Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Jul 20

Latest Kung-Fu LIVE Trailer Arrives in Time for Comic-Con!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar Posted by Teemu Mäki-Patola on Jul 20, 2010 // CEO, Virtual Air Guitar Company

Kick off Comic-Con week with a look at how you’ll be kicking ass in the comics!

Kung-Fu Live

Hi there! Teemu Mäki-Patola back to give you the latest update on Kung-Fu LIVE since first showing it off right here on the back in May. With Comic-Con just days away in the US, this week is one of the most exciting times to be a lover of all things comics and video games. With that in mind, we finally wanted to show off a closer look at what it’s like to literally step into the pages of a classic pulp action-comic in our latest trailer below!

For those of you PlayStation Eye owners or future PlayStation Move owners, this trailer gives you a better look at exactly how our own Freemotion technology will work when tracking your entire body without any controllers. As you can see, we always find it’s best to let loose when playing the game, and dressing up in your favorite ‘bad-ass’ outfit is something we definitely recommend. As far as weapons go, the single-player experience is currently controller-free, and players can use their own inanimate objects to take down enemies with much more style!

Kung-Fu Live Kung-Fu Live

We can’t wait to show off much more of the game later this Summer, and you can look forward to learning about the game’s five-player multiplayer, enormous arena stages, boss battles, and more! The game will be launching on PS3 this Fall on PlayStation Network not too long after the PlayStation Move hits stores. Stay tuned to our website, our Facebook page, and right here to the for more details as soon as we’re ready to kick more news in your direction. I’ll also be happy to answer any questions you have about the game in the comment section below! Thanks for reading, and we can’t wait to get you all into the game, literally!

PAGE 1 2

+ zombie9 on July 20th, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

Looks great and I would never of in million years though of this. Oh Got my PSeye on top of my TV still waiting on the MOVE. I’m hooked up and ready to GO!!! Less than $15 SOLD:)

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Hi Zombie9,
    Awesome! Thanks for the support!

+ gevatheideaman95 on July 20th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

is it come out for the uk playstation store?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

It will come our globally later this year (late October/November)

+ Chuckbait on July 20th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

Game looks fun. Still wished it came out before the Move drops. Hopefully by then I’ll be playing old Saturn games on the PSN.

But anytime a ps-eye game comes out on the network, I buy it.

+ Chuckbait on July 20th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

Also, if anyone from Sony sees this… when is the new Trine level coming out? Its already out in UK…

+ Mosh_Pit on July 20th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

The only thing I dislike from this game is that you actually can’t block. Other then that, the game looks like a lot of fun.

+ ForgiveMyAim on July 20th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Very cool idea, I hope it plays well.

+ VenomXv on July 20th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Cool, a PS Eye game? Day 1!

+ Yoinazek on July 20th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

If I’m able to virtually punch and kick the guy from the trailer, then I’m sold.

+ ProjectSiX2 on July 20th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

Wow, i’m surprised the PS Eye can actually do this. Thanks for the post Teemu =) Is it safe to say that we can get similar motion controled games just like the “other” system?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

Thanks for the support ProjectSiX2!
    There are obvious similarities, so yes. :) Both do skeleton tracking. We are using just a normal webcam, the “other” system uses a special depth camera hardware. Both are suitable for a range of motion controlled games.

+ Sindred on July 20th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

I bet my animation is going to suck, hahahah.

This looks so fun and funny. I don’t know if I missed it, but I hope it has Youtube, because the adventures this thing will put on Youtube will be priceless.

+ Jeigh on July 20th, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

Along with ProjectiX2, I’d be interested to know if you guys will be doing more PS3 ‘controllerless’ projects after this one. I suppose that depends on how well this one does, huh? I’d recommend talking to Sony about being included in their next montage commercial for extra exposure- you just KNOW they’re going to do one for the unusual/unconventional/motion-based games they’ve got. After spending so long accumulating so many, it’d be a waste not to.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

We would love to do more of these kind of games and are certainly trying to do that. For example, using the PS Move with our tech gives some very tempting possibilities to broaden the available experiences and interactions: fullbody tracking + background removal + 1-on-1 orientation tracked augmented weapons and props + buttons in your hand. But yeah, to some extent it certainly depends on how this one does. We have tons of ideas and concepts listed. Hopefully some of them will become realized.

