GTAV PS4

The Ultimate 3D Experience: Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3 Available Tomorrow

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Jun 09, 2010 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hi everyone! The moment is here — starting tomorrow, high-definition stereoscopic 3D gaming will be available in your very own living rooms! As you already know, all PlayStation 3 systems are already equipped with everything they need to play stereoscopic 3D games. Thanks to a free firmware update released this past April, the PS3 system is the only console on the market that can support full stereoscopic 3D gaming — right from your living room, and with no additional charge.

Today, our sister company Sony Electronics announced its 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs are now available for pre-sale and will ship to retailers later this month. There are a broad range of models available in different screen sizes, some packaged with active glasses and others without, giving consumers the option to choose which 3D entertainment solution works for them. For more information, click here.

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

We’re extremely excited to be at the helm of a whole new gaming experience unlike anything offered before. Starting tomorrow, the following games and demos will be available in stereoscopic 3D for anyone who owns a PS3 system and 3D television:

• WipEout HD (full game): Experience the adrenalin rush of navigating the twists and turns of futuristic racetracks at breathtaking speeds like never before.
  • Super Stardust HD (full game): Experience asteroids fly past you as you navigate the deadly battleground — only a battle on a cosmic level will save the indigenous life below from destruction.
  • PAIN: The stereoscopic 3D content will include the Downtown area and tutorial along with three modes, including two new modes created specifically with stereoscopic 3D in mind, Alien Toss and Ice Breaker.
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift (demo): MotorStorm Pacific Rift in stereoscopic 3D puts you in the driver’s seat of a buggy for a one track, single player race around the deadly Kanaloa Bay for a dangerously real battle against ruthless opponents.

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

To give PS3 and new 3D capable BRAVIA owners a sample of 3D entertainment at its best, 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs will come with PlayStation Network vouchers to download these four stereoscopic 3D game experiences, which total more than 100 hours of gameplay.

We’re also announcing that The Fight: Lights Out will be available in stereoscopic 3D, combining PlayStation Move with 3D to deliver an immersive and realistic gaming experience unlike anything you’ve played before. This is only a small taste of the 3D experiences you can expect with the new 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs and PS3. With new gaming experiences coming this year in the form of stereoscopic 3D gaming and PlayStation Move, as well as an expansive software line-up, the PS3 system truly does everything and continues to be at the forefront of innovation. In addition, 3D Blu-ray movie playback is coming to the PS3 this year via firmware update. Stay tuned for even more 3D news and announcements coming in the near future!

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming on PlayStation 3

+ Nynja on June 9th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

I refuse to dump any amount of money in 3D tech until the image quality is on par with HD.

I spent thousands… THOUSANDS of dollars over the past 3 years upgrading to HD. Now corporations want me to dump thousands more to downgrade visuals?

No thanks.

+ BEASTXJASON on June 9th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

You should have included standard 3d as an option. This is absurd that we have to buy a new tv for this. As long as titles arent made in 3d only Ill continue to love and support my ps3. The first time a game comes out Retail thats 3d only Im off this boat.

+ Raacky on June 9th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Man, times are tough, are we just supposed to forget about how crappy it is out there and put on 3D glasses? Anyways, seems to expensive, also who wants to wear glasses when watching tv? i sure don’t =\

+ maddymad on June 9th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

I hope SONY won’ make 3D the primary focus of PS3 gaming.

+ footballrule on June 9th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

This is cool, but I don’t think i’ll be getting a new TV for awhile. So this means no 3D for me.

+ Spajdah on June 9th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Will you guys update something else? or is it just 3D?

+ FJ1100_rider on June 9th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

To those saying nobody owns a 3-DTV yet or it’s too expensive —- I bought a 600hz samsung plasma 3-D 720p hdtv ( 42 inch ) last year for only $838 plus taxes .
that’s right , they’re very affordable and since 3-D will only be in 720p there’s no downside to not having 1080p

but wait , I recently updated my tv firmware and suddenly it says in the info it’s broadcasting in full 1080p
awesome deal . can’t wait the get those wipeout and super stardust updates , all I’ve had in stereoscopic 3-D is Invincible Tiger .

+ scorpio182 on June 9th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

Good for SONY for being their first but like many people here not many of us have 3D TV’s. Heck most of us just got upgraded to HDTV in the past few years so to have to upgrade again so soon for 3D is really going to slow the adoption of it.

+ Barnolde on June 9th, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

Will the FULL game of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift be updated to support 3D?

