GTAV PS4

Yakuza 4 Coming Exclusively to PS3 in Spring 2011

Aaron Webber's Avatar + Posted by Aaron Webber on Jun 11, 2010 // Associate Brand Manager, Sega of America

Alright Yakuza fans — time for some good news.

After some amazing passion seen across the board from fans regarding the release of Yakuza 3, SEGA is proud to announce that the fourth installment of the Yakuza series is heading West, and will be releasing exclusively on the PlayStation 3 in the spring of 2011!

Yakuza 4 for PS3

Yakuza 4 also builds on the style of the original Yakuza foundation by adding three new playable characters, each with a distinct personality and fighting style. They all have connections to the Tojo clan — but what those connections are, and what they mean with regard to a man named Kazuma Kiryu, is just one part of what will truly make things interesting.

We’d also like to confirm what we feel is important news for our fans: the Hostess Clubs will be returning in Yakuza 4!

Yakuza 4 for PS3

Finally, we’d like to let you guys field questions to the man whose name goes hand in hand with the Yakuza (or Ryu Ga Gotoku in Japan) series himself: Nagoshi-san! Write your questions in the comments below, and with a bit of luck, your question will be among others asked after next week’s E3!

Good luck, and we hope all you Yakuza fans out there just found your day got a little brighter. If you’ll excuse us, that plush cat in the UFO Catcher at Club SEGA has been making fun of us all morning, and it’s about time we showed him our perception skills.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Blkant on June 11th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Graphics look a little bit better than Yakuza 3, is that really the case?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

Yes, it most definitely is. The environments are richer, the game is more detailed, and on the whole a lot of elements have been improved graphically.

+ Destiny89 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

Woow really good news, i haven’t picked up Yakuza 3 yet but i will during the upcoming weeks, Thanks Sega :)

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

I’m a little biased, I think you’ll really enjoy it. :)(Especially if you like RPG’s, brawlers, or anything Japanese.)

If you haven’t played the past games, there are also two built-in movies that will recap the past two games (PS2 exclusives) to get you up to speed.

Thanks for supporting the series!

+ Destiny89 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

O and a question, will there be any removed content from the NA version like what happened to Yakuza 3? i really hope nothing will be removed, just keep it the way it is

Bring on more games on ps3 thats all i need :)

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

One of the things I’m happy to confirm here is that the Hostess Clubs, which weren’t in Yakuza 3, are returning here in the west in Yakuza 4.

And yes, that means both the hostesses and the club itself!

+ MeanBob on June 11th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

I’m ususally not excited for games anymore unless it’s something that really peaks my interestes, but this game I CANNOT wait for!

+ xAllanKx on June 11th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

old news?

i have never play a yakuza before, im watiting till the price drop to try it

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

Have you played Shenmue? The two games are still fairly different, but it’s a far more accurate comparison than the often overused GTA, I think.

There’s a demo for Y3 out on PSN right now – definitely give it a whirl and check it out, if you’re interested!

+ theBedBurner on June 11th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Is Sony leaving anything for E3?

+ Viper7 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Oh yes!
Can’t wait!

Hopefully this means there will be no cuts, and the release date is in more favorable position than the last one. Competing with popular titles like god of war III and Final fantasy seemed pretty risky considering the past success of the game.

+ UNCyrus on June 11th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

*crosses fingers for Shogi*

+ SyphonFilter- on June 11th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Should be good.

+ trapper12 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

Awesome! Glad that you guys aren’t cutting out content on this one since I was really disappointed that some content was cut out of Yakuza 3. Thanks for the great news Aaron.

+ Blackheart10111 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

Will this game have the option for English dubbed voice tracks?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Like Yakuza 3 and 2, this game will feature the original Japanese voice actors, and will offer subtitles so those of us who aren’t fluid Japanese speakers still understand what’s going on.

Personally, I think this is a major positive. The Yakuza series has always had an all-star cast of actors in Japan, and the polish and attention to detail they put in is something you can hear even without knowing the language.

+ PublicSudoku on June 11th, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

Hooray for hostess clubs!

Can’t wait! I preordered this bad boy yesterday as soon as it showed up on Amazon.

+ Traestar on June 11th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Question, are there any new features that could be announced as of right now besides the return of hostess clubs? And I love the inspirations on the cell phone, that is genius!!! Any chance thats returning?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

The inspirations are back, and they’ve even extended to the new characters, too!

If you think cell phone blogging is awesome, wait until you see some epic on-the-spot-wood-carving inspirations.

+ PooglyWoogly on June 11th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Dear Nagoshi-san,

Are there any other types of games you’d like to make?

+ OnesOwnGrief on June 11th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

@xAllanKx Its already been dropped to like $40 at Best Buy in NA. It’s well worth the $40 but $60 was entirely debatable.

