PS4 - Transistor

ModNation Artist Spotlight: Toy Designer Huck Gee brings his “Art” to Life

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on May 10, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

The guys in United Front Games weren’t just inspired by the art and toys of the Urban Vinyl scene, they loved how the movement gave talented people a new way to express themselves. It gave artists a new way to be seen and to get recognized for their talents.

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Skullhead"ModNation Racers: Huck Gee

We hope ModNation Racers will be a way people can share their imagination with the world, just like these artists got to do with vinyl toys.

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee

This week, the Artist Spotlight stays in the world of Urban Vinyl to meet another one of its superstars, Huck Gee.

In this Spotlight, Huck shows us some of his favorite toys, boots up ModNation to bring his “Skullhead” character to life, and STILL has time to have a RACE with fellow vinyl artist, Jesse Hernandez!

ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Ninja' ModNation Racers: Huck Gee's "Ninjas'

Huck not only has made a sweet career designing toys for companies like Kidrobot, but is one of the few vinyl artists featured in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It was great to see how he was able to realize his vision with the game’s tools and ultimately race it.

We can’t wait for you to do the same.

15 days and counting!

Any ideas on what you’re going to make?

PAGE 1 2

+ resaqua on May 10th, 2010 at 9:00 pm said:

I can not wait for this game, looks great and surely will be great.

+ spunnups on May 10th, 2010 at 9:02 pm said:

^^^GreenDay Rockband will get a price drop rather quickly and it will just be another cut and paste job made by the guys at Rock Band. Give your money to developers more deserving, like UnitedFront Games and their innovative new creation, Modnation Racers. Support innovation and not stagnation.

+ TheRescue on May 10th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

Any update on if the downloadable content will be purchasable down the road? I am a collector of sorts and want all of the characters, but there’s no way I’m pre-ordering this game at 3 different locations. And with the mystery ones as well, even if I did pre-order at all three places there’s no guarantee that I’ll get 3 separate mystery karts/mods.

+ NoxNoctisUmbra on May 10th, 2010 at 9:21 pm said:

Great Video, great art. I also can not wait for my copy. I have already bought a copy from Amazon :) I can’t wait for the delivery! I wonder if I will be able to re-create some Gran Turismo circuits!

By the way, I know there was the BETA for MNR.. will some of the BETA user created levels make into full MNR game?

+ Hooligantuan on May 10th, 2010 at 10:00 pm said:

I immediately fell in love with the vinyl figure look of ModNation Racers upon first seeing media releases of its gameplay and design.

Makes one wonder if it’s too much to hope for a vinyl figure line of mix-and-match make-your-game-character pieces…

:D

+ sfgdfds on May 10th, 2010 at 10:19 pm said:

awesome. again.

but Chuck, tell me. will Kevin Butler be in this game or not. If not, I will make him myself. we can share characters as well, right?

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on May 10th, 2010 at 10:41 pm said:

I’m really excited about this game

About the load times… if you can’t reduce it, would it be possible to show the track being “built” as it is being loaded. It might make it more interesting, rather than just watching the percentage counter.

+ JAk_HAk on May 10th, 2010 at 11:01 pm said:

@AnthonyTonyMagic
Something like that would be super cool. I’m sure I would get tired of it eventually, though, or it might just feel out of place in certain races. It might be worth it if there was an option for this and if you want, you can turn it off.

Similarly, using a standard menu instead of driving around and having to load each part of the modspot would be a reprieve.

Even still, I’m getting the game day one. MNR makes me happy :)

+ TheRealAlpha2 on May 10th, 2010 at 11:25 pm said:

I’m amazed at the ludicrous comments that suggest this is not a 60 dollar game when other racing games pack maybe 10 tracks at most with a couple of variations or reverse maps, yet this game has potential for almost UNLIMITED tracks! LBP has like 2 million levels, and even if half of them were bad that’s still 1 MILLION levels on a game with design tools that are more complicated, MNR has SUPER easy to use tools and can make an awesom level in a fraction of the time it takes to make a LBP level so this could see 10′s of millions of tracks.

Take THAT MarioKart. Or heck even Blur which is a cart racing game desguised as a regular racing game. It still only has a limited number of tracks compared to a game that could have a hundred more tracks by the time you get the thing home from the store.

