Horizon Zero Dawn

Jun 14

ModNation Monday: UFG is Listening

William Ho's Avatar Posted by William Ho on Jun 14, 2010 // Game Designer, UFG

Hi, it’s William Ho here for the Pre-E3 ModNation Monday post. I’m excited to give you some updates about ModNation Racers and what’s been cookin’ at United Front Games.

I can’t believe it’s been a year since we announced ModNation on stage at E3, now it’s out in the world! It’s been exciting to see the massive amounts of Racing, Creating, and Sharing going on. Our dev team couldn’t be happier to see our supporters enjoying the product of two and a half years of love and labor. We enjoy playing ModNation Racers as much as you do.

Now while there a lot of people that love the game, we know there are some issues that are affecting the fun factor of ModNation, and we just want to say-

United Front Games is with you for the long haul.

I’m always asked, “what are you guys up to now?” The answer is always the same: job number one is actively monitoring and supporting the ModNation community.

We are working on multiple fronts to make your ModNation Racers experience even more fun. You’ve already seen some improvements in our online racing. Our friends at Sony San Diego Studio officially launched community.modnation.com so you can stay connected to the ModNation community from just about anywhere. And there’s much more to come.

With that said, I have something exciting stats to share with you. The ModNation community has exceeded the 500,000 creation mark! We worked hard to build the most accessible, freest, and deepest sandbox for you to play in. With a half million creations and counting, I think we achieved that goal. Here’s just a few of the half million awesome creations created by the ModNation community:

ModNation Racers - Glass-eye Phil

Mod: Glass-eye Phil, Creator: Reavyn1

ModNation Racers -Glass Eye Television Repair

Kart: Glass Eye Television Repair, Creator: Reavyn1

ModNation Racers - Modcoaster ModNation Racers - Modcoaster 2

Track: Modcoaster, Creator Name: hellstorm0157

Also, you’ve played more than 1,000,000 ONLINE RACES. That’s an amazing milestone for a community that’s only a few weeks young.

We can’t thank our fans enough for your support. We’ve appreciated your enthusiasm since we revealed ModNation Racers at E3 one year ago. We’re thrilled with all of the e-mails, forum postings, tweets, and fan sites, so keep ’em coming! We are dedicated to make the best possible Race, Create, Share experience possible and know we’re working hard on some rock-solid upgrades to ModNation Racers.

Look out for more information after E3, you’ll hear about it first on the PlayStation.Blog!

+ Doomer112290 on June 14th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

Well everything have pretty much been said.
Fix loading time.
Take away the region lock so we can play with more around the world.

+ colonel007 on June 14th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

Please fix the IA in career mode. You know they cheat, and it’s cheap, and annoying. They give you a great challenge, which is nice, but they cheat, and attack you right when you are about to get to the finish line.

Or at least, make the shield drain slower please.

Anyways, the games is awesome, but the IA in career mode, somehow ruins it.

+ Xoonaka on June 14th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

Since everyone is complaining already, I won’t bother trying to add some constructive criticisms… Instead, I’ll just give you a HUGE thanks!! I’m not a racing fan, in general, and I’ve been playing a ton of this game over the past couple weeks.

I really admire what you guys have created here, and I love the depth and thoughtfulness put behind the core mechanics of the game. I wish you guys nothing but the best!

Keep on Moddin’!

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 14th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Thanks, Xoonaka! We’re thrilled that you love ModNation Racers!

+ nfalk on June 14th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

I love this game! As a software dev, I think there could be a couple tweeks to the UI that sort of annoy me.

1. When initially starting the game you have to wait a long time for the title screen to load then hit a button then wait some more to load the game. What is the point of hitting the button? Couldn’t you just load right into the ModSpot w/o user input?

2. Also after a race, why not ask the player what they want to do (go to ModSpot/creator/new xp race/casual race)? If you choose a single xp race after it’s over you go to ModSpot automatically. If you wanted to play another xp race, you can basically eliminate returning to ModSpot (so you only have to wait for loading one time instead of two).

