Horizon Zero Dawn

Jun 11

Yakuza 4 Coming Exclusively to PS3 in Spring 2011

Aaron Webber's Avatar Posted by Aaron Webber on Jun 11, 2010 // Associate Brand Manager, Sega of America

Alright Yakuza fans — time for some good news.

After some amazing passion seen across the board from fans regarding the release of Yakuza 3, SEGA is proud to announce that the fourth installment of the Yakuza series is heading West, and will be releasing exclusively on the PlayStation 3 in the spring of 2011!

Yakuza 4 for PS3

Yakuza 4 also builds on the style of the original Yakuza foundation by adding three new playable characters, each with a distinct personality and fighting style. They all have connections to the Tojo clan — but what those connections are, and what they mean with regard to a man named Kazuma Kiryu, is just one part of what will truly make things interesting.

We’d also like to confirm what we feel is important news for our fans: the Hostess Clubs will be returning in Yakuza 4!

Yakuza 4 for PS3

Finally, we’d like to let you guys field questions to the man whose name goes hand in hand with the Yakuza (or Ryu Ga Gotoku in Japan) series himself: Nagoshi-san! Write your questions in the comments below, and with a bit of luck, your question will be among others asked after next week’s E3!

Good luck, and we hope all you Yakuza fans out there just found your day got a little brighter. If you’ll excuse us, that plush cat in the UFO Catcher at Club SEGA has been making fun of us all morning, and it’s about time we showed him our perception skills.

+ TheRealAlpha2 on June 11th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Have there been any tweeks made to the fighting controls compared to Yakuza 3, I know you said there’ll be new characters with different fighting styles but I mean more like additional combat technicques, perhaps stealth gameplay?

Aaron Webber's Avatar

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

The fighting in Yakuza 4 is similar to the other games in the series, so generally once you enter a fight it’s just a matter of skill and wits to see who goes down first.

Stealth gameplay isn’t something you’ll really see (since you and your opponents are generally just a few feet away and looking each other in the eye), but the differences in the combat style of the four main characters make them feel really unique when you play them.

In this way, I think even old fans of the series will be able to enjoy the new experience of learning the strengths, weaknesses, and the always-awesome heat moves of all the characters.

+ megamixer on June 11th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

Is this one going to be butchered as well? What of the upcoming PSP Yakuza installment?

Aaron Webber's Avatar

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

The Hostess Clubs will be returning in the western version of Yakuza 4. We’ll also have more news about other game features in the near future.

No word right now on Japan’s recently-announced PSP installment, but time will tell!

+ DeathGazer on June 11th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

YES!!! Much sooner than I expected :D

Thank you SEGA! You’re doing the right thing!

+ TheTwelve on June 11th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

+ pj179 on June 11th, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

Great news for us Yakuza fans that Yakuza 4 is coming to the west. Any plans on bringing the PSP Yakuza title to the West as well?

+ Zezzler on June 11th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

Will this game feature some kind of Yakuza 3 save data import? that’s be coolio~

+ VANR_33 on June 11th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

Keep the box art as is, that’s my only concern now. It seems that everything else is answered. Thanks Webber! Hope to learn more about it at E3!

Again, thank you very much for this! I cannot wait! Bring Kenzan and Project K in the future too please!

+ jimmyfoxhound on June 11th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ mikedo2007 on June 11th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

I’m glad to hear the hostess club is coming back in Yakuza 4. Really, did you have to cut that part (along with some other cuts)in Yakuza 3? It’s not like the strip show or picking up hooker in the GTA series. But I’m glad to see Yakuza 4 to come to USA with everything intact. Are there any plans to maybe rerelease Yakuza 3 with all content back in as Yakuza 3: Director’s cut?

+ righello on June 11th, 2010 at 2:52 pm said:

Should not have mentioned Shenmue. Shenmue and Suzuki-sama are too powerful for Sega.