+ Brapp347 on July 20th, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

Sweet. Now the playstation has the move AND the kinect. Why pay $150 for kinect when ps3 has the potential to do both??

+ smurfmanx on July 20th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

About the 5 player multiplayer.
Will there be options so all 5 people fight against each other ?
Or, is it only 4 against 1 ?
1 on 1 with 5 people would be lots of fun !

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

Hi Smurfmanx,
    this one is still to be decided.

+ Left4monkeys on July 20th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

This game looks real neat.

Ive been waiting for a good full focused PsEye game that doesnt have its severs closed.>__>

And the multiplayer seems real cool to wish you guys showed it off at e3.

+ dimaguire on July 20th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

will it be a free ps plus game?

+ Hooligantuan on July 20th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen for the Eye. You guys are taking the Eye in the direction it was destined to go.

With sexy results.

+ NoobianGod on July 20th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

I can certainly be counted as one that is very excited about this title. Well done to you and your team! It looks fantastic and can’t wait to get my hands on it!

I truly hope your game inspires more PS EYE games.

And most of all thank you for all your responses!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 1:06 am said:

Hey NoobianGod,
    thanks for the kind words and support! Glad to hear! Will pass along to the team.

+ NoobianGod on July 20th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

Also, where do you think we could possibly land on perhaps getting the Comic Book (if it does turn into a full comic book) into the PSP (and hopefully one day the PS3) Comic Book Reader app to view and read?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 1:07 am said:

I think we can save the comics pages as good resolution pictures into the photos folder of the PS3. That way you could also get them on your PSP quite easily. This is still under research, though.

+ abzdine on July 21st, 2010 at 1:35 am said:

Dear Teemu, I have another question for you :) Is it possible to release a demo of Kung-Fu Live so everybody can see what it’s about ?

Thanks in advance :)

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 1:48 am said:

We are thinking about this. The problem for an independent developer is that we have to pay for every download of a demo. But yeah, this is still to be decided.

+ kdiep on July 21st, 2010 at 2:56 am said:

Do you guys work with Sony at all? It would seem Sony would benefit a lot from your camera tech. I’m truly amazed at how well it tracks your body.

I hope that your tech is included in the SDK if it isn’t already. Kung Fu Live looks awesome and it would be a real shame if only one game studio will be using this tech.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

Hi Kdiep!
    We are an independent studio with our own technology. And currently we are just happy that Sony is interested enough to let us write to their blogs and support us with visibility. We’ll see what the future brings.

The tech is likely to be available for licensing once the game comes out.

+ abzdine on July 21st, 2010 at 3:01 am said:

Oh i didnt know about that.. how clever is that Sony ? Now I understand why lots of great games on the Store don’t have any demo and lots of people dont dare to buy. This here really sucks but I wish you guys will be releasing a demo anyway because it’s an exclusive and there should be a kind of arrangements with the company.
I can assure that a demo of Kung-Fu Live will boost the sales a lot. But it should be a limited demo in time (like UNO) so people don’t abuse.

+ Robo_1 on July 21st, 2010 at 4:24 am said:

This is really Sony blowing hot air into MS’s face.

The game looks fab, and shows that PS3 can deliver both hands free and high precision motion control experiences.

I shall be getting this day one, it looks like a bucket of fun. Hope it does well for you. :)

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Hi Robo_1!
    Many thanks for the support and wishes! I certainly hope it does well too so that we can make more cool games. :)

+ bunt6 on July 20th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

Looks awsome guys, can’t wait!

+ WeezZeR_1405 on July 20th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

Wow..its cool to see a developer response quickly to soo many queries..not to mention the CEO himself.

I just have one question. Will it have 1 vs 1 mode where both players are using the PSeye? I don’t mind if this is done through online multiplayer mode. It would just be soo cool dodging and punching a friend online with both using the PSeye. Thats what i call online sparring..haha

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 1:15 am said:

:) Thanks!

