PS4-Infamous

Coming to PlayStation minis: Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3

Al Evans's Avatar + Posted by Al Evans on May 27, 2010 // Senior Producer, Laughing Jackal

UPDATE: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Stellar Attack was not released June 1st. Please stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for an updated release date.

Hey everyone! I’m pleased to announce that Laughing Jackal’s first PlayStation minis title, Stellar Attack, is to be released on the PSN Store on June 1st for the PSP and PS3. Stellar Attack is an homage to classic shoot-em-up Star Castle, and is also inspired by a range of action-puzzle games, featuring a mix of score-chasing puzzles, fast action and precision targeting.

Here’s some background to the game (featuring the best story I could think of in under five minutes!):

Deep in space, a lost starfighter is trapped by a series of evil turrets; turrets that are generating a purple energy field which is preventing the starfighter from returning home. To make things more difficult, these evil robo-turrets surround themselves with vast strings of protective coloured orbs. Using its multicoloured laser, our intrepid starfighter must blast a path through the orbs to destroy the turrets in each level — and if it can achieve a new high score on the way, then so much the better. In the future, everyone knows that the only language an evil robotic turret understands is destruction…and a good high score.

Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3

Stellar Attack’s “racking” multiplier score system means that you only build good scores by hitting orbs consistently with the right colored lasers. Breaking your chain of hits resets your multiplier and messes up your score, ruining your starfighter’s day and making evil turrets laugh at you.

If score-chasing, orb-blasting, turret-destroying, old-school puzzle action is your idea of fun (who’s isnt?) then Stellar Attack has everything you need.

Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3

Some of Stellar Attack’s best features:

• Old school shooter gameplay blended with score-chasing puzzle elements.
  • Vibrant, colourful presentation and a thumping soundtrack.
  • “Racking” multiplier score system offers great replayability.
  • Six different craft to master.
  • “Vector” and “Direct” control schemes to suit old-school and fast-action play styles.

Stellar Attack is our first release on the US PSN Store, so please check it out — we hope you like it!

+ artform-fazeone on May 27th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

Stellar Attack for PSP and PS3 will be a good game for the afternoon gamer… a 6 out of 10… THE FAZEONES LOUNGE

+ Chuckbait on May 27th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

meh… Just like all minis.

+ Mosh_Pit on May 27th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

Not my type.

+ Frostquake on May 27th, 2010 at 7:57 pm said:

Will buy day one if you price it right, which most PSP mini’s are not priced right..Hint Hint!

psn:frostquake

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on May 28th, 2010 at 2:40 am said:

Hey Frostquake.

Stellar Attack is priced at $4.49, which is the cheapest we could go. Rest assured we’ll always try to price things as cheaply as we can! :)

+ DiscoJer on May 27th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

This is a really great game, one of the best minis

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on May 28th, 2010 at 2:40 am said:

Thanks DiscoJer – I like it too! ;)

+ Chipper on May 27th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

All you had to do was say Star Castle and I’m sold.

+ barnaclejoe on May 27th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

hmm.. it does look interesting.. though the puzzle aspects (which seem cool) seem to conflict with the old school shooter aspects (which also seem cool). Are they cool together? I wonder.

Anyways, the colors/design look pretty neat.

I won’t lie, i probably won’t get it. But, it definitely intrigued me.

+ Chipper on May 27th, 2010 at 9:47 pm said:

Ever play Major Havok?

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on May 28th, 2010 at 2:44 am said:

Thanks for the posts guys. I personally love Stellar Attack’s mix of shooting & puzzling. It’s all about taking your time.

I find that keeping constant momentum in one direction around the outside of the level really helps. Don’t stop moving, get your multiplier as high as possible with hits on individual non-skull orbs, then once the multiplier’s racked up as high as it’ll go, hammer those skulls!

Try not to kill turrets until the multipliers right up either. Hope that helps and enjoy the game come June 1st! :o)

+ BalramRules on May 28th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

these minis sound good, but are they?
(rhetorical question).

