PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

New inFAMOUS 2 Gameplay Video on Spike’s GTTV

Wilson Cheng's Avatar + Posted by Wilson Cheng on Jul 03, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Many of you may have read that Sucker Punch showed inFAMOUS 2 gameplay to media behind closed doors at E3 (see the E3 inFAMOUS 2 trailer). Today, Sucker Punch wanted to provide you all with a sneak-peak at what’s in store for the game. Last night, Spike’s GTTV aired a special gameplay unveil of inFAMOUS 2, the evolving story of reluctant hero Cole MacGrath as he journeys to the historic Southern city of New Marais in an effort to discover his full super-powered potential.

As you’ll see in this electrifying new gameplay, Cole has some new melee combat and cool new super powers. Be sure to watch out for Cole’s new super-charged Ionic Vortex.

We’ll have much more to come on inFAMOUS 2 in the coming months, so be sure to watch this space!

186 Comments

+ mafecto on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

LOVE the new melee combat, especially the weapon.

Also, new Cole is growing on me.

inFamous is one of my all time faves, so obviously I can’t wait for this.

+ Jeigh on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

As a final note: I really don’t like that people are sniping Insomniac. They’re making ONE new IP for multiplatform and they know the PS3, so we’ll no doubt get the better end of that deal, not to mention any extras they may hand us as a sign of goodwill. They’re still my boys (and girls), they’ve still got Ratchet & Clank and Resistance exclusively for us, and they’re still three notches above your average multiplatform developer.

+ Kchow23 on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

can’t wait

+ JumpMan33 on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I like the new Cole but maybe the can release a Preorder DLC skin to play as the old Cole.

I thought the reason they changed him was that people that old cole was too generic and now people want old cole back O.o.

+ clupula668 on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

The game looks fun, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the new Cole design and voice. It totally threw me out of the clip.

As for multi versus exclusive, I support exclusives per system all the way. I remember when systems used to have an identity. Now that’s just been watered down and games have had to stick to the lowest common denominator.

If you want a particular game, you should HAVE to get a particular system to play it. Simple as that.

And I would like to know, exactly, how the PS3 version of Arkham Asylum is the worst one? When it has a lot of stuff the 360 version doesn’t even have.

+ RawrrSlayer on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

I miss Coles old voice. I’m sure I’ll survive though, lol

+ starBlinky01 on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

I’m not really sure why people are getting so excited over this trailer.. The movements look fun, but everything else looks.. err, I’ll just say not on part with the first game..

Those enemies look oftly generic.. I LOVED the look of every single enemy in the first one.. And the comic style graphics were great!

I have faith in them.. but I mean.. I am not sure what to think after their change in Cole..

+ SykoTech on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:00 pm said:

@Jeigh

I agree. Insomniac may have went multiplat, but it was just to create a IP they could own. They are still going to make PS3 exclusives, and whatever multiplat game they’re making will most likely be better on the PS3 anyway. No need for anyone to put Insomniac on the bad list because they aren’t 100% PlayStation exclusive.

inFamous 2 is looking great BTW.

+ clupula668 on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

The more I think about it, the more I really don’t think I will pick this up if I can’t play as the old Cole somehow UNLESS they change who this guy is. Make him a new character who got these powers or make him Cole’s brother or something. There is too much of a disconnect. It’s jarring, in fact.

+ BlazeKush420 on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

@3 no I dont want the game to sell more on other systems if its going to suck. PS3 only or nothing.
Blu ray>DVD

+ Rylone1 on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

The combat reminds me of God of War 3

+ dFUSE on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Please, please please please change the pants. He looks like a complete douchebag with those patterned jeans on… Its really offputting :)

+ xiked on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Sony listen to the first post!!

Quote: Sony should buy Sucker Punch and put them under SCEWWS before they sell out and go multiplat like Insomniac Games.”

+ Renan_Acid on July 3rd, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

I don’t like the new Cole. Tatoos are DISGUSTING! D:

But the gameplay looks awesome, though. =D I just hope they will bring the old Cole back…

+ Midgetguy on July 3rd, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Definately reminescent of Uncharted 2… But, it seems even more action-packed and fast pased even compared to that cinematic beast!

I loved the dramatic camera-angle changes, and how all the cutscenes were in game, and basically had pre-animated characters/objects, with dynamic backgrounds based on where the player was at the time. (At least that’s what it felt like.)

Very awesome! This game could possibly bring back my faith in Sucker Punch! (I loved their Rocket game on the N64, and Sly Cooper is one of my PS2 favorites, but I felt InFamous (the first one) lacked quite a bit from a storytelling/dramatic perspective.)

But, I’m SERIOUSLY looking forward to InFamous 2 now!

+ cokefiend on July 3rd, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

I loved the first Infamous. It had a good story. Cole was fine exactly how he was, especially evil Cole. New Cole looks too much like Nathan Drake. His character is not supposed to look or act douchy. Without spoiling anything of the first game, after all the things he went through, he wouldn’t be prouncing around like a clown, like this new Cole.

