PS4-Infamous

Dead Rising 2 E3 Interview

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 24, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

While Sid and I conducted a video interview on Marvel vs Capcom 3 (post coming soon!), SCEE’s James Gallagher traveled across the cavernous Capcom booth to the Dead Rising 2 area. The game has progressed significantly on PS3 since we saw it a couple months back, so he held a chat with Producer Mike Schmitt. And because James is English, he didn’t even realize that the man hit over 500 home runs! Facepalm!

Fortunately, the fact that he wasn’t starstruck allowed him to focus on the game itself. Have at it, James:

Dead Rising 2

Dead Rising 2 is a zombie game with its tongue hanging out of its cheek. You control Chuck Greene, a motorcross champion trapped in a zombie apocalypse in the fictional Fortune City, which is loosely based on Las Vegas. After tearing through a few hundred zombies with a pair of chainsaws attached to a canoe paddle, I lurched over to Capcom’s Mike Schmitt and asked a few questions.

What kind of story is there in Dead Rising 2?

“Chuck is competing in a gameshow called Terror is Reality in order to earn some money and cure his daughter, who has been bitten by a zombie. That’s his main motivation but there’s also a conspiracy against him, with people blaming him for the zombie outbreak at the beginning of the game.”

Given that the story allows for multiple paths and endings, how many unique playthroughs are possible?

“I don’t know the final count but there are multiple endings and we definitely want people to go back and keep playing, because levelling Chuck up opens up new areas and things to do.”

I’ve had some fun here combining weapons; how many combinations are there?

“Again, we haven’t given out an exact number but it’s a lot – dozens and dozens. We want people to search for combo cards and just try putting stuff together at random. Combining weapons is some of the most fun that can be had in the game, as far as we’re concerned, and combination weapons give you double PP, allowing you to level up much quicker.”

What’s your favourite combination?

“My favourite is the Freedom Bear. If you take a jumbo teddy bear and combine it with a machine gun, it turns into a sentry with a Rambo headband that you can place in congested areas, and it will mow down zombies with machine gun fire for what seems like hours.”

Dead Rising 2 Dead Rising 2

Is the co-operative gameplay integrated into the story?

“Your friends can jump into your game at any point and if you want to play co-operatively from start to finish, then you can do that. The host player controls things like saving but whoever jumps in can carry PP and Combo Cards over to their own game. Playing with friends is particularly useful for things like boss fights and it is fun to just mess around.”

Do you also have competitive multiplayer?

“Yes, we have a four player versus mode which plays off the Terror is Reality theme. There are ten different events to play, including one where you’re all riding motorcycles with chainsaws attached to the handlebars and it’s a race to see who can kill the most zombies before the time runs out.”

Finally, what do you want people to feel when they play Dead Rising 2?

“Excitement… the feeling that you want to keep playing because you don’t know what to expect. I really want people to pick up on the humour. A lot of zombie games are so serious but Dead Rising 2 is about the ridiculous predicament Chuck finds himself in and the way that you’re able to humiliate zombies and use anything as a weapon makes it comical.”

Also, James, Group C champions! USA! USA!

30 Comments   1 Reply

+ D-Fase-Prop on June 24th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

I really didn’t like the first one but they say it’s been changed a bit and with the way you combined weapons to deal awesome death I’ll give it a try. COME to ME ZOMBIES and BLEED!!!!!!!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on June 26th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

:D

+ Dengarde on June 24th, 2010 at 9:18 am said:

I can’t wait for this game. I had a TREMENDOUS amount of fun with the first one.

+ HaVoK_ on June 24th, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

The first one was loades with cool, although a bit too confined. DR2 seems to be everything part 1 wasn’t. This seems to be like one of those really fun games that one can play for hours. I’m looking forward to it.

+ BlooodyCow on June 24th, 2010 at 9:22 am said:

off topic:
Jeff, did you guys do a Q&A video with Sucker Punch Studio about SLY 3D and the AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING inFAMOUS 2? inFAMOUS 2 was the best game at E3 for me and I really hope you guys did a Q&A session with them

+ superstewie on June 24th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

i hope sony sent the source-code for MLAA anti-aliasing to them ;)
it looks fantastic in god of war 3!

+ SpiritThief on June 24th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

They going to include Dead Rising 1 due to the awesome power of blu ray?

I also second the more info from Sucker Punch. I want to know if the Move is going to ruin my games *pray for optional* or just annoy me with Move only trophies :(

+ Shadowtroop1 on June 24th, 2010 at 9:46 am said:

is the co op 2 player or 4 player

+ somethingatt on June 24th, 2010 at 9:53 am said:

I’ll get this when the prequel comes to PS3, as that looked cool and I don’t want to play the main game without it.

