PS4-Watch_Dogs

Ratchet & Clank: Going Comics

Cristian Cardona's Avatar + Posted by Cristian Cardona on Jul 21, 2010 // Associate Product Marketing Manager, Software Marketing

In case you haven’t heard, DC Comics’ WildStorm is releasing Ratchet & Clank in an upcoming action-packed comic series! Written by Insomniac‘s very own TJ Fixman, this brand new series will follow their adventures after the events of Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time.

“What?! Where?! How? Who?!” — We gotcha covered ;)

First, here are some exclusive preview images of the comic. Just so you know, the stunning covers are being done by CreatureBox (Insomniac artists David Guertin and Greg Baldwin) and the interior art is from Adam Archer.

Ratchet & Clank: Going Comics Ratchet & Clank: Going Comics

Releasing: September 8th, 2010

Where: North America, including all states, territories and possessions of the United States, and South America. The United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Whew!

Read on for a message from the man behind the legends, TJ Fixman.

After working on two full adventures and one downloadable mini-adventure, I’m extremely excited to help bring Ratchet & Clank to the comic book world. Over the years, we at Insomniac have watched like doting parents as the Ratchet & Clank mythology grew from a few small planets in the Solana Galaxy to a living, breathing universe full of fun characters and exotic alien worlds. It’s a universe that thrives on impossible weaponry and massive amounts of destruction while somehow managing to keep its sense of humor. How we came across that formula, I couldn’t tell you (though I suspect Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings has it under lock and key in his desk), but the result is a heart-felt mythology that somehow manages to bring out the kid in all of us — even when it’s our pen on the paper.

With that in mind, I’d like to thank you, the readers, for allowing me to bring Ratchet & Clank out for another adventure. Thank you for allowing me to give Captain Qwark the worst job a failed superhero and actor could ever have. And above all, thank you for letting me be a kid again. Hope you enjoy the comic!

Make sure you contact your local comic book shop to let them know you’re interested in picking up your copy when it releases! Keep an out here on the PlayStation.Blog for more info on the Digital Comic.

+ ShaniSPG on July 21st, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

wow.. can’t wait to get my hands on this.
And just to make sure.. North America covers Canada as well… Right?

+ Nintendo451 on July 21st, 2010 at 1:38 pm said:

AFTER A Crack in Time?! While that sounds AMAZING in terms of the narrative (R&C is one of my FAVORITE franchises of all time), it’s kind of discouraging. While I know Insomniac may have closed the chapter on Ratchet and Clank and are opening up to bigger and better things, I still miss the old charm. Guess there won’t be anymore games.

More reason for me to get the comic!

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Lots of good stuff and fan service to come in the comic series so stay tuned!

+ polo155 on July 21st, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

cute y not?

+ perrandy on July 21st, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

i wish the comics would be capable to be read on the ps3 :0

+ ImplodingBacon on July 21st, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

I’ve gotta say I’m pretty excited for this! I hope these comics lead into the next game!

+ KSPRAYDAD on July 21st, 2010 at 1:51 pm said:

So…its released in NORTH AMERICA…so obviously it is licensed for Canada…yet the PSN Store can’t seem to figure out how to give Canadians access to the Comics.

It a condundrum wrapped in an enigma.

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Hopefully Canadians will be able to find it in comic-shops! Call your local store and tell them to order it!

+ TheAlbraskan on July 21st, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

Well it’s pretty cool how there’s still a story going on, even if it possibly means there will be no more games (which I hope isn’t true). I might look into these comics, even though I’m not too interested in comic books. But then again the first Ratchet and Clank games were what got me into playing more PlayStation game and systems, maybe their comics will open me up to more comics too.

+ Mucudadada on July 21st, 2010 at 2:00 pm said:

DO WANT has never been a more appropriate response.

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Awesome… us too :-). We’re so so excited for it.

+ zekececil14 on July 21st, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

Thank you! Could you look into if there is going to be another game? I mean ACIT’s ending was a pretty huge settup for another game!

+ Coheno on July 21st, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

Awesome! Was afraid this was only gonna be phisical copies since I live in Denmark might be hard to get by, but definitely getting this! But whats the price gonna be?

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

TBD… though the print comics here only run $3.99

+ JABEE on July 21st, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

Looks cool. Are you guys planning on making another Ratchet or Resistance game? There’s usually one of the two planned for each holiday season. but I didn’t see one at E3.

+ GHenrik on July 21st, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

“Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Whew!
We can also confirm that it’ll become available through PlayStation Digital Comics this Fall!”

THANK YOU. Now we know it know the comic store will come within the year.

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

+ ADR143 on July 21st, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

A lot of people was disappointed on E3 that we didnt get to see Resistance 3 announced…

Are u guys even working on it?

if u are when can we see it?

hopefully it will be like RFOM

+ Lucreto on July 21st, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

I look forward to reading the comics. Ratchet has a dear place in my heart.

I am also upset due to the lack of a game from Insomnaic this year. I got a game from Insomnaic every Christmas and this year there is nothing. :(

It will be a quiet Christmas this year.

+ Axecution on July 21st, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Hopefully it’ll be available in Canada. :D If not, i’ll be ordering ever issue from the states as they release. :D

+ GHenrik on July 21st, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

“To note – for European territories will likely be available only through PSN. Though it’s worth a call to your comic shop!”

