Ratchet & Clank PS4

Jul 09

E3 Encounters: Two Worlds II for PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jul 09, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Fans of epic open-world RPGs like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 will want to keep their eyes peeled for Two Worlds II, an upcoming fantasy RPG that’s headed to the PS3 this fall from developer Reality Pump. I sat in on a demonstration at E3 to learn more about the game, but before I start yammering away, check out the trailer below to get a sense of the universe and visual style.

Set in a massive open world teeming with animal life, Two Worlds II is an RPG that’s intensely focused on player freedom. You won’t find rigid character classes like “Barbarian” or “Thief.” Instead, you’ll build a custom class by assigning skill points across a wide range of talents: assassination, melee combat, trade, lockpicking, and magic to name just a few. Want to combine the spell-casting acumen of a Wizard with the brute melee force of a Warrior? No problem: just assign your skill and stat points accordingly. You use the directional pad to swap quickly between your gear loadouts, so you could soften up an enemy with magic while wearing your spell-boosting equipment, then instantly swap to your heavy armor and axe to dash in and finish the job.

Two Worlds II for PS3Two Worlds II for PS3

Magic spells are similarly dynamic and customizable (are you sensing a theme here?). Rather than find and assign a typical “Fireball” spell, for example, you can mix and match various magic traits (in the form of cards) to achieve a witches’ brew of effects. In my demonstration, I saw the player combine a fire card, a multi-shot card, a heat-seeking card, a summon card, and a reflection card to create a wicked spell that flung bouncing, splitting, heat-seeking, flaming projectiles that spawned demonic enemies on impact. Not bad, eh? Two Worlds II will contain a vast number of spell combinations – I overheard “10 to the 16th power” – and might draw comparisons to Borderlands’ similarly monstrous weapon arsenal.

Two Worlds II for PS3Two Worlds II for PS3

The online mode is expansive, with eight-player PvP duels (ranging from 4v4 to free for all bloodbaths), a separate co-op campaign that supports eight players as well as a unique quest and environments, and a “Village” mode where you can grow and evolve your own fantasy-RPG city. In the Village mode, you’ll be able to invite your PSN friends to visit your town and share their specific talents with your townspeople, be it leather crafting or weaponsmithing. Guild support for online play is also a go.

Two Worlds II runs on the Grace engine, and is highly optimized for the PS3 hardware and DualShock 3 controls – a major departure from its predecessor’s PC focus. If you have questions about Two Worlds II, let me know in the comments and I’ll try to shed more light on my experiences with the game.

PAGE 1 2

+ skynidas on July 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

Hey, this looks really good, I’ll be keeping an eye on this title.

+ SarshelYam on July 9th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

I think I may have been one of those few “blessed” that Richard Iggo referred to as “liking” the game. Actually…when the patched were put in place it was more than playable and I loved every minute of it. While a bit more short lived than Oblivion, I dumped plenty of hours into the first TW game and I cannot wait for this one.

You have a day 1 sale here Aubrey…I reserved it the minute GameStop opened up reservations for the game. BTW, 10/10 is my birthday…so thank you for the early present!

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the first go round, and you’ll be happy to see a lot of familiar features from the first game make an appearance in the sequel, but much more fleshed out and polished.

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 8:35 pm said:

10/20 is my birthday – yay Libra friend!

+ SyrupCakeEater on July 9th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

O ya i for got one more thing, What ever happened to the gladiator game that was announced at E3?? I didnt really get to hear that much about it, any way it could be put up here?? I dont remember the name of it.. I hope you do.

+ Ventaur on July 9th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

Sure the control scheme in the first Two Worlds was bad, but one thing that made me mute the game while playing it was the voice acting.

I’ve criticized Bethesda for having too few voice actors for NPCs because they blow their budget on big voice names; which is just not necessary. All we want is quality variety voice acting. That is, many distinct voices that don’t sound like script readers.

The first Two Worlds seemed to have more variety than Oblivion’s 4 voice actors, but most of it was atrocious. It sounded like people were chosen from developmental reading classes at a community college!

Please, tell me the voice acting is better quality still with a bit of variety.

Looks SUPERB, by the way!

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Voice acting is being coordinated and recorded locally for each international region (no big names), and overseen by the writers themselves. The game features over 200 unique voices, so there should be no lack of variety.

+ emjayx on July 9th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

First of all, props on having viddler work for the ps3 again!
Now, I did NOT expect to see this title on PS3 at all. I thought it was a 360 exclusive. But I’m glad it’s coming to the PS3! If it’s anything like Oblivion on crack + extensive/addicting online play, then count me in.

