PS4-The Order

Coming to PSN: Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3

Nathan Vella's Avatar + Posted by Nathan Vella on Jun 03, 2010 // Co-founder and President, Capybara Games

Ahoy-hoy PlayStation.Blog readers! Nathan Vella here — I’m co-founder and president of Capybara. You might remember Capy from such PlayStation Network titles as the barftastic puzzle romp, Critter Crunch! Capy is back on the PlayStation.Blog after a short hiatus to talk about our return to PSN — this time we’ve teamed up with our pals at Ubisoft to bring you Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3

Now, some of you might be thinking, “what the hell is this game?” Well, imagine for a moment that the lovely Mrs. Puzzle and dashing Mr. Turn-Based Strategy got together and made a baby — that baby would be the battle system. Now, take that baby and raise it up on RPG adventuring, and you’ve got Might & Magic Clash of Heroes, a puzzle/strategy/RPG hybrid in 2D HD!

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3

Now, when Clash of Heroes was first published last year, it was showered in critical love and received numerous glorious awards giving Capy lots of reasons to celebrate. And, to celebrate we have taken all the awesomeness of the original, and ratcheting it up to 1000. Now we’re back on the awesome PlayStation Network with online & local versus multiplayer, a new co-op multiplayer mode, tons of balancing tweaks, new unit abilities and so much more.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3

Also, we’ve taken our love of both high-definition 2D & traditional animation, and combined them to create the stunning visuals of Clash of Heroes. Critter Crunch artists Qiqo & Sylvain have joined forces with the rest of Capy’s amazing art team to bring you thousands of frames of 2D HD goodness. Capy believes that 2D gaming has a bright future ahead of it in the HD era, and we’re proud to be a part of a small group (alongside upcoming PSN awesomeness like Klei’s Shank) trying to push 2D HD as far as it can go.

I’ve included some screenshots in this post but, in September, you will be able to see the game in action on your PS3! As well, Clash of Heroes will be playable in the Ubisoft booth at this year’s E3, so definitely stay tuned for more news on this game.

Since you’re already online, you can hop over to the Might & Magic Facebook page and hit that trusty LIKE button. And while we’re talking “SOCIAL NETWORKING WEB 6.O DOT COM/INTERNETS”, you can follow Might & Magic Community girl Noemie on Twitter via @UbiXhane, as well as keep up to date with Capy via @Capybara_Games.

Just like the last time we were here, Capy will be answering as many questions as humanly possible. Ask away friends!

PAGE 1 2

+ Slarth on June 3rd, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

Please tell me this is being released in the EU?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 3rd, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

100% definitely for sure guaranteed.

+ Wollan on June 3rd, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

Ah, was hoping for 1080p HD. Took some of the steam out.

+ Slarth on June 3rd, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

You’ve just made my day, just got to wait for it to be released now! Oh, pass along that a Platnium trophy would be nice :)

Many Thanks

+ Detective-E on June 3rd, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

Man, this looks like fun!
Normally I wouldn’t go for 2D downloadable games but this seems like something I’m interested in..
Now if they’d say how much it’ll be, I can decide whether I could get it.

+ Rytteren on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

ahhhhhhgh.. you are still getting my money somhow… critter is one of the best games everQ its fun as hell. i hated Heroes v, 3do and New World Computing made magic way back.. ubi [DELETED] it up. but all my friends tells me that you have made some of the best ever with the univers. now, how to pay you for this :) buy the game seven times?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

I’d be happy with just 6 ;)

+ plaztiksyke on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

One more vote for a platinum trophy. I’ll gladly pay $15 for the game on day one if it has a platinum trophy. $15+ games from major publishers that don’t have a platinum trophy are usually an immediate ‘skip’ for me.

+ DiscoJer on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

This is no doubt a good game, but at the same time it’s a good example why the handheld market in the US is taking a nose dive.

You make a game on a handheld, sell it for $30, then turn around 6 months later and released a better, enhanced version for download on consoles for half the price.

+ Kxpuc on June 3rd, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

September too far too far away. how about August instead ^_^

+ xGuitarwolfx on June 3rd, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

Excellent! I just listened to the interview on Playstation nation podcast with you on it. You seem like a really cool dude. I rarely post but I am pumped about this game and Capybara you guys are my new favorite dev after Critter Crunch!

I just wanted to say thanks for giving us the update and for believing in 2D gaming still. Also for actually responding to your community, that is HUGE to me and a lot of my buddies. Playing these games brings back a lot of memories and the fact you guys are committed to these types of games and how amazing they look in HD has me very excited :)

I bought Critter Crunch and told all my buddies to get it. I will be doing the same for this game since I am sure I will love it. D1 buy for me can’t wait!

Any trophy info? :P

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 4th, 2010 at 7:03 am said:

Hey xGuitarwolfx – thanks for all the love. I am actually not very cool, but i fake it :)

As for talking to the community, it’s part of the fun of making games. We care a lot about our work, and anyone interested in it deserves our time & attention.

Trophy info should be out in a bit :)

+ Choxie808 on June 3rd, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

I just hop they consider making it for the PSP… I’m a huge fan of the series, especially the recent DS game that came out awhile ago… I would personally not mind dishing out $50 for a PSP version. SSorry, no PS3 for me just yet.

+ DarthDanMan on June 3rd, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

Sounds pretty good have to decide when the demo comes out (if it does)

+ Mindplague on June 3rd, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

Support this game and you, I will.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 4th, 2010 at 7:04 am said:

Thanks yoda

errr Mindplague

+ TaareZameenPar on June 3rd, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Great to see this game. Critter Crunch was my first puzzle game and this will be my second. Canada represent!

