PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

LittleBigPlanet 2 Community Game Jam Gets the Creative Juices Flowing!

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on Jun 18, 2010 // SCEA PR Manager

As we close the books on E3 2010, I’d like to spotlight one of the games we showcased in Los Angeles this week. LittleBigPlanet 2 will be on its way to PLAYers, CREATErs, and SHARErs later this year, so we thought we’d help get this creative juices flowing within our great community. To do this, on June 4th, we invited a selection of talented creators from around the world to come down to the new Media Molecule studio in Guildford (UK) to check out LittleBigPlanet 2 and put the new creation tools to the test.

We gave the 15 attendees 24 hours to go nuts with the new game, allowing them to build anything they could think of. Here’s a look at a video from the event to show you what I’m talking about. And for a complete rundown of the Game Jam, check out LBPCentral.com for impressions written by the creators themselves.

+ death187666 on June 18th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

awesome!!!

+ Ggrab on June 18th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

first ! ?

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:09 pm said:

1. FAIL!
    2. Seriously…

+ Blkant on June 18th, 2010 at 11:05 am said:

I was very skeptical on a sequel to LBP 2, but what I saw truly was far beyond what I would have ever expected. However, the support on LBP1 was lacking, how will that change, if at all, with LBP 2?

For instance the lag was always a major issue.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:13 pm said:

Disagree that the support was lacking with all the updates, dlc and game upgrades like the paintinator, water and online create mode – but you’ll be glad to know that the online experience has evolved as well as the new tools and gadgets.

+ joostin on June 18th, 2010 at 11:05 am said:

This game looks AMAZING!!!

Day 1 buy, pre-order, whatever I have to do to get this!

Genius.

+ LittleBigPodcast on June 18th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

Jealous of their talent! They are truly amazing people!

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

Agree. Watching them Create games in front of my eyes was a treat.

+ Stinkinmushroom on June 18th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

I saw that helicopter level in another video… the possibilites looked endless. MM says you can’t make an FPS but i’m sure some freaks will find a way

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:23 pm said:

Lol…I’m sure someone out there will do it too. Did you see the 3d shooter game they showed at the E3 press conference + on-site interviews? Mind blowing!

+ Stinkinmushroom on June 18th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

What i don’t get s how you make that puzzle game like we saw in the first trailer

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:40 pm said:

Stay tuned. We’ll be breaking down the new create tools bit by bit in upcoming posts.

+ emiru69 on June 18th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

I really like this kind of videos with the creators or fans. Good luck!

+ DarthDanMan on June 18th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

Mabye they’ll make LBP 2 PSP?

+ Rinaldus91 on June 18th, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

No Geosautus? Bummer, I would’ve loved to see his input on the new creation tools.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:47 pm said:

Unfortunately we couldn’t invite everyone and some people had scheduling conflicts and couldnt make it, but we have a few more events like this planned, so you still might see your favorite CREATEors represented in the future.

+ Jeigh on June 18th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

I’d have to agree that lag on the first one was pretty much unbearable. That and I never actually saw those counters in my profile move off of zero.

All the same, bless Media Molecule for creating this, well, series now, I suppose, since it has really sparked a fire under the customization/creation/socialization aspects of gaming- hell, even a PSN game is doing it. You guys have started your own trend. That’s something to be proud of.

+ WastelandDan on June 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

Looking at what the new tools allow creators to do leaves me in awe. Seeing what they acomplished in such a short amount of time its amazing to say the least.

LBP2 seems to realize every expectation I ever had for the first title, all I can say is congraulations on another job well done!

PS: One request, In the VERY likely event that LBPsp2 comes out in abit please for the love of all things Sack add ATLEAST an ad-hoc mode. If not Infrastructure mode aswell. That took SO much away from the PSP version for me and my friends. Other than that LBPsp was fantastic too!

+ VixDiesel on June 18th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

Please do not put any sort of online creator trophies in this that will create the ****storm that was H4H.

+ DJ_DTM on June 18th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

Play and heart all my levels!!

+ Gothdom on June 18th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Will this work with Move? Will it be bundled with it, but without the camera for those who already have the PSEye?

+ Reinheart on June 18th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

Definitely coming back to LBP2…. I should start LBP1 again… while my wife’s sleeping… or something….

+ mattman111 on June 18th, 2010 at 12:53 pm said:

You guys are killing me D:! Please hurry up. I’m dieing to play this! please let me in beta D:

+ darthlego on June 18th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Why not release a video of all the levels they made?

