PS4-The Order

Kevin Butler and New Zealand

Kevin Butler's Avatar + Posted by Kevin Butler on Jul 22, 2010 // VP of International Diplomacy

From the desk of Kevin Butler
VP of International Diplomacy
Sony Computer Entertainment America

As the star of PlayStation’s current advertising campaign, I get compliments on my performances just about every other day. But recently it has come to my attention that a certain television network named TV3 has created an amazing homage to my marketing prowess. A commercial that is nearly identical to one we created here in the states aired on TV in New Zealand, found its way to the internet, and ultimately to my desk. Few film greats have been treated to a shot-for-shot shrine (actually I think it’s just me and Alfred Hitchcock).

If you haven’t seen our PS3 “Montage” ad in question, here it is:

And Here’s TV3’s ad:

It’s been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If so, color me flattered. However, I do have some constructive criticism for the work that I would like to share.

1. No title for your guy? VP of Big Bigness? PS3 Commercial Tribute Manager? Details, folks.

2. The TV3 version was completely lacking in PS3 video game footage. Clips from Uncharted 2, MAG, God of War 3, or even clips of our upcoming releases Killzone3 and Twisted Metal would have really added some epicness to the spot.

3. The beard. I think it should have been longer.

4. I did like the slow motion effect at the end on the guitar solo. Way to plus it out.

5. Two-color mylar confetti > rainbow paper confetti. Just sayin.

It’s clear to me that TV3 appreciates great advertising and I’d like to thank them for their efforts. In fact we’d like to help them out and make our ENTIRE LIBRARY OF COMMERCIALS available for them to copy in order to promote their programming. I only ask that TV3 doesn’t use our actual footage, but all future homages of this sort are now Kevin Butler sanctioned.

You might be asking, “What’s in it for you, KB?” Well, I asked that too, and here’s what I’ve come up with: I’d like TV3’s support in making the PS3 the OFFICIAL GAME CONSOLE OF NEW ZEALAND. I see this as the only way to make it right with the world. Our super hero team-up could bring the benefits of incredible HD games, Blu-ray movies and the wealth of content available on the PlayStation Network to billions of New Zealanders. Only a total victory in that fine country will satisfy this situation. That, and a box set of Flight of The Conchords sent to the fine creative team in our marketing organization.

Let’s do this.

I await your reply via my Twitter account: @TheKevinButler

83 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ StrykerIsland on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

Well played Butler. ;)

+ JSC31994 on July 22nd, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Kevin’s got a nice BC Rich!(thats the guitar)

+ TheGuardianFID on July 22nd, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

KB FTW!!! 8)

+ hypersackboy on July 22nd, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

Kevin Butler
VP of Awesomeness!

+ hehe11 on July 22nd, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

Permafry_42 I have to agree with u they should fix up the PSN in Canada first before moving on to New Zealand… Canada wants some PS love too, you know!!! :)

+ OBINATA_KITSUNE on July 22nd, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

You know what? i think ill start a little deal of my own. You all know Chuck Norris jokes? well lets pay our own homage to the one and only KB!!!! “Kevin Butler doesn’t sleep. He waits… He waits and plays his PS3.” keep em coming folks

+ Mr_Coats on July 22nd, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

Hi KB,

As a humble citizen of the aformentioned country of New Zealand, I can’t help but thank you for your kind and encouraging response!

For some time I have been bestowing the glories of playstation goodness on my friends, family and co-workers and I have longed for the day of a little ‘personal sony love’. As expected, it has come through a little ‘kiwi ingenuity’ aka copying, and i am thankful for the attention it has brought to these shores!

Please – continue to bring the ps goodness down under, and if you have a few spare days, come down yourself! I’ll show you our fine land, filled with grass, sheep and an out-of-proportion number of ps consoles..

Viva la playstation!

+ Bionicle123 on July 22nd, 2010 at 4:58 pm said:

Good stuff KB keep it up and i’ll think about that raise you wanted *tch* *tch*

+ boytbaliw2009 on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

this is amazing

+ LaZy_GiRL on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

Wtf the guy from New Zealand should have been a KB twin, that’d been cool.

+ Rinaldus91 on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

Glad the see some Flight of the Conchords love.

+ harryhardnuts on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:29 pm said:

As a true kiwi from down in little old N.Z i say “feel the love” we only take the piss out of something down here if we think it freakin rocks!!! PS3 is and will take over N.Z just ask my wife!

+ DivineAlpha on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:58 pm said:

Thanks for the great news, Kevin Butler. Looking forward to seeing you in other commercials for PlayStation! :)

+ CapinChronic on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:05 pm said:

I need a KB avatar for my PS3 account!! who’s with me??

