PS4-Infamous

Killzone 3 for PS3 reveal: Guerrilla Games interview

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on May 27, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

What’s going to change in Killzone 3? The answer: a LOT.

Fresh off their European Killzone 3 media event, Guerrilla Games dropped into San Francisco to unveil Killzone 3 to the North American press for the first time last night, 3D TVs en tow.

I grabbed a few moments (well, 11 minutes, actually) with Guerrilla Games‘ Senior Producer Steven Ter Heide to talk jetpacks, fan requests, new Helghast foes, and how Killzone 3 will improve upon Killzone 2 in terms of graphics, controls, combat, and more.

+ TheGuardianFID on May 27th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

Great interview Jeff as always and thank you Steven and GG for one of the best series on the PS3!!! 8)

+ AG-WarFighter on May 27th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

same here, the Gameplay in the background distracted me so i had to watch it twice :)

Can’t wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ lionel_lilthug on May 27th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

oh,time 2 bring out the rocket launchers,in game music,and shoot EVEYBODY up.The game will have ingame music,right?

+ arakouftaian on May 27th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

jeff i forgive you
i just saw the video on youtube
search guerrilla games interview killzone 3

the game look way faster and much better
thank you , know let me wach it one more time
for the interview lol.

and btw the guy in the background ?
is that dick tracy ? lol

+ userfriendly on May 27th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

I have a feeling you jeff, were part of the reason we actually saw any of this footage.

Thanks, from those who just couldn’t wait to see this game.

+ c45j on May 27th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

please do widescreen correctly this time. Killzone 2 had such a narrow fov, it was terrible.

+ ppbobby on May 27th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

Cant wait. This one sounds a lot closer to killzone 1 in terms of environments and variety.

One of my favorite franchises! NEED MORE VIDEO FOOTAGE!

+ strawberry37 on May 27th, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

Looking forward 2 KZ3 Gonna be bangin’

+ FFObsessed on May 27th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

We need a direct feed trailer. Dunno why Sony thought revealing the best looking game ever with a few screens would make sense.

+ Marzeth on May 27th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

Swearing gone!?! Why!?!? That was cool!

+ FFObsessed on May 27th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

I meant DEDICATED SERVERS before. It’s the most requested feature by KZ2 fans apart from a party system. Why no question? Sony’s BIGGEST ONLINE FPS should have dedicated servers. No excuses.

+ Darth-Krayt on May 27th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

You know Jeff, this is starting to be real BS. ANOTHER damned video that I want to see so bad, this one of my favorite FPS franchise of all time aside from the original DOOM-Final DOOM. and I (and many other people) can’t watch it because you people running the blog refuse to use a video format the PS3 can play. Un-freakin’-believable.

Does anyone know if this video has been copied onto youtube or something? Link please.

+ Bsan0916 on May 27th, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

hey jeff i got a question will there be a killzone 3 demo before the game ships.?

+ Darth-Krayt on May 27th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

@106

Agreed. Killzone 1 was amzing when it comes to being packed with varied environments. It had everything. Urban environments, a village type environment, trench warfare surrounded by the fog of war, snowy environments, jungle environments, and my favorite was that level covered in the pink and white cherry blossom leaves. It really was amazing and many of the environments were present in multi-player maps.

Killzone 3 is deffinitely bringing back the varied environs of Killzone 1, which is wonderfull. It’s just a shame that I don’t think those Cherry Blossom like things exist on Helghan.

Also if GG reads this, I would LOVE if you did something like Capcom did with Super Street Fighter 4. Allow Killzone 3 to support the downloadable multi-player maps from Killzone 2. Or at least the Flash and Thunder pack, because with Killzone 3 having snow, you guys should make another Killzone 1 throwback pack including Canyon Crossing and Park Terminal. So then we could all have the 4 best Killzone 1 multi-player maps, which happen to be my 4 favorite MP maps of all time in any game.

+ BaZa667 on May 27th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

Great interview. I really appreciate you passing along the suggestions. That’s a big plus in my book. You are my hero. The idea of them doing customized controls gets me excited, if they would do it. 5 Stars!!!!

+ LRGKING on May 27th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

Great interview! I kept looking at the video playing in the back! haha. Sounds like their improving the things that I didn’t really enjoy too much in KZ2. Definitely picking this up!

+ loadstone007 on May 27th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Thanks for the great interview Jeff.
BTW, is that K3 in the background? It looks the same as K2 (which is a good thing).

+ PoInTyNiPs on May 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

damn awesome gameplay and still looks amazing. i guess they won’t put 3rdps [DELETED] that’s one thing i really wanted to see. mostly the questions i asked were anwsers well only about the cover system and pace of the game. i did see destructable objects but it seemed script like KZ2. i also want to see the play theme from LBP that would be so awesome.

+ lunlunqq on May 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

What??!?!?!!??!

