Uncharted 4

Surprise! Twisted Metal Coming to PS3

David Jaffe's Avatar + Posted by David Jaffe on Jun 15, 2010 // Video Game Designer/Director

Man I love surprises!

And I ESPECIALLY love E3 surprises!

Thing is, in this day and age, it’s super rare for a game to surprise anyone at E3 anymore. There are just too many leaks. And the Internet makes sure those leaks travel fast and furious. From the moment the info first gets out to the time when the hardcore gamers know about it, you’re talking 12, maybe 18 hours tops. Many publishers have simply given up trying to surprise gamers at E3 because they know it’s just not possible anymore. But back in the day – when E3 first began – you’d walk onto the show floor and have no idea what new games and new ideas you’d find as you traveled from booth to booth. That sense of wonder, of discovery, of sheer surprise…it was total gamer joy. But these days that sense of surprise and discovery has all but vanished from the E3 experience.

Which is why when Sony asked if we wanted to close out their E3 press conference by announcing the new Twisted Metal AND asked if we wanted to try to keep it a surprise…well, we were thrilled! An attempt at a good, old fashioned E3 surprise? Hells yes, baby! Sign us up!

Not sure if you missed the press conference but if you did, you can check out the surprise announce right here:

We know this is going to be the best Twisted Metal ever released. 16 players online, 2-4 player split screen, amazing new game modes, helicopters, motorcycles, sports cars, all battling it out in highly interactive levels with all the skill, speed, and strategy you could ask for! It’s been a long while since the last console Twisted Metal was released, but we think the wait will have been worth it. We’re crazy proud of the new game and are looking forward to entertaining all of the loyal TM fans as well as earning many new Twisted Metal devotees with this title.

But the game is not done yet. We’ve got a ways to go so we could really use your help. The game is playable on the show floor starting now. So if you’re able to get into E3 this year, please come to the Sony booth and give Twisted Metal a play. And then please hit us back on our brand new Eat Sleep Play forums with your likes, dislikes, issues, changes, fixes, etc. Whatever feedback we can get, we are grateful for. Early user feedback is one of the key things that turns a game into a classic. And we want this baby to be classic!

Ok, so that’s that. Twisted Metal is coming on Playstation 3! And we could not be more pleased! Now we’re off, into the bowels of the Los Angeles Convention Center to see the sites, play the games, and hey, who knows, perhaps discover a few surprises along the way! Stranger things have
happened!

Great to be back ya’ll! We missed you!

David Jaffe & Scott Campbell
Co-Founders Eat Sleep Play, Inc.

118 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ scorpio182 on June 16th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

RIGHT ON!!!!

+ VANR_33 on June 16th, 2010 at 9:29 pm said:

I [DELETED] my pants when I heard the ice-cream truck tone!

+ Keywe666 on June 17th, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

day one :D split screen ftw :D

+ HiTmAn0769 on June 18th, 2010 at 6:50 am said:

This is one of my favorite video games of all time. I have been enjoying it for many many years now and I hope we also get a new PSP TM again too. I will be getting this day one and love the look so far. I am glad the level design is throwback to old school TM’s like TM2!!! Thank you Eat, Sleep, Play.

+ zombie_56 on June 18th, 2010 at 9:53 am said:

@ 102 you deleted your pants lol

+ ZAANOS on June 18th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

The internet is on fire about this announcement! Love how Sweet Tooth kidnapping is kind of like the Calling All Cars except you brutally let their rag doll be dragged by a chain. You saw the reaction for such a classic game making a come back. I would love to see these two franchises making a current gen come back:

Jet Moto
Colony Wars
Wild Arms

+ Thrill_Kill on June 19th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Well, I’m happy the game is finally hitting the PS3, because I do love the Twisted Metal games. But, quite honestly, since David just ignores his fans on his youtube channel and blog, I have a more difficult time giving a crap about his games anymore. I was once a hardcore fan of Jaffe, but, not really anymore.

+ dmdmorris0 on June 19th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

jaffe is like wolverine he is the absolute best at what he does.once i get this the old ps1 classic iof twisted metal will only be a memory . i knew you were working on this as soon as a fan asked about it and you replied b**** 8-9 months but what about god of war ghost of sparta are you part of that also?

+ t-jones5 on June 19th, 2010 at 10:45 pm said:

i got 2 things to say first-person zombies

+ EspadaKiller on June 20th, 2010 at 11:07 pm said:

Love the surprise at the end of the Sony’s Press Conference! Totally rocked the whole show and what a epic surprise as well!

Good job David, for denying everything about developing Twisted Metal before this announcement! ^^

+ scuba_steve3000 on June 21st, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

why does the plug in not run on the ps3? i cant watch the playstion video on my playstation. lame. but other than that tw was one of my favorites when i was little. i couldnt be more stoked

+ deathsgoat on June 21st, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

been waiting to long for this one. just please don’t destroy the story line. (and if you could bring back thumper from TM2 i would love you forever more.)

+ dabluesman on June 26th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.

+ saja22 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Are you going to have characters from twisted metal black like,No-face,Minion and yellow jacket?

+ carfaxkyle09 on June 30th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

i think playstation should release a twisted metal bundle pack with all the twisted metal games all playable on the ps3 that would be the [DELETED]. or at least have all the twisted metal games on there

+ Kixx_MKIII on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

I started with TM1, I destroyed cousins on TM2, Merked my friends on TM3, Crushed TM4, Had a blast on TM Small Brawl, straight *****d on TM:Black, soloed TM:Head On and now………damnit ty Jaffe, but I do have one thing to say to you…..

YOU LIED!!!!!!!!!! YOU SAID YOU WONT COMING! damn you and your great ass surprises o my god.

I’ve never fan-boyed about anything, but I still have every twisted metal game thats come out, and I have loved this game since the beginning, so please do not disappoint for the PS3! which, from seeing black on PS2 I have a great feeling you wont.

+ Kixx_MKIII on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

@ Carfaxkely09 :

I would agree with all the games being able to be purchased, my TM:Small Brawl sometimes freezes up (bought it off a guy when it came out go figure) but yea a bundle or something would be amazing.

+ UrBIoodOnMyBlade on July 13th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

yaaay cant wait for the new Twisted Metal loved the old ones when I was young :)

PAGE 1 2 3