+ TakiFuGu on June 9th, 2010 at 12:59 pm said:

@31

The problem is not 3D itself. It’s the fact that we all need to run out to BestBuy and spend a grand or two not including the $200 3D glasses. The majority of people on here and the ones that I know recently just bought an HDTV. I’d say, not even about a year ago. Until the LED 3D TVs & glasses are settled (meaning reasonably priced)…it might be hard to make that jump.
Maybe an HDTV trade in program might help. Who knows?

About a year ago I bought two big Sony Brivia HDTV. One for my bedroom and the other for my living room. How can I justify buying another TV? I don’t have a money tree in my back yard.

+ zombie9 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

3-D Tv is here and still no voice chat. Glad to see no one at Sony is listining to there fans. But we will find out next week at E3 MAYBE?

+ MattyPHATty on June 9th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

Really? Is this why there is no PSN today? For the three people that care about this? Lame.

+ RolexDPracer on June 9th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

3D TV is a little too rich for my blood. I’m sure it’s cool though.

+ RaymondBel on June 9th, 2010 at 1:03 pm said:

This is a really bad business move from Sony to put so much resources in a technology that is still not broadly distributed or accepted. There are so many other things that people want implemented on their PS3 or other Sony products… way before 3D support.

As other have said, most of us updated to HDTV during the last 5 years. So the majority of us won’t be updating our TV before another 10-15 years. Sony should really revise their business model.

+ Jetup on June 9th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Wait is this a update? Or patches?

+ PaperCarrier on June 9th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

The firmware is free but the TV isn’t. Glasses? No thanks.

+ inuyasha5400 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

so is there going to be a firmware tomorrow to fully make the ps3 use 3D or am i wrong?

+ Psikorps on June 9th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

I have considered getting a 3D TV, but it wouldnt be a Sony, I would go with a Samsung, like $900 cheaper for the same size, picture is just as good, same 240hz, same 1080p, same 3D…but $900 is alot of diffrence.

I will end up waiting at least a year to see not only where the technology goes, but for prices to come down.

+ Enigma777 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

3D = a cheap novelty

It adds absolutely nothing new to the experience except headaches and destroying your eyesight even faster.

+ cybershinigami87 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

I got to play couple of 3D games and I hope it remains an option. It gave me a headache after playing it for an hour. Anyway cool that it’s there and if it’s done right who knows. I’m more interested though in when the firmware will be released for the movies. I saw Monsters Inc on a stereoscopic set and that didn’t give me headache.

+ PaperCarrier on June 9th, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

Who asked for 3D anyway?

+ lenandude on June 9th, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

Do any of your Bravia TVs support passive 3D? Active 3D costs a lot more money since you have to buy special, expensive glasses.

+ hife on June 9th, 2010 at 1:20 pm said:

Ohhhh, The Fight in 3D sounds very fun. Hopefully I’ll have my 3D TV by the time the Move is out.

+ redknight4 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

So you are realesing updates for 3 games that have been available for a really long time and a demo.

Will these work with samsung and panasonic 3d tv’s or just sony brava’s tvs

Also g4 doesn’t know that mr. pain and pain are the same game.

+ MARKix on June 9th, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

How about giving us all 2.5 3D for those of us with 100hz tv’s, I can’t believe it will be that much different..!?

+ TheDark12 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

Judging by the comments here, more than 75% of people here have just upgraded to an HDTV (like me), and as such won’t be buying a 3DTV for many years. Those who will are either wealthy, caught up in the 3D hype (thanks to Avatar), or both!

Also make sure developers don’t feel obligated to include 3D in their games! The last thing a gamer wants after buying a $2000+ 3DTV is a graphically unpolished 3D version of what could have been a beautiful game in HD.

Bottom line, KEEP 3D OUT OF VIDEO GAMES until it’s commonplace.. it’s just too early! It’s not always best to be first… take the 360 for example! Started selling a year earlier than PS3 with a 75% fail rate! Now Sony is taking the market cause the 360′s have broken 3+ times since then and people are fed up. Tsk tsk Microsoft… :)

Anyway, Comment #40 @LokeSTL… Well said, I fully agree.

+ sscoolChea on June 9th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

Why do people who can’t afford [DELETED] always comment . Its a great technology if you have the funds for it . We are freakin broke right now so yes I would be piss that i can’t embraced this technology yet . people who can afford stuff will always love new technology . PEOPLE WHO CAN’T WILL ALWAYS BE HATERS …

+ Jeigh on June 9th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

… -_-

Great… After a day without PSN due to maintenance, the first thing I get to do is download firmware that I get the feeling is going to crash many PS3s for a feature that I can’t even afford, let alone have any interest in using.

And that’s JUST what PAIN needs: ANOTHER patch. I’ve given up on trying to play it since, it would take around an hour just to update. Perhaps it’s time patches were given the option of background downloading or being put on the PSN Store.