+ nerdmanwhippy on June 11th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

@79 It’s not us pushing opinions on taste, everybody has their preferred genres and everything likes something different, that is completely fine. When a consumer is going to ask me if a game is worth $60 I won’t just mindlessly say omg it’s the bestest buy it now we want monies!! I’ll let them know if it’s a little on the buggy side, I’ll let them know if the devs are being lazy and cutting content or just milking a franchise with over priced dlc that was already on the disc anyways. I can see the draws to the Yakuza series, don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing concept. Sega is not the team that should be doing it however, as they’ve proven over and over their incapable of doing games the right way. AKA cutting content, leaving in some things that still feel 10 years old, not striving to be the best they can. The Yakuza already has a small fan base, which their is nothing wrong with that, it’s just a shame to get Sega neglect the fanbase that is already so small.

+ nerdmanwhippy on June 11th, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

@81 the ability to change voices to English would actually require them to do extra work. Considering I remember them mentioning in interviews that keeping the original voice work was hard work for them and a cool feature, I can’t see them adding English.

Aaron Webber's Avatar

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

It generally comes down to trying to keep the game more authentic to where it takes place – Japan, and the many facets of Japanese culture.

I know some people would like to see the game with English voices as well, and at the same time there are many, many people who want only the game as it was in Japan – Japanese voice acting, Japanese hostess clubs, and Japanese mini-games.

There aren’t any plans to add English to Yakuza 4, but if it’s something you feel strongly about, you’re always welcome to let us know on our forums or in blog posts like this one!

+ JumpMan33 on June 11th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

Keep up the awesome work Aaron/Sega. :)

+ ForgiveMyAim on June 11th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

I love it when the PS3 gets fresh titles from Japan, you’ll never see this from Microsoft.

+ usagi704 on June 11th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

I heard about this news earlier this week and I’m very pleased and excited to hear that the fourth entry is coming west!

+ Darcanis on June 11th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

wow this news made my week also will some characters be included in this like the couple that was cut out in Y3 i seem to recal the quest A Trip Before Marriage

+ FearMonkey on June 11th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Any chance of a patch to add the Hostess Clubs back in to Yakuza 3?

+ favian on June 11th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

This is great news. Sega listened to their fans when fans reacted negatively towards the english dub of Yakuza 1, and Sega listened and left the original voice acting. Sega is clearly listening to fans.

I loved Yakuza 3, and would consider it the GOTY, even with the cuts. Any plans to add in the content that was cut out later? i wouldn’t mind paying for the DLC on psn.

Good to know the hostess clubs will be left in Y4, but i HOPE nothing else will be cut out, no matter how much you think it will alienate a western audience. The target audience for Yakuza knows they’re in for an experience that immerses them in Japanese culture. They’re not going to be put off by Shogi or Mahjong, etc.

I bought a copy of Yakuza 3 from bestbuy and they did not include the redemption code for the extra content. Sigh.

Aaron Webber's Avatar

+ Aaron Webber on June 11th, 2010 at 7:05 pm said:

Good news – we can hook you up with a free code for the extra content. Drop us a line at help.sega.com, and our Customer Support team will hook you up!

That offer extends to anyone reading this blog who picked up the game but didn’t happen to have the code included. :)

+ clupula668 on June 11th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

I bought Yakuza 3 first day and am proud I did, even if I was on the fence due to the cuts. Thank you for releasing this. It will be another first day purchase for me.

1) Would it be possible to fix the cuts in Yakuza 3 via DLC? Even if it was paid DLC, I’d get it. Even if not, I’ll still get Yakuza 4…but don’t you want a little extra cash from the Charlie?
2) Is the Valkyria Chronicles trophy patch ever coming or should I just give up hope on that?
3) Will Yakuza 1 & 2 ever be released as PSN downloads? And if so, will Yakuza 1 (hopefully) have Japanese audio? After being introduced to Kazuma in 3, it would feel VERY odd to play a game with him speaking in English.

+ OMGmyFACE on June 11th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

This is most exciting news. I’m so psyched for this!

+ Devenish on June 11th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

Having finished & enjoyed Yakuza 1,2,& 3; I will happily pre-order this to add to the series. I can only hope the most care with this game is considered when brought to North America.

+ Kozael on June 11th, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

Great news. Because of the cuts in Yakuza 3 (the single biggest omissions for me was mahjong… of course I missed most of the cut side-quests too), I waited few months and picked it up from a bargain bin. But if Y4 will be uncut, it’ll be day 1 purchase for me.

