Paragon

Jun 25

Jun 25

E3 Encounters: Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Before sharing my E3 experiences with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it’s best if you watch the game’s debut trailer below. It’ll help answer more of your questions about the game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an upcoming action-RPG for the PS3 that combines ferocious first-person shooting, sneaking, and thought-provoking conversation with a huge cast of seedy characters. Deus Ex: Human Revolution serves as a prequel to Deus Ex, a critically acclaimed role-playing game that hit the PS2 in 2002. As in the original Deus Ex, DX: Human Revolution boasts a staggeringly wide range of influences: cyberpunk from Blade Runner and The Matrix, intellectual concepts borrowed from philosophers such as Michel Foucault, and conspiracy theories ranging from The Illuminati to Area 51 to the Knights Templar.

Set in 2027, DX: Human Revolution follows the same spiritual path as its predecessor. The world is literally falling apart at the seams, a murky mish-mash of unchecked technological advancement, crumbling social structures, and widespread bureaucratic corruption. You play as Adam Jensen, a security specialist for a cybernetic technology corporation, who is implanted with state-of-the-art bio-augmentations following a violent attack on his employer. Now Jensen is tasked with tracking down the group responsible for the attack. And he uncovers, uh, a lot more than he bargained for.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3

Deux Ex: Human Revolution plunges players into a dark, despairing world riddled with soulless corporations, corrupt governments, and elaborate global conspiracies.

Seen in early form on the PS3 at E3, DX: Human Revolution’s environments pop with detail. I spotted towering LED signs, sprawling trans-urban skylines, shimmering laser displays, and rain-slicked streets, topped off with a thick haze of grit and smoke. The non-player characters that populate Shanghai are more than a mere window dressing — they go about their daily routines, offer clues or side-quests, and throw their hands in the air if you draw a weapon. Your interactions with them are also varied: you’re able to browbeat, sweet talk, or lecture them using dialog options such as “Advise” and “Insist.” This allows for a wide variety of approaches to each conversation, meaning that your ability to read your subject’s reactions and react accordingly will be as valuable as your trigger finger.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3

Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s environments and characters buzz with detail on the PS3.

When it comes to nuts-and-bolts combat, though, DX: Human Revolution is packed with options. If you prefer the non-lethal approach, you’ll be able to sneak past enemies or knock them unconscious. If you prefer bloody-bones butchery, you’ll find plenty of outlets for violence. Jensen’s augmented body is studded with knives, concussion grenades, and other tools of destruction, and you’ll have access to a wide range of high-tech guns. You’ll also find many ways to upgrade your physical augmentations, from enhancing your hacking ability to using an invisibility cloak to adding heat-seeking capability to your rocket launcher. Depending on which upgrades you choose, your game experience could be radically different. Boosting your physical strength, for instance, doesn’t only enable massive melee damage — it enables you to move large objects that might help you avoid a fight altogether.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3

Kill, avoid, or sweet talk: the decision will be yours.

While waiting for Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s early 2011 release on the PS3, now’s a great time to experience — or re-experience — the original Deus Ex: The Conspiracy on PS2. Give it a whirl, and let me know what you think of the storyline and RPG elements in the comments.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

D-Squad3 said:

June 25th, 4:18 pm

Looks nice. First

ParadoX444 said:

June 25th, 4:25 pm

never played the game, but the story seems deep. wish it wasnt only a cgi trailer…is this a 1st person shooter?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 4:26 pm

Yep, it’s first-person, though taking cover and certain melee attacks are done in third-person.

XScreamingEagleX said:

June 25th, 4:25 pm

this game looks sick!!!

the trailer looks like a movie trailer…

i couldnt get into the first one bc of the gfx, but im hoping to try this one out!

any exclusives for the ps3? :P

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 4:27 pm

The first one is well worth playing — once the story gets you…

StephenMorin said:

June 25th, 4:25 pm

Any clue as to what the rating will be? As in T or M?

BlooodyCow said:

June 25th, 4:26 pm

The trailer look badass to be honest. So badass in fact that it peak my interest in this game.

ParadoX444 said:

June 25th, 4:28 pm

nice, thanks sid.

ThaddeusK said:

June 25th, 4:29 pm

I didn’t know there was a PS2 version of the original. But I loved the first game. Probably one of my all time favorite games. I hope they keep the RPG elements like they said they would. The second game was so simplified it turned into just another FPS.

smcinnis said:

June 25th, 4:30 pm

Absolutely loved the first game. Never got to try the second, and heard it was only so-so. But this looks fantastic! If you loved Fallout 3, this will likely be just as good if not better.

cybershinigami87 said:

June 25th, 4:32 pm

@StephenMorin
It’ll be rated M.
Anyway still have to play the first but I’m looking forward to this game.

Rhino136 said:

June 25th, 4:33 pm

Gonna try out the first soon because this has me interested.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 4:58 pm

It’s older, but put up with it — the story and RPG elements are tremendous

StephenMorin said:

June 25th, 4:34 pm

@cybershinigami87- Dang it! I thought it might be rated T because the previous games were (i think). But my parents are hecka strict they won’t let me play any M games even though I’m 15.