I have several questions about the co-op. What happens if I already finished a quest but the other person hasn’t? Will it let me still play with them? How does it work?
Is there some sense of direction in co-op, like which quest to do first (Instead of 8 players roaming around the world seperately)?
Can you invite friends to play online?

Is there voice-chat?

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 4:58 pm said:

The single player and multiplayer features of the game are distinctly separate, however with the village mode there is still tons of open-area questing to do with friends which vary from town to town.

In addition to the village mode, there is a co-op campaign designed in a mission style format that has a unique narrative aside from the main single player plot.

Players can invite each other to play PvP together, run a couple co-op missions, or into their player specific village at any time.

Plans are to support voice chat through the Playstation Network.

+ Finaldeath1689 on July 9th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

I never did play the first one because everyone i talked to said it was complete junk, but this one looks pretty neat, i’ll just wait till about a week or so after it comes out and see what people think first.

+ Thrasher20 on July 9th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

+ XScreamingEagleX on July 9th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

this looks interesting

looking forward to it, while i wait for another elder scroll :)

will there be any sort of multiplayer?

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Tons of multiplayer – there are three modes: one focuses on PVP ranging from free for all matches to pairs and teams, up to 8 participants in each session. The co-op mode will feature 6+ hours of co-op missions for up to 8 players at a time, and last but definitely not least, Reality Pump is putting their RTS background to use in what we like to refer as “Village Mode” which takes an overarching city management approach to the Two Worlds universe. :) More detailed info to come about multiplayer soon!

+ crowsticky1234 on July 9th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

As I last read on the magazine that the first Two Worlds had some bugs and glitches. Is that all going to be improved in this one or there going to be updates on this game.

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

Hey there! There are a TON of improvements in Two Worlds II vs. the original – literally everything from the entire game engine, lighting, controls, user interface, crafting, combat, magic system, writing and voice acting, horseback riding, etc. etc. etc. has been -completely- overhauled. Topware and Reality Pump are very passionate about taking feedback from the first to heart and making a game that RPG fans will absolutely love! :)

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Ya, what she said!

+ BlooodyCow on July 9th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

@Sid Shuman
Sorry Sid Shuman, but controls were the least of all the problems with the first game. Controls are not going to magically make the second game better.

+ wolfzero1 on July 9th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

I’m amazed the first one got a sequel considering the bad word of mouth & reviews highlighting the bugs & glitches.

If the managed to fix these then I would consider checking it out

+ MMaLuFF on July 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

I want a copy….:)

+ SecretGreen on July 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

I recommend people read the reviews of the first game as well as reviews from E3 concerning the second game. It is nothing like Oblivion or Demon’s Souls.

The first game was terrible. So terrible in fact many reviewers and web sites don’t think much of the sequel.

+ SarshelYam on July 9th, 2010 at 5:17 pm said:

As long as enhancements stack like the first one, and you can continue to combine armor sets…I’m on board Jake. Thanks for the reply! I’m so happy the team wasn’t too discouraged by the negative feedback on the first. I wish more companies would take the criticism critically and use it to create a better product in the end.

+ Philaroni on July 9th, 2010 at 6:11 pm said:

Might have commented about this too late but if you do read it please think about it very seriously.

One thing I hate is having to start over from day one in games like this unless I want to make a hole new character. With that said having a way to reset your skill points for a price in game would be a very welcome feature if it fits in with the design idea you have for the game.

+ Upwithlife on July 9th, 2010 at 9:05 pm said:

Looks awesome. Hope they have a demo for it soon.

+ hush404 on July 9th, 2010 at 9:54 pm said:

It’s nice to see such a lovely game make it to the PS3 this time, I’m pleasantly surprised and happy with that; the video looked decent, but I’m still going to need some convincing. A demo perhaps? Stacking this game up against titles like ES4 Oblivion and FO3 means you’ve got some enormous boots to fill, as I consider those titles to be the cream of the crop in their respective categories of this generation.

+ burnedearth on July 9th, 2010 at 10:20 pm said:

This looks really good. Hopefully a demo is coming.

+ MMaLuFF on July 9th, 2010 at 10:41 pm said:

Dear Mr. DiGennaro,

You mentioned that players will receive points when they level up, in order to distribute them among skill/stats, something I always look forward to find in a RPG, is freedom to suddenly change everything, or to learn another skill, RPG is all about that or should be, but instead developers always make us choose. Just to mention the last RPG I have played and because its very close in style (as far as the video goes) I developed my almost all my character skills in Oblivion, so i could choose how i wanted to attack my enemies, either using a bow, sword or magic.
To be Honest, i just found out abot TW today, but it is a day 1 purchase and i think this freedom of choose would just bring more to this already great game. BWT IF DLC are beeing planned or even a Goty edition. Please let us know ASAP. Thank you!!!

