Uncharted 4

May 24

ModNation Monday: 6 Reasons Why This Game Rocks!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Chuck Lacson on May 24, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Greetings and happy “OMG we are launching tomorrow” ModNation Monday!

If you are like me, you’re still a bit dazed from last night’s LOST season finale (anyone else still confused?). But I’m still uber-stoked that everyone will finally get their hands on ModNation Racers TOMORROW on both PS3 and PSP!

Actually playing the final version of the game you’ve been working on for so many months is probably the best part of being in this incredible industry. That’s how I spent my weekend and that’s when I was reminded of why I love playing this game (and why the Photo Mode rocks!).

*Please excuse my “so-so” screen shots. I’m a racer, not a photographer!

#1 The Chuck Wagon

ModNation Racers for PS3

It’s not sexy, it’s not even that cool, but it’s MINE. There is no feeling like making and racing your own kart, and it’s 100% yours. Look out for this kart online, you’ll both know who to aim your weapon at. If it passes you up, you’ll know who just smoked you!

#2 Mini-Me

ModNation Racers for PS3ModNation Racers for PS3

Some racers will make their favorite characters, some will think of some completely original creations of their own. But if you’re like me, you will put yourself in the game so when you showboat, you can say, “THAT’S ME!”

#3 Bringing the Hurt (and avoiding it too!)

ModNation Racers for PS3

We’ve covered this subject in past blog posts, but the weapons are a BLAST (see what I did there?). While I love raining down the pain in a well-timed Bolt Storm or dropping a well-placed mine right in front of a tailgater, there is a great feeling hitting my shields just at the right moment to avoid an attack or dodging a nasty missile like this.

#4 Attitude Adjustment

ModNation Racers for PS3

What I love about ModNation Racers is that as soon as you get cocky, the game will remind you of your mistake. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are, there is always someone better, or who has a weapon ready to trigger. As soon as I got online I learned the hard way. Ouch! No matter how much time I’ve spent with the game, there are some great racers out there.

#5 Trading Paint

ModNation Racers for PS3

While weapons are fun, the art of the sideswipe is a beautiful thing. Lining up next to a racer, tapping your right analog stick just at the right time, and smacking your competion into railing (…or off a very high cliff) is pure bliss.

#6 Fire From My Tires

ModNation Racers for PS3

Drifting is huge source of joy in this game, but when you drift long enough, your tires ignite and light up the road. Best Back to the Future tribute ever.

Those are just a few things I dig about ModNation Racers, and I’m pretty certain you will too TOMORROW! Notice I didn’t even touch track creation, which is probably the most revolutionary thing about the game, but we have to save some things for later. :)

Stay tuned for a Launch Day post tomorrow from Kyle Zundel, the game’s producer, to get some Race Day tips and to see our launch trailer. And we’ve got more good stuff to come in following ModNation Mondays, including new Artist Spotlights. Until then…

ModNation Racers for PS3

See you online!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Spinout209 on May 24th, 2010 at 6:44 pm said:

Midnight launches are so awesome, Gamestop for the win!

+ blazinglightning on May 24th, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

Looks sweet! Can you customize the button layout?

+ JAk_HAk on May 24th, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

Thought you might also like to know that I’m buying three extra controllers tonight just for this game. Yes, my wallet is taking a serious blow. Yes, I am perfectly fine by it!

+ Dennis_Death on May 24th, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

I made A sasuke mod,mario,and goku!! just the demo cant wait till i play with them tomorrow!!

+ gdogg666 on May 24th, 2010 at 6:51 pm said:

custom soundtrack for the psp as well?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:05 am said:

Good question, I’ll have to ask.

+ Koopa777 on May 24th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

It may not have U2-like graphics, fancy physics, etc., but it does have something that a lot of games lack. PURE FUN! I LOVE these Play Create Share games, for it gives infinite replayability. I have $8 out of $60, so I’ll get to buying it eventually lol. More devs need to be like UFG and Avalanche, and make FUN games, not FANCY games

+ Midiboy on May 24th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Super excited for this game, Chuck. I have twin 10 year old daughters and they absolutely LOVE making tracks and it’s so stupid easy to make awesome tracks…you should see the tracks they have made.

My only “gripe” as it were is that I pre-ordered it from Amazon to get Ratchet, and the day I ordered it, they listed it in the morning but by the time I got home (can’t order it from my work computer), they took away the DLC. I would have ordered it from Gamestop, but I really don’t like God Of War (no offense…it’s just not my thing…and my daughters are too young for that kind of game). Then I was going to pre-order it from Best Buy, but they said they don’t have any Nathan Drakes left either. Yes, I know I shouldn’t have waited, but why does Gamestop still offer pre-order DLC when Amazon and Best Buy do not?

