Jul 13

Live on PSN: Blur Multiplayer Demo

Dan Amrich's Avatar Posted by Dan Amrich on Jul 13, 2010 // Community Manager, Ubisoft

I love driving fast cars — and destroying them. Ever since the original Twisted Metal in 1995, I have always loved games that give me both wheels and weapons. I’ve never been much of a simulation guy, so while I can appreciate Gran Turismo’s beauty and stunning accuracy, I’m the type of gamer who can’t help but wonder why a rocket launcher doesn’t come standard.

Blur demo for PS3

Today, the PlayStation 3 demo of Blur became available in the PlayStation Store — and you know what comes standard? Pools of lightning bolts, explosive mines, bursts of nitro speed, and big glowing red balls of homing-missile danger. This is the kind of arcade-style combat racing that gets my motor running. Oh, and the mileage is excellent — I’ve been playing Blur for weeks now and I’m still not bored.

The Blur multiplayer demo gives you a pretty sizeable chunk of what the game has to offer. A dozen real-world cars, including I’ll-never-own-it-but-I-can-drool rides like the Lotus Exige Cup 260 and Ford GT; six tracks in two gameplay modes; seven mods that let you tweak the game mechanics to match your style of play; all eight of the chaotic power-ups; and the ability to boast about your skills to friends on the PlayStation Network with a single button press. (The full retail version also lets you brag on Facebook and Twitter.)

Blur demo for PS3Blur demo for PS3

I’ve been pretty vocal about my love of this game over at oneofswords.com. I have hosted PS3 Blur gameplay nights on multiple continents, and have more in the works. I shared some of my personal Blur strategies for success (and people used them against me). I even had Gareth Wilson, lead designer from developer Bizarre Creations, on my podcast to explain some of the choices that went into the game and wound up getting him to reveal a key to success that I’ve been personally milking all the way to the finish line.

Blur demo for PS3: Power-ups

If you haven’t tried Blur yet, it’s understandable – heaven knows there are plenty of options when it comes to quality PS3 racing games. But the demo’s free for the taking as of today, so check it out and let me know if you feel what I feel when you play it – I’m @OneOfSwords on Twitter. And know that I’m serious when I say I will see you on the track…

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BigPoppaB on July 13th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

I respect you, Dan Amrich, for responding to the haters. It’s refreshing to get feedback from people in the industry.

That being said… I kinda have to side with the haters. In your blog about the poor sales, you mentioned that the release of 3 similar titles in a span of 2 weeks hurt them all. Failing to release a demo on PS3 (when the other two did) basically dug your own grave on this platform. I realize that Activision clearly has some sort of partnership with Microsoft (COD map packs released months earlier), but this was really unforgivable.

I’ll try the demo later this week.. because, its free… but like many PS3 owners its gonna be pretty tough for me to part with my cash to a company that clearly doesn’t consider us very important

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:36 pm said:

If you check some of the links in that article, you’ll see that even the games with the demos didn’t do gangbuster numbers. I think the demo aspect was less important than the simple fact that three games aimed at the same type of gamer came out so close to each other.

+ deathskr1972 on July 13th, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

Downloaded the demo today, it’s fun, though I was a bit disappointed in it visually, I expected the graphics to be much better. It reminds of wipeout fusion with cars & not as awesome graphics. It’s a good game, don’t know if I’ll but it though. As my 15 year old son said, it reminds of most other games of the same genre, nothing stands out about it!

+ KiLLaNoiZ_P on July 13th, 2010 at 7:53 pm said:

can u guys add avatars like nba teams, mlb teams, nhl teams, and nfl teams, i mean u guys have team from the world cup so y not make sports team avatars im sure lots people will buy them

+ ZAANOS on July 13th, 2010 at 8:00 pm said:

Blur is on my to buy list I do love some arcade racing. I love Bizarre Creations work and racing games in general. I was a fan of the PGR series on 360 (my 360 RRoD and am no longer supporting that console) so I’m glad they’re multi-platform now I will be downloading the demo tonight.

