Driveclub

LittleBigPlanet 2 – The LittleBigFAQ

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on May 20, 2010 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Greetings fellow Sackboys! With the announcement of LittleBigPlanet 2 last week, we know you have a ton of questions for us. Add to that, all the new PLAY elements, CREATE tools and SHARE evolutions we want to tell you about. So, we thought we’d answer a lot of the repeating questions we’ve seen on all the web comments out there. In weeks to come, expect more and more detailed tid-bits, new LBP2 news, special announcements and other good stuff from our team…

lbp2

Backwards Compatibility

Are the LittleBigPlanet DLC costumes going to be compatible with LBP2?

Yes, any LBP1 costumes purchased on the PlayStation Store will be compatible with LittleBigPlanet 2 – We can’t wait to see you what you guys do with the various costumes combined with the new cinematic tools!

I hope this is on a FAQ – are the first LBP and GOTY edition levels going to be included with LBP2?

The wonderfully fun LBP1 story levels will remain unique to its Blu-ray disc, but you’ll see familiar elements/tools/items as part of the foundation for LittleBigPlanet 2. And while the community levels will be unique to the GOTY edition – hopefully if you guys vote for us again, you’ll see something similar in the future…

Will any of the new costume DLC that will be released after LBP2 is released be compatable with the first game?

LittleBigPlanet 2 has been redesigned with a completely new graphics engine, so costumes and upcoming DLC designed for LittleBigPlanet 2 will not be compatible for LBP1 players.

Will all the costumes/stickers/decoration/DLC we collected in LBP1 be usable in LBP2?

We’re working hard to ensure that everything you’ve collected from LittleBigPlanet can be used in the new game. Certainly anything you’ve picked up from the PSN Store will be fully present and correct in LittleBigPlanet 2, the only time something might not quite work perfectly is if it has been created by another player using a ‘glitched’ object of some kind. Even then we’re optimistic that all of the existing content you’ve collected will continue to work.

DLC

Any idea when we’ll be getting that Sephiroth skin?

Nothing confirmed yet, but don’t worry we still have this in our plans…

Whatever happened to the Marvel Comics themed costume pack that was supposed to come out a year or so ago? I REALLY wanted a Wolverine Sackboy and it’s quite disheartening that something so cool was announced and shown and then never mentioned again.

We announced the partnership at Comic-Con last year (but no release date). It takes a bit of production time to get everything lined up, but hopefully you’ll hear some announcements soon.

Will LBP2 include from launch day all the DLC of LBP1? Including costumes level packs and all that good stuff?

Because of the backwards compatibility for LBP1 DLC, all the costumes on the PlayStation Store will still be available for purchase. Expect to see a ton more content in the next few months, including the eventual LittleBigPlanet 2 DLC.

Future Tech

Will it be in 720p or 1080p?

LittleBigPlanet 2 is getting a completely new graphical overhaul, so stay tuned for a future LittleBigPlanet 2 post, where we’ll cover off on more specifics like this.

PLAY elements

Sackboy, no matter what costumes he wears still looks like Sackboy in LBP1, seeing the new costumes in LBP2 has this idea been lost?

Some of the new costumes we’ve shown for LittleBigPlanet 2 are certainly unconventional, but then Sackboy has an eclectic wardrobe taste. At the end of the day however, he’s still Sackboy and we’ll be sticking close to making him look that way no matter what the costume.

Will Stephen Fry be narrating it again?

Yes, your (and our) favorite narrator will be back for LittleBigPlanet 2.

Will this game have the 50 levels single player like the first game or is this just a big create kit?

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a whole new game, so just like the original you get a full storyline for Sackboy to play thru. Add to that the endless possibilities of the evolved Create and Share modes, where you’ll see completely different gameplay experiences in the community levels.

CREATE tools

Can I electrify/set things on fire using switches and logic? What has happened to emitters in LBP2? Are they much easier to use? Has dissolve material changed? How many layers will there be and what different types?

Expect some lots more details about CREATE mode at this year’s E3.

I heard of custom Voice Acting. Confirm or Deny.

Confirm!

Sackbots

Does Sackbot have to look like a robot or can I change his form to any creature?

Nope, Sackbots are totally customizable, from their reactions to their clothing/skins.

Just to double check, we’ll be able to have evil Sackboys as bad guys?

There’s no such thing as an evil Sackboy – just some mischievious ones…Sackbots, on the other hand, can have a mind of their own.

Can you program Sackbots to activate swithces? *Example* giving them jobs on a pirate ship.

Stay tuned, we have a specific “Sackbots” feature planned in an upcoming LittleBigPlanet 2 post – we just hope you provide your Pirate Sackbots the proper minimum wages :)

General

I just saw the LBP2 box art pop up on Twitter…Why didn’t you guys post it here?