Favian702 said:

June 25th, 4:35 pm

This game looks awesome, kind of reminds me of metal gear solid from looking at the trailer.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 4:59 pm

There’s definitely an element of MGS in there — the stealth stuff particularly.

Blkant said:

June 25th, 4:37 pm

Hmm… Not sure… I always heard great things about the first, but from afar it just doesn’t look all that great… Also it comes out at a similar time to KZ3, making it a hard choice, but, I do like anti-corporate based stories. Hmm, maybe I’ll have to make room in my budget for another game, will there be a demo?

Too bad you can’t get that PS2 version on the PSN, I don’t trust putting non-blu-ray discs in my 60GB ever again.

Also on that note, its really really upsetting you don’t get other FPS classics on the PSN, I.E. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D. I’ve been wishing for those for so long on the PSN… :(

zabbyh said:

June 25th, 4:40 pm

I absolutely love Deus Ex, I’m still wondering which platform to get the game on, because I played the first 2 on PC and it was great. So it’s a toss up on PS3 or PC, I guess it depends on whether there is any exclusive stuff for PS3 version.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 5:00 pm

At E3, they were only showing it on PS3 — it looked very polished.

Blkant said:

June 25th, 4:40 pm

Also the first Unreal and first Unreal Tournament, I knew I was missing another classic FPS that should be on the PSN…

So Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Doom, Unreal, UT, and this games original… Would be great on the PSN :P

Many of us grew up with those titles after all, and Deus Ex is the only I haven’t played, so it would just be great to get them on the PSN

NEJI64 said:

June 25th, 4:42 pm

Aww… Sony have to get the first game remaster in HD like Medal of Honor.

tenuous said:

June 25th, 4:42 pm

Why can’t they do a movie with these properties it always bothers me when I see a trailer like this and its only a glimpse of what you can expect from the game. We need cgi movies with interesting context much like like Deus Ex.

Thanatos_Mors said:

June 25th, 4:43 pm

I love the series, but if you’re going to play the first, play it on PC. The PS2 version is incredibly watered down, with a great deal of the tactical choices removed.

That being said, I already have the third one paid off at my local Gamestop. Please let there be no delays.

jimfear said:

June 25th, 4:47 pm

do you have any idea if we will have any kind of exclusive content with this game?:)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 5:03 pm

It’s due out in early 2011, so it’s a ways off yet — such details usually come out closer to launch.

plaztiksyke said:

June 25th, 4:47 pm

Another vote for getting an “HD” version of the first two games onto the PS3 (with trophies!). Whether via PSN or at retail via an “ultimate edition” of the new game (like Dead Space 2 is doing for Extraction), I don’t care. My husband and I loved the second game on Xbox for it’s great story.

Will this new game have any gay characters? Can you choose the playable character’s sexuality? Local co-op? Move support? 24-bit audio?

Can’t wait to see the Deus Ex franchise take advantage of the PS3’s HD audio and video capabilities! (If that means a mandatory HD install, I’m totally cool with that!)

Kchow23 said:

June 25th, 4:51 pm

trailer sure looks awesome… have never played previous versions though

Mr2Good3 said:

June 25th, 4:52 pm

Is this a ps3 exclusive?..this cgi trailer looks sick, they should do a cgi movie about this franchise. I hope the game looks good, it would be a huge letdown

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 25th, 5:03 pm

No, but the E3 demo was running on the PS3.

DrBingogh said:

June 25th, 4:54 pm

Loved the first game and enjoyed the second. Very much looking forward to this one!

hush404 said:

June 25th, 4:58 pm

Hey Sony, Psst, Sony! I’m sure much more people would enjoy that PS2 version of DE if say… you got around to pumping out PS2 software emulation for the PS3 masses and put the title up on PSN ;) *Nudge *Nudge

Enigma777 said:

June 25th, 4:59 pm

This is my most anticipated game for next year after KZ3! Can’t wait!

JaKhris said:

June 25th, 5:02 pm

The first time I saw this trailer, I had shivers down my spine… the music is epic, and the whole setting is awesome. Indeed, it reminds of Blade Runner (amongst other things), and well, it blew my mind. I really, really can’t wait to play this. (I hope a demo is scheduled?)

Blkant said:

June 25th, 5:05 pm

I have seen them on share, but the issues is that none of them get enough show time so to speak to get them votes. You see some have thousands of views, but most of them get little more than a hundred, no matter how long they have been there…

Enigmatech said:

June 25th, 5:08 pm

Any PS3 exclusive content?

Mr2Good3 said:

June 25th, 5:12 pm

Sid I dont y you keep giving people the blogshare url..Sony doesnt listen to us, they do what ever they want. This system is 5 years old and still no ccg or apps or in game music. Blog Share is a joke! People dont waist your time. Sony needs to step psn up or im outta here come next systems! rant over

Noaxzl said:

June 25th, 5:13 pm

I already have the game for the PC. Haven’t played a lot of it yet, but I’m really loving it so far. I just hope Deus Ex 3 is as good as this, if not better.

poweredbyzen said:

June 25th, 5:14 pm

this looks delicious, good enough to eat! where’s the demo?!

poweredbyzen said:

June 25th, 5:14 pm

oh, and any pre-order goodness?!