Unfortunately we don’t have the resources for making an online mode for this. There are loads of bandwidth issues as we would need to stream the player’s video in real-time and the delay would be difficult to keep so low that you could react to your friend’s punch in time. However, we are testing with a specific 2 players on one camera duel mode (back to back and swapping the players to face against each other on screen). An online co-op would also still be possible. But both of these modes will be likely to bake in the research lab some more and rather come to possible sequels than to the first one. It also might be that the two players on camera mode still turns out to be too dangerous when immersed players (especially kids) would accidentally bump into each other anyway.

+ smurfmanx on July 20th, 2010 at 11:17 pm said:

i know you are working on it, but it would be nice to be able to somehow transfer the comic data (or even recorded gameplay ) to the pc so we could print out the entire comic book.
and upload the gameplay videos to youtube

+ smurfmanx on July 21st, 2010 at 5:20 am said:

just charge for the demo. i’d play it. and put on your website why you are charging for the demo and such.
how much do you have to pay ? perhaps just add $1.00 or .50 cents so you’d not have to pay anything or at least break even .

Please ?! :) can’t wait to enjoy your game.

+ mariosmaker on July 24th, 2010 at 11:43 pm said:

Will you be having a live demo at PAX by chance? I’d love to get my [figurative] hands on this piece of awesomeness before it releases.

+ smurfmanx on July 25th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

hi teemu, about my friend playing the game, he doesn’t own a gaming system is all.
Pax is in seattle. I hope you are able to make it. I’d love to play the game as well as meet you.

can’t wait to see the new levels.

+ OoAHLAWYoO on August 1st, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

very great game ,, what about trophies list? can we see it as soon as possible ?

+ tyty2fly on August 14th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

will the game Kung Fu live be sold only on the playstation store or will it be sold in gamestores such as gamestop? I would really rather if it was sold in gamestores instead of the virtual playstation store, because I don’t believe in buying anything online and I really want the game. I would really appreciate it if you released this game in stores instead of making it just a downloadable game. If you do this more people would know about and you’ll get more business. If you do this I will definetly buy this game.

+ tyty2fly on August 14th, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

please release the game in sstores and answer my question, because this is very important to me

+ koma1tose on August 14th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

@tyty2fly from the info they gave its going be on the psn store as the price will be under 15$ i doubt it be blu ray cuz then they charge more . its better download game then blue ray . ur game will always be safe

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 21st, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

Hi Smurfmanx!
I don’t actually know if you could even do that for a demo. Even if there won’t be a demo, you will still be able enjoy the game, neh? :)

+ smurfmanx on July 22nd, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

when do we get to see more levels ?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 24th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

At the time of Gamescom Cologne (August 18-22). We should have a new trailer then and if you happen to be there you can even come and try out playing in three different levels.

+ smurfmanx on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

will there be a way to just take the pictures to be in the comic book ? i have a friend who likes comics but won’t be able to play through the whole game.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 24th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

The game will allow you to just act out and take pictures to all story sections that you have opened in a separate menu. However, to open all story sections you need to play the single player through. So after each level, new pages become available.

Why would he not be able to play the whole game?

+ Nintendo451 on July 20th, 2010 at 7:06 am said:

Nice…releasing the game right AFTER the Move comes out, when a large majority of people will have gotten the Move, DRAMATICALLY increasing the install base of the PS Eye. Yeah, your marketing people get paid the big bucks for a reason.

Real question though, if you promote the game as a controller-less experience, how is the Move incorporated?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:21 am said:

Hi Nintendo451,
    the game uses the just the camera (PSEye) from Move. Where as the usual Move games will be focusing on hand based interaction, we are adding kicks and jump kicks broadening the available gameplay experiences for a PS Move owner. You need just the camera to play.

+ PrizeFighterX6 on July 20th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Your response to #6 (afrsoul)= EVEN MORE AWESOMENESS!

+ adrian1539 on July 20th, 2010 at 7:48 am said:

off-topic question: can you do a blog or somethin about assasins creed brotherhoods? and the game looks really fun but isnt it a bit wierd that your head will be facing the screen instead of the enemy? lol

+ PunchoThaBoss on July 20th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

Can’t wait to get this!

+ scorpio182 on July 20th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

I can’t wait for this. I think it’s a great idea and I hope it plays well. Funny how it took this long for someone to make a full game for the PSeye.