+ Jorge_JavierX on July 10th, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

Hopefully this game will not suck.

+ Philaroni on July 9th, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

@Aubrey Norris

Hah, My Bday is October 6th, the that is when demon souls came out and I said this same thing on the blog and I ask jokingly for a free copy of the game and he said they would sing to be instead, but that never happed :(

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 8:37 pm said:

So……can i sing for you on your birthday instead???? i promise that it would be filled with win!

+ Berae on July 9th, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

Looks very interesting, next time on the blog bring a gameplay video, i want to see it in action

+ Brosive on July 9th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Wow. This may very well be the game to get me off of Demon’s Souls. I guess we’ll see, right?

+ SecretGreen on July 9th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

I want to see a demo of the game before it is released. Proof is int he pudding and these guys need something to back up the hype.

+ IronWarrior3 on July 10th, 2010 at 3:47 pm said:

Can you make your own characher’s appearance like in Oblivion?

+ mixedkidbx on July 10th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Im looking forward to playing this game. So far it has appealed to me. I just hope the leveling system is NOT like Oblivion. Oblivion for me took away all the fun of the game when it came to having to “level up the correct way” or be destroyed with ease the higher your level got. I hated the fact that leveling had to be so specific in what you had to do to correctly being able to level up the “right” way.

I hope in Two Worlds II the leveling system isn’t set up to where you have to do certain things to level up “correctly” or face being killed in one or two hits in higher levels because your character is gimped.

+ gamelover2 on July 10th, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

The game looks great and I can’t to hit the store.

+ DaftMav on July 10th, 2010 at 9:21 pm said:

Ah, so here they do respond… on the EU PS blog where this post has been copied/quoted are a bunch of questions too but nobody is responding. Perhaps you guys (red replies) could come over to the EU blog as well? I’m guessing nobody was notified of the EU blog post…

Anyway, can’t wait for this game to release. Hopefully we’ll get to see & play the game on GamesCom.

+ wocyob on July 11th, 2010 at 12:35 am said:

never played the first one but this one is looking pretty fun… sorry about your first game “from what i read from reviews” hope this game works out from you… and from what Sid is saying im sure hes not blowing smoke… good luck and ill keep an eye out on your game

+ wocyob on July 11th, 2010 at 12:37 am said:

sorry to double post but i just notice that i still have a sackboy as my avatar…. i changed my avatar some time ago to a heavy rain avatar…. no big deal but i thought ill share that

+ ThanatosDMC on July 11th, 2010 at 1:12 am said:

Awesome, i liked the first one a lot.

+ Jeigh on July 11th, 2010 at 10:02 am said:

Why make a sequel to a game with a bad reputation? You work uphill trying to promote it, you have to answer for all of the mistakes of the previous game and, worst of all, you’ve got a story carried over from a game that ISN’T ON YOUR TARGET SYSTEM.

+ Aubrey Norris on July 12th, 2010 at 8:45 am said:

Why? Because we think we can make something that will be better than the first, based on all the things we learned from that experience. And just because something is difficult, doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing. ;)

Instead of being a developer that shrugs off constructive criticism and feedback and keeps pumping out games without listening to what people want, Reality Pump has taken it to heart and is genuinely trying to make something that will reflect that…and I think they should be given a lot more credit for trying to make a good experience out of something with not that great of a history.

Also – there is no target system for Two Worlds II. All three platforms are being developed simultaneously with the GRACE engine. Reality Pump specifically developed their engine so that there would be NO porting! :)

+ Nochtitus on July 11th, 2010 at 9:04 pm said:

The game world. How BIG is it?

+ EmperorKorea on July 12th, 2010 at 1:37 am said:

hopefully this one won’t be a steaming pile of poop like the first.

+ Bloodsol on July 12th, 2010 at 6:24 am said:

Don’t know if your still taking question,but would there happen to be allies in the single player that follow and aid you?

also thanks for answering first question.

+ RockSauron on July 12th, 2010 at 8:23 am said:

Like the person above, I don’t know if you’re still taking questions but I figured I might as well give it a shot.

I’ve always liked the idea of player housing/ player towns in games, and wished more games used it and integrated it. That was pretty much the only reason I bought White Knight Chronicles even though I ended up hating it >_>

So, I’m not totally convinced I’ll get this but I think I may eventually, however I wanted to know more about the Village mode which, really, is one of my most looked-forward to features, and I hope it is done right.