+ n4nobust3r on June 11th, 2010 at 6:17 pm said:

I have some hope and question

1.will you release fix or somekind of dlc for yakuza3 cut content?
2.what chance are kenzan released in the west?
3.will sega bring NEPTUNE to the West?

my hope for future sega release:
1.always Keep the japanese voice acting and themesong for all your localized japanese game(especially if it has anime style/art, or japanese culture and history)!,altough dualvoice is the best option japanese voice+ subtitle is a must, what you do with valkrya chronicle and resonance of fate is the right thing(the dualvoice option)
2.please don’t cut content

if yakuza 4 willcome intact than day 1 for me!

+ Kchow23 on June 11th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

will there still be text boxes? I would rather just have straight up dialogue and just see the English subtitles

+ chemerie on June 11th, 2010 at 7:21 pm said:

I was a big fan of thhe 1st Yakuuuza game on the PS2, but when Yakuza 2 & 3 came out i n Japaese, I was turned off by it. I really hate reading subtitles.

Will Yakuza 4 fearuure both English & Japanese Language options this time?

+ persuid on June 11th, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for bringing back the hostess clubs and the hostess girls in Yakuza 4!:)
I do hope that mahjong and shogi won’t be cut as well!

My question:if the hostess clubs are back,the hostess dressing-customization sidequest is in the game,isn’t it?

Thanks for the answer!

+ letherclad on June 11th, 2010 at 11:43 pm said:

I’m glad to hear that Yakuza 4 is getting localized, I love the series.

Am I the only one that liked that the hostess clubs were cut from Yakuza 3?

+ ronin-gai666 on June 12th, 2010 at 12:55 am said:

I have all the Yakuza games. (kenzan also)
It’s good to see that the series is becoming more popular. Finally. They need to keep it fresh now though so people don’t get bored with it.
Keep up the good work with the communication with the fans.
Oh and Kiryu needs a new suit already.

+ Psikorps on June 12th, 2010 at 1:48 am said:

Uncut = Day 1 Purchase for me.
If its missing quests or anything, basically if its chopped up like someones doing some yubitsume or seppuku or hara-kiri…and I’ll wait to get it from the bargin bin.

But great news on the exclusive.

+ Legendia667 on June 12th, 2010 at 2:18 am said:

I still don’t see why Sega doesn’t just make Shenmue III using the Yakuza engine. Most fans would be perfectly content with it.

+ Psikorps on June 12th, 2010 at 3:22 am said:

Or better yet, release a Shemnue 1 & 2 collection with trophy support like the God of War collection.

+ Legendia667 on June 12th, 2010 at 4:43 am said:

So you would rather play the two 10 year old games with absolutely no improvements on your PS3 instead of actually getting the story finished? You sir are no Shenmue fan.

+ clupula668 on June 12th, 2010 at 6:02 am said:

Had it ever occurred to you that there are some people who have never played either of them? Me, for example, despite having owned a Dreamcast, never got around to buying it.

I think with Sega releasing Dreamcast titles on the PSN, maybe Shenmue will be one of them (although personally, Skies of Arcadia is the one I am pulling for), and those of us who never played it can get the chance. So, then maybe we can be pulling with you for a part three. Right now, I’m indifferent about the series.

+ Legendia667 on June 12th, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

With all due respect, I (as have most other Shenmue fans) have been waiting for the conclusion to the series (after that BS Cliffhanger) since 2002. I’m not saying it would be a bad thing to rerelease them, I’m just saying that saying a non-updated rerelease of the first 2 games would be better than the 3rd chapter that Shenmue fans (including myself) have been DEMANDING for 8 years is just wrong. If you are that desperate to play the first two you can get them used for $12 & $8 respectively on Amazon…. truthfully that is probably cheaper than what Sony would charge on the PS Store.

+ Pure_Mind_Games on June 12th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

sorry to hear about no English dub, because the seem like good games, but with subs I’m always 3 lines behind, would it really kill you to put a dub in for those that need it

+ jipmg on June 12th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

wow that’s great.. I’m sure I’ll buy it eventually, the fact you guys brought one of the most popular games in japan to the west is nice, I just wish you guys would push it more to the mainstream world, since the game offers such great and unique things that american’s have yet to really experience.