+ Sonicfan11589 on May 10th, 2010 at 11:31 pm said:

thank u chuck for keep responding to us fans, it really makes us feel glad that we can count on u guys to keep reading our posts and making an effort to answer them, this is a PSN update day that I REALLY REALLY can’t wait to come, more so than usual, hopefully u guys keep updating at the time u have been like the last 2 weeks or so, we also really appreciate that, the earlier, the better, have a nice night, and hope u had a nice mother’s day.

+ laminaatplaat on May 10th, 2010 at 11:34 pm said:

The new LBP2 trailer kinda killed my excitement for this game. I still got it pre-ordered but couldn’t you wait a couple of weeks with announcing LBP2?

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on May 10th, 2010 at 11:38 pm said:

Hey Chuck

I know it might be a little bit early in the day to ask you this, but it looks like the PSN Asia 5/11 update has gone live, but there’s no ModNation Racers demo.

Is the demo going to be released on PSN Asia? If so, when?

More importantly, are we going to get the full game on PSN Asia at the same time as US?

+ WhiteF8ng on May 11th, 2010 at 12:27 am said:

OMG… Ninjas, Anime characters, a mod for my emblem, myself, comic characters, originals…. There’s gonna some time dedicated to this for sure…

+ Aramis70 on May 11th, 2010 at 12:42 am said:

standard _gamer if you don’t like the game then don’t buy it, secondly the PS3 is not evil your just talking nonsense.

+ IceCreamBandit on May 11th, 2010 at 4:19 am said:

s’up Chuck….just wanted to say thanks for putting in a good word for me with the ModGods…i got an Air Raid code *puts on Horatio glasses*

+ S-E-G on May 11th, 2010 at 4:30 am said:

i think i’ll wait for the kart game on LBP2

+ frampo4 on May 11th, 2010 at 6:05 am said:

Have seen some pretty rough loading time videos online, will this be improved with the final release or a patch? As I feel it may be the main issue between me buying and not buying.

+ frampo4 on May 11th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

How about a way to let users set their PSN ID as a shot of their avatar in MNR? That’d be awesome ^_^

+ b_reel2283 on May 11th, 2010 at 6:46 am said:

i’m sold on the game. can’t wait to get it. my wife on the other hand is a little skeptical… any word on a ps3 demo??

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 11th, 2010 at 6:57 am said:

WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THIS STUFF ABOUT LOADS!!! i mean seriously when was the last time you played a game that was brand new and didnt take minutes to load? IT HAS TO BE BROKEN IN!!! soon thos 1 minute loads will be 20 seconds at MOST!!! tell em chuck

+ edsterturbo on May 11th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

Will the Ps3 Demo be released the same day as the PSP demo?

+ FE_RR on May 11th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

@ 41 zaltar i loved CTR too, i had the pleasure to be in the beta test, so i can tell that this is the best kart racer since the PSone CTR, it’s great

+ V_Ben on May 11th, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

I just hope that there’ll be a patch for the crazy loading thats apparently in the game. My pre-order still stands, i wouldn’t pass this game up for a 5 minute load time. But still, it would be nice to have some quicker load times! :-D

+ dragonmagician on May 11th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

Interested in seeing Naughty Dog and Media Molecule in the Spotlight.

And please look into the load times. Give an option to install the entire game on hard drive, look into streaming data for future patches, show a monkey dancing, anything…

+ Permafry_42 on May 11th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

hey chuck; you’re going to have an urban vinyl dlc pack right?

+ HillYeah on May 11th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

With so many options for track and mod creation, how about the gameplay camera view itself? I’ve heard mention of a few different vantage points for first person, but how about the first kart game (or any racing game) to offver a full on top-down racing view option like the classics?

If LittleBigPlanet 2 can do it, MNR could do it too. Just add the camera view and offer the ability to set a static or dynamic camera above that can show the full track at once or scroll with your car! (All track creator options). Just so all racers are either in a first person view or all racers are in the topdown view determined by the track creator to make things fair. Both race types would be available on any created track, but chosen pre-race???

Please add this feature!

+ tenshin78 on May 11th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

PREORDERED! as a Graphic Designer, Comic Artist and character designer, I CANT wait to have my hands on this magnificent game that encourage people to go all creative!
There is so much to do in this game, its overwhelming!

+ THe_HeKeLS on May 11th, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

when will the blog talk about something other than pod nation and fat princess? because thats pretty much all they talk about

+ THe_HeKeLS on May 11th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

my bad mod nation

+ speeQr on May 11th, 2010 at 9:53 am said:

congrats to huck! even if jesse schooled him. i can’t wait to get my hands on this so i can school huck too.