Why do they limit it? Especially when I pre-ordered it last week? Will there be a way for me to get Ratchet? Even if I have to suck it up and pay for it?

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:08 am said:

That is awesome! Can’t wait to see their work. (gamers get younger everyday!)

I can’t believe they ran out of Nathan Drakes. We gave them a ton. Each retailer has different rules, I with I could answer that for you.

Ratchet is Amazon only, but who knows, it might end up on PSN one day. Till then your daughters can make their own Mods!

(My lady just made hers! So proud.)

+ BlackMoney18 on May 24th, 2010 at 7:26 pm said:

lol ok Chuck we will just have to wait and see.

+ homeboy79 on May 24th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

Sorry, I meant the SERIES finale. One can only hope that modnation racers is as EPIC!

+ Mayhem_21 on May 24th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

thanks for the feedback now i HAVE to go to the midnight release thanks for the fiest of many sleepless nights. =)

+ MiDnIgHtVeLoCiTy on May 24th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

I was really looking forward to playing tomorrow, before my ps3 screwed up again! Its the third time this year and it’s not even my fault! So I have to wait an extra week to play this game, even though im picking it up tomorrow! LAME!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:12 am said:

1-800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY), live rep support M-SAT 6am-8pm PST!

+ jacob-813 on May 24th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

Yah!! Finally pre ordered !!! Traded in some games I don’t play and got $48 For them!!! That plus recycling got me the game 1st race will be online with my own awsome kart!!!

Ps. Can you use the demo mods in the full version? I don’t want to recreate mine again.

Thnx Chuck for keeping me knowing all there is to know about modnation racers
thnx again!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:15 am said:

Yup! They will be all be waiting for you when you boot up the full copy.

Happy to help!

+ Trexroarr on May 24th, 2010 at 7:58 pm said:

Hey Chuck! Epic ‘Chuck Wagon’ and ‘Chuck Mod’! I can’t wait to download them tomorrow! I got two questions for ya.

1) Will the Pre-Order Bonuses ever be released as DLC and we just don’t know when yet, OR do we not even know if they will be up as DLC at all?

2) If we get more than one voucher for the Mystery Mod Packs, are we guarenteed to get different packs when we redeem them? Is it even possible to redeem more than one? Sometimes my local GameStop has extra stuff like that, so I get a bit extra when I pick up my pre-orders. Its nice to know people in high places. lol

Thanks for the answers, and I can’t wait to see you out there on the track! :D

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:22 am said:

1) Possibly, but I don’t know for sure yet.

2) It’s all random. If you got an extra voucher, you might get a different one or the same. Good luck Mr. Big Stuff.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on May 24th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

@ Chuck yeah that’s definitely level 3 weapon directed at UFG from Target LOL Target’s a REBEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on May 24th, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

@ midiboy just go to gamestop the kratos kart isn’t that bad ( I wanted the bestbuy one) but I’m fine with gs plus you get better customer service and whats the difference between uncharted and GOW LOL

+ gdogg666 on May 24th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

hey chuck i was wondering will the download from the psn be able to work with the umd version of the game? cus one thing ive read is that sum games that r both umd and download dont work together when online

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:27 am said:

nope. :(

+ Chuck Lacson on May 26th, 2010 at 8:53 am said:

CORRECTION- I think I misunderstood your question. The final PSN Download version of MNR PSP WILL work with the UMD verion for online play.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on May 24th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

@ Chuck will the game have day one dlc and do you need an update to play your stuff from the demo also it’s going to be hard deciding whitch one to play: super mario galaxy 2 or MNR well then again I guess only one lets you get hit and launch missiles at the same time

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:29 am said:

There will be an update that will let you get your demo creations as soon as you boot the game. It will be a tough decision. Both great games, but you are right. Only one lets you make tracks too! :)

+ remanutd5 on May 24th, 2010 at 9:24 pm said:

what time ModNation Racers psp will be available on the store? man i want to play it now !!! lol

+ letshopehere on May 24th, 2010 at 9:25 pm said:

Pretty Awesome,but are you part of Modnation racers’ company?I pre-ordered it and call of duty black ops.I’m excited,very excited,but will the PSN make any purchasable add-on content?Also will we be able to play as the characters we pre order as by buying them in the playstation store like sackboy,Kratos,Nathan Drake?Because i want to play as some of them though i can already play as ratchet and clank because i pre-ordered modnation racers from amazon.com.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:31 am said:

There will be MNR DLC to be sure, but not sure if the pre-order mods will be on sale yet. Sorry!