#1 is my biggest gripe. Most of the time I just start up a game and walk away until it is ready.

+ Kchow23 on June 14th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

Why can’t we remix DLC content? I mean LBP allows us to remix DLC content to create our own avatars using components from DLC..

+ Azfargh on June 14th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

United Front has just hit the JACKPOT with this game! Hope to see some super-ultra-mega DLCs packs and stuff!

But yesterday when I got the game, my enthusiasm has just chilled out with this gargantuan loading times… it really kills the mood. Hope to be fixed very soon.

Nonetheless, I LOVED the game and every spotlight artist videos from PSN (David Jeff and Jesse Hernandez r the best ones).

Keep up with the good work!

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 14th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

We were flattered that some of the urban vinyl artists whose work we admire also admire our work. Kart racing and urban vinyl go together like chocolate and peanut butter!

+ ZFair on June 14th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

Give every one a damn chance to be in the Top Mods and Karts, Make it to were friends can do XP Races with us, i got lucky one day and got to race a friend in an XP Race, but i should be able to Inv them to XP Race or Series, hell look at blur you can race Ranked matches with up to 8 of your friends and do Private Races and still get XP and Achievements. So add this and i will keep the game other wise i am trading it in for Split Second or blur for the PS3..yeah i have blur on the 360.

+ mywhitenoise on June 14th, 2010 at 8:45 am said:

The only thing I’d suggest changing (besides load times), is making it easier to gain CREATE XP. That trophy is damn near impossible unless you’re super popular and have dozens of characters, karts, and race tracks.

+ FerrariThugs on June 14th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

1) Fix the loading times
2) Fix the 250,000 create exp trophy
3) Make the career mode easier to unlock more stuff so we can create (or atleast have difficulty options on it)

and you’ll have yourself a perfect game!

+ Soninofa on June 14th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

I am little disappointed with the PSP version. In create mode, the tracks are always too small. Also, that annoying white path way that shows you where you will go next always gets in the way. I think that there should be more room for making tracks on the psp.

+ darth_sappy23 on June 14th, 2010 at 8:58 am said:

I also agree with F-minus (post 11) that there needs to be a podium of random peoples creations. beucase looking at the top mods/karts and even the top downloaded tracks is getting ridiculous.
Other than what other people have already posted this is an excellent game that me and my g/f love to play, keep up the great work.
oh yes, id like to see some more track creation themes, not just mods w/ there karts, i mean those are nice but tracks would be better. =D

+ LightAce on June 14th, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

Great game, please bring out more weapon goodness :)

+ Israel1948 on June 14th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Change the trophy where we have to get 250,000 create points. It’s almost impossible. Only a few people in the world can get this trophy. The only people who can get them are the ones who made those popular mods when the game first came out.

+ saintaqua on June 14th, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

My only complaints are:
The load times can be annoyingly long sometimes.
The opening intros should be skip-able. We already know who made the game,

I hate when developers force us to watch these every time we start a game up.

I hate having to re watch events after I finish every race, especially since they also take time to load. Even if they are skip-able, the load wait is a hamper.

Other than that, I love this game. It is way better than M*rio Kart. :)

+ Perish_Song on June 14th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

I’m surprised nobody made mention to the fact that we have circular towers as the top track, and it’s been there from the start. A good Idea is to have the options of choosing your 5 tracks in the top track series, i.e.: most dlownloaded , highest rating , most raced, and most importantly random tracks.

Seems like it’s a chore to get your tracks raced, voted, downloaded.

+ tedjp on June 14th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

I know everyone has complained about loading times, but I think a big part of the problem is the *perception*. I bet if you change the loading indicator to be a bar across the bottom of the screen it will feel faster because people will visualize the progress instead of seeing a counter which is a little more abstract than a progress bar. Even showing a kind of “pie slice” indication on the circle would be an improvement.

