PS4-Infamous

Coming to PlayStation minis: Telegraph Crosswords for PSP and PS3

Yan Marchal's Avatar + Posted by Yan Marchal on May 27, 2010 // Manager, Sanuk Games

Hey! This is Yan from Sanuk Games. You probably know about us if you’re familiar with PlayStation minis: over the last couple of months we have released Hysteria Project, Spot The Differences and Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro.

On Tuesday, June 1st we’ll release our latest minis game: Telegraph Crosswords.

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Telegraph Crosswords offers you a whopping 500 crossword puzzles. You can browse through a wide assortment of Quick crosswords, General Knowledge crosswords and Cryptic crosswords, and make your picks depending on your skills and mood.

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

The handy interface and intuitive controls transfigure the classic pen-and-paper experience. Forget about crumpled pages covered with erasures!

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Errors can be notified either immediately or after completion. Interactive hints are available when you’re stuck. And of course, you can stop a game and resume it at any time thanks to the autosave feature!

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Telegraph Crosswords is coming out on June 1st for PSP and PS3 at the price of $2.99.

For more information about our games, please visit our website. And to get first-hand information about our future releases, please follow us on Facebook.

+ dotCody on May 27th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

Crosswords…boring.

+ JordanBlack68 on May 27th, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

Agreed

+ Blazian on May 27th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Probably because you two aren’t good at them. I think it would help me get better at them because I suck when it comes to crossword puzzles, LOL!!!

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 28th, 2010 at 4:50 am said:

Indeed!

The game gives you as many hints as you need, and offers immediate error spotting if you opt for it. You can pick it up and enjoy yourself whatever your skill level is, and make actual progress.

I used to be hopeless at crosswords, and after testing the game for some time I became… well, a little bit less than hopeless :) – which, given that English is a second language for me, is already quite an achievement!

Yan

+ whatisdelicious on May 27th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

This actually looks pretty cool; I just don’t think I’m into crosswords enough to buy it. Kind of terrible at them; I’ve always found a certain disconnect between the hint given and their desired answer.

The interface looks really good and would translate extremely well to a PSP. My only problem with it is that there’s no numbers on the puzzle. It’s not a big deal, but it would just make it easier for my eyes to scan back and forth between the clue list and the puzzle without having to highlight stuff.

But yeah, again, great interface and for people that actually like crosswords, this looks pretty sweet. Too bad I’m not necessarily one of them.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 28th, 2010 at 4:59 am said:

Ref. “I’ve always found a certain disconnect between the hint given and their desired answer”

This game has different kinds of puzzles: Quick Crosswords, Cryptic Crosswords, and General Knowledge Crosswords.

I do agree that the cryptic ones can be very tortured. For example, “Prospect of free lap dances” gives “Landscape” because a landscape is a prospect and an anagram of “lap dances”.

But the quick ones are very much more straightforward: “Hounds” gives “Dogs”, “Boat” gives “Ship”, etc.

+ tdh004 on May 27th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

Is it going to have better controls than the recent Telegraph game? (Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro) I’d play the game more often if the number selection controls weren’t so horrible.

Bought it to try out Kakuro – which I really like – but selecting the number was so bad it’s no longer on any of my PSPs or PS3s.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 28th, 2010 at 4:13 am said:

Hey! I’m sorry that you didn’t like the control scheme on Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro with the analog stick to select numbers. We had tried different control schemes, and this one was the one we preferred.

On Telegraph Crosswords, the control scheme is different. A keyboard appears on screen, and you select letters with the D-Pad.

Cheers,
    Yan

+ MegamiTensei13 on May 27th, 2010 at 6:41 pm said:

It’s cheap maybe i get it

+ Dice_for_Death_ on May 27th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

Love me a good crossword/word search.

+ Frostquake on May 27th, 2010 at 7:59 pm said:

good price, but not for me, the wife however looks interested in the game.

psn:frostquake

+ DiscoJer on May 27th, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

You should update your website, the last game on it was “Spot the Differences”

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 28th, 2010 at 4:18 am said:

Haha, you’re right! I’m always like “OK, that’s the next thing I should do when I have time” but I never find the time.

I tend to update our Facebook page more often than our website. It is easier, and there’s more interaction with people who read it.

Yan

+ DarkAkatosh on May 27th, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

Wow a whole 500 crossword puzzles, that hasn’t been done since…oh wait, I can get infinite ones for free…

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 28th, 2010 at 5:09 am said:

What you get here is 500 handcrafted puzzles from one of the most reputable sources (The Telegraph) – as opposed to infinite computer-generated grids with recurring clues.

You get them in a neat little game that you can play on your PS3 at home, or on your PSP when you’re on the go.

Isn’t this worth a reasonable $2.99? We hope most people will think it is.

Yan

+ tomsoldier on May 28th, 2010 at 12:41 am said:

too bad… I have APO address. I’m trying to puchase my games thru PSN but when it’s time for me to put all my credit card information they don’t have APO to select with.

