The Last Guardian

Jul 26

PlayStation Move hands-on: Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jul 26, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

At last week’s PlayStation event in NYC, I was pleased to see Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition make an appearance — complete with the new PlayStation Move control scheme.

I grabbed a PlayStation Move and a Navigation Controller and dove into a combat sequence several chapters into the game. Several details quickly became apparent:

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation MoveResident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation Move

Aiming is much, much easier. I was able to pop headshots, even at long ranges, with impressive accuracy using the PlayStation Move’s reticule aiming. You move your character with an analog stick (via the Navigation Controller or a DualShock 3), then squeeze the trigger on the PlayStation Move to draw your weapon. Once your shot is lined up, you press the Move button with your thumb to fire the shot. Easy!

From what I played, the new PlayStation Move aiming controls will be a big help to players who had difficulty adjusting to Resident Evil 5’s default analog stick control scheme.

Knifing is easier, too. In the original version of Resident Evil 5, swinging your knife was a two-step process: you pressed and held one button to ready the knife, and another to swing it. But using PlayStation Move, you can “waggle” the motion controller to immediately swing the knife at any time. It’s handier in a pinch, and makes close-quarters battles feel faster and deadlier. It’s also easier to smash open crates and barrels to find those all-important healing herbs.

Reloading works through a similar process: you pull the trigger to ready your weapon, then “waggle” the PlayStation Move control to reload. These tweaks make the game feel faster and nimbler, freeing up precious seconds during heated combat sequences.

Chris and Sheva are more maneuverable. By shifting the run button to the left-hand Navigation Controller (or a DualShock 3), Resident Evil 5 frees up your right hand for aiming and knifing. This has a liberating effect on the game’s pacing by encouraging more hit-and-run tactics — a must when battling tough bosses such as the chainsaw-wielding Majini. Much like the other enhancements to the PlayStation Move control scheme, this makes playing Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition a nimbler, easier process.

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation Move

If you already own a copy of Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for your PS3, you’ll be able to download a free patch close to the launch of the PlayStation Move (September 19th in North America) to enable the new motion-control scheme. This will only work with RE5 copies labeled “Gold Edition” — the original version of RE5 won’t be receiving the patch, for technical reasons.

Moving forward, all new “Gold Edition” versions of Resident Evil 5 that hit store shelves after the launch of PlayStation Move will come with PlayStation Move support included on the disc. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition also comes with all the DLC add-ons, including the new “Desperate Escape” and “Lost in Nightmares” scenarios, as standard features.

Have any other questions about Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition’s new PlayStation Move control scheme? Ask away in the comments and I’ll see what I can dig up.

+ KingXtreme81 on July 26th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Technical reasons, huh? More like money reasons, hm? Honestly, this is absurd. As a day-one owner of the collector’s edition of RE5, and a purchaser of all of the DLC, I’m pissed off. I really enjoyed RE5, and I was looking forward to playing it with Move, but no way in hell am I paying for another copy of the game and DLC that I’ve ALREADY purchased. Technical reasons…what a freakin’ joke. The agenda here is clear, and that’s to get people to re-buy the game. Capcom, you can patch the original game and you know it. What ever you put into the Gold Edition to make it technically able to support Move, you know you can put it into the original game; you’re just not doing it. You could at least offer a pay-for patch; a small fee to update the game to include Move support. But then you wouldn’t be able to charge as much, would you? Your agenda is clear, Capcom. We’re not as stupid as you think. As if it wasn’t clear enough, I’m passing, and you can be sure that MANY will as well.

+ almighty-slayer on July 26th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

I like the way my comment is in moderation because i complained about it only being patched into the Gold edition

+ KongWen on July 26th, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Why are people surprised that RE5 Gold is the only one that’ll have Move support? That was one of the first things they ever revealed about Gold back when it was announced a YEAR ago. This is not a sneaky trick being pulled now after the fact to sell more copies of Gold. Gold was always originally meant to be a Move-compatible upgrade for RE5.

I’m also kind of curious why some people are complaining about move not controlling like a d-pad. If you want to use a d-pad, why are you using a motion controller instead of a… d-pad controller?

+ Lirion on July 26th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

I’m not buying this game again, it’s not that good. I have the release edition, patch that one.

