No Man's Sky

Hustle Kings: Patch and Snooker Pack Coming Soon to PS3

Michael Pulst's Avatar + Posted by Michael Pulst on May 19, 2010 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Hi Everyone! For all you Hustle Kings out there, we have two great bits of news for you.

Firstly, on May 19th a new patch will be made available which contains the following features and changes:

• Improved Breaking! Instead of the rack being perfectly spaced every time, a very slight variance has been introduced between the balls which causes almost every break to be different.
  • You can now replay the shots that are played in attract mode.
  • You’ll see more stats during loading screens.
  • Game options can be modified in online rooms.
  • You can watch other people’s matches in the all new Spectator Mode!
  • Plus a new loading icon, viewing player’s profiles during an online match, and more.

But that’s not all, there is a brand new chalk coming to the in-game store: The Second Sight chalk allows you to see the path of an additional ball… really helpful on those tough trickshots and plants.

Hustle Kings Snooker Pack for PS3

Finally (and the best bit in my opinion) is that the Hustle Kings Snooker Pack will be launched for PS3 on June 8th. Included in this great pack is a brand new environment, new ball set, with the full Snooker rules and scoring. As well as traditional Snooker, if you get this pack you will also get an offline tournament mode, more music, and a brand new game mode called “Snooker6” where there are only 6 red balls allowing for a much quicker game.

Hustle Kings Snooker Pack for PS3

The Snooker Pack will be available for $2.99 and the full game of Hustle Kings is required prior to installing the Snooker Pack. Once you get the Snooker Pack there will also be a batch of new trophies for you to try and unlock. To help with this we have included a free pack of Eagle Eye chalk if you purchase the Snooker pack! Overall I have really enjoyed the time I have spent playing snooker and can’t wait to get online to pit my skills against the rest of the community!

Since the Snooker game type of billiards isn’t quite as popular here in the US, I wanted to give a very brief overview into the game. May I present, The Brief Intro into the World of Snooker!

Snooker is a completely different style of game from how a game of pool is traditionally thought of in the US. It has different balls placed in a new layout, is played on a different table, and the games last much longer. Snooker tables are much bigger (approximately 6ft by 12ft) and they have rounded pocket corners.

Each colored ball has a specific point value. Red (1 point), Yellow (2 points), Green (3 points), Brown (4 points), Blue (5 points), Pink (6 points), Black (7 points).

The ball placement is as shown in the following image:

Hustle Kings Snooker Pack for PS3

How to score points in Snooker:
The player must first pocket a red ball for one point and the ball is then left off the table. Then you must pocket a ball colored other then red. The point value of that colored ball is awarded to you and then that ball is placed back on the table at its original placement point. Then you pocket a red ball and alternate pocketing between the two groups of colors (Reds and all the others) until all the red balls are pocketed. Now you must pocket the remaining balls in their point order so, Yellow followed by Green, Brown, Blue, Pink and finally Black. When you have more points than there are left on the table you can then call that frame.

In an ideal world with a perfectly skilled player (aka. someone besides myself) you would pocket a red followed by the black ball and continue that until all the red balls are off the table. That would give you 8 points each cycle (1 point for the red plus 7 for the Black).

Fouls:
The minimum penalty is always four points. So should you scratch the cue ball, then you concede 4 points to the other player. If you pocket a ball of the wrong color you concede at minimum four points to the other player. If you incorrectly pocket a ball with a point value greater than four then you concede the point value of that ball to the other player instead of the minimum four points. If you strike a ball of the wrong color first and pocket a different colored ball, you then concede the minimum penalty or the value of that ball.

That in a nutshell is the game of Snooker. It’s an extremely challenging type of game style in billiards. Although it is really rewarding to play due to the increased amount of strategy needed to play the game. A “give-away” hint for you… don’t hit a non-red ball if you are breaking. I learned that one the hard way and gave away 6 points to my opponent for striking the pink ball my first time playing. Oops.

We hope you enjoy the new features as much as we do and we’ll see you online!

+ bdavid81 on May 19th, 2010 at 7:09 am said:

Very awesome! I love Hustle Kings, wonderfully polished game.

+ Sindred on May 19th, 2010 at 7:11 am said:

Sounds complicated but worth a shot. Thanks for the free voice chat update. Made a world of difference.

+ KSPRAYDAD on May 19th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

Awesome news about Snooker. You have my $2.99

+ jiggles on May 19th, 2010 at 7:14 am said:

Will the Snooker pack be available in all territories at the sa,e time?