+ playnation on May 24th, 2010 at 9:27 pm said:

hey chuck,
are those pre order bonuses gonna come out as dlc later? because not everyone uses gamestop, amazon, ect. there’s people like me who go to mom and pop video game shops and we miss out on these awesome extras! i understand that it’s buisness but common don’t leave people out!

+ Maluraq on May 24th, 2010 at 9:30 pm said:

I have four tracks ready to go with lots of playtesting by the family as soon as I get the full version so I can share them.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:31 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ WhiteF8ng on May 24th, 2010 at 11:10 pm said:

Got mine already! I love midnight openings!
NOw the question is which has to wait for the morning? MNR or UFC? Eh…screw it MNR FTW!!! LOL…gtg… let me stop while I’m ahead…

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on May 24th, 2010 at 11:17 pm said:

This game is really great. With games like this and Uncharted 2, I have had all my lost faith in PlayStation restored. If this had been a PS3 launch title then Mario would be bowing his little moustached head in shame right now, people would have been saying that PSN was superior to Live because of Play.Create.Share, and PS3 would have made a killing.

The only thing I don’t like is the invincibility flashing. It takes something away from the game. Couldn’t you have made a shield or something instead of having the kart flash?

I hope that one day Sony allow us to use our Mod/Sackboy/Home characters as our official PSN avatar though. The level of customisation rocks

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:33 am said:

It does rock. So much fun. I’m fine with the flashing personally, but if it really becomes a pain who knows. There is nothing UFG can’t do!

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on May 24th, 2010 at 11:25 pm said:

Also, will there be the option for SixAxis steering? I wouldn’t use it myself, but it would be a great way to get the whole family playing as some people aren’t “gamers” but would be able to play this game with SixAxis.

+ letherclad on May 24th, 2010 at 11:41 pm said:

Is there going to be a way for people to get the other preorder bonuses? I want all of them and didn’t want to buy 3 copies!

+ LRGKING on May 24th, 2010 at 11:54 pm said:

My brother is getting it tomorrow during his lunch. Cannot wait to play this game! Love the demo! Between this and RDR I dont know how ill have enough time to study for finals!! Aaaah!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:34 am said:

Ha. Don’t forget to study. A lot of time to game once you aced all your tests!

+ TapDatApp on May 25th, 2010 at 12:19 am said:

Hey Chuck: So I reserved my copy of ModNation Racers for PS3 but when I got my Sackboy Code packaged inside tonight at Midnight, it was very hard to get the seal off and when I did get it off, it appeared that some parts of the code are unreadable. This is a huge disappointment to me as Sackboy was a huge driving force to preorder the game for me. If I call the 1-800 Number for SCEA, do you think they can help me out by looking up my code or replacing it with a new one for me? Please Help & Thanks Much! (Btw I’ve been playing MNR for the past 3 hours straight!!! LOVE IT!)

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:36 am said:

Another Advanced Copy! Wow. Well done and welcome to the NATION! :) The store should be able to help you, if not call the number to see what can be done.

+ JAk_HAk on May 25th, 2010 at 12:20 am said:

~$250 later, got the game from Game Stop and new controllers in my hands right now. Ha ha!

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:37 am said:

NICE! Welcome to the NATION Jak_HAk!

+ JAk_HAk on May 25th, 2010 at 12:23 am said:

On another note, if anyone wants to trade their Ratchet voucher for my Kratos one, I’m totally down for that. If not, that’s still cool. Installing the game right now!

+ JAk_HAk on May 25th, 2010 at 12:25 am said:

I know this is a triple post, and I’m sorry, but I just noticed that Kratos doesn’t validate until 7/18/10, and sackboy doesn’t validate until 5/25/11 (a whole year from now). Misprint much? I certainly hope so.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 12:37 am said:

I think that means that’s when they expire. :)

+ JAk_HAk on May 25th, 2010 at 12:49 am said:

Oh, well, that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing it up!

+ IceCreamBandit on May 25th, 2010 at 12:56 am said:

Well well! Chuck & The Bandit are both LOST fans! In that case…be on the lookout for my John Locke mod. First costume I made in LBP…will be the first i make in ModNation. See you on the Island…err..TRACK!