+ GJD21 on July 26th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

This sounds more like an infomercial than a report

+ Rapidfire1654 on July 26th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I have RE gold..Win.

+ almighty-slayer on July 26th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

Also, why do i have to waggle to reload? Sorry for the radical thinking but can’t i…Push a button? You’re always talking about how Move has buttons, make use of them.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on July 26th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

It’s actually faster this way, you don’t have to fumble for a button — you just shake and you’re good to go.

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on July 26th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

I’d love to see Biohazard 4 in HD with Move controls…

Number 4 was clearly the best and scariest, as far as I’m concerned, 5 just seemed like a shoot-em-up, only slightly better than Age of Zombies

+ Jvolel on July 26th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

The issue has to do with capcom, not sony.

If they could of patched the first game, they wouldn’t have made the alternative/gold addition in the first place!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on July 26th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

“Technical Reasons” yeah sure, just as the VS mode was “not” included already on the game disc, c’mon capcom, stop screwing with us. Also, if the code is SOOO diferent why can the GE and regular play online with each other? Capcom is getting worse every day.

@50 Schnello: that’s pretty fair, even if we still have to insert the game disc.

+ Sria on July 26th, 2010 at 9:09 pm said:

Maybe this will be enough for me to rebuy the game, as I already sold my old copy…hard to say since Neptune,Rorona, and ATIII are coming out and require my money more. And who knows what else is gonna pop out of the woodworks by then…

+ VIDEOgameDROME on July 26th, 2010 at 11:03 pm said:

I, for one, am actually really excited for this because once the Gold Edition was announced I waited for it to come out rather than buy the regular edition just because it was cheaper (just like I did later for SSFIV.) I imagine the control will be better than playing RE 4 on the Wii (aside from the obvious pros like graphics and sound.) Now if Capcom would have just done something about the frustrating Inventory system…

+ ironduck on July 26th, 2010 at 11:22 pm said:

Capcom is a weird Company…on one side they try to please the Hardcore Community with sequels to classic games like Mega Man and MvsC 3 or SFvsT on the other side they have no problem with spittin in the Face of the people who buying the games in the end.

All what we can say about it is EPIC FAIL…

+ digiboy123 on July 26th, 2010 at 11:29 pm said:

As said before, I would very much appreciate if the original release was patched in some way to support Move. Sucks that it seems to be a problem.

But as someone who has already bought the original and all DLC, I can only get Move support if I buy Gold Edition? Sigh.

+ Sanguinarious on July 27th, 2010 at 12:00 am said:

ONLY the Gold Edition? WHAT?

I bought the original game on day 1 for $60 as well as the dlc when it was released. I am NOT buying the game again, regardless of price.

Typical corporate Capcom. Only in it for the money.

Though my avy is from a time when Capcom was about creativity, I’m changing it.

+ ItaChu on July 27th, 2010 at 3:55 am said:

So …I have the Original Version and I have the DLC which basically makes it the “Gold” Version in its own way …and I STILL can’t use the Move with it? …Nice going Playstation! FAIL!

+ XxNo0b_H8rxX on July 27th, 2010 at 4:13 am said:

I am tired of the Move and Kinect BS…. stop appealing to casual gamers, you can not satisfy everybody at once. I remember back before 3D and Move, Ps3 was an awesome Hardcore console…your lucky 360 is focussing as much on Kinect as you guys are with Move and 3D or I’d switch in a heartbeat

+ Pitch_Blak on July 27th, 2010 at 4:43 am said:

I’m glad to see that this has a similar control scheme as the Wii edition of Resident Evil 4. Will the quick-time events incorporate motion control as well?

+ SAVAGE_11 on July 27th, 2010 at 5:37 am said:

no update for original RE5 owners because of technical issues,
really o’ i see
the issue of need more cash out of your wallets in to mine!!

now i wont buy move thats it! you guy’s had me till this b.s.
what’s next??

+ Buuul on July 27th, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

I still don’t quite understand how the trigger button ISN’T the shoot button. That seems weird.

+ Krakn3dfx on July 27th, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

This pretty much makes it less likely that I’ll buy Move, if games I bought that could get Move support won’t unless I buy the “Gold” or “Game of the Year” version of the game to get the option.

I had very little reason to buy Move before, this pretty much gives me even less reason. No rebuying a game I paid $60 for when it came out just so I can have waggle.