I’m guessing the whole point in adding it was to silence the cries of the Brits. :D

+ Aspherex on May 19th, 2010 at 7:15 am said:

I love snooker, never understood why it’s not played in the US. Great addition to this game!

+ artform-fazeone on May 19th, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

Hustle Kings is truly the billiards game of the year!! a 10 out 10… THE FAZEONES LOUNGE

+ Enforcer_X on May 19th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

Consider it already purchased!
Looks forward to the update on breaking and racking.

Look forward to snooker, never played it before but it sounds fun!

+ pgsdi on May 19th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

VooFoo Studios is top notch! Awesome support for an even more awesome pool game.

+ skubik on May 19th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

Snooker is the best game when it comes to “billiard-like games” and it´s ultimate experience (watching or playing). Rules looks complicated at first sight, but they´re not and when you finish few games you get into it and trust me, if you´re pool fan and get into snooker … you´ll never came back to classic pool.

+ tenshin78 on May 19th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Very welcome update, specially the breaking one, I was actually tired of playing the same game over and over, because the ball arrangement was always the same after the break, and this Snooker sounds like a lot of fun, you have my money!

+ mauaus on May 19th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Did that voice and video chat come out for this game?

Michael Pulst's Avatar

+ Michael Pulst on May 19th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Yep. Chat is in. It can be enabled in the options for your profile.

+ Nepraos on May 19th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Nice! I used to play snooker at my buddy’s place nearly everyday. To be honest, it’s been such a long time since I’ve played that I’ve forgotten most of the rules.

However, I do remember that I really liked the challenge of the game and the tables. Pocketing each ball on Snooker tables were much more satisfying, considering the greater accuracy required to sink a ball than it would on a typical pool table.

Anyway, thanks for this! I will be getting this as soon as it hits the PSN Store.

+ jimmyfoxhound on May 19th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Nice, I really enjoy this game! I’ll keep an eye out for this!

+ packobert on May 19th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

There you go again, twisting my arm to get another PSN card.

+ KidCommando on May 19th, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

I lost interest in this game when I heard about the chalk DLC. Trading real dollars for in game ‘skills’ is pathetic. I don’t care how little the benifit or cost, I’m just not down with that.

You guys truly are the “Hustle Kings”…in a non-respectable kinda way; congrats!

+ eatthemall on May 19th, 2010 at 8:00 am said:

Thanks for the free voice chat update.

+ jh6269 on May 19th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

Oh man, thanks for listening to our request and getting this out so quickly! You guys are so awesome! I wish the Snooker pack were coming next week!

I love you guys :)

+ Anti-Steven on May 19th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

Cool game, just wish it wasn’t so hard. I guess it’s like Gran Turismo, skill is really important, but I don’t have enough.

+ RoBo-O-G on May 19th, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

praise the lord! I’ve been wishing for this ever since I bought hustle kings, 1 of my fave psn games, everyone should buy it!

+ Moosehole on May 19th, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

Wait, so you’re not fixing the voice chat in this patch? Whenever I play online when I turn my headset on I hear game through my headset. Music, sound effects, everything. I use the Sony bluetooth headset. Seriously if you guys haven’t fixed this its just inexcuseable.

+ BalramRules on May 19th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

wait, is there a ps home space for this game or is it upcomin??

+ Watchmann on May 19th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

I would have purchased this game by now, but I have issues with $ for cheat chalk. There are plenty of other ways to monetize a game (such as what you’re doing with this upcoming snooker pack), but fee for cheats is certainly not one of them. Very unfortunate.

+ Nynja on May 19th, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

@Watchmann

I agree. Those who do not spend extra on the game instantly have a handicap when playing online with someone who has. This is no different than having cars or guns only available through micro-transactions.

I hate micro-transactions. Games that have features like this only break online gameplay.

Michael Pulst's Avatar

+ Michael Pulst on May 19th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

In online play you have the option of having games that will not allow the use of special chalks. So then everyone in the game must use the standard blue chalk. It helps balance things out.

+ Watchmann on May 19th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

@Nynja

Microtransactions per se aren’t a problem, it depends very much on how they’re implemented. Breaking online gameplay, as you suggest, is where I have to draw the line. Heck, the devs could have charged for the “whacky” tables they released recently for free and I would have been fine with that. It’s unfortunate, as from what I’ve seen of the game, it looks pretty good. Oh well.

+ dragon_frost on May 19th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Are they gonna add PlayStation move & 3D support & can you use custom music tracks?

+ Crd78 on May 19th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Now its time for BUMPER POOL to be added!

+ zombie9 on May 19th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

@dragon_frost
Yes in-game music has been there since day one.
About the move I guess we will have to wait and see.
Game is Cool if you like pool.