Anyway, I love the game. Can’t wait to play some more, and would love to see a bit more variety in the top mods/maps – hopefully it is possible to tweak them so it shows (for example) the highest rated new creations of the last week. Maybe MediaMolecule have some ideas on that.

+ nerdmanwhippy on June 14th, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

Other then 3d dot game heroes, this was my most anticipated game in may out of the 6 I bought. This is also the one that has been in my ps3 the least amount of time and I’m sad about that. Not because I don’t enjoy it, I find it a riot. The mechanics are super fun, the creation is amazing, the difficulty is fun, the little coins to collect in races are awesome. I really do love everything however the loading times kill it for me. Even before it came out I heard reviews bash it for the load times, and I really thought it wouldn’t matter to me, but there’s just far too much down time in this game.

It’s like an unorganized pug raid where you find somebody for some reason has gone afk for a few minutes between every single trash pull and you have to wait for them to get back. Then you finally get to the boss only to have to explain it multiple times because somebody doesn’t know it, and after the wipe someone leaves angrily and you replace them with another player who doesn’t know the fight. Just too much waiting involved, just like this game.

+ tda-danny on June 14th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

Great Game!! So many creations that is never gets old!

Few game updates would be nice though:

1. Play through the SP Campaign with 2 people (even if the second person is not part of the story, just let us unlock the game with 2 people).

2. Allow us to select a bunch of different tracks and make a circuit for MP split-screen, where is will keep track of how people finished (1st – 4st) on the different tracks, and give the results at the end of the circuit (I honestly cannot believe a kart racer shipped without this option).

+ RobynnDarcy on June 14th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

Any word as to when and how the Hot Lap cheating is going to be stopped???

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 14th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

We’re trying out a fix now. We want to make sure anything we patch doesn’t need another patch in the future.

+ HMS_Victor on June 14th, 2010 at 9:59 am said:

Change the 250,000 create trophy. Unless you were one of the first people to get the game and create some copyrighted character like Mario or someone, you don’t really have a chance of getting it.

Also, if you can, reduce the load times. Or at least give us something to do during them like a really simple game like space invaders, pong, or something similar

+ GabrielBishop on June 14th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

We need more people voting on levels please include a vote option in the quick race section. It is very annoying having to go out to vote and can’t see why it was overlooked, unless I’m blind and it is there.
Other then that love the game and can’t wait to see some new themes. I think a toyroom theme would be awesome with building blocks to make things with.

+ lostinc on June 14th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

so when are we going to see all the mods, karts, and track that we all seen in the Artist Spotlight vids? and also when are we going to see all the pre-order DLC in the PS store?

+ Cell1050 on June 14th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

I know it sounds kind of whiny, but there should be a way to tone the difficulty of the Career mode down. A lot of other kart racing games I’ve played had this, and I think even my personal favorite before ModNation Racers, Crash Team Racing, had it. I finished the game quite easily on the PSP. The PSP version also has a few flaws, such as not being able to move parts around your Mod or using stickers at all on the Mods. Sure you can use stickers on the karts, but you can only use them in prechosen positions. Lastly, you should be able to cross over in the track studio. I know it’s being picky, but if all of these problems are fixed I will enjoy ModNation much, much more.

+ Bender85 on June 14th, 2010 at 9:01 pm said:

so i have not noticed whether this has been previously stated, so if it has I apologize. first off I love the game! absolutely great and hats off to all of you at UFG! my question though is this I’ve been converted from mariokart to mod nation (i know i know, lets all hate me for mentioning it) one feature of big interest to me and friends is battle mode though. I’m curious can we look forward to seeing anything like that in mod nation?

