PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 Available Now

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 28, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

UPDATE: Thanks for all of the feedback. Just a quick update, 3.40 has been released. In addition, PlayStation Plus is now available in the PlayStation Store.

We’re thrilled to hear that many of you are excited about the five star rating feature. This feature is retroactive for all of your PlayStation Store activity, so you can jump into the store right now and start rating all of your past purchases. Look for a “Rate” button on the product pages.

The PSN App on Facebook is also live. You can find it here: http://apps.facebook.com/playstation.

Hi everyone, once again we’re adding new features to the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system via firmware update to ensure we’re bringing you the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible. PS3 system software update (v3.40) will be available soon, adding the PlayStation Plus subscription, enhancements to the connection between your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts and more. Additionally, we’ll be launching system software update (v6.30) for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system simultaneously with PS3 system software update (v3.40), adding PlayStation Plus compatibility as well as other new features.

We’ve gone ahead and provided a few highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below:

• PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
  • Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
  • Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
  • Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
  • Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

photo Commentvideo upload

In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.

Add Friend Friends list PSN Tab

We’re very excited to be able to provide you with continued system software upgrades, which ensure your PS3 and PSP systems remain compelling offerings for years to come. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 and PSP systems, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate and http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psp/.

Let us know your thoughts. Enjoy!

965 Comments

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8 9 20

+ phreep on June 28th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

-ImOblivion

Holy rusted metal batman!!! That’s amazing! Just imagine uploading vids of your most insane crashes in MotoGP or dogfights in Tom Clancys HAWX?!?! Insane update this’ gonna be fanspastasticawesomesauce!!! :-D

+ TwinDad on June 28th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

@rAdIOhEad73

LOL.

Not sure he would say millions, but made it funny.

@hamma11

Where on the official PSN+ website does Sony state that Cross Game Chat is a feature? If you are using the was posted on some of the Sony EU website and taking down as fact, that’s fine and dandy. But no current Sony website states XGC is a feature.

+ GGCAN on June 28th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Lots of great enhancements coming.

Keep up the great work !

I love my PS3.

+ xpopxkidx110 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

#295: Dandonian

They already said Cross Game Chat will be coming out. Go back a few pages in the blog and look for the PSN+: Your Questions Answered post. Read the bottom portion. There you go. Most likely, guys, we’ll have CGC next update I’m assuming.

+ COG-287 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

I want the ability to change my psn id’s username even if I have to pay for it.

+ Karasawa7 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

three things every Playstation 3 owner wants are these. (1) cross chat between games, this way we can VOICE chat even if we’re not playing the same game,(2) the ability to send VOICE messages instead of text messages between users, and (3) PS2 games on PSN

+ G_i_g_a_n_t_o_r on June 28th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

I understand the strategy behind this update:
“Hey we’re getting motion controllers in the fall and we are sooooo going to steal the user base from Nintendo’s Wii, but we need family friendly social networking stuff to do on our console because it is too hard core gamer. I know, let’s add all of that Flickr, YouTube, and Facebook stuff.” (oops, did someone finally realize the PS3 doesn’t really do everything.)

It makes sense, except you continue to ignore your broken INTERNET BROWSER. No matter how many XMB “apps” you add, the browser will be the default application users will need to get on that grand ole World Wide Web.

P.S. This is 1000x more frustrating since you removed Linux support, where I could have had FireFox ( a real Internet Browser), Kino (real video editing software), Evolution (a real email application), and Skype ( real voice chat and instant messaging).

+ Kchow23 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

all of them were very nice upgrade… hope they are user friendly tho

+ CantaloupeKing on June 28th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

PlayStation Store ratings make this one of the best updates EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Fapthing69 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

How about a Music editing mixer and uploader so we can upload to the PlayStation Network Home, I am getting tired of hearing Animal House?

+ G_i_g_a_n_t_o_r on June 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

I am so ticked about you not fixing the Internet Browser, I have to post a second time. It has been broken for at least two years now. Get a F***ing clue.