+ Zezzler on July 20th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

I’m actually REALLY stoked for this! I was a pretty big fan of Photo Dojo, but it didn’t have the kinda ‘umph’ that a console has, so this is basically my answer to that! Cannot wait to see more!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

Hi Zezzler!
    Awesome! Thanks for the comment!
    Keep updated through the game’s homepage and FaceBook pages.

+ KIT-_-KAT on July 20th, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

When can we expect more info on mulitplayer? 5 players in same ps3 system?? If so then i will most likely buy it. If not, looks good but i usually only get games when they got more than 2 local players. 4 player split-screen ftw!

Thats the problem with these days. Everyone adds online but forgets split-screen!! Thats a big selliing point for me. Espicially for PSN games

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

Yeah, you have a point there.

It is indeed up to 5 people on the same PS3. Only one player will be on camera (inside the game) though (more is a bit risky as they would be easily kicking each other for real). Up to 4 people can control the AI characters with game pads and give the player inside a serious whooping of as#.
    There is also local turn based multiplayer for points.

+ David2Crazy on July 20th, 2010 at 8:21 am said:

Awesome concept. Just going to depend on how enjoyable it is to play. Looks like a very shallow gameplay experience, but one worth checking out none the less.

I’d love to see someone take this concept and make a deep action or fighting game out of it that requires a dual-shock controller.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

Thanks for the comment, David!
    We have actually put quite a bit of effort for making the game skill based, increasingly with difficulty level. On the easiest difficulty you can get away with just pounding like crazy but on the harder difficulty levels its certainly not the winning tactics as the AI will block similar attacks and make counters. There is a combo logic based on looking for windows of opportunity. The game recognizes different ways of ducking, dodging, evading. If you evade the AI’s attack from close range, the enemy is vulnerable for a fast counter attack. Continuing your streak with varied attacks within a short time period raises your combo and makes more damage.

+ David2Crazy on July 20th, 2010 at 8:43 am said:

Ah, well that’s interesting.

I still wonder how precise can a game really be when its designed 100% around motion controls though. That’s why almost all the Kinect experiences look very shallow (except Child of Eden, which looks amazing and will also be on PS3 with the Move). Or do you use the buttons on the Move for anything as well?

And again, I’m not trying to downplay your game here. Its a really cool concept and I can already see me and my girlfriend playing and laughing our ***es off.

But I think taking this kind of idea and going the really hardcore, Ninja Gaiden-esque, route (but in 2D) would be a very interesting idea for a game. Just the logistics of that (ie: a game that requires the PSEye to put you in the game, but then only uses the dual-shock to play) is not really something that would have much of a market at this point.

But I digress. The game does look cool, and like Photodojo, me and my girlfriend will get a kick out of it I’m sure.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but can we add our own fighting sounds as well?

+ footballrule on July 20th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

Nice! This looks fun! I wish they would make Move lights for the legs for better tracking. When is this game releasing?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

Hi footballrule!
    Glad you like! The game will come out later this year (holidays).

+ zekececil14 on July 20th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

Never heard of it before, but I think i will look into this. Thanks for the post!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:34 am said:

Thanks for reading it! You can keep updated about the game through the game’s webpage and/or our FaceBook page (both linked from the story).

+ footballrule on July 20th, 2010 at 7:27 am said:

Also, does this game require no Move support? Just the Eye? If so, that is pretty something!!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

As answered above, it needs just the PSEye camera (adding kicks and fullbody interaction for Move/PSEye owners).

+ afrsoul on July 20th, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

pretty sweet

+ afrsoul on July 20th, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

will the comics be downloadable for the user….(i wanna give them out to my friends)… one other question…. will the comic all be the same edition

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:40 am said:

We are looking into different ways of getting the comics also outside the PS3. There will hopefully be a way to do this.

The story sections in between levels will accumulate into a full comic book while you play the game through. So you will end up with a full comic book story of your Kung-Fu journey featuring yourself on each page throughout.

+ Psikorps on July 20th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

So Xbox’s Kinect makes a move onto PS3 aswell…in a fashion.

Whats odd though, aside from the acting like a ass in your own living room, which is usually reserved for family reunions after to much booze…this looks like it could be pretty damn fun.

Thanks for the preview Teemu.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on July 20th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

Thanks Psikorps!
    We call it serious fun for people who don’t take themselves too seriously. :)

PAGE 1 2