+ ace4lyfeclint on May 25th, 2010 at 1:56 am said:

YEA!!!!! now you see this is going to be pff the hook cant sleep until i get this

+ frampo4 on May 25th, 2010 at 2:41 am said:

Hey Chuck

Really struggled to find a good lobby. Is there not a way you could implement a patch for joining? Like if a race has started you join as spectator until it starts, that way we wont have people jumping in and out of lobbies.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

I’m thinking we wont have that issue after today. Way more people to play now.

+ JumpMan33 on May 25th, 2010 at 3:00 am said:

Cant wait for this game tomorrow. I really hope UFG keeps the game pretty balanced if players start finding exploits.

+ mommymatters on May 25th, 2010 at 4:17 am said:

cznt wait till scool is over!

+ SarshelYam on May 25th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

I think next on the list of TO DO’s from UFG is the following:

1) Offer us a transfer ability for our creations. Instead of placing these in the GAME DATA section, put them as separate GAME SAVES so we can easily move them to different console…transport our creations so to speak without having to upload/download them every time we play at a friends.

I suppose I’m partial to this considering I have a PS3 with faulty Internet connectivity. I’m not sure what the issue is but it can never establish a wireless signal and the port on the back isn’t recognized when plugged directly into my cable. I’m stuck with all of my Mod/Kart/Track creations perpetually only playable by me. *insertSadFace*

+ acerazer1 on May 25th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

I hope the mailman brings my copy today

+ gdogg666 on May 25th, 2010 at 8:23 am said:

in the last comment i posted about the umd and psn download not workin together is there anyway u guys can fix that? cus that could make or break it for me buying it now off the psn or waitin a long time (i own the 3000 model) but i want to be able to get it today tho

+ mafecto on May 25th, 2010 at 8:24 am said:

There’s a post on their blog about it. They’re partnering with EA to realease a new game on PS3 and 360. This is not a lie.

+ Oakridge on May 25th, 2010 at 8:33 am said:

have none of the creations from the demo BUT wish I had my creations from the beta and I have downloaded a update when I loaded up the game after midnight

+ eatthemall on May 25th, 2010 at 8:48 am said:

can I change the camera
I got motion sickness from the default one.

+ PHIBALNATION on May 25th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Why wouldn’t they, it’s all about the money and the 360 is selling really well. I think they all should be multiplat.

+ phinnv8 on May 25th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

Thanks for the reply Chuck, the demo is great, especially the amazing track editor. I’m glad to hear that they are working on load times they weren’t that bad anyway with the demo, granted its installed to the HD.

About the car blinking, I don’t know why it bothers me so much but it does. I guess if its invincibility fine, but I don’t know any games that do that anymore. Why not a little bumper effect that comes up and fades away, or a temporary autoshield that comes up and fades.

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 11:41 am said:

Im sure UFG is taking notes. :)

+ rjejr on May 25th, 2010 at 9:48 am said:

I spent all morning waiting for the mail to come only to later realize UPS is delivering MNR (along with SMG2) and UPS usually doesn’t come until much later in the day. Oh well, back to the demo.

+ remanutd5 on May 25th, 2010 at 9:59 am said:

off topic , better add Sucker Punch to the playstation family before is too late

+ frampo4 on May 25th, 2010 at 4:27 am said:

Fix the lobby system!!!!!!

+ TekTime on May 25th, 2010 at 4:51 am said:

This Game is great…BUT DO NOT buy until the loading times have been sorted

+ KONFLICTIONZ on May 25th, 2010 at 5:22 am said:

Hey Chuck.

The voting system for tracks needs to be changed. When you download a track, the only way to vote is to go back & find the tracks you’ve downloaded. For most this is too much! You should be able to vote on the tracks after you’ve actually raced them! People will be voting on pictures alone. The other day we downloaded 10+ tracks in a row. Going back to look for them tracks to vote is such a pain! You’ll find a lot of people won’t be voting for a lot of the tracks, unless they are really good.

When doing quick races, why would I need to get sent back to the modstation after the race is over? Can’t I be taken to a track selection screen? Which would cut the loading times!

The track creation is great, but it would be nice if you could put down a test drive marker. Then have a button dedicated for that marker. Say, I don’t know…hold select!

Thanks for the great game. :)

+ Chuck Lacson on May 25th, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

Thanks for the feedback!

+ KONFLICTIONZ on May 25th, 2010 at 5:35 am said:

Correction. I meant ModStation.

PAGE 1 2 3