+ triple_lei on June 9th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

Eh, I just spent about $250 on a PC monitor because all actual HDTVs have gaming lag that I can’t shake…

+ sscoolChea on June 9th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

Why do people hate that the idea is there ? Why don’t you people not comment at all if you for one dont have the money or two don’t like it . You act like sony is charging you more for this . It’s youre choice if you want to buy a 3d television or not to play 3d games . I love the fact that if i had 3 grand for a 3dtv i can play 3d games on my ps3 …PEOPLE WAKE UP YOUR NOT THAT DUMB…..STOP HANGIN AROUND WITH 360 FOLKS

+ Tigerriot on June 9th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

It’s great to see Sony continue to invest tons of money and resources into features that 2% of the PS3 userbase will take advantage of.

Great planning.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 9th, 2010 at 1:41 pm said:

Why is the fight lights out 3D and not online? All the move games are not online, missed opportunity.

+ thevampirejake on June 9th, 2010 at 1:43 pm said:

interesting….interesting…

+ polo155 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

@76, i doubt we waiting on an update, i think its just preps to the network for when e3 makes there announcments the switches in place will be activated like your HOME icon before it went public was on your xmb, inactive/invisible. we’ll see. and prepsa formaybe PSN+… as for 3d tv, i cannot afford it and will not even try to get it, i love the crispyness of my HDTV.

+ kzarling on June 9th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

To the people complaining that “no one” owns 3D TVs yet:

I’t slike the chicken or the egg. If the situation were reversed, there would be people complaining that 3D TVs are stupid because you can’t play games in 3D.

Think of it this way – if you do buy a 3D TV in the next year or two, then your PS3 will be immediately ready to play 3D games from the first day you bring your TV home.

+ plaztiksyke on June 9th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

Will the PS3 correctly display 1080p 3D on the Panasonic Viera VT25?

When we download the patches, will we see visual (and/or audio) enhancements even without 3D? For instance, I know that Super Stardust HD basically got a rendering rewrite in this process. It would be great to see some visual enhancement to PAIN, especially the awful-looking blocky shadows.

+ Karsghul on June 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm said:

I may need a 3rd job for this.

+ Bioman20 on June 9th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

3D=Epic Fail

+ PaperCarrier on June 9th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Sure I can afford to buy a 3DTV and like to be up to date with technology but I won’t buying one because I feel it’s unnecessary and I don’t like wearing goggles but that’s just me.

+ ProjectInfiniti on June 9th, 2010 at 2:08 pm said:

lol @ people who still says “epic fail”.

+ The-Devils-Dance on June 9th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

If a game is in 3D will players have the option to turn it off if and just play regularly with out the 3D?

+ gold5225 on June 9th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

@91 yes the player has the option to use the 3D or not use it.

+ homeboy79 on June 9th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

This is awesome news! Congratulations on being the first! I am still and will continue to be a proud PS3 owner! :)

+ PaperCarrier on June 9th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

Can’t see why developers would make games in 3D without it being optional, they want to sell to as may customers as possible ad 3D being mandatory would limit sales.

+ Spinout209 on June 9th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Do we need 3D glasses for this? If so, where do we get them?

+ xxnike629xx on June 9th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

It’s great that 3D is now capable on the PS3. But too bad that 99% of us don’t have a 3D TV nor do we have plans on getting one any time soon.

>_>

How about backwards compatibility with PS2 games and DreamCast games on PSN first?

+ katsuo7171 on June 9th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Ok how about this, we buy those 4 games and you throw in a Bravia for free or those who have been loyal to the Playstation brand just get one on their doorstep tomorrow morning?

….. It was worth a try. :)

Anyway, yea like most people here I’ll be waiting 2-3 years until I can actually afford one, just like the introduction of HD Tvs.

+ netassassin on June 9th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Cool and all but has the PS3 and 3D games been tried with the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 and older 3D Ready TVs?

+ katsuo7171 on June 9th, 2010 at 2:52 pm said:

Heh just rechecked the price: $2,100; $3500; or $4000. Jesus I thought I heard $1700 from somebody… So I made a typo instead of 2-3 years I meant to say 4-5 years. Patience is a virtue…

+ guitain on June 9th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

I think it’s great that Sony are spending money and actually getting the technology out to the consumers that actually care about 3D and wish to spend the bucks on it. I, for one, don’t really need 3D right now, and don’t really want to spend a lot on a new TV, but I’m glad that Sony is out with 3D already, so when I’m ready for 3D, Sony is ready to give me the kind of 3D-experience I want. Not the headachey-blurred-disappointing kind…