+ ExpatTX on June 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

I like how the PSN is evolving, what I would like to see next is last.fm integration. The most important ps3 feature I would like though isn’t cross game chat, it is simply the ability to have user level security. At the moment you set a security level for your content and it applies to everyone.

I have 3 kids who like to play games so that means I have to set a level which blocks them from certain games/services. This means that everytime I want to game I have to change the rating or try and remember what order i purchased the dl games or change the level each time.

I would like to see user level rating for all contents/settings and password sign on required on the master account.

+ Sindred on June 28th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

You know, you can hate me for saying it, but I’ve been spending some time on my 360 lately because a few friends are playing Transformers, and I honestly cannot STAND cross game chat.

First of all, I log on to watch Netflix, and here comes a random invite to chat. “No, I’m busy”. Then I want to play a game with another group of people… And another friend sends an invite to chat.

I realize that I can just ignore them, but that simply doesn’t feel right, so I end up having to explain to them that I am watching a movie, and they explain how it’s ok, you can watch a movie and chat.

It’s like X-game chat has set up the expectation that people want to watch movies/play single player games/ while chatting with other people.

You know what. You bring it out Sony, to please all the Xbox-envy fans, but I won’t be using it. I talk to friends on the phone, and I chat with friends in games I am playing with them. Brief emails suffice for in between game communications.

I’m an editor for bread and butter, so I’m curious to see what this is like.

+ moriarty1975 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

@302

Not bothered by any of those 3 things “every” PS3 owner wants.

+ dono_1994 on June 28th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

@310 funny thing is…me neither

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on June 28th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

They need $ to build a viable Cross Game Chat on XMB.
So stop complaining, go at the store, buy yourself 3 x 20$ PSN cards.
Wait tomorow. Become a Premium user and wait…
Only $ can make SONY “MOVE”… (bad word play)
:S

+ bravo9zero on June 28th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

People stop complaining, this is a fantastic update!

Who cares about Cross-game chat?
WHY would you ever need to talk too someone playing a different game?

Pointless conversations ftw?

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on June 28th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

@ExpatTX disable your childs security… it’s useless.
Maybe you wanna control every details of your childrens miserable life…

PS. i have 3 kids too

+ ZariV on June 28th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Just let me be able to look at a picture when someone sends it to me instead of copying it, going over to my picture section, go through all my photos just to find the one my friend sent me.

Side note: Talk to the guys over at Mozilla to make a great internet browser for the PS3 instead of the broken one you have now. You guys at Sony have been dragging your heels on how to make some awesome software/apps for your system. You don’t seem to be paying attention to what ideas people have to improve the PS3 and I would bet that I won’t even get as much as a reply from anyone from Sony about this comment.

+ zerowing_us on June 28th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

2 hours delay to power saving power off default option? I hope the option to override it and disable power saving it’s still there on upcoming firmware v.3.40 .. I don’t want any possible software glitch to shutdown my PS3 while watching a movie more than playing a game…

Still waiting for absolutely needed and still missing features that the Playstation3 must support:

– SAMBA support to access shared network drives on Mac OS X, Linux and Windows OS systems. Why only DLNA support and no SAMBA yet?

– FLAC lossless audio codec support

– DiVX Plus/Pro 7.xx certified support

– MKV container support

– Folders and sub-folders management support on XMB to let users organize their own audio/video files properly

+ Argel319 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

3D Blu-Ray update, 3D Blu-Ray update!!!

+ J_KILL_SEAL on June 28th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

IT BETTER HAVE CROSSGAME CHAT BEEN ASKIN BEEN WAITIN ON CROSSGAME VOICE CHAT

+ Locke_VI on June 28th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

@ #302 Karasawa7: You shouldn’t speak for other people. I don’t care about cross game chat or voice messages, and both of my PS2s work perfectly.
What I’d like to see is a better internet browser, integrated netflix, and maybe something like hulu or vidzone.
I woudn’t complain about cross game chat if they added it, I just wouldn’t use it.
As for this update, I like the Video Editor & Uploader and Five Star Rating Support, both of those are things that I’ll.