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on May 28th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

too bad there aren’t demos for the minis, I don’t want to buy something that I might not like and can’t return/trade/resell :(

that happened to me once, and it’s not happening again.

+ DrHorrible123 on May 28th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

I would buy it… but you really should add a non-minis game (like a full blown PS3 downloadable version in HD). This has the potential to be almost as addicting as Super Stardust HD with a visual revamp and a few tweaks (i.e. single-console/online co-op) If you do this you could be in for some real money and at least acceptable sales numbers. Because, honestly, no one buys MINIS.

+ B055Y_ on May 28th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

almost 5 buck for this??? is their anything mini thats not a ripp.. that why they call it a playstation wallet.. casue that what they really going for..

+ mcbuttz78 on May 28th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

looks kool. can u play this on ps3 as well??

+ Mark-sensei on May 29th, 2010 at 12:54 am said:

Cool. Anybody know when Xenogears is being released? I know many people who want to play this game again! Please Square Enix, please!

+ crazykiller666 on May 29th, 2010 at 7:40 am said:

This game oddly looks a lot like the game geometry wars on X box 360 it is still the basic concept it is time to move on and try to make new games. I am not hating on PlayStation and no i do not like X box more i just feel that there are to many genres of this mine game and it is time to find something new.

+ thisranks on May 29th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

I have been waiting for Star Castles for years considering i was one of those guys that actually played the original weekly at the arcade.

While i was hoping for Star Castles itself, the video makes it’s point for me to be interested.

My question is: since it’s a mini, what is the length of the game considering all 3 modes?

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on June 1st, 2010 at 2:16 am said:

Hey,

The game probably takes an 45 minutes to clear the levels as fast as possible (there are 20 levels in all).

However, there are three game modes to experiment with and to get good scores requires a methodical approach – don’t forget you’re still being shot at – and to hit the top of the board will take a while.

+ DiscoJer on June 1st, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

Any insight on why this wasn’t released today, like it was said in the OP? I was really looking forward to it

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on June 2nd, 2010 at 1:48 am said:

Hi all,

As already reported on the blog Stellar Attack missed its launch at the last possible minute due to a minor previously unreported issue. We’re working on this now and we have a speculative new release date of June 22nd, although I must stress this is not set in stone as yet.

More news as we get it and my sincere apologies for the mix up. :(

+ BossHawg81 on June 2nd, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

i DOWNLOADED NBA iNSiDE DRiVE 09, REALLY LOVE THiS GAME GiVES LiVE AND 2K COMPETiTiON…PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER EXCLUSiVE BASKETBALL ALSO LOVE MLB THE SHOW 10…GREAT EXCLUSiVES

+ thisranks on June 2nd, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

Thanks for the response Al. I will more then likely be picking this up, as i have had the itch to play Start Castles for years now(i’m not sure if it’s emulated on the PC or elsewhere, but i’d rather pay to get a real copy).

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on June 4th, 2010 at 5:41 am said:

No worries.

I am on holiday over the next week, but someone else should be checking the blog now and again in my absence.

The issue has now been resolved, so hopefully the June 22nd release should still stand.

Cheers for now :)

+ stimey1 on June 20th, 2010 at 10:43 am said:

I can’t wait to play this game. Very hopeful it will be available soon. Also happy to hear that the problem was resolved quickly. In the meantime I’ll continue to enjoy Cubixx!

+ stimey1 on June 22nd, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

Hmm 22nd has arrived..silence..no Stellar Attacking going on..crap.

Al Evans's Avatar

+ Al Evans on June 25th, 2010 at 4:55 am said:

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of communication regarding the delay.

Stellar Attack has now been rubber-stamped as having a June 29th launch on the SCEA PSN Store.

Apologies for the delay and I hope you guys enjoy the game once it arrives. I think the wait will have been worth it, but let me know your thoughts once you’ve played.

Looking forward to any feedback. :)