+ Daniel_Gonzz on June 11th, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

Will I be able to understand Yakuza 4’s story despite not playing the 3rd one (in fact I’ve never played any Yakuza game)? :P

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

You’ll be able to play through it and still understand a lot of it even if you haven’t played the older games. That said, people who have played the older games (or even just caught up via the movies in Yakuza 3) will appreciate a lot of the finer touches, and will have a deeper connection with a lot of the characters.

In short, yes, but I’d highly recommend playing at least Yakuza 3 so that you see where the story left off. Other people in the comments – back me up on this if you agree. :)

+ RedBullRacer on June 11th, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Yakuza is my favourite game series ever, I actually wrote a letter and posted it off to SEGA asking for Yakuza 4, and for it to also have Hostess Clubs, wow! I am so happy, this is the best news all year so far!

+ Callahan09 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Hello, I am wondering if there is any chance there Yakuza Kenzan will eventually be localized and released in English?

+ somethingatt on June 11th, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

THANK YOU SEGA!!!! I bought the special version of Yakuza 3 NEW and I will do it for Yakuza 4 to keep supporting your awesomeness!

Really appreciated!

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

You are awesome. Thank you for supporting the series!

+ Rytteren on June 11th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

now the money question for sega. will we get another valcyria chronicels game on the ps3??
last you said: buy the dlc and we’ll se about that and a trophy patch. i bought all the dlc.. and then “snif” you made VC2 on psp… whaaaaaaaaaaaa..

ohh well yakuza 4 is awsome! stil havent completet the last of the 101 quest. he is mean, you know who ;)

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

Valkyria Chronicles 2 for the PSP was actually something that was planned and in development in Japan long before the fans came together for that amazing reheat last year. In Japan as well, the popularity of the PSP is also a great way to try and expand the fanbase of a series or a relatively new IP (ie, Valkyria.)

Having played VC2, I feel personally that the game really delivers on what fans are looking for in the series. I suppose that’s another blog for another time, though you can be sure that Jeff and I have got it covered. ;)

+ Mobius_124 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

wheres my shenmue 3?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

How about a game of Lucky Hit?

+ tearsofash on June 11th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Are you guys going to exclude the overly Japanese stuff again?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

Based on fan feedback, we’ve made a lot of changes this time around – and for the better. Hostess clubs, which I mentioned above, are returning, and in the future we’ll be able to talk in even more detail about the ways we’re making Yakuza 4 a much more authentic step into Japan.

+ Shin-Ra on June 11th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

Yakuza 3 platinum is mine! 80+ hours of gameplay. :D

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to this.

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

Well done, and congrats!

+ fedex682 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

Yes Yes yes yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yakuza 3 is one of the best games I have ever played. More of it is always good. Thanks Sega!

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:29 am said:

Glad you enjoyed Yakuza 3! We’ll also have more news on Yakuza 4 next week at E3.

+ SarshelYam on June 11th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

Thank you Aaron! I hate to look a gift-horse in the mouth, but any chance we can get Kenzan!? Pretty please with a cherry on top…unless of course you’re allergic or don’t like cherries.

Also, thank you for keeping the hostess clubs in. That means a lot to the fans.

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Not a prob, I’ll pass that on to all the teams at SEGA.

Thankfully, I’m not allergic. (and actually do like cherries) With regard to your question about Kenzan, I don’t have any news to pass along at the moment.

+ Voozi on June 11th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Hell yea Yakuza 4! Woke up to this news the other day on the Sega Blog so was a nice way to start the day.

After Yakuza 4 is released here, can you guys consider bringing over Yakuza Kenzan pretty please?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Hearing that a new Yakuza game is coming west is always a nice way to start the day. :)

I’ll ask for you about Kenzan, but right now I know the focus is very much on doing a good job with Yakuza 4.

+ TheRealAlpha2 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Have there been any tweeks made to the fighting controls compared to Yakuza 3, I know you said there’ll be new characters with different fighting styles but I mean more like additional combat technicques, perhaps stealth gameplay?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

The fighting in Yakuza 4 is similar to the other games in the series, so generally once you enter a fight it’s just a matter of skill and wits to see who goes down first.

Stealth gameplay isn’t something you’ll really see (since you and your opponents are generally just a few feet away and looking each other in the eye), but the differences in the combat style of the four main characters make them feel really unique when you play them.

In this way, I think even old fans of the series will be able to enjoy the new experience of learning the strengths, weaknesses, and the always-awesome heat moves of all the characters.

+ megamixer on June 11th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

Is this one going to be butchered as well? What of the upcoming PSP Yakuza installment?

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

The Hostess Clubs will be returning in the western version of Yakuza 4. We’ll also have more news about other game features in the near future.