+ INTERRERGATOR on June 28th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

wat time does it start

+ GiantRedRooster on June 28th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

Please fix the browser :(

+ fuzzyclutter on June 28th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

on one hand im excited.. but on the other im apprehensive . it was two or three updates ago that was suppose to bring a ” better browser expierience ” and since that time , the browser no longer can view certain video formats , can no longer see forum posts on the forums , and the ps3 knowledge center is no longer useful through the ps3 browser , in addition to login cookies not functioning . love ya sony and thanks to all the staff for your hardwork …. im just wondering whats not going to work in the browser after this update .

+ MONEYISME on June 28th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

This is the most EPIC update you guys have released, in my opinion! I mean like about four fully new features have been announced (I HEAT PLAYSTATION PLUS) and another four or five updates of older features! Thanks Sony/PlayStation! We owe you guys!

+ Light_KraZe on June 28th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Okay i have a question, or a couple of them, If i may ask, please.

So i have a Qatar Nationality playstation account, so i use other accounts to buy from PS Store, i have an american one, and a UAE account. and i understand both of those are going to get the playstation plus upgrade (Obviously).

But my question is, Is there gonna be a different between the american PS plus or any other ones ? if so i’ll be sure to get the better one!

+ Shooter4108 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

this update sucks what is this??

+ moriarty1975 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

For anyone not happy about no cross game chat in this firmware update here is the solution….

+ WII_FORCE_ONE on June 28th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Any chance you guys (and gals) can work out a deal with NHL center ice for next season, so that their can be a program similar to the MLB app?

+ Ciufo04 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Im give up trying to get to XGC. I mean really can we just move to ps4. All this crap we dont need and its going to be a mandatory update.

Im tired of the ps community saying oh don’t do it no one talks already on a game. You wanna know why I don’t talk to you? Because Im tired of the f words and the crying about the sniper killing you or your reason for losing or you calling me a name every 5 seconds because I killed you. I rather have a talk with someone who is playing another game who I can ask questions about and have a intellectual convo without all the 4 years olds crying about chocolate milk.

So please Sony stop feeding us the BS and just give us the damn reason why you cant. Stop feeding us oh there is more to come in this update because their isn’t. Don’t tell me its because your still finding ways to implement it.

2 years and you cant come up with anything, but you can make a video up-loader really? Im not giving you a dime for ps+ waste of a service. Its feels like I already rent my damn 60gb anyway so why would I want to rent something else from you.

Get it together or get gone . I GUESS NINTENDO WAS RIGHT ALL THOSE YEARS AGO , YOU CANT HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS.

+ mrkeith on June 28th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

cool can’t wait to try PSN + for a year :) Got my credit card ready

+ Djairman on June 28th, 2010 at 5:17 pm said:

When is the 3D blu ray update coming out? I have everything but an update for my PS3 so I can play 3D movies. Please get this out ASAP. Cheers!

+ wrx2004 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

A couple features that would be nice for future updates:
1) For DVD and BD playback, it would be nice to be able to set the time option to a user default. It always resets to the original count up status.
2) I would like to be able to update my PSP firmware through my PS3. Is there ever a chance of that happening?
Thanks.

+ xiked on June 28th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

So first off, ok update.

Second, WHERE is Cross Game Voice Chat?

That tiny but so IMPORTANT future will give SONY allot of XBlive users to PSN. And PSN users will be very happy. I REALLY HOPE that it is going to be free.

WHY? SONY will gain XBlive users and get money off Multi platform games and we will be VERY happy. Win win situation!

+ PaulMichael on June 28th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

I agree (329) CIUFO04, cross game chat will never happen I believe. At this point just make a PS3 to PS3 skype for god sakes, give us something.