+ Krakn3dfx on July 27th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

And I have to LOL at the “different code” approach to making people rebuy the same game. Well played Capcom, but I’m not one to be suckered with.

+ gentlepie on July 27th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

I too bought the original edition when it first came out. I will not be buying the gold edition. I will not buy the Move, at least for a while.

+ Senju_Karim on July 27th, 2010 at 3:32 pm said:

Cool just bought the Gold Edition (and SSF4) and thinking about getting the move bundle. Still not sure if that type of control is for me but I like the consideration for hardcore gamers Sony is doing.

Now convinced Capcom to make a next gen Okami PLEASE!!! Seeing Amaterasu in MvC3 got me hyped…then depressed again. Please bring Okami 2 to PS3. PLEASE! No seriously, you don;t understand how great Okami is and how much I played that game. Clover studios…why! :(

+ alfian2 on July 27th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

I realy wanted to play the game with Move but im not going to buy the game again.

please do something capcom!!!

+ ZeR0wn3D on July 27th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

Yea just like the SF4 DLC and SSF4, ill take my moded outfits on the pc version of SF4 over this “UNLOCK” key DLC which i like to refer to as Download Cuts

+ SAVAGE_11 on July 28th, 2010 at 3:47 am said:

what a b.s. story, memory resources, if the engine is in deed a updated one you could easily install that engine update as well.
this has been done numerous times,

it’s what you call an update!!!

do you guys really think were like 5 years old or something??
it’s about money plain and simple.

+ EggySong85 on July 31st, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

This will probably be the first game I get for move… It’s a shame that since I have a ps eye already I’ll still have to pay $100 just for a move and 1 game, when new purchasers get a move, game, & eye. Unless there is a move + game bundle that comes out, I will most likely get the starter bundle, sell the eye to a friend, and use that cash on RE5… I would still be paying a little more, but I would be saving cash on a second game.

+ undeadlegion on July 31st, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Thank you Joveth for explaining the situation.

Many people don’t understand that there is too much in the original game that needs to be changed in order to add move support.

I think if you could work out a move bundle with the gold edition you would see a lot of success and a lot less frustration.

I have the original and I would definitely buy a gold edition bundle.

+ wmson59 on July 31st, 2010 at 9:36 pm said:

when and where can I buy just the move?

+ rnldrc22 on August 1st, 2010 at 10:01 pm said:

Too bad Move doesnt work with the Normal edition…. i wont be buying the gold edition just for the Move! thats really unfair to those who bought the normal edition like me :( It would be so easy to upload a patch to the normal edition enabling Move if they wanted to.

+ rnldrc22 on August 1st, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

i agree with SAVAGE_11, all about money

+ kissfan76 on August 2nd, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Wow I didnt know so many PS3 owners were cry babies. You bought RE5 early get over it. early adaptors loose out, we always do. Look at lots of the early adaptors for the PS3. Half of them if not more are dead and we had to buy a slim version. I waited for the G.E cause I knew it was going to be a bargin just like GOTY editions. You get all the DLC for the same price of the original or cheaper. I waited and got the GE for 29.99 at Gamestop when they had $10 off. And at E3 this year it was clearly stated that Move would be compatible with the G.E only so dont act so suprized. So stop complaining. And as for The newer games two to one they are set up to be patched like dead rising 2.

+ kissfan76 on August 2nd, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

@107 why not just sell your pseye and use the money to help pay for the Move bundle thats what I did.

+ Lahmy88 on August 7th, 2010 at 3:06 am said:

“However, when Resident Evil 5 was being remastered as Gold Edition, our R&D group was made aware of Move technology, so they re-balanced the memory resources to allow Move support to be patched in at a later date.”

So are you saying the Gold Edition is technically inferior to the orginial? I mean if they had to re-balance memory resources, what had to make way in order for Move’s memory allocation?

When Capcom come up with this awesome plan to kick early adopters in the teeth by ‘remastering’ RE5, couldn’t they muster some forethought and ‘re-balance memory rescources’ before they added the Gold Edition extras, thus making the patch available for both RE5 version owners? I know I know, it was a simple profit focused decision. Now you’ve let RE5 play out like your Street Fighter fiasco. Shame on Capcom. Shame!