How could you do that to us?? Teasing us with that small screen playing KZ3 footage in the far back??? You know how hard it already is for me to count the days to E3? *wave fist… >:( … :’(

+ B1gg_Randall on May 27th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

lol did you guys see that helghast got melee and beat with the gun…OMG

+ mew_frenger on May 27th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

great interview, hope to see more!
to way in on the controls debate. i think alot of the hardcore fans of kz2 would b disappointed if they made the controls lighter., but idk, guess they have to do whats best for the average player,. hope they stay weighty tho, and if ppl tried for a couple of hours they would agree. but i wont b up in arms if they change them like they did, if guerilla thinks its ok, i think its ok:)

+ wasim007 on May 27th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

GOTY 2011

This game will tear away all fps next year
RIP Gears 3 and halo reach and crysis 2

+ explosive78 on May 27th, 2010 at 5:59 pm said:

OMG. Did he just snap that guys neck in the background. Wow.

+ cjtiger300 on May 27th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

@FFObbsessed 100% agree, this game is too big for P2P! We need some dedicated servers!

That being said, I can’t wait for this sucker to come out!!!!!!!1

+ SyphonFilter- on May 27th, 2010 at 6:42 pm said:

Nice,guerrilla is awesome they are about the fans.

+ BlazeKush420 on May 27th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

OMG I cant wait for Killzone3. GG is the best. I hope there is co op. 4 player +. and Mp should have more players then Killzone2. More guns ,mmmmm I cant wait. WOOOO

+ yukiboy23 on May 27th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

@111 Darth-Krayt

+ SHINSPIKES on May 27th, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

More weapons, more rankings to earn or level up, more perks, more everything. Use that bluray to the max please. It seems like only MGS and maybe GT5 will be the only ones doin it.

+ trumpettrunz on May 27th, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

I knew G Games started immediatyely after kz2!!

+ Chapulin140 on May 27th, 2010 at 7:18 pm said:

Nice can’t wait to see footage in HD.

+ VictoryEagle on May 27th, 2010 at 7:39 pm said:

This absolutely requires split-screen.
The thought of flying in the air and sniping my friends in a JETPACK beats any game by far. Although I doubt split-screen will be available since screen cheating destroys FPSs. Oh well, back to Warhawk for my friends…

+ Networ-king on May 27th, 2010 at 7:45 pm said:

#46 never played killzone multiplayer because the clan was perfected it did include all those ideas / one thing booster clans i hate them

+ CH1983AG on May 27th, 2010 at 7:50 pm said:

Where there be females? I hope so. If not in the campaign aleast for online. Also I would like to see custom outfits.

+ Frostquake on May 27th, 2010 at 7:54 pm said:

Thanks in advance for saying that you are fixing the laggy controls!!

+ ClearClover on May 27th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

Thank you very much for this interview, I really appreciate it, very well done, and very informative.

It’s good to know Guerilla Games are listening to the fans. I really hope there’s Sigle Player co-op or something of the sort.

+ Enigma777 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

No prone! For the love of god, no prone! Also I’d love a party system, but please keep the server list!!! I hate games that just dump me into a random map.

I want to be able to choose what maps I get to play, dammit!!!

+ king2447 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

This is Simply AMAZING!
Thanks for the Interview Jeff, your awesome!!!!!!!
I cant wait for this game, but have you ever had a chance to get an interview with polyphony, or anyone deeply related to Gran Tursmo 5?

+ GAM3R_16 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

Awesome!

+ LeKink on May 27th, 2010 at 8:33 pm said:

Nice interviewer, good job Jeff. I wanna more demo video.

+ woodrep82 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:34 pm said:

Nicely done Jeff. Great interview. Can’t wait for Killzone 3!

+ Darth-Krayt on May 27th, 2010 at 8:38 pm said:

@127

Thanks for the link. That video works perfectly on the PS3 browser. I can’t understand why these videos don’t work on the blog. It’s just so “wrong”

+ huerta13 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:38 pm said:

SPLITSCREEN PLEASE!!!!!

+ Kenshin71 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:48 pm said:

Nice interview and good to see Jeff passing on some requests from the players. Steven seems pretty cool. Really hope they don’t tweak the controls too much, they’re one of the things I like that sets KZ2 apart from the rest.

Also, don’t cut all Rico’s swearing. That’s Rico, love him or hate him.

+ zombie_56 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

@10 i would buy it

+ zombie_56 on May 27th, 2010 at 8:55 pm said:

141 split screen would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

+ letherclad on May 27th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

I’m really psyched for this one, can’t wait!

+ xXZ-ROXx on May 27th, 2010 at 9:37 pm said:

i never played none of the killzone series… but this looks better than mw2… i might get it… it looks cool…

+ BELCH on May 27th, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

good to see. And to those who dont think the graphics look all that different. Well yr not wrong. But its not a reason to worry. KZ2 looked great when originally shown but if u compare it to launch footage u can see obvious enhance. Actually its almost staggering.

+ Exalted_Knight on May 27th, 2010 at 10:03 pm said:

Thanks so much Playstation Blog and GG, Killzone rocks, from the first one to Liberation, to 2, and now this keep up the great work. Also @Jeff if you get a chance to can you pass a PSN avatar idea out to the GG team thanks abunch.

+ Rippou on May 27th, 2010 at 10:22 pm said:

Excellent interview, I am impressed. Thanks for reading off some of those fan suggestions.