+ Permafry_42 on June 15th, 2010 at 1:05 am said:

as i said in the forums, “Will ps3 be getting some track editor DLC soon?(if so, PLEASE have some alternative tunnels like a glass tunnel or a tunnel that can be underwater (so i can FINALLY make the under water level I’ve had in my head ever since the i first saw modnation at e3 last year)). However, before you work on any major dlc, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE THAT UPDATE ASAP!! okay? okay. i promise to buy the MNR soundtrack, but ONLY AFTER you fix the large amount of problems with the game still hanging around from the beta. 1 more thing; i still miss that epic flaming doughnut glitch that you could make in the modspot if you kept drifting around the center for a bit. also you should have a score board of the longest continual drift in the modspot, that would be awesome since i (and from what i’ve seen a large minority of fellow MNR players) spend nearly as much time racing as we do drifting in the modspot with our fellow players just for the heck of it. remember, first update, then possible dlc thanks =D “

+ Perish_Song on June 15th, 2010 at 2:50 am said:

+ tobiasampersand on June 15th, 2010 at 5:17 am said:

Awesome work chaps. Really enjoying it so far.

Might be echoing some other comments, but two things that would be awesome (well, one things and some wishful thinking).

1) It would be awesome to be able to do split screen with other PSN accounts on my PS3. My lady loves creating her mod, but it’s a bit sad her mods and my mods can’t race together in split-screen.

2) I was lucky enough to get all three pre-order bonus mods through my retailer (in Australia), but we weren’t offered the Sack Boy mod over here. Any chance it’ll be available later? (I know, now I’m just being greedy :) )

Can’t wait to see what’s to come! Keep up the great work.

+ cj4167 on June 15th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

I just bought and absolutley love this game, but unfortunatley cant connect online at the mod spot. I really hope someone can help me out here, i can see top mods and karts/ download and share yet i cant play a single online race. All other games online work and i really want to enjoy online racing with my friends. hope someone can help and again i love this game. :)

+ snooker8th on June 15th, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

PLEASE fix the online issues with region differences, disconnections and those load times!!

+ Lazy_Slacker on June 15th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

I really love ModNation Racers, finally a good creative race game out there that lets you basically do EVERYTHING!

Also, I wanted to make a suggestion for a small feature:
Let us choose our opponents Mods and Karts in Offline Quickraces, it would be so cool to race against YOUR mods you have created and downloaded.

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 15th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

Thank you, Lazy_Slacker! That’s a cool idea!

+ Scabdidly on June 15th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

A suggestion I’d like to make is, if trophies can be changed, consider changing the Flaming Hot trophy from 10% to 20-30%. The problem, as I see it, is that even if no one was cheating to get impossible times, if everyone plays Hot Lap everyday then theoretically only about 10% of players will be able to obtain the trophy.

I’m actually not bothered by needing to accrue 250,000 Create XP to earn a trophy because it’s not really as difficult to earn Create XP as most seem to think. I guess many have not discovered that you earn Create XP every time your published Mods and Karts are used— even if you’re the one using them. Obviously, you don’t get much and it’d be preferable to have a top-downloaded creation but it builds up faster than you realise when you’re distracted by fun races.

+ Sharkonnen on June 15th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

People keep wanting the same things fixed, so i guess ill name a few that didn’t get mentioned and are important for me.

-Button Configuration
I had high hopes that it was the demo that didn’t have the extra option the official game had, the way the buttons are used makes my hands cramp up >.<

-Create Grid
Sometimes i want the lane to be as straight as possible and its hard to to it by hand, and with turns it'd be nice to make 90 degree turns easier. I'd love to start making simple but fun tracks a little easier.

-Modspot Camera "Unlock"
I dont like that it locks on to the cart, I'd like it more it it was free to move around where we wanted.

-Gary as the Tutorial voice
Don't get me wrong, i like Gary, I just don't want him as my teacher, hes the one that you fall asleep in class to. I can't get through the tutorials cause i just can't stand his voice that long. It's like choosing Ben Stein for your tutorials!

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 15th, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

Thanks, Sharkonnen.

About the ModSpot Camera “Unlock”: You can do this in the Photo Mode in ModSpot. Press the START button to bring up the menu, then select Extras and then Photo Mode. You can drive around and adjust the camera at the same time. You can even trigger various character gestures using the direction pad buttons! Then tap the L1 button take shots of your Mod hangin’ out in the ModSpot!