+ VixDiesel on July 3rd, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

Please, Please get rid of this crappy metro looking Cole. He looks like every other game character out there now. He’s sarcastic like Nathan Drake, wears jeans now like ND, and has stupid boy hair like ND.

Please go back to the old Cole and get rid of this voice actor too while you’re at it.

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on July 3rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm said:

That Ionic storm is pure awesome ^,^

+ dudewert on July 3rd, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

I LOVED the first infamous any changes for the better are welcome on my tv

+ Kenshin71 on July 3rd, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

I hate the new character design and VA so much I’m not sure I’ll buy this game even though I liked the first. It’s like the difference between Sean Connery and Roger Moore.

SP made a big mistake changing it imo.

+ Zinacef on July 3rd, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

Is it me, or does Cole look younger?

+ Elvick_ on July 3rd, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

Thank you Sucker Punch for alienating me from inFamous as a series. I look forward to inFamous 3 and what new character you try to pass off as Cole then. Also can’t wait to see who you try to pass off as Sly Cooper in Sly 4. A seal maybe? No… a squirrel. Yes of course, makes perfect sense. /sarcasm

I’m so disappointed in this. Nothing is more important to me than continuity. In games which I care about story anyway. And I cared about the story in inFamous, but not so much anymore. Taking liberties to completely change the main character is ridiculous. This isn’t Zelda.

+ hardknock55 on July 3rd, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

i love inFamous the game and the new trailer and all but why did they change cole’s apperance that just throws me off a little but inFamous 2 does look good

+ LegendSoldierX on July 3rd, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Oh my god, I am so hyped for this!!!

+ pacman5 on July 3rd, 2010 at 6:51 pm said:

I still like the old Cole better, but I’ll still enjoy inFAMOUS 2 regardless of the new Cole. The game looks amazing, and I can’t wait until 2011.

+ derth44 on July 3rd, 2010 at 7:07 pm said:

i don’t understand why people are upset about the new change with cole. the change doesn’t mean anything, it doesn’t effect the impact the story at all.

+ DrkrZen on July 3rd, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

I’m still not completely sold on remaking Cole into an entirely new character. I, personally, liked how he looked in the first game. In this one, he looks like generic skater #3 from a SKATE or Tony Hawk game.

I have no doubt the game will be amazing… ‘cuz, well, its Sucker Punch, after all. But to do this would be like giving Drake a black leather jacket, sunglasses, slicked back hair and a new voice actor in Uncharted 3. Why introduce a character and allow us to get used to him only to change him entirely going into the next title?

At any rate, game looks awesome, Cole doesn’t, and I still look forward to it.

+ pacman5 on July 3rd, 2010 at 7:57 pm said:

I agree with 118 (DrKrZen)

I still plan on buying inFAMOUS 2, but the game looks exciting from watching the video.

From watching the video the game looks amazing, and I’m glad they added new rails in the game to move along quicker unlike the first inFAMOUS whereas you needed to repeatedly jump from edge to edge.

The new melee attacks looks amazing also.

+ TheGuardianFID on July 3rd, 2010 at 7:59 pm said:

I am salivating at the thought of this game, SOLD!!! 8)

+ Myke-Myke on July 3rd, 2010 at 8:08 pm said:

This game is looking amazing. I can’t wait for it to release next year. I could care less how Cole looks, this game w/ all the new add gameplay looks great. I bought the first day 1 and this will be NO different. Day 1 purchase for me!!!

+ XScreamingEagleX on July 3rd, 2010 at 9:14 pm said:

freakin blows my mind!!!

this is awesome!!

any demo coming soon?? :P

+ DoctorSpud on July 3rd, 2010 at 9:37 pm said:

The gameplay itself looks incredible, but I do NOT like the new, borderline cartoony look. I mean, what the hell, Sucker Punch? The look of the first inFamous was just fine…

+ Fusion_the_Cat on July 3rd, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

HELICOPTER TO THE FACE!!!

+ Leinaro on July 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 pm said:

I’m still trying to finish the first one. Great game, with few, minor flaws.

Sure hope the second one’s even better, and from the looks of it, I’ve got a good feeling it will.

+ KDiaz123 on July 3rd, 2010 at 10:43 pm said:

1. Kinda liked the old Cole
2. Love the new melee attacks
3. Double swords are SOOOOOO cool
4. What the heck is that smokey thing at the end of the E3 trailer
5. Holy S#it ICE!!!
6. Kinda hated how the old Cole was soo boring and serious all the time.

+ KDiaz123 on July 3rd, 2010 at 10:44 pm said:

OH YA WHERES DA DEMO!!!!! OR WHEN!!!!!

+ solace357 on July 3rd, 2010 at 11:13 pm said:

Wow, you should have shown this at E3… not the other trailer. Looks incredible.

+ footballrule on July 3rd, 2010 at 11:26 pm said:

1 word… EPIC!!