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on June 18th, 2010 at 10:50 pm said:

We have one in the works…stay tuned.

+ Mobius_124 on June 18th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

this game is awesome

+ AaronG1888 on June 18th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

ugh! I Want to play this so bad!
Definitely getting it!
Just wish a demo- or if i was lucky to get in one- Beta was released soon

+ CartBlanche on June 18th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

Am I right in saying that only 9 levels were shown there. Where are the other 6 games they created?

Can we also have a longer look at each level.

Lastly, Awesome stuff! I’m looking forward to it.

+ CondorMcG on June 18th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

@13 and @14

wow…

+ FULLGORR on June 18th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

Lol, why’d they have to go and do that interview after being awake all night. I couldn’t even answer the first question; “Where do you live”, “Uhhh… Tor-onto Canada??”

Lol, fml

+ sdmf4ever on June 18th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

THIS…..GAME……WILL…..BE…….AWESOME…..PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Kirkpad on June 18th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

My brother and I bought our own copies of LBP at launch, and we won’t be getting this until there is actual proof that there will be support.

Adding one creator pack and leaving the stale “news” page doesn’t count as support. Neither does online create which was advertised before it came out.

+ deafwing on June 18th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

can’t wait for this :D

+ FULLGORR on June 18th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

@25 Trust me, every issue has been fixed. The old news section was stupidly conceived and very hard and time consuming to update, they’ve rebuilt everything to be super streamlined within the game and out, using littlebigplanet.me, the new social website for LittleBigPlanet.

And if you’re talking about a lack of overall support, I don’t know what you’re talking about. LBP is the most developer supported title there is… next to Team Fortress, haha. The game is frequently updated, with new features, and packs. And anyways, its not like theres 2.5 million levels or anything…

+ Kirkpad on June 18th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

We shouldn’t have a community within a website, it should be within the game. I can tell that they are fixing a lot of things, but what I found odd was how they took the time to remove the Play Create Share counter but not the news page. It seems like it will be easier to highlight users on a website than in the game.

Furthermore, my brother found a glitch in LBP1 that allows him to have an unlimited thermometer. Does LBP2 have that? I don’t mean to be pessimistic, but this is the game that Mm themselves said was unnecessary before being acquired by Sony.

+ ski_bumm on June 18th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

Toronto represent! Hope the level turned out alright. :P

+ AmbrosiAlea on June 18th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

Am I the only one who is kind of annoyed that there were no girls in that video?

I am obsessed with LBP1, pulling alnighters when I have to work the next day just because I dont want to stop building a level… but I can not wait for the new one. It looks like there is going to be many more interesting tools

+ Syroc on June 19th, 2010 at 3:11 am said:

“I don’t mean to be pessimistic, but this is the game that Mm themselves said was unnecessary before being acquired by Sony.”

They never actually said that. :)

Besides the game is awesome and when you see all the changes you will know that it definitely is a worthy sequel. :)

+ ssaannttii on June 19th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

Poms is the best creator so far. Love his work!

+ B-Ri on June 19th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

Hope you guys havent forgotten about me, the filmmaker! Hoping to make a sequel to LittleBADRomance using some new tools!

+ GrayGhost45 on June 19th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

Mark’s response @2 is awesome. Trying to be the first poster is just taking nerd-dom a step too far. Would love to see a more in-depth look at these levels.

+ derth44 on June 19th, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

one of the problems i always had with the first is my creation were either never good or the good ones would not get played. hopefully i will finally be able to make something that is good and played as well.

+ guitain on June 19th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

Ooooh, a panda!

+ D8RTH on June 19th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

what new toolls with there be?

+ Syroc on June 19th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

@D8RTH

Here is a list:

/shameless plug

+ snake14492 on June 19th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

how many story levels are going to be in the game????

+ FULLGORR on June 19th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

Oooh Syroc, so silly

+ Torkass on June 19th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

@39 > Over 50 lvls if I remember well.

+ lo_the_best on June 20th, 2010 at 8:09 am said:

i’m new to playstation 3 internet in need for some friends please add me

+ KGH on June 20th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

I really want to know how to make na RTS

+ Hwashere on June 20th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

This game is going to be amazing! I hope it comes out for the PSP too.

+ timmy141995 on June 21st, 2010 at 12:30 am said:

looks cool.but i’d like to see what tools are used to change it from the side scrolling camera angle to all of the other ones.

+ julian696 on July 6th, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

If u buy an add on in lbp1 will it be expressible in lbp2

for example the metal gear solid level pack