PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Introducing MotorStorm Apocalypse

Matt Southern's Avatar + Posted by Matt Southern on Jun 10, 2010 // Game Director, Evolution Studios

More than two years ago we decided where the MotorStorm festival should head next, and I’ve been itching to talk about it ever since. Now, as part of the global announcement, and with E3 just around the corner, it’s so exciting to finally be able to share some information about the MotorStorm Apocalypse.

MotorStorm Apocalypse

Here are some of the headlines…

You May Have Heard…We’re Heading to the City!

But this is no ordinary city. In the same way that the first MotorStorm was set in Monument Valley, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other Pacific islands, we’ve set this MotorStorm in ‘The City’, inspired by the West Coast of America, and, in particular, the Bay Area of California.

MotorStorm’s brand of racing is not about ‘going urban’ though. We all know that the lunatic ‘Stormers would take every expectation about street racing and turn it upside-down. So this is what they’ve done. Welcome to Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing!

MotorStorm Apocalypse

Post Apocalyptic? NO!

The city has been abandoned and somewhat damaged after a tremor. When the ‘Stormers find this out, they head straight in. Pretty soon, two things become clear: it isn’t completely empty and Mother Nature isn’t done yet!

Throughout the game the city will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race. Routes will be affected, as will our emergent gameplay.

Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there.

Two groups have also stayed behind, and neither takes too kindly to MotorStorm’s arrival. I’ll talk more about them another time, but for now I’ll say that when they realise there isn’t going to be much of a city left, they start to destroy it too.

This isn’t post-apocalyptic. It’s apocalyptic. You are there when it happens. It’s survival racing.

MotorStorm Apocalypse

Variety, Chronology and Depth are King

We’ve listened to everything people said about our previous games and, as a result, one of our priorities is to make a more satifsying overall game experience. In our single-player mode, every race is unique. When a building comes down it stays down. When you race a track again, the buildings will still be down and the MotorStorm crew will have carved yet more routes into the ruined landscape. The only time you’ll see the same thing twice is when you choose to. Underscoring this chronology is the fact that you’ll get to see the game from three different viewpoints.

Nothing annoys me more than the notion that an accessible action racer must also be shallow or plain dumb. So once you have experienced the single-player journey, the true depth of our title will come to the fore. Our overhauled ‘Wreckreation’ mode has been heavily influenced by the best online titles: from shooters and action adventures, RPGs and platformers. It features:

• Sixteen player online multiplayer.
  • Four player split-screen.
  • Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
  • Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
  • Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
  • A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
  • Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
  • Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
  • A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.

Lots More

We’ve got a lot more to reveal too; things like replacing loading screens with cut-scenes that finally reveal what it’s like to be a part of the MotorStorm subculture, to changes to handling and boosting, to the five completely new vehicle classes making their way to this festival.

The end of the world…is just the beginning.

Let me know your thoughts.

MotorStorm Apocalypse MotorStorm Apocalypse

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6

+ jBat17 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

this + modnation racer + gt5 + f1 = best year for racing fans ever

+ ynp7 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Why would you say cities of the West Coast when you just mean the Bay Area of California? It’s not like they’re even remotely interchangeable.

+ JohnAlden on June 10th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Shame on you Sony, shame on you for showing off all these exclusives before E3 press conference. j/k :-)

+ VaaN_RUS on June 10th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Why its only “MotorStorm Apocalypse”, i think it should be “MotorStorm 3: Apocalypse”. Developers repeat their mistake with Motorstorm 2.

+ Rockso78 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

Matt, can you please ease my worried mind about if there are monster trucks in this or not? I hope they weren’t a one time deal for Pacific Rift.

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Absolutely! Every vehicle from Pacific Rift is in Apocalypse, along with 5 new ones.

+ Tr3p1dat10n on June 10th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

So this game actually does look pretty impressive..but, e3 is in a couple of days, you guys have that much stuff? I’d hope so.. o.o

+ Anti-Steven on June 10th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

I’m so glad I have a PS3. Even if Sony announces nothing new at E3, There’s still so much to look foreword to just in first party titles. Now add in third party stuff, it’s a good time to be a gamer. :)

+ TheGuardianFID on June 10th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

Ahem, do I really have to say it??? SOLD!!! 8)

+ Isamito on June 10th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

other surprise less of E3

+ megamixer on June 10th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

No mention of Arctic Edge? Where’s the love Evo? :(

Here’s to hoping there are either no trophies associated with the online gameplay, or that the ranking up (more like down am I right?) system is much much kinder than Pacific Rifts.

+ Senju_Karim on June 10th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Been wondering what Sony has been thinking releasing all these major titles before E3 and as Jeff said, its what the net has been raging about for the past few weeks. Sony is in the spotlight and I hope that even more/greater surprises are in store for next tuesday!