ASDASFADFJKHAKJSFHKAJadfharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

+ Jeigh on July 21st, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

@ ADR143 (13)

Brilliant strategy. They didn’t announce it at any major event nor through any major media outlet, but you’ve somehow stumbled upon the SECRET TECHNIQUE to coax it out of them. >.> Yeah…

Anyway…

O_O … ^.^ … !,! RATCHET & CLANK COMICS… @.@

I’m not really a fan of comics (at least not since 5th grade or so), but I think you’ve struck upon subject-matter that I’d actually read in comic-form. Long live Insomniac.

+ SykoTech on July 21st, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

Cool stuff. I hope we get to see some cool characters that haven’t been in the games for a while. Like Skidd, Helga, Skrunch, and Big Al.

A Crack in Time didn’t wrap up eveything anyway, so it’s nice to see the story continue.

Also, please make more Ratchet & Clank games. They are some of the last amazing 3D platformers out there. WOuld be a shame to see it end.

+ tomsau on July 21st, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

I know you said that in european countries it will, likely, only be available through the playstation store, but in GHenricks post he didn’t mention the UK. Does that apply to the UK aswell?

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

Not 100% sure – up to DC/Wildstorm I think. The best possible route though is for you to call your comic shop and tell them you want them to order it. The first and second issues are open for orders right now.

+ BlooodyCow on July 21st, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

Were is Resistance 3?

+ gmoney0505 on July 21st, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

This is one step in the right direction for Ratchet & Clank.

Now when will the full fledged movie from Pixar or anybody be released for R&C? I will really luv to see it happen. The game is really made for a movie.

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 21st, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

We’d love to do a movie version of Ratchet & Clank if we can find the right partners in Hollywood. That would be totally awesome.

+ wolfzero1 on July 21st, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

these look pretty cool

+ Robocommander on July 21st, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Does this mean that there won’t be any more Ratchet and Clank games? As I understand it, it seems that they will continue to appear in games, but there has been no word as to whether there will be any more games or who will be handling their development. Even High Impact Games has not confirmed anything as of now.

Can someone please clear up some of these questions/statements?

+ ForgiveMyAim on July 21st, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Loved the series since I was a little gir… boy

+ bow7 on July 21st, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

Awesome. I will be all over this. Have been a big fan of Ratchet & Clank for a long time now. Still need to download the Resistance comics as well. Must finish Peace Walker…

+ zekececil14 on July 21st, 2010 at 8:39 pm said:

@21
If you guys do make a movie USE PIXAR! They are freakin’ awesome! But whatever you do NO DISNEY! NO MATTER WHAT DISNEY SAYS DONT WORK WITH THEM! DISNEY IS EVIL!!!

+ Destiny89 on July 21st, 2010 at 8:58 pm said:

That is nice, cant you guys post it on the PSN store? really want to see a new Ratchet and Clank game, seriously love the series

+ Decptuhkon on July 21st, 2010 at 11:00 pm said:

Must Buy For Any R&C Fan

+ EmperorLawlight on July 21st, 2010 at 11:32 pm said:

No offense meant but where are the games? What was the last big release? When will be the next? Can’t we have games instead of comics?

+ scoobycool on July 21st, 2010 at 11:32 pm said:

Makes me even more hyped :). I never thought I’d say this for a comic, but day 1 buy for me!

+ TheNamekianClown on July 22nd, 2010 at 12:10 am said:

So what are the odds of there being book collections when it’s finished? I have a hard time keeping up with single releases and it’s just nicer to have it all in one place.

+ CDubyahS on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

SONIC unleashed wherehog fur animations >>>>>>>>>>> Ratchet on PS3
I would love to see animated 3D SONIC……
Doesnt Sony own 1/3 of Hollywood studios? Give me a break.. if there was demand for a Ratchet film, you bet Sony would be out there trying to capitalize and make a quick buck…they have a friggin A TEAM film out now!

+ Insane823 on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

Definite buy first day, I love Ratchet and clank and this is just icing on the cake. And the story and art look great.

+ Lucky13X on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:46 am said:

Dear Sony,

Please ensure a free preview issue or the #1 issue(likely not free) is put up in the Playstation Store in advance of this comics release. Comic books stores sometimes need a month lead-time to order a book, or a comic shop customer could be looking at getting a book’s sedcond printing instead of the more valued first print.

Thaat is all.

- Thank you.

+ Stellazira on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

Hey James,

Will the comics be available at PAX?

+ sandy293 on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:49 am said:

awesome stuff thanks psn

+ sandy293 on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

i love ratchet and clank games now their on comics!!!!!!!cant wait 2 read them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ TheGuardianFID on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

SOLD!!! 8)

+ Elvick_ on July 24th, 2010 at 4:39 am said:

God I want it.

Please release in Canada.

+ pmonsterX on July 26th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

Someone mentioned old characters returning…do I hear a certain tailless “Lombax” making a return??

but in all seriousness…I’m gonna have to plug the PS3 back in

+ LegacyGamer on July 28th, 2010 at 9:54 pm said:

[Hey James, Its me! Member from the forums that made that Shockwave Inducer in the weapon contest top 10 ^_^]*hug*

It puts a HUGE smile on my face to see Ratchet & Clank grow in popularity ^___________^ The games are so incredible, then figures – a second set on the way, and now comics! Congrats to you all at Insomniac! I will ALWAYS support you! :D

BTW, You mentioned in a reply that the studio would love to make a movie on the series! Oh my gosh, try finding the right parnters! Do you know how much money the movie would make!? ………..LOADS! A CG movie on R&C is a dream that many us fans want SO BADLY that NEEDS TO COME TRUE! :)
*Mad love to insomniac!*

+ digitalman123 on August 1st, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

Does this mean a new game is coming?