Glad you noticed, but don’t get too attached to that piece of art – It’s something we put together from the artwork created for an exclusive EDGE Magazine cover article. And while we love it, its definitely NOT final box art.

Are you guys going to be at E3? I hope so, every gamer in the world needs to see LBP2!

Of course we’ll be at E3, the bigger question is…will you?

Will there be a Sackboy costume contest again?

I sure hope so, we had so many great entries last time. And now that we have more fans and more people familiar with what can be done, we can’t imagine how creative you guys can get. Stay tuned.

Will there be any pre-order goodies?

Yup. Expect announcements later down the line. We have to make sure all the “i”s are dotted and “t”s are crossed.

What is the name of the song on the video. I can’t get it out of my mind!

The song “Sleepyhead” is from the group Passion Pit. And we’re glad you all like it!

Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions out there, if not, feel free to ask and we’ll start up another FAQ session…

+ ynp7 on May 20th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

Sweet info. Any chance we’ll finally get that first week t-shirt for Sackboy in the States? I never saw it show up on the Playstation Store.

+ SykoTech on May 20th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Cool.

If Sony’s going to do the “charts and graphs” thing at E3, I hope they use LBP 2 to make it entertaining.

+ D-BOY345 on May 20th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

can we still play our own music.if so can our friends hear it,and can we put it in the levels we make

+ iRHokage on May 20th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

Love it. Can’t wait!

+ Fluidshine on May 20th, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

OMG i can not wait for this game!!! I sure hope there is going to be special edition!

+ SLEDGE_ on May 20th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

Haha!
Yes, this will be awesome :D really looking forward to LBP 2 :)
How many sackbots can you have in 1 level?
I like to know if I can use them as Pesants as well.
That can “Talk” instead of a cut out board of a figure giving sackboy “missions” :p

+ TubaDude49 on May 20th, 2010 at 1:09 pm said:

Can a sackbot have the information of what costume a player is wearing? Like some sort of scanner over the player. Once the costume was scanned, several “clones” would emerge and scatter across the level. Just wanted to know if that was possible

+ Hradekal on May 20th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

You guys are quickly becoming my favorite developer. Unlike a lot in this business, you sure know exactly how to make a sequel. Honestly I am just stunned. When playing LBP I kept thinking “man it would be great if they did (insert idea here)” and low and behold it is all becoming a reality. If only God could encompass all of your great qualities and embody it into one hott female, I would never ask for another thing again.

+ cybershinigami87 on May 20th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

I only have one question. Is their anyway to adjust the physics? I really want to make a precise platformer but I can’t with the floaty physics.

+ exor1000 on May 20th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

I agree with Mr_Rue’s question

“Will the DLC included on LBP:GOTY such as the Metal Gear Solid Pack or the Monster Pack transfer over to LBP2?”

and i would really like to know if it is or not.

+ MKJ93 on May 20th, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

This is sooooooo sweeet, I CANT WAIT!

+ N_8_ on May 20th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

@HatmanTc – “Are you guys and gals at MM afraid that this sets the bar so high it will be hard to top when it comes time to think up ideas for LBP3″

You mean LBP3D right?

+ Andrew_1337 on May 20th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

Will the old music be returning? Especially “Get it Together”, that rocked!

+ starBlinky01 on May 20th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

I need to know.. how many single player levels will there be?

I really really really hope it will be more then 50

+ VixDiesel on May 20th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

For the love of all things sacky, please DO NOT include any online trophies like get hearted 50 times or whatever. Stick to story related stuff or other stuff that won’t end up creating another million levels of “get x trophies in x seconds” or “H4H” and all that other crap. This stuff ruined the creation aspect the first time around. Sure, there may be something like two million levels out there but 1.9 million of them suck.

+ Zee_009 on May 20th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

i was going to buy the first one but if the demo was any indicator i wouldn’t like it :-(

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on May 21st, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

Bummer. Well at least giver LBP2 a chance when it comes out.

+ Midgetguy on May 20th, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

I’m hoping there’s an over-haul to the music creation tools…

I’m optomistic about LBP2 though.

=)

+ R1LEY62 on May 20th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

Hey Mark, I have a WONDERFUL pre-order costume in mind for you, a golden SpaceSuit! :D

+ Rhino136 on May 20th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

Wait does that mean that if I have not bought the MGS stuff and water pack, that I won’t be able to create stuff using water and stuff that shoots energy projectiles? In simpler terms, LBP2 won’t have water, the paintball gun or other additions included in packs unless I buy them?

+ MLZ911 on May 20th, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

simply awesome

+ angelspawn77 on May 20th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

lbp2 will be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!! MM you guys are just plain awesome!

+ Carl-G on May 20th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

SOOOOOO much good stuff on the PS3 and coming! :P PlayStation is the BEST:)

+ Permafry_42 on May 20th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Will there be ModNation Racers DLC in LBP2?

Will LBP2 have customizable playlists?