+ Scabdidly on June 15th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Sorry for posting again so soon but, if you’re still reading these, William, there are also glitches that occur regularly in XP Series that someone should probably look into.

The series will often begin on the last track of the series (it even says 5/5) and the series will then start over at track 1/5 following this initial race. I have even seen a series start over after two races have been completed and once the track information during loading was completely off, displaying both the wrong track sequence and name/photo for the track that was loading. The weirdest thing is that it seems sometimes these tracks that are loaded prior to the actual series affect series standing and sometimes they don’t. Thanks in advance for your attention and hard work. This community loves you, so please love us back, UFG.

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 15th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Thanks, Scabdidly. This is a known issue that we’re working on fixing.

+ GT911here on June 15th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Hi there, I have a few suggestions to improve some stuffs and game experience in MNR.

so far, the game’s great and awesome. Nothing major happened during my marathon of races.

However, I feel that there is got to be a way to improve the starting grid experience.

My suggestions to improve starting grid experience:
– Drawing lots to determine who’s on pole position and the starting grid
– Maybe a one lap qualifying session before the race (may cause long loading times)

Another possibility is, could there be any possible weather effects in the game in the future? Like rain for wet surfaces or strong wind (that’s exaggerating) that can blow cars aside, etc.

Another thing is, great job guys! I (or we) do hope to hear more great news from UFG! :)

+ piwakawaka on June 15th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Is there an official forum where we can report bugs? I’ve got a nice collection to report…

+ KillerStefan15 on June 15th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

All I see is news about the PS3 version, what about those who play on PSP like me?

There are several issues with the game like drifting and selecting your mod and kart each race isn’t really pleasant.
I also want to stay in the room I just won my race in but you always get back in the lobby.
Other problem is when you boost the whole screen gets kinda blurry making it harder to see where you are actually going.
It would be also nice to see that the PSP would get the same options as the PS3 version like ModSpot for example with a small menu of macros like Good Race, Let’s Go and things like that so you have a little interaction on the PSP as well.
Loading times are way too long which could be fixed by installing the game on the memory stick like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite does.
Downloading ghosts and rankings for single tracks would be awesome too.

If the above things can be fixed and added, this game is gonna be more awesome then it already is.

Thanks for reading my post and I hope you (UFG) takes this into consideration.

Our playerbase on PSP might not be as big as on the PS3 but please, do not forget us.

Kind regards,

PS: This game shows how community content is done, great job!

+ Kirkpad on June 15th, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

“We are amazed by your published creations every day. We’re enjoying online races with you. We read your forum postings and your tweets. We discuss all of your suggestions, no matter how big or small. We watch. We play. We listen.”

Media Molecule said this, then went on to make LBP 2 without fixing their game (in the share section). Not to mention the copious amounts of useless DLC.

+ piwakawaka on June 15th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

@William Ho: Ok, cool, you’re still reading this thread and answering some questions – so, please, what’s the official channel for reporting game issues?

Would it be OK if I email the execs at UFG directly?

+ C_Smith on June 15th, 2010 at 7:11 pm said:

ok I have loads of levels that when we play them
it kicks everyone in the room will this be fixed?

+ SuperLuigiBros63 on June 15th, 2010 at 11:28 pm said:

I seem to have this really weird problem with publishing creations into the creation browser. I have uploaded about 8 mods about 1 day ago and they never got out of their PENDING state. They’ve been this way ever since. I cannot unpublish or remove them at all. They each also use up one creation slot in the “Currently Published” screen. I cannot look up their creation detail in “Manage Creations”, but I can see the info if I search up the creations. For some reason it will have creation info of a random, already-published mod. I have lost 8 creation slots for nothing.

