PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

The Ultimate 3D Experience: Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3 Available Tomorrow

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Jun 09, 2010 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hi everyone! The moment is here — starting tomorrow, high-definition stereoscopic 3D gaming will be available in your very own living rooms! As you already know, all PlayStation 3 systems are already equipped with everything they need to play stereoscopic 3D games. Thanks to a free firmware update released this past April, the PS3 system is the only console on the market that can support full stereoscopic 3D gaming — right from your living room, and with no additional charge.

Today, our sister company Sony Electronics announced its 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs are now available for pre-sale and will ship to retailers later this month. There are a broad range of models available in different screen sizes, some packaged with active glasses and others without, giving consumers the option to choose which 3D entertainment solution works for them. For more information, click here.

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

We’re extremely excited to be at the helm of a whole new gaming experience unlike anything offered before. Starting tomorrow, the following games and demos will be available in stereoscopic 3D for anyone who owns a PS3 system and 3D television:

• WipEout HD (full game): Experience the adrenalin rush of navigating the twists and turns of futuristic racetracks at breathtaking speeds like never before.
  • Super Stardust HD (full game): Experience asteroids fly past you as you navigate the deadly battleground — only a battle on a cosmic level will save the indigenous life below from destruction.
  • PAIN: The stereoscopic 3D content will include the Downtown area and tutorial along with three modes, including two new modes created specifically with stereoscopic 3D in mind, Alien Toss and Ice Breaker.
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift (demo): MotorStorm Pacific Rift in stereoscopic 3D puts you in the driver’s seat of a buggy for a one track, single player race around the deadly Kanaloa Bay for a dangerously real battle against ruthless opponents.

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

To give PS3 and new 3D capable BRAVIA owners a sample of 3D entertainment at its best, 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs will come with PlayStation Network vouchers to download these four stereoscopic 3D game experiences, which total more than 100 hours of gameplay.

We’re also announcing that The Fight: Lights Out will be available in stereoscopic 3D, combining PlayStation Move with 3D to deliver an immersive and realistic gaming experience unlike anything you’ve played before. This is only a small taste of the 3D experiences you can expect with the new 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs and PS3. With new gaming experiences coming this year in the form of stereoscopic 3D gaming and PlayStation Move, as well as an expansive software line-up, the PS3 system truly does everything and continues to be at the forefront of innovation. In addition, 3D Blu-ray movie playback is coming to the PS3 this year via firmware update. Stay tuned for even more 3D news and announcements coming in the near future!

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ Xoonaka on June 9th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

Wait, the DEMO for Pacific Rift… but not the full game…? That’s a tad confusing… you guys should change that, I know a guy who bought the PS3 for Motorstorm and I could probably talk him into a 3D Bravia if it was in the full version…

+ almighty-slayer on June 9th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

News flash: No one cares about 3D

+ nymph3ta on June 9th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

Now all I need is a 3D capable TV.

+ Plankfan on June 9th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

Gasp!

+ spatsnaz on June 9th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

I wish I could afford a 3d tv. Great news for the ones that have one!

+ Brapp347 on June 9th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

there’s no way i’m getting a 3d tv. I wish it was in red and blue also, just to see what it would be like.

+ II-KiLLER-ll on June 9th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Anyone actually own a 3D TV yet?, I sure don’t & won’t be getting one any time soon. I need Moneh!

+ kivi95 on June 9th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

#Motorstorm Pacific Rift is very cheap now so i wont cost that much more.And the Demo is a 3D demo for MPR.

+ reson8er on June 9th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

I’m now taking 3-D TV donations if you really want me to experience it ;)

+ wocyob on June 9th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

hope they become cheap soon :P

+ II-KiLLER-ll on June 9th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful in my earlier comment :P, I’m happy about 3D. But may I haz a free 3D TV ;]

+ gta_4 on June 9th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

does that mean 3.40?

+ DA_SHREDDER on June 9th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Awesome, now all I have to do is wait 2-3 years for a 600 hrz 3-D tv that runs under $1000 USD and im sold.