Will the levels made for LBP1 AFTER the release of LBP2 still be available for LBP2?

Will LBP@ be coming to the PSP/PSP2 eventually?

Can GIANT ENEMY CRAB have a cameo in LBP2?

Can we PLEASE have some Ratchet and Clank DLC?

What precisely is only possible through a new physical game?

Can you please release a poster for LBP2?

+ Permafry_42 on May 20th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

Oh yeah! Can Toy story PLEASE get some DLC in LBP2!?

+ Livehunter187 on May 20th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

(Will lbp2 Have a Collectors Edition)

If so would you announce at E3

+ explosive78 on May 20th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Cant wait to see what you guys have to say at e3

+ Livehunter187 on May 20th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

(One more question)

In lbp2 will there be a fire hose tool to fill up small pools with water so we dont have to have a whole level of water just to make a small pond, creek, or just a small water trap…

+ Mickice on May 20th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Without FREE online there really couldn’t be a Play.Create.Share. structure.

+ footballrule on May 20th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Thanks for the FAQ! Glad to see a lot of questions answered. My question is… Will this game have a Beta later on this year?

+ Hooligantuan on May 20th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

Backwards Compatibility with LBP1 was a great decision.

When LBP2 was announced, I had a good feeling you all would do this, since there are people who have dropped a lot of money on DLC over LBP1′s life. Me, I’ve dropped a good $30 or so, but I know guys that have spent well over $100. It’s great to see we won’t be separated from this great content when the new hotness arrives!

+ R1LEY62 on May 20th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

@ Mickice You mean the Playstation Network Subscription thing? God I hope that never happens. :’(

+ darthlego on May 20th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

I would like to know if the crown can still be won in LBP 2.

+ SukiNihon on May 20th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

is there going to be a programming/scripting language?

+ koolman300 on May 20th, 2010 at 6:49 pm said:

Will the music from the original be carried over into LBP2?

+ KING-BLAKE on May 20th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

omg i cant wait till LBP2 comes out im goin to have so much fun with all the new things but the one thing im going to have the most fun with is the sackbot :D

+ KING-BLAKE on May 20th, 2010 at 7:05 pm said:

oh one more thing is there goin to be a beta for LBP2? if so when?

+ CVTURBO on May 20th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

yay thank for answering my question cant wait for LBP2!

+ LilBig47 on May 20th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

Did the maximum stickers on a sackboy change?

+ MikLe- on May 20th, 2010 at 7:42 pm said:

how will water work out and can we have a hose tool so we can put water in specific locations?

+ spideyal on May 20th, 2010 at 8:02 pm said:

This game is going to be amazing.
So stoked for it!

+ nino1911 on May 20th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

what i liked to know if theres gonna be weather effect like snow rain that would be cool

+ Kchow23 on May 20th, 2010 at 8:29 pm said:

can’t wait to hear more MM you guys rock

+ dragongamer5894 on May 20th, 2010 at 9:01 pm said:

Question: If you have the GOTY edition, will the DLC costumes/pack in the game (Like the Metal Gear Solid Pack) be transfered in the game?

+ Psyschock on May 21st, 2010 at 4:20 am said:

Will the GOTY edition of LBP1 ever come out in the rest of Europe?? (not just the UK)

+ barnaclejoe on May 21st, 2010 at 6:50 am said:

I really want to congratulate you MM…

…I thought that with LittleBigPlanet.. and ALL THE LEVELS… I could never see a day when you’d make any money selling a sequel.

…but then I watched the trailer.

Bravo! Some big changes in there, and it only further opens up what is possible.

I’m going to hope for 720 or 1080p as well, just because that would be fantastic.

Not to mention this things going to have built-in Move support that’s going to blow everyone’s minds. :)

+ Nray69 on May 21st, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

I want to know if the search methods for community levels have been improved. because it only favored levels that had been played before. ex: A level that I published over 2 months ago has a 5 stars rate, but was only played 10 times. so it never shows up in the :highest rated categorie.It can be pretty frustrating if you try to collect all trophies. and so we are left begging for others to play our levels

So, has it been randomized is what I ask.

p.s. pleeeeeeeaaaase play Nray69 levels so I can get my creators trophies :P

+ CoreWuzHere on May 21st, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

I love the music in littlebigplanet, but it would be cool to have some of my own music for my levels. Is that possible in littlebigplanet 2?

+ KBling on May 21st, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

Okay so you mentioned that DLC will transfer over to LBP2… but what about the DLC that’s sort of “locked on” to the GOTY edition of the game? Will we still have that in LBP2? (IE animals, metal gear solid, etc etc.)

+ MadMeat001 on May 21st, 2010 at 9:06 am said:

YAY THANKS MEDIA MOLECULE I GOT THE MR MOLECULE STICKER, AND YOU WROTE yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss you won! love it man!