PlayStation Vue

May 14

ModNation Racers: PS3 Demo Hits PSN May 18th!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Chuck Lacson on May 14, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Happy Friday! I’m happy to kick off the weekend with two bits of news from ModNation.

I’m happy to confirm that on Tuesday, May 18th, the ModNation Racers Demo goes live and you can finally sample the over-the-top kart racing action and deep creation tools the critics have been raving about. So the question is- “What will you be able to do?

Well let me break it down-

mar26_1f march_screenshot_31A

Get your Feet Wet in Single Player – Race on one of the in-game tracks against AI in Single Player and test both your driving skills and your weapon management.

mar26_2c mar26_2e

Face Off in Multiplayer! – Challenge up to 3 of your friends and race against each other in Offline Split Screen Multiplayer.

PJ33_07 mar26_4e

Design your Mod and Kart – Hop into the Creation Station to make your own Mod and customize your own Kart. See what you can do with just a fraction of the accessories from the full game!

img0018 mar26_10a

Make a Full Track and Test Drive it! – Lay down some asphalt and drive your track to life! Sculpt mountains, create lakes, and place props wherever you want. Then take your Track for a spin!

Save your creations and Share them in the Full game! – Keep you creations on your hard drive and enjoy them with the full retail copy of ModNation Racers. Share your creations with friends as well!

We hope you are looking forward to your taste of our next Play, Create and Share experience.

There have been concerns online about long load times in the final game and while even though UFG improved load times since the beta, they are looking into further optimizing the game via a post-launch patch!

So there you go! See for yourself next week what ModNation is all about.

Stay tuned for more fun stuff on ModNation Monday!

+ dotCody on May 14th, 2010 at 3:55 pm said:

Awesome! Hopefully it’s better than the PSP demo ;)

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

So what are you say’n? The PSP Demo was dope! :)

I’m certain you will be pleased come Tuesday.

+ jacob-813 on May 14th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

Yea finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go mnr!!!

+ DZORMAGEN on May 14th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Thanks for the Demo, but I don’t need it. I have played the Beta, and I was sold on day 1! :) Nice to see there will be improvments on loadtimes!

+ MiiAmigo on May 14th, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

Quick somebody… I got one of those codes for the Air Raid DLC. Question is, do I have to wait till the game is released to activate the code to download the goods or can I do it now?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

Yes. Wait till the 25th.

+ macling on May 14th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

YAY! shorter load times, glad I pre-ordered this

+ wolfzero1 on May 14th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

+ IceCreamBandit on May 14th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

Chuck you are, as usual, a beautiful man. We’d be lost without you XD

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Right backatcha IceCream!

+ ILOVEPLASTATION3 on May 14th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

Can you guys bundle Modnation Racers with LBP2? PLEASE!!! :P

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Good idea.

+ VintageOctopus on May 14th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

So in the demo, do we have the full track studio to fool around with? Or will there be limitations to it? (I assume there will be, but you didn’t seem to mention any.)

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 5:59 pm said:

From what I understand you got full functionality, but not all the props.

+ Darkxil on May 14th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

Just wondering if anywhere outside of America will be getting this demo.

Also, fair enough, Ratchet, Clank, Kratos, Nathan and Sackboy cant be created or shared online but can Mousetrap, Air Raid etc…? After all, parts that they consist of like the Cheese Wedge can be unlocked in game normally right?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

Nope, all those special Mods and Karts like Mousetrap and Air Raid can’t be unlocked or shared.

Canada and Europe should have the demo too.

+ laZardo on May 14th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

Will you make the user-made content from the beta servers available for download in the full version as well?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

Not confirmed if that’s possible yet.

+ acerazer1 on May 14th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

Good to hear about the patch, the way I see it, now there’s nothing not to like :)

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

I have to agree with you there acerazer.

+ WhiteF8ng on May 14th, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

About time. Don’t see why u guys waited until a week before the release.

I’ve been playing the PSP one for weeks now…

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 14th, 2010 at 6:03 pm said:

Guess you are warmed up!

+ BlazeKush420 on May 14th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

The game got a 4/5 on G4TV. Because of the SP AI, and the load times. Cant wait to play the demo/get the game.