+ Sindred on June 9th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

almighty-slayer

I must be nobody, because I own a 3D TV and I am definitely stoked about this!! I wish it was full Motorstorm (since I own the game), but Wipeout and stardust will be awesome!

+ Enforcer_X on June 9th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

When Sony starts making good TV’s again let me know.
I have a Sony BRAVIA KDL-52XBR5 (LOVE IT) but I won’t be getting any of these new edge lit LED, that’s just junk.
Take the KDL-55XBR8 and make it 3D and I’ll buy 2 of them!

+ DVD_Sandwich on June 9th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

I’d be alot more willing to buy a 3DHDTV if it used polarized lenses rather than active shutter glasses.

+ GooDer_gAMe on June 9th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

What happens if you already own some of these games and wish to play them in 3D?

John Koller's Avatar

+ Al De Leon on June 9th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

Hi, if you already own PAIN, Super Stardust HD, or WipEout HD, you will be able to download free patches that enable stereoscopic 3D gameplay. MotorStorm Pacific Rift is a free demo.

+ rbanke on June 9th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Get rid of glasses, make 3d’s image quality NOT be inferior to HD, make 3d not hurt my eyes and give me headaches, make it so I don’t have to sit directly in front of the tv, and I MIGHT care.

+ KazeEternal on June 9th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

hmmm I should be excited…… but I’m not.

+ Irishmandkg on June 9th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Can we have xgc yet? I think most people are just upgrading to HD tv so why would we want to go out and buy a 3D Tv for a dumb gimmick?

+ Sindred on June 9th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

Because when you see some of these games running in 3D you’ll realize that “feature” it might be, but gimmick it is definitely not.

I’m interested in experiencing The Fight with this. With your motion being echoed on screen… a screen with 3D perspective, I anticipate some kinda “cool” disorientation.

+ Exalted_Knight on June 9th, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Ok now that 3D is out of the way, whats in store for us who have the 1080P HD Experience? I hope this update isnt only 3D, how about some communication features, like an updated browser to view social sites, or Cross Game Voice Chat? What im trying to say is, are we getting anything else in tomorrows update?

+ Korbei83 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

I’ll think about it more when we get more info regarding a time frame for the BD update.. and pricing in Canada. We are getting 3D in Canada, right? I feel like we can’t take anything for granted anymore. Certainly not jumping on board based on an assumption.

+ siegeh on June 9th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

hm i dont have a setroscope tv but a flatscreen hd tv damn do i have to get 1 for the steroscope tv’s or just buy the bundle with the 3d glasses? :/

+ Poki-3 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Now if only those TVs didn’t cost the price of a small house and I didn’t buy my first HD TV 3 months back…
Hit me up in 10 years.

+ Treequil on June 9th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

@2 News flash, we do care about 3D :P

@6 Red/Blue gives me a stomach ache…

But, sweet! I was hoping this would happen since WoW got 3D capabilities…
One question tho… Will the PS3 require a 3D TV to run 3D or will it work w/o and just be better with the Special TV? Since these do look pretty darn costly… Maybe X-Mas… Or once I get a job…

John Koller's Avatar

+ Al De Leon on June 9th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

Yes, you’ll need a 3D TV to play these PS3 titles in stereoscopic 3D.

+ The1stMJC on June 9th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Please Sony stop wasting time in 3D it is just too early for the tech to be where it needs to be.
Also I cannot see 3D so I am afraid you guys will spend less time on the regular game just to throw in some tacky 3D.

+ almighty-slayer on June 9th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

@14

Great. Out of all of the comments so far, only you and one other person care.

+ ProjectInfiniti on June 9th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

So I guess having my PS3 connected to my PC’s flat-screen HD monitor and holding off on replacing my SDTV for an HDTV paid off.