How exactly do you build new buildings? Do you just use money or do you have materials you need to collect to build houses? And if so, are the materials realistic (like logs or bricks or stuff) or fantastical (like insect wings)?

Also, how do you get “recipes” to build new buildings? Are there story mode quests that you can do to get new buildings you can build?

I know I’m probably one of the few people who has been wanting something like this in a good game, but if the town building is integrated into the game itself nicely I’ll really consider picking this up.

So any word on how that works? :p

+ Steema on July 13th, 2010 at 10:42 pm said:

After skimming the blog and reading up on this title, I have to say Im very excited to have an open world RPG to look forward to outside of the Fallout franchise. I love Fallout but Im tired of the setting (Post Apocalyptic World.) Great to see such freedom in the creation system and also in the spells. I was so impressed when I envisioned borderlands character customization elements mixed in with a sacred 2 style world. I own both games, sad that you did not feature local co-op in any form as these games are usually played as such by myself and the Mrs. That would have made it one for the collection, I feel that lack of local co-op should not die out of this genre of gaming. That said, your online ambitions are also looking promising! Hope to play this one one release.

+ gazzasster on July 29th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

Hey I was just wondering if you’d be able to buy and decorate houses in this game?

+ Maitre on July 9th, 2010 at 8:09 am said:

does the story follow the first Two World … i don’twant to buy a 360 to not feel like i lost some infos

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

Confirmed – you don’t need to have played the first game. The events in this version of the game take place several years after the events in the original Two Worlds, and the game will give you some context and background as to what’s been going on in the world of Antaloor before the beginning of the game. :)

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

It does and it doesn’t — it’s a continuation of the first game, but I was told you didn’t need to have played the first game.

+ ixbleedxfire on July 9th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

looks pretty awesome, hopefully it has crazy online support

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

Believe me when I say we at TopWare set out with multiplayer as a major focus for the game, and there will be more than enough to keep you busy for maaaaany many hours!

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

Did you read my paragraph about online play? It’s quite ambitious!

+ Yung_Gunners__ on July 9th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

Buying this game!!!

+ strightjoebob on July 9th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

Hows the online play? What is it like? Can you do split screen? Or does it have one screen for both players?

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

I have a whole paragraph on online play above: 8 player competitive, 8 player co-op, and a “Village” mode. Lots to do online!

+ loadstone007 on July 9th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

If this will be on par with Oblivion, I will buy it. For now it looks nice, nothing impressive.

+ pcwzrd13 on July 9th, 2010 at 8:17 am said:

Does the game have towns with houses that you can break into like in Oblivion? That was one of my favorite things to do in Oblivion.

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

The game does have households within the towns that you can lockpick the doors to, and ransack the unsuspecting homeowners chests full of goodies…just don’t get caught by the guards!

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

I did not see this personally, so it’s an open question. We’ll try to get the developers back to the Blog soon so they can answer questions like this!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 9th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

im not that crazy about RPGs or DUNGEN AND DRAGONS..but this game looks good..im sure SONY can come up with a better game..with diffrent time zones..and chracters..like NINJAS or PIRATES..soudns wierd..but im sure with ALOT OF HELP from the SONY DEVs it would sell :p

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

Who said we didn’t have pirates???

+ Balefired on July 9th, 2010 at 8:23 am said:

This sounds similar to Guild Wars so I’m pretty excited about it. I’m just hoping there’s no monthly fee like I’ve heard about for DCUO.

+ Aubrey Norris on July 9th, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Correct – no monthly fee. :)

+ LightAce on July 9th, 2010 at 8:23 am said:

Well I’m highly doubting it but would there be a possibility of offline co-op? Say we made 2 characters assigned to two different PSN accounts and save files

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

Correct, no offline co-op offered.

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

Good question that I don’t know the answer to unfortunately. Stay tuned, we’ll get the developers on the Blog to talk more!

+ digitalgoodtimes on July 9th, 2010 at 8:24 am said:

Wow, but will I have time for this and New Vegas!!!

+ jwr718 on July 9th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

Not much of a question, since it’s already confirmed to use the Dualshock 3 but… Any chance we can see this game on the Move eventually? It sure does look good for it, with all the magic, archery and sword and shield stuff going on.

+ Jake DiGennaro on July 9th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

There are currently no plans to incorporate the Move into gameplay

+ Sid Shuman on July 9th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

Interesting, good point! (^_^) No word yet.

+ Popyseed11 on July 9th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

I really liked the first Two Worlds on the PC for online, i hope this one has good online also!
Gorgeous graphics in the first one, even better in this one, AWESOME.

PAGE 1 2