Thegodslayer said:

June 25th, 5:31 pm

gona be gimped because its on 360 as well =/

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 26th, 1:45 pm

The fact that it was demo’d on the PS3 at E3 suggests the PS3 version was core.

Balflearspgc said:

June 25th, 5:43 pm

Thegodslayer, this game won’t be gimped because its on 360 as well.
It will be great on any plataform, but the way to go i bet is PC :)

MrBeatdown said:

June 25th, 5:45 pm

I’ve been waiting so long to hear more about this game. I flipped when I saw the original teaser back in 2007. I absolutely loved the original. It’s one of those few games I can go back to and play over and over.

I was going to come in and suggest a PSN HD re-release of the original PC version, kind of like Call of Duty Classic, but it looks like somebody beat me to it. If someone at Eidos is reading this, make this happen and my money is yours.

Anddo said:

June 25th, 6:10 pm

The original game is only $10 on Stream. I may have to check it out. I’m very intrigued by this title, definitely keeping an eye on it.

ILOVEPLASTATION3 said:

June 25th, 6:21 pm

WOW that game looks incredible. I also thought it was some CGI game! If the game though has graphics like that, and have a storyline just as awesome as the trailer makes it be perceived, then can I say, GOTY? :P It looks so dramatic and full of action. Def loving the sci-fi theme btw!

Darkpen said:

June 25th, 6:34 pm

I bought Deus Ex on Steam when the extended trailer came out a few weeks ago, only to learn that it went on sale a few weeks later when it was Deus Ex’s “birthday” at something like $3 >_>

jimmyfoxhound said:

June 25th, 6:40 pm

Deus Ex was a great game! I was a bit let down with part two so I’m hoping that the third game can bring the magic back of the first one!

Midgetguy said:

June 25th, 6:45 pm

If the game is as dramatic as that trailer it will be a definate buy from me! But, I’ll have to see actual gameplay footage… I can’t trust a CGI trailer, even if it is the most amazing thing ever!

I really REALLY hope that the story-telling and the dramatic elements that were present in the trailer are in the actual game! If not, it’s a real shame… because this story has a lot of potential.

(I don’t care how much fun Fallout is, the storytelling is terrible! I hope this game gets it right)

SyphonFusion said:

June 25th, 7:00 pm

How am I going to play the first one? I don’t have a PS2 and my PS3 isn’t backward compatible >_<

DTH666 said:

June 25th, 7:13 pm

Awesome i loved the first game i liked it on the pc but the graphics when the game ended on the ps2 was way better, the second could of been better if it weren’t for the universal ammo clips i really hated them. Now that the third one is coming out its really going to awesome!!! Its funny because my clans name for MW2 is MJ12, yes i did get that from Deus Ex. HA!

KazeEternal said:

June 25th, 7:18 pm

I’m behind SyphonFusion on this one. No BC on my PS3 and no PS2 to play on.

ATOMS11 said:

June 25th, 7:38 pm

I hope it plays as good as the stillshots look!

Derian said:

June 25th, 7:58 pm

Any thought to making an updated HD collection version of the first two games on PS3 (disc)? I played the first on my PC, and skipped Deus Ex 2.. wouldn’t mind picking up a package like that.

*Rant: I prefer disc games after the leap year bug. A purchased game ought to work no matter what, instead my PSN games were unusable or demos…. that really burned me on PSN games outside of DLC.

NeoGuardian86 said:

June 25th, 8:18 pm

picked up Deus Ex 1 and 2 on the PC… would definently pick up the two – if they were remastered like the Sly and God of War games.

BUT!

I am totally picking this game up.. this is one of those of those games that the more i see, hear, and read. and currently playing the first one.
the more excited i get for this game.

looks awesome!

babybluedb said:

June 25th, 8:18 pm

Wow all i got to say is by the looks of the video this games will be stunnig I think this will be a definate buy for 2011 thank you for posting on the blog i look forward to more info on this upcoming PS3 title keep the sexy trailers coming plz

David2Crazy said:

June 25th, 10:16 pm

So amazed that people here seem completely oblivious to DeusEx. I assure you, not all PS3 gamers are this clueless to games on other platforms.

Anyways, the game sounds great and I’ve been hearing nothing but positive feedback on it since E3.

IceCreamBandit said:

June 25th, 10:17 pm

WOW! i just got so excited about this that i sent a txt to like 10 friends telling them to watch the trailer….only to find out it’s a first person shooter….and now i’m about 1/10th as interested.

RAGE AGAINST THE FLOATING GUN GAMES!!!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

June 26th, 1:48 pm

It’s not a military shooter, it’s got its own style. And there are a ton of 3rd-person segments as well, such as sneaking or melee.

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

June 25th, 10:35 pm

Kinda hard to experience the original PS2 game without backwards compatibility and PS2 games on PSN isn’t it? :)

PAGE 1 2