From the desk of Kevin Butler
VP of International Diplomacy
Sony Computer Entertainment America
As the star of PlayStation’s current advertising campaign, I get compliments on my performances just about every other day. But recently it has come to my attention that a certain television network named TV3 has created an amazing homage to my marketing prowess. A commercial that is nearly identical to one we created here in the states aired on TV in New Zealand, found its way to the internet, and ultimately to my desk. Few film greats have been treated to a shot-for-shot shrine (actually I think it’s just me and Alfred Hitchcock).
If you haven’t seen our PS3 “Montage” ad in question, here it is:
And Here’s TV3’s ad:
It’s been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If so, color me flattered. However, I do have some constructive criticism for the work that I would like to share.
1. No title for your guy? VP of Big Bigness? PS3 Commercial Tribute Manager? Details, folks.
2. The TV3 version was completely lacking in PS3 video game footage. Clips from Uncharted 2, MAG, God of War 3, or even clips of our upcoming releases Killzone3 and Twisted Metal would have really added some epicness to the spot.
3. The beard. I think it should have been longer.
4. I did like the slow motion effect at the end on the guitar solo. Way to plus it out.
5. Two-color mylar confetti > rainbow paper confetti. Just sayin.
It’s clear to me that TV3 appreciates great advertising and I’d like to thank them for their efforts. In fact we’d like to help them out and make our ENTIRE LIBRARY OF COMMERCIALS available for them to copy in order to promote their programming. I only ask that TV3 doesn’t use our actual footage, but all future homages of this sort are now Kevin Butler sanctioned.
You might be asking, “What’s in it for you, KB?” Well, I asked that too, and here’s what I’ve come up with: I’d like TV3’s support in making the PS3 the OFFICIAL GAME CONSOLE OF NEW ZEALAND. I see this as the only way to make it right with the world. Our super hero team-up could bring the benefits of incredible HD games, Blu-ray movies and the wealth of content available on the PlayStation Network to billions of New Zealanders. Only a total victory in that fine country will satisfy this situation. That, and a box set of Flight of The Conchords sent to the fine creative team in our marketing organization.
Let’s do this.
I await your reply via my Twitter account: @TheKevinButler