I know it’ll come to PS3 because 99.9% of 3rd party 360 exclusives are timed. M$ loves throwing money around for those.

For sales and my gaming needs sake, I hope the prequel exclusive deal isn’t too long.

+ NinjaZeroEight on June 24th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

@somethingatt

Dead Rising 1 won’t be coming to the PS3. They’ve already ported Dead Rising 1 to the Wii so if they were going to bring it to the PS3 they would’ve done so already.

+ jbrown724 on June 24th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

It’s amazing how the zombie theme in games is so overused yet I never get tired of killing the things in different ways. Too much fun.

+ Ca5torTr0y on June 24th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

question for someone in the know: is the 2-player co-op slip-screen? my wife and i always have tons of fun playing together, making games like RE5, Resistance 1 & 2, Borderlands, and the Lego games some of our favorites.

+ Dangisuckatgamin on June 24th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

Can we please get the Rock Band Network songs up in-game?

Thanks!

+ MoneyMaker110 on June 24th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

is that a tiger going tiger on a zombie

+ Superstrokey1123 on June 24th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

Im really considering getting this game, always wanted a good zombie game.

+ somethingatt on June 24th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

@9 – NinjaZeroEigh:

I was talking about the Prologue DLC for Dead Rising 2 that is exclusive to 360, not Dead Rising 1 :)

+ mrdeadhead on June 24th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

i see a tiger.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 24th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

So we don’t get Dead Rising one or Dead Rising Case Zero. Why would I get this over Dead Space 2? EA actually is giving us great support, Capcom shunned PS3 users by moving MH3 to Wii and then making a Monster Hunter on 360, you know since MH sees 90% of its total sales in Japan and 360 is such a sales beast over there.

+ D-Squad3 on June 24th, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

Only game I wanted that was exclusive to the 360. Dead Rising

+ Naughty_-_Dog on June 24th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

how come we dont get dead rising and Case Zero if we dont get them then i dont see part 2 worth buying for then

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on June 24th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

Screw Capcom, giving an exclusive prequel to 360 and making us repurchase Street Fighter 4 instead of patching the old one like every other company would have done. And if they don’t patch Move controls into the original edition of RE5 as well as Gold edition I’m going to quit buying their games altogether. Not a fan lately.

+ lightweaponx on June 24th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

I loved the first one, one of the few reasons I even had a 360. I was about ready to pass this one up until full coop was confirmed though! A zombie game without coop is like an FPS without guns!

+ letherclad on June 24th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

This was the worst looking game at this year’s E3, it looks like the quality of a minigame in Home

+ boxmyth on June 24th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

Really looking forward to this, but the “demo episode” not coming to PS3 is really disappointing.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on June 24th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

I have a question: Can you play local multiplayer too? I mean, online is nice but local is WAY better. Will I be able to play this game in coop with my friends at home on the same PS3/TV?

Thanks in advance for the answer. =D

+ Senjutsu_Dav on June 24th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

@mrdeadhead said: “i see a tiger.”

LOL

+ Dracorius on June 24th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

I will buy this, just because of all the Canadian references and easter eggs. Should be a good party!

+ SarshelYam on June 24th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

Jeff…one question following two words: “Case Zero”. I know the business behind this “exclusivity” but man…next time you talk to some of our boys & girls at Capcom, let them know the PSN crowd wants in on this content. We don’t have the luxury of having played the first game (most of us anyhow), so a little backstory in the form of a little love from Capcom would certainly go a long way.

How about one of those super-sweet PS3 Exclusive Collector’s/Limited Editions that seem to be springing up on the PS3 as of late? *wink* If we can’t get Case Zero, I’ll take a PS3 bonus of Dead Rising 1!! XD

+ Midgetguy on June 24th, 2010 at 10:30 pm said:

He says a lot of zombie games are serious… I have yet to see a truly immersive and emotionally engaging zombie game! (Don’t say Resident Evil!) haha

I’ve dreamt of a zombie game that actually dwells on being seriously serious and seriously scary! But, it is cool to finally hear that a zombie game is coming out that’s MEANT to be funny. I hate games that claim to be serious and then turn out to be a laughing stock of clishe’s and unoriginal boringness.

+ Vergil3690 on June 25th, 2010 at 1:50 am said:

@11 I believe the co-op is online only. At least that’s what I heard last.

+ Washington48 on July 3rd, 2010 at 9:01 am said: