount after release. I’m a patient person, but most aren’t which is why i impose the question. I doubt I will get an answer for this question.

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

Sounds good. I don’t mind the wait. I like to think I’m patient too!

+ heartgamingmufin on May 10th, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

its really hard to decide when there r games like greenday rock band comin out.getting green day will leave a pretty bad sense in my outh,but theyre too awesome.

srry