+ THe_HeKeLS on May 11th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

not that there bad games, i really have no opinion on that cause ive never played either.

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 11th, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

When we’re in the actuall modspot will there be split-screen aloud…i know in the races it is split screen online but will splitscreen online be availabe in modspot?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

You and a friend at your house can play online split screen, but when you race against online opponents it’s single screen.

+ BalramRules on May 11th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

MNR FTW! XD
LBP 2 FTW! XD
SONY FTW! XD
YEPEEEE

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

BalramRules FTW! :)

+ BlackMoney18 on May 11th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Hey Chuck what up man? i love what you guys are doing with the game and what you guys have done with the new and improved website.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Thanks! Wait till the Community Site goes live. (More on that later.)

+ Nunchuckles on May 11th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

So are they patching the game and fixing the load times, its sad that alot of people are already asking for a patch of a game before it even releases.

+ Nunchuckles on May 11th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

@suicide_surfer
It takes a minute to load EACH race, not just to load the game.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

Not true. I’ve loaded many a race in less than a minute.

+ loop-s-pool on May 11th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

I heard from a person on my friends list that MNR will include a weapon that can goes directly to first place. Could you please deny this for me Chuck? I hated Mario Kart for the blue shell (it would go past everyone till it got to 1st then it took a while to get back up D: )

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

Nope. If you upgrade your Boost Power up to the 3rd level, you can open up a portal that moves up a few spots Back to the Future style, but not all the way to first. (Unless you are like in 3rd.) :)

+ NorthernLitez on May 11th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

I can’t say enough about this game. I also can’t wait to get the final ‘gold’ copy in my hands :-)

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 11th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

Thanks for the support! Only a few more days!

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 11th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

@86 its exvatly what im talking about…..lbp took over 2 minutes sometimes to get to each level. then after a day or two it gets lowered to normal. kinda like a shoe….or sumthing…IT HAS TO BE BROKEN IN

+ Army_of_Lefty on May 11th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

Another great display of what can be done in MNR! thanks once again chuck. cant wait to hop in and do this myself! but maybe not as professsional. keep up the updates man im here everytime! cant wait for Demo. and PS i somehow got the Air Raid DLC even through my brothers graduation!!

+ jacob-813 on May 11th, 2010 at 11:12 pm said:

Awsome game. I got my sister to want it so she says she would pay for part of it. I have no idea how but she seems to always have money? Anyway, I think I will preorder from amazon and get ratchet and clank/sackboy/mystery mod. If I do not then I am sure there will be a code online somewhere. Btw will there’ve a ps3 demo nxt tues.? I really want to play the ps3 version. Can’t wait for it to come out. 14 more days!!!

+ DaanHendriks on May 12th, 2010 at 12:13 am said:

Hello,

i really hoped, That after you said there would be a ps3 demo soon. Very soon you said.
But again no demo in the store this week. Will it be in the eu store this week? Or we have to wait till next week? It looks so frickin awesome!! I would love to Play the demo, to get the feeling!

Greets Daan

+ jma1024 on May 12th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

game looks insane hey any update on a PS3 demo being released prior to the launch of the game got my preorder but would like to get my hands on a little of MNR and i dont have a PSP

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 12th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

ugh i broke my foot in three places on saturday and that means i have to get another xray on the twentyfifth….and the SOLs for my skool are 26th 27th and 28th….that means i cant stay up all night playing it and that means i only have like an hour of modnation on day 1….PLEASE MAKE IT COME OUT THIS COMING TUESDAY!!!!!!

do it for me

+ JAk_HAk on May 12th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Just found out I’m going on vacation for a week starting the 25th this month. So not cool. Here’s hoping Gamestop has a midnight sale midnight the 24th and I can bring my PS3 to the hotel!

+ KONFLICTIONZ on May 13th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

Still no news on the PS3 demo? I’m quite surprised it hasn’t been put up yet! only one more day it can be added to the store, before the release of the game. Red Dead Redemption comes out on the 18th, which may be the same day as the demo. Not long to wait now… :)

+ KONFLICTIONZ on May 13th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

Hmmm, the date for Red Dead Redemption has been changed to the 21st, now!

+ bj17240831 on May 16th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

umm… hi chuck this is my first time leaving a comment, so is there a final date on the ps3 demo for modnation? if you know tell me, thanks

-BJ