+ ProjectInfiniti on June 28th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

LOL look at all of these posts of Xbox-envy…. down with XGC! It’s not needed!

+ SpeedRacer1955 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:24 pm said:

Qore Subscribers, bad news, customer service has said that there will be no consideration of your subscription purchase. They will not apply any refund or discount at this time. We need to post our sadness and call their Customer Service lines to let them know that they should change this policy. Also send e-mails so that they can document all this angst about purchase of PlayStation Plus when you also have a Qore Subscription. In my case I renewed on June 7th, which was two weeks before any news about Qore being part of the Premium Service features or “Freebie”. So now I will be charged for the same thing they are giving away for free if I were to purchase Plus. But to get the extra three months for free I have to purchase now. But I am tempted to just not get Plus until next year and if most of the Qore subscribers sent the same message we might get something done.

+ Undead_reapers on June 28th, 2010 at 5:24 pm said:

As I peruse through all these blogs, it makes me wonder how many people aren’t medicated? If you come here for an opinion about something then by all means, but if you come here to whine and complain how either your PS3 doesn’t work or how Sony gave you cancer of your testicles..then SEEK A THERAPIST. The idea of sony charging a year fee with perks it simply one word, revenue. I wonder do most people who have been a ps3 owner for years realise that we’ve been getting a good deal so far with content thats been free? But the bigger picture is that those so called free demos you’ve been downloading, it costs the gaming company eg. Raven software to come to sony and want there product available to the public before the game comes out and see how many will actually sell..this for most people out there is called MARKETING. Sony says, “Sure we’ll put your demo out there..but we’ll have to charge you a fee because you’re not an offical sony exclusive title.” This happens a lot eventually there have been a lot of demos we’ve never seen because these folks don’t want to be charged over and over. So Sony has to make there loss back somehow…this is called PlayStation Plus.

+ CJ_vzla on June 28th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

.MKV support PLEASE!

youtube is gonna be overloaded with my gran turismo 5 videos…in november that is…awesome update

+ Boricua_012 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

Can you RECORD videos with the new video uploader software?

+ vr6GOLFr32 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

“We’ve gone ahead and provided a FEW highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below”

The word “few” is intriguing me..

+ morris1129 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

There is one thing you must remember…PSN Plus is optional. If you don’t like anything you don’t have to buy it. Unlike the other game console you have no choice if you want to play online.
I have a choice,I like PSN Plus so I will be buying it tomorrow.

+ Detsuki-G on June 28th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

More facebook stuff? Still a waste or resources imo…

+ xplosneer on June 28th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

No Lempel demo video? Blasphemy!

+ DustyBlue on June 28th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

Sony, I personally hate you for ignoring your community. NOBODY wanted any of these features. NOBODY. Nobody will use any of this garbage. The only useful thing here is PS Store ratings. There’s this guy on the front page of this comments section who has a link to stuff people actually care about. That one post can be your reference for good ideas for the next update. Listen to your community, Sony. That has always been a guaranteed method of success. Give us what we want, and we will support you.

Basically, make community features more flexible and easy to access, make the PS3 perform tasks faster, make PSN/PS3 features more customizable, and give us the TWO primary things we have been asking for for YEARS: cross-game chat and PS2 backwards compatibility!

+ DustyBlue on June 28th, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

And what #100 said; why the HELL would anyone edit/upload videos on game console? That’s what computers are for! PS3s aren’t for making videos!

And at PSN Plus: If your going to “give” us free stuff, don’t make it where it’s totally useless if you aren’t paying a $50 renting fee. What, you have to resubscribe just to keep playing your game? You’re giving it to us, so let us keep it.

+ moriarty1975 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

@344

I’ll use this garbage.

+ moriarty1975 on June 28th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

@345

“And one particular thing that would be very useful that I haven’t been hearing demands for much: Being able to attach any kind of file into a message. At least stuff besides pictures. You should be able to send videos and music too, for example.”

That’s what computers are for!

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8 9 20