+ Velo214 on June 3rd, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

This is such a great game on the DS, day one purchase for me on PSN. Thanx Capy!

+ Onarum on June 3rd, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

this game is fantastic, I have it on the DS, I highly recommend it.

It’s not the same gameplay as the good ole HoMM series though, but still a great game.

A question to the developers, does it have different content compared to the ds version?

+ ChargerBR on June 3rd, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

Wow this game is really fantastic! I have played yet on DS and like so much. Thank’s guys to create this for the PSN and now in glory 3D. Hope sales be strong!

+ ScRaBBiT on June 3rd, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

Heard nothing but great things. Looking forward to it.

+ Hradekal on June 3rd, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

If Capybara were personified as a woman, I would totally bang her.

+ DaMann22 on June 3rd, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

I hope you guys at least add remote play function so I can play it on my psp which is where I would rather play a game like this.

+ JpaQ on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

this game makes me yawn.

cuz i played it nonstop for god only knows how long.

AAA–Dic-Ted!!!

+ piratedrunk on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

Looks really cool. When will we know the price? This is going to be a long summer.

+ iMitsune on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:52 pm said:

I loved the game on the handheld, but this is going to look clean on a big screen!

I can’t wait for it to be released. :)

+ dallow on June 3rd, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

Best game on DS will now be best game on PSN.

Thanks Capy.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 4th, 2010 at 7:07 am said:

Awwww Shucks…

+ odin_final on June 3rd, 2010 at 11:46 pm said:

I had to login for Might&Magic
Count me in,I love this series

+ Frostquake on June 4th, 2010 at 12:30 am said:

QUESTION??

I doubt this will be answered as it is surely too far down the list, but I bought the game for the DSi, and will be buying it both for the XBLA and PSN, as I am quite addicted to it, is that a bad thing???

Anyway, I am very surprised with the game being complete for the DSi, that you mention there are “bugs” and “fixes”? Does porting a game such as this create “New Bugs”, due to the porting issues, or were there bugs in the original release that just weren’t issues on the DSi, such as converting to HD?? Does that question make sense??

Dallas, Fayetteville Arkansas
PSN: frostquake

Ps. Bookmarking to come back and check just in case you do come back and read later posts and respond, which would be nice :)

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 4th, 2010 at 7:07 am said:

Trust me when i say: everything you do when making a game causes bugs. Something as simple as changing a number or replacing a piece of art can cause issues across the board. It’s just part of development, whether you’re making a new game or porting an existing one.

The “converting to HD” process was no small undertaking for us. It involved tons of new systems and tools, tons of new art, and TONS of effort from both our amazing Art & Programming teams.

In closing, the surgeon general has clearly stated that Clash of Heroes addiction has no negative health repercussions!

+ djnealb on June 4th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

This looks really interesting. I love that you got the same artists from Critter Crunch to do this b/c it looks amazing. Any chance of a demo coming out at or prior to release?

+ Monetep on June 4th, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

2D HD games for the win, I’ve been waiting for Shank and Castle Crashers so long, and now you come with this? THANK YOU!
I don’t get why almost… none 2D games are coming out for the HD consoles, why i ask?
And i’ll thank you for the HD, games like Disgaea 3, 2D but not HD, well it didn’t look so good, it was great, but it was like playing a 5 years ago game…

I’m getting this :D

+ Dracorius on June 4th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

Hey Nathan, I bought Critter Crunch last year, my room mate absolutely adores that game for cuteness, complexity,simplicity, and evil addictive nature. I bought this game for the DS for her, but she lost the game card, her fail. Great move in porting this to the PSN. She will be stuck on that plasma TV all summer long. Keep up the good work!

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on June 4th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

That sucks that she lost the cartridge!

Just make sure she’s not glued to the Plasma too much, we all need a little outdoors :)

+ Meteor_Freak on June 4th, 2010 at 9:17 am said:

This looks pretty good, my wife and I really enjoy Critter Crunch. I bought it when it first came out… simply because I wanted to support a dev. that made from what I could tell at the time a quality game for a very reasonable price! I hope that worked out, from what I remember sales were slow at first… but I hope after word got out it picked up?
Figuring this game will follow a standard price point since Ubisoft, and XBL are involved. That being said, because of critter crunch, I’ll once again throw caution to the wind, and trust that this will be just as good if not better than Critter Crunch.

+ Roverxk9 on June 4th, 2010 at 9:30 am said:

I’m interested, but I’ll need to see gameplay or get a hold of a demo before I go any further.

+ tpsioulas on June 4th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

I want it!!!!!<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Beauty is sometimes dobvious to everyone. How exactly is the battle system? I can't quite imagine it! Will you give us either more trailers or a demo? What is the price for this game?

I have to refill my PSN pocket for this and Castle Crushers!

2D RULES!!!

+ quaid88 on June 4th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

these games look so cool but i cant get them on psp

+ acerazer1 on June 4th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

Critter Crunch freakin rocked. One of my favorite PSN games of all time. I might get this on that alone.

+ righello on June 5th, 2010 at 3:45 am said:

I like the attention to quality in your games. Keep up the good work, CAPY.

+ Psikorps on June 6th, 2010 at 5:53 am said:

Critter Crunch was awesome, Capy rocks. (I’m wearing my “how to barf correctly t-shirt right now actually…GF got it for me, dont ask…)

M&M:CoH-HD…if I could pre-order I would.

Will buy the moment it’s released.

Supporting Fellow Canucks.

+ MRxKOOLGUY on June 8th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

Looks kind of like maplestory…

PAGE 1 2