Either that or Sony realises they are the leak champion and decided to do away with surprises :P either way, the next few days will be hard for me! (we in addition to numerous exams…)

Gametrailers has a vid up about so “major figure” in gaming revealing a new title tomorrow night…I’m thinking Jaffe, Kojima or Nomura…E3 kills me annually! :D

+ Mobius_124 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:43 am said:

Soooo? whats left for E3 now? any big surprises that will blow our socks off? any Gigatons for E3?

+ Sid Shuman on June 10th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

You’ll find out at E3. :)

+ none47 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

sounds awesome, i can’t wait for it to come out. love the perks and customization

+ megamixer on June 10th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

@VaaN_RUS
Because having numbers associated with a games title can be bad. This is the 4th MS game in 5 years, but you wouldn’t know that going by their titles so the franchise appears less milked to people not in the know.

I am however disappointed in the games title in a different way. One word instead of two? They broke the trend!

Monument Valley
Pacific Rift
Arctic Edge
Apocalypse

Feels wrong, man.

+ iComet on June 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

I’m hoping Sony will save some of their best game announcements for E3! If they choose to show a lot of PS Move, it better be some unseen hardcore games! I really see Kevin Butler arrive Iron Man 2 style at E3, that would be a big win! ;D

+ MAGNUM-RAM on June 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

FCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

Glad you’re excited, but hey man, save some for next week :D

+ Shadow-Man_4 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

Are you planning to support it with updates and DLC?

I’m asking this because I had Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and you guys didn’t make any changes that made players kept coming back to the game.

I hope you are planning to support it well this time, unlike Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

We’re really embracing Sony’s mantra of ‘Play, Create, Share’ with some exciting community-driven content for Wreckreation.

+ Stinkinmushroom on June 10th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

DAY FREAKIN’ ONE, that looks insane!!!

+ Gorvi on June 10th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

Are races going to be linear point A to point B races or regular lap based tracks?

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

A mixture of both, probably focusing more on lap-based races. Ultimately it’s whatever feels right for the race experience – we want to pace the game well, have enough variety in there.

+ NoxNoctisUmbra on June 10th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

Hello, I am a Fan of Motorstorm since day one release! The first and the second game. Both are very awesome and amazingly kick ass!

Few questions.

*Will there be a replay mode? Also a cool video editor? if not would it be possible for a patch or even DLC ? paid or not we need it!

*Any weather effects this time?

*Also would it be possible since its 3rd game on the PS3 of Motorstorm, It would have been cool to see some kind of MotorStorm remake with all 3 games combined into one. To switch from any map on a dime, will all the features of latests version? Maybe someting before the PS4 comes out ;) That would have been awesome!

+ PaperCarrier on June 10th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

Looks pretty good but why so many PS3 games being announced before E3? Is there anything left for the show?

+ Mobius_124 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

BTW, i know that the game supports split-screen online as well, which is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

but will they be able to sign in to their PSN accounts as well for split-screen online play? you know, for their stats, unlocking trophies and all????

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

Yep, totally. Multiple logins are supported on PS3, so we’re definitely going to be making use of it.

+ Berae on June 10th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

hmmm…. awesome!

+ usalborg on June 10th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Few things:

1- Great news, and awesome features, but just curious why couldn’t you just hold this announcement for E3?

2-Please no CGI trailers this time… many people put their expectation to that which is a negative thing…but it is not saying MS1 and especially MS2 was awsome

3-Please do not release MS3 along GT5…this gonna hurt the sales of both games

Really looking forward to MS3… I am big just big fan of motorstorm :)

+ Radant128 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

Is this game coming out this year? Please let it be this year. :D

+ DrBingogh on June 10th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

WOW! Have yet to play a MotorStorm game but this very well could be my first!

+ Shqype on June 10th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

WOW! I am supremely impressed by this!

You should know that I generally do not like racing games. They seem very boring to me. The only one I’ve purchased for the PS3 was Burnout Paradise. Although I downloaded the Motorstorm 2 demo, I did not play it save once. With this single post, you have intrigued me and I am really eager to purchase this title.

I love how you are including up to 4 player splitscreen, and a combination of split-screen and online. So many games are missing this. The customization sounds great too: from customizing your vehicle, to improving it with perks you earn, to creating your own tracks and game modes/victory conditions for offline and online play, this seems like a complete package.

Having the city crumble while you race through it is a nice touch that I’m sure will look glorious in HD splendor.

This game looks fantastic and I can’t wait to see more about it. Excellent post on the PS Blog, you’ve reeled me in!