Now I can save up a bit more to get a 3D-ready HDTV. Messing around with a Samsung & Sony 3D TV at Best Buy was awesome :]

+ spunnups on June 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

3D is going to be awesome for gaming. Now, about that 3D Tv….in due time…

+ Sindred on June 9th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

@26

I spent 1700 on mine (Samsung… Sorry Sony, but I spread the love), and it’s a 46inch slim LED. It runs 240hz and has online crap like Netflix, Pandora etc etc.

What I’m getting at is that, it was expensive but not $3,000 expensive, and there are supposed to be smaller models with more competative prices. The glasses will get you, but most of the TVs I’ve seen come in bundles. I think the misconception is that these TVs will be like extremely expensive, but they are priced to compete with regular LCDs. And even outside of the 3D capabilities, they have some awesome features.

+ Sindred on June 9th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

@almighty-slayer

Actuallty, keep reading… apparently not.

+ Wipeoutt31 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

I need my Kevin Butler commercial.

+ kivi95 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

#I care about 3D because it looks fun and will be a new experience when you play with 3D but i cant afford to buy one…

+ BalramRules on June 9th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

SONY IS DOIN GREAT!
Just look at the motion n 3d line-up, and not to forget bout all da exclusivez and to-be innovationz for e3 n gamescom etc.

+ Berae on June 9th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

I cant wait for 3D! but it will have to wait a bit before buying a new 3D TV

+ MnGhost1980 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

Now if Sony gives me a firmware upgrade for my TV to allow it to be 3D then ill be set.

if that doesnt happen the forget about this 3D crap, cause Im not buying another new tv!

+ nino1911 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

this feels like a waste of time theres not enough 3d content to get a 3dtv and so expensive

+ anotherdae on June 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

I wonder if Kevin Butler has a 3D Sony TV

+ LokeSTL on June 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Oh, thank God!! The faster you guys get this stuff out, the faster it will flop and we can get back to quality gaming & watching. Now hurry up and get that motion tech out so we can move past that too. Oh, what a great and terrible time it is to be a gamer!

+ anotherdae on June 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Also didn’t you guys see Avatar? 3D sucks.

+ S-E-G on June 9th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

i’m sure someone will come out with some kind of adapter thingamajig that will covert a 120hz or 240hz monitor to display 3d for the PS3.
i hope so cause i’m not buying another damn TV, come on now!!

+ cuterena on June 9th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Ok, the wording of the blog post is a little confusing. I own a 3D ready, 65″ DLP HDTV. Not from Sony, certainly not a Bravia. Are you saying that only the Bravia will support the PS3 3D capabilities? If that is the case, that is stupid.

John Koller's Avatar

+ Al De Leon on June 9th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

Not at all! The PS3′s 3D capabilities will work with 3D TVs from other manufacturers.

+ Jnooley on June 9th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

Anyone who purchases or supports 3D technology is what we call an enabler, complex peoples that have seriously flawed outlook on many aspects of life. The company that wins in the 3D race is the first to pull out of 3D.

3D is 2010′s waggle, it will die, it needs to die.

I’m very disappointed in Sony, this coming from someone who has studied business extensively in a post-secondary environment and always previously admired Sony’s business sense.

+ cuterena on June 9th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

Thanks Al De Leon. Great news

+ TakiFuGu on June 9th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

This is very exciting but you guys forgot to mention that we will need to go out and buy a new $3,000 LEDTV. Just saying! LOL
Guess I’ll just trash my 1 year old Sony HDTV. LMAO!

+ TakiFuGu on June 9th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

OH, and don’t forget the $200 3D glasses you’ll need. LOL

Once the price of this stuff reasonable I might join the 3D team. As for now, I’m just going to be playing the sidelines.

+ DarthDanMan on June 9th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

How long is PSN down for maintenance?

+ NashTheSlash on June 9th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

Will this work with Panasonic 3D TVs or just Sony 3D TVs?

+ ZaZeeMan on June 9th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

Will this free upgrade enable 3D on my projector? What a waste of time this 3D is…one of the biggest technology scams I’ve ever heard. Just a great excuse to charge an extra $1000 more for a TV with a $5 3D decoder built-in. And don’t even get me started on the glasses….

PAGE 1 2 3 5