Jul 26

PlayStation Move hands-on: Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jul 26, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

At last week’s PlayStation event in NYC, I was pleased to see Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition make an appearance — complete with the new PlayStation Move control scheme.

I grabbed a PlayStation Move and a Navigation Controller and dove into a combat sequence several chapters into the game. Several details quickly became apparent:

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation MoveResident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation Move

Aiming is much, much easier. I was able to pop headshots, even at long ranges, with impressive accuracy using the PlayStation Move’s reticule aiming. You move your character with an analog stick (via the Navigation Controller or a DualShock 3), then squeeze the trigger on the PlayStation Move to draw your weapon. Once your shot is lined up, you press the Move button with your thumb to fire the shot. Easy!

From what I played, the new PlayStation Move aiming controls will be a big help to players who had difficulty adjusting to Resident Evil 5’s default analog stick control scheme.

Knifing is easier, too. In the original version of Resident Evil 5, swinging your knife was a two-step process: you pressed and held one button to ready the knife, and another to swing it. But using PlayStation Move, you can “waggle” the motion controller to immediately swing the knife at any time. It’s handier in a pinch, and makes close-quarters battles feel faster and deadlier. It’s also easier to smash open crates and barrels to find those all-important healing herbs.

Reloading works through a similar process: you pull the trigger to ready your weapon, then “waggle” the PlayStation Move control to reload. These tweaks make the game feel faster and nimbler, freeing up precious seconds during heated combat sequences.

Chris and Sheva are more maneuverable. By shifting the run button to the left-hand Navigation Controller (or a DualShock 3), Resident Evil 5 frees up your right hand for aiming and knifing. This has a liberating effect on the game’s pacing by encouraging more hit-and-run tactics — a must when battling tough bosses such as the chainsaw-wielding Majini. Much like the other enhancements to the PlayStation Move control scheme, this makes playing Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition a nimbler, easier process.

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for PS3 and PlayStation Move

If you already own a copy of Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition for your PS3, you’ll be able to download a free patch close to the launch of the PlayStation Move (September 19th in North America) to enable the new motion-control scheme. This will only work with RE5 copies labeled “Gold Edition” — the original version of RE5 won’t be receiving the patch, for technical reasons.

Moving forward, all new “Gold Edition” versions of Resident Evil 5 that hit store shelves after the launch of PlayStation Move will come with PlayStation Move support included on the disc. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition also comes with all the DLC add-ons, including the new “Desperate Escape” and “Lost in Nightmares” scenarios, as standard features.

Have any other questions about Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition’s new PlayStation Move control scheme? Ask away in the comments and I’ll see what I can dig up.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Jeigh on July 26th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

On my previous comment, insert the word “please” before “never”- apparently while editing it got removed, but it changes the tone of the message drastically.

+ Andrefpvs on July 26th, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

If I get refunded on my bought DLC, I’ll buy the Gold Edition. Either way, that’ll remind me not to get RE6 at launch price (if ever).

+ Toke_Buddy on July 26th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

I AGREE WITH 69 69 69!!!!!

+ Toke_Buddy on July 26th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

68 FTW!

+ igorsport09 on July 26th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

The navigation controller has motion sensor?

+ rawd76 on July 26th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

Argh really. I own the regular version and was so excited. Screw this, Capcom. I’m not buying the same damn game twice

+ CDubyahS on July 26th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

Im still chasing this Pt I just cleared the flash grenade medal today! wow what timing cant wit for this!

+ heyitsmichelle on July 26th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

@67 Yeah, so when you turn your head left, you can’t see the tv? Great idea… :P

Sorry about my bitterness, I’m just upset that people who bought the game day 1 won’t get move support. That just sucks.

+ dwolveM on July 26th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

“This will only work with RE5 copies labeled “Gold Edition” — the original version of RE5 won’t be receiving the patch, for technical reasons.”

Darn.. I just bought the wrong edition for this :'(

+ PSNmichal on July 26th, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

Capcom greed never ceases to amaze me. I don’t care much for Re4/5, can’t stand the new “RE” games, but asking someone who payed full price for your game on day 1 and bought all the dlc to do it again is beyond insulting. This generation standardized hard drives and patching through the net. Stop spitting at your customers.

+ Skater_Ricky on July 26th, 2010 at 6:41 pm said:

I recently Bought the Orginal Version of RE5 (Girlfriend bought me because it was on sale at walmart cheaper then the Gold Edtion) and Currently havent finished the game and was thinking about buying the DLC of it when I got finished.

I thought they would be Patching the Orginal Version of RE5 for Move Support and no one On the Blog here could confirm you would have to Buy the Gold Edtion to get move Support I even Directly Twittered Capcom and “NEVER GOT A RESPONSE” from them about this issue.

NOW I know to pass on to all my Gaming friends Capcom is a Cheating Reselling down low dirty pocket hungry slob.

And Will not Recive my money for DLC or Gold Edtion unless they patch my Orginal Version.

I would like a Free Copy of RE5 Gold Edtion for being a Orginal Buyer of RE5 and Not Being Told that I would have to Spend Extra Money for Gold Edtion to have Move Support.

I Really Hope Capcom Does Something About This ASAP!

+ GEMINIVice on July 26th, 2010 at 6:45 pm said:

Such BS that Capcom isn’t gonna patch the original edition of RE5…I like RE5, but like most have already said, I’m not going out and getting the Gold Edition just so it can be compatable with PS Move. I’ll be fine with the dualshock controls.

+ Spartancloud on July 26th, 2010 at 7:11 pm said:

Quote from Sid Shuman: “It’s actually faster this way, you don’t have to fumble for a button — you just shake and you’re good to go.”

Really it’s faster to shake a controller than to press a button that your finger or thumb is probably on anyway. I somewhat doubt that. Also needing the Gold Edition to play with move makes for technical reasons makes sense, but to a lot of people that’s one less game they’ll use the move with. Which can easily translate into it not being worth buying since there’s no good games for it.

I’m no game designer but I’m sure the regular edition can be made to work with the move with a patch. Sounds like the devs just want more money.

Anyway know I have Killzone 3 and Heavy Rain as reasons to buy the move as long as all editions work for that I might still buy it.

+ bentl78 on July 26th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

Would you happen to know if it works on the alternative edition( the asian & japan edition)? There is no PS blog for us asian gamers… and I actually have the original game, and also the asian alternative edition released later on… i am not about to buy a third..

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on July 26th, 2010 at 8:48 pm said:

I’ll ask tomorrow and see what I learn!

+ lanquan on July 26th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

Awesome! I loved RE4 on the Wii, so better graphics and hopefully a better motion sensing/control scheme will make take the series to a new level.

PAGE 1 2 3