+ station3fever on May 15th, 2010 at 7:09 am said:

Offline Split Screen Multiplayer,thank you finally. thank you for the option of online and offline (love offline) Now my friends can come over so we can play, plus i can see the look on their faces when i leave them in the dust or blast them to hell :)
(it really pisses me off when game makers make a game online only) i think they forget people do have live friends that come over to visit/play, not just virtual. Anyways i think this game is going to be a big hit as it looks very promising ” i mean KICK ASS” ;)

+ Makio-Da-Flash on May 15th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

this game is awesome played it at best buy it is a for sure buy

+ snake14492 on May 15th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

should i buy mdr or 3d dot game heroes,i wold apreciate an answer

+ Seahawk313 on May 15th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

woooohoooo, just pre-ordered on Amazon, and im getting a 250GB for my birthday, too much excitement, may faint.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on May 15th, 2010 at 9:45 pm said:

Happy Birthday. Nice present!

+ tbond22 on May 15th, 2010 at 6:56 pm said:

@ #117 I would say get both if u can. If you are a Zelda fan u will love 3D Dot Game Heroes. I played it for 7 hours so far and it flew by like it was an hour, plus the $39.99 price is cool too. ModNation should be fune too and then u have RDR coming out the following week. So many good games coming out in the next month.

+ Seahawk313 on May 15th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

@118, oh crap, i just realized that amazon said nothing about the ratchet and clank pre order goodness, was i too late :(

+ conda3 on May 15th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

Is there another way to get the pre-order characters if you can’t pre-order it. I ran out of money buying Super Street Fighter IV.

+ squallxlionheart on May 15th, 2010 at 7:21 pm said:

this game makes me love my PlayStation even more!

+ BlazeKush420 on May 16th, 2010 at 1:19 am said:

What about the BFBC2 Kit dlc for NA. It has been out in the UK for a while now.
first only xbox360 then comes out only uk for ps3. WTF.

+ none121ksa on May 16th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

+ dequanmorris on May 16th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

how to get playstation store on psp

+ Ozmafire101 on May 16th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

I just pre-ordered in full at Gamestop yesterday. The demo should help keep me tied over until it’s released ;)

+ Darkxil on May 16th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Another quick question if you have the time to answer please.

Does water now effect the recers in gameplay? e.g. slows them down a bit, splashing effects, rippling.
Cause I wanna make a Jungle track which is flooded and everyone knows water based tracks/levels etc… are the best.

Trying my luck with this question but can you give us some examples of what you can do with water in this game. Like can you make water canyons, water falls, massive water guns that blast you off the track or even just simple rain in the track.

Getting carried away, is it possible to make tracks at night time because from what ive seen you can only go as far as a sunset.

Thanks if you can answer any of these….

+ PunchoThaBoss on May 16th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Do this game game support custom soundtracks online and offline?

+ lPHOENIXZEROl on May 16th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

@128 Yes as it was already answered here (and in other MNR posts) but of course you can’t save your music to the tracks since that would cause all kinds of licensing issues.

Good to see the demo is coming in a few days though IDK how much play time I’ll actually have with it since it’s only going to be a week from the full game coming out and I’ll be spending a lot of my game time with RDR. Probably just enough time to get a head start making stuff with the creation tools and a race to two. Hopefully I’ll be able to make the track in the retail version I’ve been wanting to make since the beta but couldn’t due to certain limitations and restrictions (including time since I only had access to the beta for a couple days) that apparently improved upon a good bit since then.

+ blazin80 on May 16th, 2010 at 8:11 pm said:

As soon as this game was announced for the first time I immediately wanted it. Looks like I’ll order this one to go (Maybe I should order a good pun while I’m at it).

+ IcEcReAm_KiLleR on May 16th, 2010 at 8:38 pm said:

Yes 1 more day for the demo it decides if I get it or not it looks good but is it the test is in 1 day I already put 5 down have the rest 4 Tuesday demo better be good

+ WhiteF8ng on May 16th, 2010 at 8:59 pm said:

Oh I do believe I am “warmed up”.