If i didn’t fear for my PSN account being deleted as a result, i would offer up much much harsher words right here. Like anyone in Australia would understand – Not happy Jan!

+ madnutta1982 on August 16th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

When i found out that GE was coming out i traded my normal copy and got it for about a £10.It was cheaper to trade my old copy and buy the GE than what is was to buy all the DLC seperately, why dont u lot who have the normal edition do the same

+ AceBeeDee on July 26th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

yeah, RE4 was awesome on the Wii, it really changed the feel of the game and I must say that RE is the perfect game for this type of control. Keep that in mind before complaining about the re-buy, because the experience is so cool its actually worth it! believe me!

+ ProjectSiK on July 26th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

Looks like Sony is starting a trend within the video game industry.

First we have the option to rebuy PS1 Classics (No complaints, I love this)

Then we have the PS2 HD collections.

And now if we would like to utilize PS Move we have to rebuy RE5? Are you kidding me? Talk about a major slap to the face. I will not rebuy RE5 just so I can use motion controls. If this is going to be the case with every PS3 game that will have move support than you can count me out.

+ Kchow23 on July 26th, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

So I bought RE5 on launch date and now I need to get RE5 Gold edition for Move? Pass…

+ Kchow23 on July 26th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

how about reloading your gun and then going back to shooting? some people had issues with that

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on July 26th, 2010 at 8:56 pm said:

Didn’t have an issue with it myself, but then again I only played for about 15 minutes…before getting decapitated by a chainsaw.

+ Kchow23 on July 26th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

P.S specially if it’s like the chain saw guy… you have to reload then re-aim or so that’s what was said on Kotaku

+ MadMeat001 on July 26th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

with the long space of the blu-ray, why wouldn’t you ask them to put another resident evil game with move support as a bonus? it can be Resident Evil 1 to 4 or veronica’s code i don’t know :)

+ RuthlessEd on July 26th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

Just watched video of a new tech demo for the MOVE. There was an awesome “camcorder” mode — that moves the 3d camera as though the MOVE was a video camera. This gave me a good idea (and forgive me if it’s not a new idea). Using a 2-MOVE setup, put one move in some kind of head-gear device (like a forehead mounted search light) and the game could track your eye-movement. Want to look left, just turn your head left. Etc. Then have the second MOVE as your gun for aiming.

+ drdre74 on July 26th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

So all the people that bought the game already and bought DLC are just tossed to the side since you cant use move with it.

+ Morgus on July 26th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

Dear Capcom,
I’ve bought most of your PS3 games for full price, only to be nickle and dimed by purchasing your DLC that was already on the disc. Your shady business practices have been brought to light.
You don’t want to patch the regular edition of RE that i already bought content for, instead you want me to shell out more money for a shill motion control patch.
No thanks.
I won’t be buying any more Capcom titles. In a year i predict you come out with a super version of Dead Rising 2 only to add move support and screw the gamers again. I can already imagine the content on its disc that will have to be unlocked via a PSN code purchase.
For a company i have heavily supported since the 1980’s going back to NES, shame on you.
Our relationship is over.

+ pacnyc on July 26th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

No thanks. Forgive the cynicism, but until we get a nuts and bolts explanation of the technical issue that impedes a patch for the original game, I’ll continue to be suspicious. If games can be updated to include 3D support, it seems they could be patched for Move support as well.

+ Chaos_Bladez on July 26th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Why not patch the one everyone has?
That’s sort of disgusting Capcom.

I’m sorry, I don’t buy “technical reasons.”

+ Axecution on July 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

cant use it with the original version? LOL

k f u 2

+ Enalor on July 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Why is this that normal editions don’t get the PS Move functionality? When I heard PS Move would be compatible with RE5 I was like, “Awesome, when I buy it, I’ll have a game to play” but now it seems I don’t anymore, and I won’t be buying the game again because it’s not really worth it. This really makes me not want to buy PS Move anymore.

+ Jeigh on July 26th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

Sid, and anyone else listening on the blog: never, ever, ever use the word “waggle” again. In fact, for all future releases using this high-precision device, I would ask there be no “waggling” going on whatsoever. Either way, find a new word not associated with a children’s toy. That is all.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on July 26th, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

Good point — maybe I should use the word “shake.” I’ve never liked the word “waggle” anyway :-)