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

I’m really glad we’ve peaked your interest! We’re trying to make MotorStorm: Apocalypse as accessbile as we can. We’ve taken our inspiration from all kinds of games, movies, books, etc. Basically we want to include as much cool stuff as we can :)

+ jefet21 on June 10th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

i buy the two previous motorstorm awsome games the better offrace i played and this will be no exception and i like the way you create cars without no brand and play with friend is important in these games and you know it and improve the online good job evo, but i have some questions this game will support move or 3d ? when it will come out ? it have some gameplay changes ? what bring you guys to change to wild jungle ect to apoclps city ?

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

The setting was really important to us. We wanted something that was a contrast to what we’ve done before, but we didn’t just want it to be set in a city. The earthquake is perfect for us; it allows us to make a totally unique urban environment to race in – and totally wreck :)

+ trustkill on June 10th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

I am VERY excited about this news. I somehow haven’t picked up pacific rift, but now i’m determined to get myself caught up on everything Motorstorm!

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Totally! Pacific Rift is still amazing and available on Platinum.

+ Ashenshugura on June 10th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

This game going to support 3D?

+ Sindred on June 10th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

One thing I’d love to suggest for this series is coop campaign. It’d be nice to race split screen on the campaign and earn collective points for the followup races. My fiance and I play MS a lot, on PS3 and PSP, and we compete against eachother, but it’d be nice if we could advance together ala (gulp) Mario Kart.

+ gcard on June 10th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

This is amazing. I was a player of the first Motorstorm from Day 1 of the demo and have been playing the series ever since. But what you’ve done here has blown all my expectations out of the water. I can’t wait to find out more about Wreckcreation and the chronology stuff.

+ usalborg on June 10th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

PS->3-<MS

+ Barnolde on June 10th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

I loved the XMB screenshot export of MS: PR, is this one going to support video replays and maybe YouTube uploading?

+ PaperCarrier on June 10th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

I loved the first two Motorstorm games. Will there be any support for PlayStation Home from this game such as unlockable rewards?

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 11:10 am said:

We’ll definitely be supporting Home – I’ve always been a fan.

+ KazeEternal on June 10th, 2010 at 11:03 am said:

Please tell me you guys are considering Mad Max related downloadable content lol that would be awesome.

+ jimfear on June 10th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Will it work with a frustrating, lame and really cheap rubber band A.I again?

+ dono_1994 on June 10th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

never like motorstorm…played the demo 4 a while but THIS…im buyin this

+ S-E-G on June 10th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

looks amazing, love this game, keep up the good work
add some home rewards to please thanks

+ Tigerriot on June 10th, 2010 at 11:10 am said:

Please! Whatever you do just don’t include the same obnoxious rubberband AI. The previous Motorstorm games were nearly ruined by it.

+ waypoetic on June 10th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

I’m so god damn excited about this game! I played Pacific Rift yesterday and i had so much fun. Just read the article over at IGN and now the whole article here on the blog… All i want to know right now is, release : 2010 or 2011?

+ Link01 on June 10th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

2010 or 2011 release, that’s all I need to know

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Early 2011. It’ll be worth the wait, trust me ;)

+ tvagostelo on June 10th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

This is a must buy!

+ Exalted_Knight on June 10th, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

Love the motorstorm franchise. Great work guys, quick question or concern, but is Custom Soundtracks going to blast its way onto Motorstorm: Apocalypse just like we had in Pacific Rift, dont get me wrong the music is great in MS:PR but having the custom soundtrack option available is one of the reasons i bought Motorstorm: PR, that and the game is friggin awesome. Cant wait to E3, my 1st ever Motorstorm Pre-order!!!

+ Globox_82 on June 10th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

So this is for next year, correct?

+ Matt Southern on June 10th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

Custom Soundtracks are definitely in. We’ve got some really exciting plans for our soundtrack as well so watch this space.

+ darkwing75 on June 10th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

will we have some kind of clan support?

+ DuncanR2N on June 10th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

Hey you know what would be fantastic would be an open city. So in between races, instead of hitting a menu screen with event listings, you are able to drive around and explore like some of the NFS or Burnout games. I would absolutely love to be able to drive around ‘the island’ or in monument valley. And an old beat up west coast city? That would be fantastic.

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on June 10th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

I wasn’t really interested until you said 4 player splitscreen against 12 online opponents. That is unbelievably cool.

Will we need to buy some ice packs, because lesser consoles would be on fire trying to run this game.

+ angelspawn77 on June 10th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

oh sony, WHAT ARE YOU SAVING FOR E3!!?? I hope its something thats amazing because you’re revealing all your great stuff before hand!! On the topic of motorstorm though, it looks great!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6