+ LaZy_GiRL on May 28th, 2010 at 12:44 am said:

Boring X_X

+ javargash77 on May 28th, 2010 at 2:14 am said:

Lol, people that say crosswords are boring is because sucks in this games,

I like crosswords and logic games, because i think are better resolv this on paper (magazines)

+ zerolaff on May 28th, 2010 at 4:00 am said:

Good thing this is a mini, if this was DS it would a full cartridge release :P

+ Chuckbait on May 28th, 2010 at 5:20 am said:

I’m glad this game is under $3.00, unlike most minis which are $4.99 or higher. Good luck on sales for this title.

+ Dax_Australia on May 28th, 2010 at 7:48 am said:

Really confused by your decision to not include CLUE NUMBERS on the game board. It’s a CRITICAL component of any crossword.

In order to complete a crossword quickly, a player needs to be able to glance at the board and then quickly scan the list of clues.

By forcing the player to highlight each and every word just to see the associated clue — well — it’s PURE MADNESS — and it would become tedious very quickly.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 30th, 2010 at 5:05 am said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You don’t have to select words from the grid. You can browse through clues using the D-Pad. The list of clues will scroll, and corresponding words will be highlighted on the grid. This allows quick and easy scan.

This is our natural way of playing, therefore we thought it would be superfluous to show numbers on the grid, and it would make the layout too busy.

That said, I acknowledge your comment, and we shall certainly add this option in future releases of crossword games.

Yan

+ BalramRules on May 28th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

cross-wordz for ps3?
soundz new =1
*hmm*

+ emiru69 on May 28th, 2010 at 9:38 am said:

Sounds, interesting. 2.99 is a great price and crosswords are great to improve my vocabulary (I’m international student). Good luck!

+ Rytteren on May 28th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

i like the minis. on the ps3 they do need 1 or 2 trophys.. and i will buy them f##king all.

now sony, make the minis work on a sony ericson phone!

+ moup94 on May 28th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

I really don’t see a good reason to buy this for the ps3 when you can do online crosswords for free

+ DrHorrible123 on May 28th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

If this is made correctly, we could be in for the first good “pure puzzler” (example: soduko), on the PS3

+ B055Y_ on May 28th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

YESS!!!!! more reason to not go to PSN..

+ tdh004 on May 28th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

Thanks for the response Yan!

Using the D-pad is so much more precise, and seems to have the ability to make or break a game.

I like to play games like this just before bed. Now that I know I can select letters easily, I’ll give this one a try!

+ Jvolel on May 28th, 2010 at 10:03 pm said:

Are there well done sudoku minis out already?

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 30th, 2010 at 5:20 am said:

Hey! We have also released “Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro” as a Minis.

It offers various kinds of number puzzles with different levels of difficulty:
    - Classic 6×6 and 9×9 Sudoku grids,
    - Sudoku-X (where diagonals must also be filled with numbers from 1 to 9).
    - Jigsaw Sudoku (with non-rectangular boxes).
    - Kakuro

Cheers,
    Yan

+ KSPRAYDAD on May 28th, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

Wow…guys…if you don’t like a certain genre of game do you really need to come on here and denigrate this man/company’s hard work?

Chillax.

For those interested in Crosswords…they can now get 500 for $3 (less than a penny per puzzle!) to play on the go or on the PS3…that’s a great deal.

+ colby1019 on May 29th, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

okay it is clear that some of us are bad at crossword puzzles. Finshied

+ sixteenways2sun on May 30th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

I wish this wasn’t a mini. I don’t care for them much because of the way they are catered for both the PSP and PS3. Always feels sort of cheap. Any plans on making a PS3 only title that is not a Mini? I think I’d pay upwards to 10 bucks for one if there was. My only other opition on the consoles is Coffeetime Crosswords on the 360 and the control scheme is terrible.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 31st, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

Sorry, no plan for a PS3-only version at this point.

The present Minis version is reasonably cheap and plays well on PS3. To balance the cost of releasing a PS3-specific version we would indeed have to charge a higher premium, and I am not sure that many people would want to pay this higher premium just for up-res’d graphics in a crossword game.

Cheers,
    Yan

+ CaptainHuggyface on May 31st, 2010 at 8:14 pm said:

Have you changed this from the UK release? Reference to US culture, trivia knowledge, sports and spellings?
I am a Brit living in the US so I have a US PSN log in, but I would probably find the UK references and spellings easier, should I download the UK version or would I do OK with this one on the US store?

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on May 31st, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

We did not change anything. Both releases have the same contents.

Cheers,
    Yan

+ SPOOKULA209 on June 1st, 2010 at 9:06 am said:

there needs to be games for everyone. Personally games like these I pick up on general principle because they give me a break from all the other madness of shooters lol

+ MadeSicc187 on June 1st, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

I can’t find this game…….. where is it? I can only find the sudoku one and a puzzle challenge one. I can’t find the Telegraph Crosswords one! please help me.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

+ Yan Marchal on June 1st, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

Hold on! The store update is coming…

Yan