+ LUGIEZ on May 19th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

Looks like I’ll give this game a 2nd chance. 1st 2 times I played online I got beat without ever getting a shot off! real fun!

+ polo155 on May 19th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

That is a nice patch and features thanks… this game rocks, i got it day one, good game for sure all my peeps have it.

+ plaztiksyke on May 19th, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

I’ve been really enjoying Hustle Kings. I really like the ‘theme’ song!

Snooker is interesting! Will the new DLC have any new music or audio assets? Will they be 24-bit and/or losslessly compressed? Would be awesome to hear the braeking of the balls in a more realistic dynamic range.

Any other graphical or audio engine/asset enhancements in the DLC?

+ polo155 on May 19th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Yooo Mike, make a HOME Personal Space with a table, wow!! I’ll donate some music :)

+ Mosh_Pit on May 19th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

@ KidCommando, You can turn the special chalk off when you create your lobby, so no one can use them in your game.

+ Conrad_Max on May 19th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

I am going to Love the new breaking. It sure will make the game more real for those of us used to playing on a real table.

+ lyndonAP on May 19th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

Snooker at last! :-) Going to have to pick up the cue again now, haven’t played for a while.

+ StarFoxMania on May 19th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

THANK THANK THANK YOU very much for the wonderful announcement. I have been waiting so eagerly for this :) $2.99 w00t? What a steal? Snooker will be wonderful on this game, when playing online with no special chalks and no aiming line :) I predict at least 1 hour-long matches.

+ BRIT-KO on May 19th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Snooker is coming, thank you so much for listening to us from both the official PS Forums & on here, you will be making a great game even better, thanks again for listening.

Is the Snooker coming on 19th May too?

+ BRIT-KO on May 19th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Online Snooker matches too, that’s brilliant, I seriously can’t wait till 8th June 2010.

+ GGCAN on May 19th, 2010 at 5:35 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up Michael.

Love this game and the continuing support for it.

+ Skant on May 20th, 2010 at 1:15 am said:

I never even tried the online as soon as I saw the cheat chalk for RL money stuff.

That’s low. Real low.

I thought Electronic Arts was the only one that did that kind of thing.

+ fastfret on May 20th, 2010 at 2:04 am said:

Thanks for the update Mike, updated last night – nice work guys! The snooker screenshots look amazing, as does the environment and looks even more detailed than before. I think the physics were nailed in HK so this promises to be extremely good indeed… and for just $2.99, or a couple of quid here in the UK?! Bargin – so first hand looks to be incredibly good value too. Roll on 8th eh ppl ;) Thanks to John also for answering inquiries so quick recently (we didn’t have too long wait did we lol). So new trophies eh?… 147 break dare we ask?! Keep flyin the flag VooFoo

+ phade2blaq on May 20th, 2010 at 3:55 am said:

I’ll have to get the update and the new dlc pack when I get my PS3 back from Sony repair ! It stopped loading discs for some odd reason and I’ve only had it since December 2009 ! Hmmm ! Shades of my faulty PS2 not reading discs a month after purchase !

+ Mr_Burger on May 20th, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

Anyone having connection errors when starting an online match. I can start a match when challenged but having errors when I challenge someone. Seems to have started when patch was installed. If anyone has any ideas let me know. **I get the Disconnect error**

Mr_Burger

+ dr_sasquatch on May 21st, 2010 at 11:05 am said:

Please add an option that makes snookering your opponent illegal unless you’ve hit one cushion first. It would make HK more authentic, fair, enjoyable.

+ Venjense on May 22nd, 2010 at 1:08 am said:

Can’t wait this is without a doubt one of the better downloadable games.
I did get suckered into getting the “special” chalk only to find out you have a limited amount uses(don’t get it unless you want to have to buy more when you run out….though it is nice to use in career mode for a little extra help)
It would be nice if you could use your HKC to trade for the chalk…..hopefully they work on that.

+ Yz-Brd on May 29th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

HUSTLE KINGS….best pool game i have played.I hope there will be more crazy tables and lots more tunes(variety is nice).Has anyone won survivor game on 4th trophy.Over 11000 tries,only got down to 3 balls left on table.VERY tough.Keep up the good work. 10 out of 10.

+ Mr_Burger on June 3rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Is the pack available in Canada yet as I cannot find it on the store?

+ phade2blaq on June 7th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

Hustle kings is a good pool game but it isn’t the best pool game I’ve played ! The ball physics seem a bit off to me especially on breaks ! The amount of HK credits needed to make some purchases is ridiculously high and outrageous !

How can I get more second sight chalk !