Custom soundtracks eh? Not bad Chuck, Not bad at all…

+ nam-So on May 17th, 2010 at 12:34 am said:

+ Neevle on May 17th, 2010 at 7:11 am said:

Woww!!! This is so good! I was pretty annoyed that they had brought out the psp demo and not one for the ps3 and this is the news i have been waiting for!!
Its great that theyve included offline multiplayer, its often the inclusion of this that makes me buy a game. Is it also true that there is going to be 2 player online? So when you have your mate round, you can play against other people online together instead of going head to head? If so, thatd be awesome.
Also, is the demo going to be free in the EU? Because i dont want to pay for it and then have to pay again for the full game :/
thanks for the info!!! :D

+ magicman88999 on May 17th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

LOL im going to mold playing this demo! Just sitting there, tuning out everybody. I’ll kill just to get the DEMO!

+ deadeye126 on May 17th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

This looks awesome!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for this demo since i first heard about the game. Already preordered and got the air raid DLC. MNR FTW

+ juggalorider on May 17th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

@TH3_Hammer_29 what major games came out on the 18th? what RDR? thats 1 not 2, so whats the other game? it can’t be that good since i never heard of it

+ HIGH-RANK on May 18th, 2010 at 12:02 am said:

Cant wait for the demo! I already pro-ordered at Gamestop. See you guys online!

+ Neevle on May 18th, 2010 at 12:02 am said:

erm, its not there? :S
What time should it be there?

+ JAk_HAk on May 18th, 2010 at 3:10 am said:

It is coming today, right? I was hoping it’d be here at midnight, but I guess not. Boo

+ Raven1348 on May 18th, 2010 at 3:29 am said:

What time is it going to be online?

+ dizimatt74 on May 18th, 2010 at 3:38 am said:

is it here yet? I’m Australia, and it’s 20:35, will I be seeing it by the end of the night?

waiting in antici……………..

+ DJHEMING on May 18th, 2010 at 4:09 am said:

Hello fellow gamers

I have just remembered that the ModNation Racers Demo was on the playstation store and it is not. I dont know what has happend because so many people where wating for this and i am shocked that it’s not. You think it would be there. It is now 9:07 pm, 18th may. Reminding Sony / PlayStation Network that IT NEEDS TO BE THERE.

+ xXVyprstrykeXx on May 18th, 2010 at 4:57 am said:

PSN usually updates at 5pm PST so I don’t see any new content until I roll in from work since I’m EST. I really, really wanna check out the demo but I think I’ll be into Red Dead or Split/Second until the weekend…in which case there’d be no point in downloading the demo since the game will be here Tuesday morning. I can’t wait! I have a Drake code and I’ll have R&C from Amazon soon and I was able to get in on the Air Raid dlc too so I covered my bases on most of the DLC…just hoping for Mouse Trap as one of my mystery mods! This game is gonna be the bees knees! Still hoping to see a Naughty Dog Artist Spotlight : ) Kevin Butler = hilarious. I dunno if this is really even a possibility but while playing split-screen is it possible to be online as well so you 2 (or 4) are not only racing each other but 10 (or 8) others as well?

+ Tomm4118 on May 18th, 2010 at 5:23 am said:

Awwwwwwww……. Demo is still not on DX 7:22 am Cant wait anymore!!!!
What happened Chuck?

+ OveReAction on May 18th, 2010 at 5:32 am said:

Damn it. It’s only 12 hours remaining. X(

+ o0Smythe0o on May 18th, 2010 at 7:21 am said:

10:20 am Still waiting on the demo….boy if this thing doesnt show up soon people gonna start getting upset and stage a revolt! lol can’t wait til it shows up…

+ Gejost on May 18th, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

It’s still morning in the US. The demo will come.

+ Neevle on May 18th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

aw i hope it is coming soon. :( im in the uk (but have a us account as well) and it probably wont be until tomorrow in time here as it is 4.10 pm now

+ effin_eric on May 18th, 2010 at 8:21 am said:

So upset as I have been looking forward to this game all year and my PS3 died last week (no longer reads discs). I’ll be playing the demo for a long time.