No word right now on Japan’s recently-announced PSP installment, but time will tell!

+ DeathGazer on June 11th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

YES!!! Much sooner than I expected :D

Thank you SEGA! You’re doing the right thing!

+ SpecDotSign on June 11th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

*Doing his best Marv Albert*
“Yeeeeeessssss!”

+ Dragonzblaze on June 11th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

yay for hostesses and hostes cub returning woot day one purchase i have yakuza 1 2 and 3 now geeting yakuza 4 next year

+ Dragonzblaze on June 11th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

i hope there will b a demo for yakuza 4 on the ps store in the future

+ jjmusicman on June 11th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Thank you.
I admit, I didn’t pick up Yakuza 3 even though I was really interested in it simply because you unfairly cut content out.

If you leave it as is, I’m pre-ordering Yakuza 4 stat.

+ gus_xl on June 11th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

It wasn’t so much the Hostess Clubs, but the MahJong Clubs for me. I love that game and it’s a shame that they were removed. Are there any in Y4?

+ Kaorobean on June 11th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

I avoided buying Yakuza 3 because of cut content – it’s a practice I don’t want my money supporting.

Will Yakuza 4 have content cut as well?

+ boxmyth on June 11th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

Thank you Sega!

+ Denuq on June 11th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

still waiting for the hostess club to be put back in y3 before i buy it, does not look like i will be playing either untill then, good for people that dont mind cut content from games though

+ maplestory555 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

hey plz do u know what day is naruto ultimate ninja heroes 3 coming on the PSN plzzz!!!!

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

Kazuma Kiryu would like you to know that he does not approve of Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3 requests on his manly and Hostess Club focused Yakuza 4 blog.

If Google doesn’t have the answers, it’s very likely the internet simply doesn’t know. :)

+ chrisguy22 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

I really Gotta pick Yakuza 3 up before 4 comes out I wasn’t to happy with the demo for 3 tho it had English subtitles ughhh

+ Chvor on June 11th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

I played the japanese Y4 demo and the graphics and details were definitely better. Can you guys get rid of the 5 gig install?

+ androvsky on June 11th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

I watched the Japanese demo subtitled on youtube, looks like the story and characters are a big improvement over Yakuza 3, and Yakuza 3 was pretty good. :) I’m glad to hear we’re getting the hostess clubs again, and I assume we’re getting the hostess training mission since it’s part of the storyline… so what aren’t we getting? Onsens? Mahjong? Something else that gives it a uniquely Japanese feel but doesn’t require much effort to localize?

Question for Nagoshi-san: The new characters seem to give the series a new freshness, but the setting stays the same. Is Kamurocho the real main character of the Yakuza series?

+ Chvor on June 11th, 2010 at 11:03 am said:

Oh also want to mention that playing ping-pong with a super sexy girl in Y4 is awesome. if you do good you can zoom on her “parts” as you play but you might miss to hit the ball.

+ Slythex on June 11th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

Sweet! I just finished Yakuza 3 this week. Will be picking this up for sure.

+ ProjectInfiniti on June 11th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

Please don’t go back on your word about this being exclusive! :]

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

No worries there. The entire Yakuza series has been Sony exclusive, and Yakuza 4 isn’t about to break that mold. It is and will remain exclusively on the PS3!

+ TheManda on June 11th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

I just started 3, and am really enjoying it. Bring on 4! And while your at it, bring us Valkyria Chronicles 3 back to the PS3, too, please! :)

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

3 is pretty fantastic, especially when you start building up to the final climax. There were a couple moments where I just couldn’t help but smile at how awesome things had become.

With Valkyria, my focus right now is on making VC2 a great success here in the west. Given the passion of our fans for that series, and the amazing quality of the games, I’m certain we have the potential to do it.

+ Neil on June 11th, 2010 at 11:29 am said:

I’m playing Yakuza 3 right now actually. I like that you guys included Yakuza 1 and 2’s story breakdown and assume you’ll have all 3 story wrap ups included in Yakuza 4 right? Also, please keep the original Japanese VO in the 4th game as well.

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

I’ll check about the story wrap-ups and see if those are planned. To confirm once more, we will be keeping the original, authentic Japanese voice-overs in Yakuza 4.

+ JetSetFuture on June 11th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Thanks for the news, Aaron, and also for all the great stuff you do for the SEGA community. Along with the announcement of Dreamcast games coming to PSN/XBLA, this has been a great week to be a SEGA fan!

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

It has been a good week to be a SEGA fan. In fact, I think it’s going to be a good month…

+ TheTwelve on June 11th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Bought.

+ BreadSkin on June 11th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

Hostess clubs AND the chance to earn another shiny new Yakuza series related platinum?

Count me in!

+ zerolaff on June 11th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Day one buy second year in a row.

PAGE 1 2 3