VP Stoner Relations

+ TheHakku on July 22nd, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

@64 Totally with you on the first line.

+ IceCreamBandit on July 22nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm said:

best.blog.post.ever.

…and yeah..the beard should have been longer.

+ kaybee949q4yhqkh on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:08 pm said:

His name is Dai Henwood and he is a tool.

+ v8hotrod2 on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:09 pm said:

Hi PSN bloggers, I live in New Zealand and I’ve seen the ad, now I love the Kevin Butler ads. They are so Funny, but they are not broadcasted in New Zealand, (I wish they were) New Zealand’s stuck with PlayStation Europe ad’s which are so boring. Plus this shows New Zealand is a Big PlayStation and Kevin Butler Fans……I Love PlayStation…..

+ SignOfZodiac on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:05 pm said:

The Wannabe Montage was Waaaccccccck!

+ Xu_Davella on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:28 pm said:

omg an American that knows where New Zealand is!!!

It’s a proud day for us Kiwis :)

+ cooldude554 on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:28 am said:

what is with all the spaming of kevin butler i mean everyone says this is kevin butler and i will give you $75 if you send this to 2o people im sick and tired of it

+ SKlTSPEL on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:47 am said:

Kevin Butler you did it again. You are funny as hell.
Thank you.

+ IceCreamBandit on July 23rd, 2010 at 6:53 am said:

i’m with 64 & 65 100%

…guys, if you released 50 Kevin Butler avatars..i’d buy 51 of them.

From the laptop of IceCreamBandit
VP of paying Sony’s rent in PSN Purchases
Sony Playstation3 Player in America

+ PirateHarlock on July 23rd, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

This is funny, Sonys propaganda minister actually has a fan?

+ PirateHarlock on July 23rd, 2010 at 10:01 am said:

Oh btw, almost forgot permafry_42 is right the canadian video store is still a mess. Anyone remember the “free movie” they promised anyone who visited the video store? first it was a few days then by July 14, its now 3 weeks and seen nothing of it yet. That on its own is not a huge thing but its part of a larger pattern. Truth is Sonys been in this business long enough to figure out that they shouldn’t promies things if they cant deliver that only gets them bad press & lost sales. Sony needs to do more to generate goodwill among the userbase.

Btw, permafry_42’s far from the only one with connection problems. I was stuck with constant disconnects for many weeks as were a number of my friends and most of them are americans so no cheap shots from the troll brigade. Don’t make yourselves look even more stupid than you are.

+ scorpio1970 on July 23rd, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

@KevinButler: cool idea – they could endorse the PS3 with something like TV3 = PS3, what do you reckon?

— sent from my iPad

+ BalramRules on July 23rd, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

Kevin Butler FTW! XD

+ BayFire341 on July 23rd, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Ha, brilliant! Seeing as we are obviously such big fans down here in New Zealand, I think we should get hooked up with some of the content we’ve been missing out on. Hell, I reckon for a PSN+ discount we could change TV3 to PS3…

+ Heavenly_king on July 24th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

KB video is way awesomer!!! XD

+ Ragrieve on July 25th, 2010 at 8:33 pm said:

“Our super hero team-up could bring the benefits of incredible HD games, Blu-ray movies and the wealth of content available on the PlayStation Network to billions of New Zealanders.”

But we don’t have billions of people!

+ WhiteFriday13th on August 3rd, 2010 at 4:13 am said:

yeah! TV3\PS3 sounds like a marriage to me. But don’t stop at ” PS3 the OFFICIAL GAME CONSOLE OF NEW ZEALAND ” .

make ” NEW ZEALAND. THE OFFICIAL COUNTRY OF PLAYSTATION! ” after all we are GODS OWN COUNTRY so Playstation can be GODS OWN CONSOLE.

+ samlincoln on August 19th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

KB do you think that the PS3 need just a little bit of improvment?
If so, I have ideas! Makeing the PS3 Download quickly like around 150 megabits per- second, and download 5 ps3 demos and videos in the same time without slowing down! Then we would not have to wast our time to wait for our downloads for hours! It could be the best of gaming ever!!!!!

+ samlincoln on August 19th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

I am back KB!! I have an idea for a game!!! REMEMBER the ps2 game THE INCREDIBLE HULK ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION? If so, It was a fantastic game! good game play and cool grafics! How about this for the PS3, Lets have a INCREDABLE HULK ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION 2!!!! Better game play and even cooler grafics and something new like every building is destructable!! it could be the best game ever ONLY FOR THE PS3!!!!!! also it could be a new story and could be in the BEST HITS of 2011 or 2012!! please make that for everyone to injoy. Thanks!

PAGE 1 2