+ JakeRuiner on July 3rd, 2010 at 11:30 pm said:

WOW looks so awesome!!! the high action sequences are excellent!! looks very promising just full of potential!

+ gslimjim98 on July 3rd, 2010 at 11:56 pm said:

no matter how great this game is, after seeing cole jump on that car and try and act big and bad, it confirmed that the old cole was the original bad a**. this cole looks and sounds like a poser. he doesn’t seem intimidating at all.

+ angelspawn77 on July 4th, 2010 at 1:07 am said:

been meaning to pick up the first for quite a while now, but I havent gotten around to it, I’ll most likely get it sometime this month. On the topic of the video though, the game is looking great, will definitely be keeping my eye on this game. The lightning tornado is awesome.

+ Seraphim99 on July 4th, 2010 at 2:55 am said:

It’s rare for me to get to the end of a game, but I made it to the end of Infamous… Then went back and played it as ‘evil’ to see the alternate ending.
I loved that game, despite the flaws.
I’ve been eagerly awaiting news of the sequel, and have to say I’m really excited by the gameplay elements that are on show in the trailer.
I have to agree with the other posters about the new-look/new sound Cole, though.
It’d be good if Sucker Punch could have the original Cole look in the game for those who prefer it – maybe they could add the ‘skin’ and offer it to those who have an original game save file on their PS3?

+ ChrisTiffer on July 4th, 2010 at 4:10 am said:

It’s disheartening to see the amount of negative feedback regarding Cole’s new look. Has no-one bothered to read the Sucker Punch interviews around E3? Or even seen the original concept art around the original inFamous? Cole was always meant to have hair but didn’t have any in the first game as the engine could not render it; this ‘new’ Cole is actually a realisation of the character, not a redesign. Did no one else find the gravel-voiced, shaven-headed grumpus from the first game utterly unconvincing as a regular guy, let alone a courier? This new Cole is a more authentic character. Furthermore I think that the thing we all loved about the first game was the incredible gameplay, and it looks like Sucker Punch has refined that here: lucky us, you ingrates. Honestly its like watching a baby throw its toys out if its pram. The only criticism I can make is that they still haven’t put enough colour into the game and the environments at grey as a result, same as they were in the first game. Otherwise, well done you Sucker Punch.

+ Berae on July 4th, 2010 at 5:56 am said:

this is my most anticipated game of all known titles that has been announced

+ kivi95 on July 4th, 2010 at 6:27 am said:

please change the voice.

+ VintageOctopus on July 4th, 2010 at 6:42 am said:

I never had a ton of interest in the first game. (Though I’d still love to buy it if I saw a cheap, used copy) This one, though, looks incredibly sick. Sucker Punch has certainly done an amazing job with gameplay, it looks like.

+ clupula668 on July 4th, 2010 at 9:38 am said:

I worked as a courier when I was younger and this new Cole looks way too clean-cut to be one, as least one from a major metropolitan area.

I cannot stress how much I absolutely hate the new look and voice. It’s not deep enough and he really does look like Nathan Drake’s embarrassing younger brother.

My purchase of his game will be pretty much 100% dependent upon giving us a skin of the old Cole, at the very least (the voice acting will still stick in my side, though).

+ Senju_Karim on July 4th, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

Cant wait! Second favourite new franchise for this generation! (Uncharted wins of course!) New Cole design I like no problem for me. I remember when everyone complained about the original design and voice…what an entertaining industry! :D

Side note…maybe the original design can be an unlockable for persons whole platinum’d the original or something…(I know I have! :D)

+ HMS_Victor on July 4th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

PLEASE SUCKER PUNCH IF YOU’RE LISTENING. CHANGE COLE’S LOOK BACK. I’VE GOT NOTHING AGAINST THE VOICE BUT I DON’T WANT THIS METROSEXUAL SUPERHERO. I’D RATHER HAVE OLD COLE BACK

+ Detsuki-G on July 4th, 2010 at 1:20 pm said:

Like the improvements to getting around the city, aerial enemies like that helicopter and destruction’s nice.

bad:

Overblown cinematics, modern styled music, and the whole thing feels so scripted and cliche. Feels like they’re aiming for an Uncharted like game. Sucks since we have uncharted for this.

Generic scifi enemies. Firstsons weren’t very original but Dusk Men and Reapers had a unique appeal to them for me that I just didn’t find in other action games. Hate new Cole; the old cole fit the inFamous PERFECTLY. It’s one thing to improve a character but it’s whack to re-do him from scratch, it ruins continuity.

Everything he did in this demo made him seem overpowered. Helicopter rams him in the face and blows him up, he gets up like it’s nothing. That melee weapon kicked too much ass way too easily… I know part one had the gigawatt blades but that was preorder DLC, had to be brought out again after each hit and took 3 nodes of energy each time it was used. And where’s the gauge for that? Hope we don’t have infinite energy… The Lighting storm was a WMD, we really need a tornado which doesn’t even seem like an electric power?