If I hadn’t left ATVI due to severe illness I would’ve gotten the game for $15 :\

Troll alert. @Liamario

BTW Sony please fix the Invalid Credit Card information error that many people are receiving including me…it’s preventing us from making purchases. :(

+ MERCY-666 on July 13th, 2010 at 8:35 pm said:

Theres no need for the DEMO. This game is AWSOME and Online is a BLAST!!!!! I Recomeded 100% and I’m not into car racing games. I’m into Fighters and adventures.

+ x9248 on July 13th, 2010 at 8:38 pm said:

Late or not demo’s are always welcome. I don’t know who’s fault this is (Sony or game devs) but PS3 needs to handle 1st party game demo’s better… aka faster.

Anyways, now that it’s here I’ll be trying it out. Thanks for the update!

+ CrusherX on July 13th, 2010 at 8:44 pm said:

Loved the down-to-Earth, factual post, Dan. I’d say at least a few of the ‘haters’ are just trolling. Ultimately, I’ve heard very little negative press at all about this game, and the release of the demo might just be enough motivation to get me to go buy a bigger hard drive to install it. :P

All the best with the game and your future endeavours.

+ pascalf1 on July 13th, 2010 at 8:57 pm said:

I bought Blur…I couldn’t never log into the multiplayer.

Did Activision or Blizzard give me my money back? No…so if I had the power to delete your demo from PSN, I would do it in an instant.

Activision blew it on this game and Blizzard blew it.

There’s a ton of people like me who never could connect to multiplayer through a router. Maybe you guys should have spent more time resolving these issues instead of working on a demo….

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:38 pm said:

The game has been updated a few times, and I believe that issue was addressed — I do not work in customer service, but I know some of the folks in CS were actually on the Blur QA team and have been helping people with their issues. Did you contact them, did you try it post-patch, and are you still having issues with it?

+ stennex on July 13th, 2010 at 8:58 pm said:

This is a shout out to third party developers. Stop using only MS Xbox360 as a first console. Sony and PS has a far more reach World wide. Blur is a great game. If the demo did not show up today i would not remember that the game was still out. You guys got to be careful GT5 is around the corner. Game companies seem to be closing if they do not reach there financial mark. Anyway Blur is great.

+ Gaara_Of_TheFunk on July 13th, 2010 at 8:59 pm said:

I’ve Been Playing Since I Finished The Download. The Game Is Sick! I Like That You Can Unlock Cars & Multiplayer Modes. One Question Though; Will Your Rankings & Unlocks Transfer Over To The Full Game?

+ BlooodyCow on July 13th, 2010 at 9:09 pm said:

Activision have no respect for PS3 owners based on all their favoritism to the other consoles. Activision continue to give PS3 owners the middle finger when it comes to demo, beta, and DLC contents. Activision shows no support for the PS3 when it comes to promoting their game on TV or other medium used to promote games. Their recent announcement of time exclusive DLC for their games on the other console shows how much they respect the PS3 owners.
I for one will never again buy any Activision game new, but will purchase it second handed. Screw us over and we will screw you over right back.

+ whitwhit on July 13th, 2010 at 9:29 pm said:

@45 who cares its business… i suggest this game to anyone who loves racers i got it cheap on amazon and i absolutely love it and the ranking system they have its a great game good job.

+ Dark_Vincent on July 13th, 2010 at 9:34 pm said:

I can’t log into the multiplayer demo :/ it keeps telling me the servers are unavailable. What’s up? I really want to try this game out @_@

+ YJDO on July 13th, 2010 at 9:36 pm said:

I’ll stay with Split/Second.
One i have a hatred for Activision and two people keep calling this “Mario Kart for older people”…Yeah…Licensed cars doensn’t make it a grown game gents it just makes it more “realistic” in a way. If you want a game for grown ups do pickup Split/Second because that’s where you’ll get that rush of intensity and sadly to say not in Blur.
Well i guess Bizarre should have looked for an alternative to Activision. Anything that gets picked by them usually fails if it doesn’t have the letters COD in it

+ BlooodyCow on July 13th, 2010 at 9:39 pm said:

@46 whitwhit
What your point about it being business? So because it is business, it is ok to screw PS3 owners just to play favoritism to another console?