+ Dmx66 on June 12th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

day 1 bay for me fo sho.

+ edujr1976 on June 12th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

Great news! You can count me in as another buyer… and i’m happy to know that hostess clubs are back for good.

+ Diresu on June 12th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Thank you so much SEGA! Yakuza series has become one of my all time favorites, up there with Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. I own all the games, and I even seen the movie that released in Japan! Yakuza 3 was my most anticipated game of last year, despite all the other big releases. I put 100 hours into my first playthrough and had to tear myself away from the game, otherwise i’d have not played anything else. I talked so much about the game I sold at least 10 copies to people around me. Anyway, just want to say Thank you sega for showing faith in the western fans
Thank you for creating such an amazing series

As long as you guys keep making Yakuza games with same level of quality I will gladly buy them day 1.

+ Lestatdelioncort on June 12th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

+ NIGalipted on June 13th, 2010 at 8:20 pm said:

i am a big fan of sega works such as madworld, shenmue, and of course yakuza. and i was worried 4 was not coming to na. but now im relieved now. just waiting for shenmue 3 to be announced. then i can die happy.

+ Neil on July 1st, 2010 at 8:20 pm said:

I just finished Yakuza 3 and it was a fantastic game with an unbelievably great cast and story. Wow at the ending. Easily my favorite game of the year. Thanks again for bringing the next game over.

+ WU-Tang4Ever on June 11th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

oh thank you sega! i loved yakuza 3! cannot wait!

+ Oblivian_92 on June 11th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

I LOVE YOU SEGA! I bought Yakuza 3 but haven’t played it yet because of the exams.
All you have to do now, is to give me Valkyria Chronicles 3, and I will cry from happiness.

+ PSmonkey on June 11th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Two things.

1. Please re-release Yakuza 1 with JPN Audio in the west. =)

2. I bought two copies of Y3, how many do I need to buy of Y4?
(I do have Y2 & Kenzan)

+ bh7812 on June 11th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

@16: I’d strongly recommend and suggest playing through Yakuza 1 and 2 before playing 3 even due to how tied together the storylines are. The main storyline’s been kinda continuous so it would be highly beneficial.

Aaron I can back up your statement about playing through all of 3 before starting Yakuza 4! A lot of the stuff that happens the second half of the game more or less sets up at least the beginning of Yakuza 4 so at least playing through 3 is essential.

I have a question for Mr. Nagoshi that should be a good question: The inspiration for the Yakuza series has been talked about before, but what encouraged and made you decide to actually pursue doing Yakuza 1, the kick-off of the series? Was there an exact moment or something that influenced that choice?

What are some of the inspirations for the main characters and their backgrounds? Are they based off people found in movies or books? After playing 3 I am curious on that.

Thanks for this news Aaron! I’m so glad Yakuza 3 did well enough here to get 4 and got the pair of legs it needed here to stand on! Will be preordered soon :)

+ Albator356 on June 11th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

Thanks SEGA. I’ll be supporting this game exactly like I did with the original Yakuza and Yakuza 3 (never had a chance to play 2)

I hope there are no cuts made to the final game. I thought Yakuza 3 was an amazing game. Please pass on my props to SEGA Japan and Nagoshi-san.

+ sam_i_jam on June 11th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Just finished the third one. Consider this bought. Love this series. Proper male soap opera to the max.

+ Tatsuha on June 11th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

I was so worried that Yakuza 4 wouldn’t make it to the west. I played the Japanese version a bit, and I liked the idea of new characters (How about new costumes, as well? Customizable, maybe?) This is great news. If the Yakuza series continues, I hope it continues to make its way to the West. And I’m glad Sega decided to keep the authentic gameplay without cutting anything out. Good job! ありがとうございます!

+ gukoff on June 11th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

This is excellent news – the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotuku series is one of gaming’s underdogs and true quality franchises of this generation and the last, and it’s going to be great to see the 4th chapter in English.

Two questions on many people’s minds:
1) Is there any chance of Yakuza 3 getting either a patch or DLC for the missing content?
2) Is there any chance of PS3 title “Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!” being localized?