+ Wardrummer18 on June 16th, 2010 at 12:34 am said:

I love modnation it is easily the best racing game ever. But there is one major issue that i am not the only one experiencing. 250,000 create exp is nearly impossible to achieve. I get a lot of downloads and i am not even a quarter of the way. Please make an update to help with this. Perhaps getting create exp for rating, downloading, or posting nice comments. Or a really good alternative which you could do, is sell create exp at large quantity on the psn. Please do something i only need this trophy to get platinum, then i can just play for fun and that’s it. LOVE THE GAME AND THIS IS THE ONE ISSUE.

+ Perish_Song on June 16th, 2010 at 2:06 am said:

@ Scabdidly: You had a problem with getting extra races, and xp in a series, no questions asked. You must have a lot of XP to ask that they remove this bug.

+ moriarty1975 on June 16th, 2010 at 3:42 am said:

I posted links for bug reports & feedback but the blog police aint letting them show….again!

+ HarigeVINCE on June 16th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

Can you patch:
– the controls so you can shoose what button does what?
– the camera so you can shoose how far it is from your car?

And I read that you can’t play with your mods from the demo in the full version, is this true??
In that case, I’m very disappointed, the demo said I could race whith them in the full version.. :(

(yes, I’ve only played the demo, but I want awnsers first before I buy it, I also mailed UFC yesterday and send a message to a certain Russel on the modnation cammunity on playstation network, but I haven’t got an awnser yet)

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 16th, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

Hi, HarigeVINCE.

You should be able to use your Mods, Karts, and Tracks from the ModNation Racers Demo in the full game. What we’ve had trouble with is importing creations from the public beta version from several months ago.

Also, we have a slider that lets you tweak the camera distance from your car, and you can adjust this distance per player in splitscreen.

I hope you’ll pick up and enjoy ModNation Racers soon!

+ Lazy_Slacker on June 16th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

I hope we get a patch soon with new features.
Like my idea as well. ^^

+ BPatches701 on June 16th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

@144 you can already change the camera distance under start>extras>options

+ HarigeVINCE on June 16th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Oh thanks! :)

And do you know something of the use of demo creations in the full game and customization of the controls too? :)

+ moriarty1975 on June 16th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Demo creations can be used in the full version.

The controls cant be customized…yet.

+ macappin on June 16th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

Loving the game so far and the sp is brilliant most of the things. I think most points have all been raised before but for me inviting friends and letting them join on a split screen is a must. I regularly host nights with friends who want to play split screen and can`t to find randoms joining the game can.

Also on random people joining, when I set up a private event and invite my friends none of them could join, then I gave up and tried to host a normal casual, I could only get one in then randoms would kick me as the host, I`d quit and it would tell me none of my friends were playing. So ended up took us over 30mins to get started. So please look at the private matches.

Really glad to hear your looking at some of the issues people are having and trying to make the ModNation experience even better! You`ve made an awsome game!

+ GoonieG on June 16th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

well my first comment got screwed over because it said it was too long, so now i must retype it.

2 things I would love to see

-UFG contests where the people at UFG choose the top listers. the old champs could have their own smaller shrine to their achievement, and then wipe this out yearly. There could be weekly winners and an overall monthly winner. The winner would or could win 1,000 CREATE XP and a free coupon to a DLC item.

-The other thing is a fix. I have problems hitching on peices of landscape or things like bridges and or inactive traps (on hot lap) and the like. It doesn’t happen very often but every time it does I come to a complete stop.

Just curious before I go, how many of you up there love Mario Kart? And how much inspiration would you say came from it?

Thanks Will

William Ho's Avatar

+ William Ho on June 16th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

ModNation Racers was made by a team full of people who have played and made many different racing games (and action games and sports games and online games) over the years. When we started on UFG’s first game over two and a half years ago, we had the luxury of a clean sheet to make a new original game with a new team on a new game engine. There was no looking back, only looking forward to making something fresh.

So the game that’s in your hands now really is the result of our collective experience and not just being inspired by this game or that game from the past.