+ adolson on July 13th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

I can’t believe how many people here inexplicably hate Blur just because it’s published by Activision. BOO HOO, THE DEMO IS LATE! WHAAAA! WE DIDN’T GET A BETA!!! Shut up, seriously. I bet if I look at most of your trophy lists, I’ll find Activision games all over the place, and probably Call of Duty Black Ops too, come the fall.

Blur is pretty good. I say this as someone who has actually PLAYED it. I like the neon colors – it makes it unique, and reminds me of Geometry Wars’ aesthetic to a degree. I generally don’t like car or racing games (GT5P is cool, Burnout Paradise too, using a racing wheel), but I’ve played Blur more than I thought I would (offline, mostly).

That being said, Activision needed to put a bit more weight behind it (and Singularity, too). Oh, and racing wheel support woulda been nice… I can make due with a gamepad, but I generally don’t bother – luckily I got the game for a good enough price that I decided to try it anyhow. I really don’t understand why ANY car game releases without even basic wheel support.

+ footballrule on July 13th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

Is the demo staying on PS Store?

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:45 pm said:

No reason it would be removed — people are downloading it and playing it as we speak. I played with ’em and it worked fine for me.

+ squallxlionheart on July 13th, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

When activision starts supporting PlayStation and Sony…Ill start supporting Activision

+ fuzzyclutter on July 13th, 2010 at 10:07 pm said:

Whats with all the freaking EMO”S with their ” you took it to other consoles first , so now ill go cut myself about it ” routine ? dang emo’s like to turn everything into a conspiracy . ” you should do everything i say … TRUST ME …. im a video gamer ” …. LOL just take your mood stabilizers and play your games and save the drama for your mama .

+ BlooodyCow on July 13th, 2010 at 10:27 pm said:

@53 fuzzyclutter
So because other PS3 owners demand equal treatment, they should be consider gamers? Ah yes, how dare people demand to be treated equal. I guess women and “color” people are all EMO’s also because at one point in time they demanded to be treated equally.

+ adolson on July 13th, 2010 at 10:33 pm said:

You get no beta, and the demo a little late, and suddenly you’re justifying your online hate-spewing by comparing gaming to racism and sexism? Give me a break.

+ BlooodyCow on July 13th, 2010 at 10:33 pm said:

@Dan Amrich
fail much? The MoH beta is currently running on the PC and PS3. They are having problems with the xbox 360 beta if you read their forums.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:42 pm said:

Yeah, I guess I do fail — I heard so many people talking about it on PS3, combined with the MOH love at Sony’s E3 press conference, that I actually did think it was PS3 exclusive for consoles. My bad.

+ KIT-_-KAT on July 13th, 2010 at 10:36 pm said:

Looks good! I’m downloading demo right now.

+ Stoffinator on July 13th, 2010 at 10:39 pm said:

I remember that book you wrote on PS2 for dummies. Still have it.lol And about your reply to a comment talking about the MOH beta. It should be on all platforms at the same time. It is after all a multi platform game.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:40 pm said:

The game was actually built intentionally without steering wheel support, from what I understand. They did not want it to be confused for a racing sim; it’s supposed to be a pick-up-and-play, accessible game for everybody. And everybody has the standard controller. It was a design decision, and I can see their reasoning. I can also see why you’d expect a racing game to support a racing wheel, though.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 13th, 2010 at 10:43 pm said:

Oops, think that was supposed to be for a post on the previous page!

PAGE 1 2 3